ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
so did the Sixers seriously just miss out on both OKC and MIA 1sts? am I reading that right?
OKC for sure. Mia most likely. I knew this was possible from get-go. Even with ADP saying the MIA pick would be in the 17-20 range. The Bosh/Durant/Ibaka injuries pretty much killed those picks. Oh well, they'll more than likely have four in '16. Plus, still a lot picks to get clever and maybe pull something off beforehand.

Of course, GDog has to go over the top. OKC won't be the best team in the league next year. Still can't defend and injuries among core guys still a concern. I forecast that to be in the 22-27 range. MIA is probably a 12-18 range. Lakers in the 6-12 range. Plus, Saric.

Originally posted by gldendog:

But the 20th pick of Miami and 30th of OKC are gonna be future all-stars out of the '16 draft!!
And were 11 & 19 lock AS this year? Dude, relax. Everyone knew this was possible. For all we know it won't convey next year and they'll get it unprotected in '17 and it will be a top 5 pick with the Sixers coming off a playoff appearance in '16. Let it play out. Maybe, he uses these picks in trades to get something more immediate.

Oh I'm sorry ye of amazing patience. Sixers fans have only had to sit through 2 full seasons of intentional losing. What's another year of having to wait for 3 1st rd picks !

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

But the 20th pick of Miami and 30th of OKC are gonna be future all-stars out of the '16 draft!!
And were 11 & 19 lock AS this year? Dude, relax. Everyone knew this was possible. For all we know it won't convey next year and they'll get it unprotected in '17 and it will be a top 5 pick with the Sixers coming off a playoff appearance in '16. Let it play out. Maybe, he uses these picks in trades to get something more immediate.
Is there a stage past apathy?

so did the Sixers seriously just miss out on both OKC and MIA 1sts? am I reading that right?
OKC for sure. Mia most likely. I knew this was possible from get-go. Even with ADP saying the MIA pick would be in the 17-20 range. The Bosh/Durant/Ibaka injuries pretty much killed those picks. Oh well, they'll more than likely have four in '16. Plus, still a lot picks to get clever and maybe pull something off beforehand.

Of course, GDog has to go over the top. OKC won't be the best team in the league next year. Still can't defend and injuries among core guys still a concern. I forecast that to be in the 22-27 range. MIA is probably a 12-18 range. Lakers in the 6-12 range. Plus, Saric.
If this is the thinking then I see no chance they will attempt to be good next year. They'll want to be at the top of that draft, not just in the middle of it.

This post was edited on 4/16 5:37 AM by Ninetynine5.0

So basically everything that could go wrong in regards to the Sixers acquiring picks this year went wrong? Not that it makes a ton of difference as you're not getting much with these mid-late first round picks.

Didn't Hinkie on draft day said it was a slim chance that the picks would convey this year?

From a cap perspective, you want picks spread out anyhow to help manage your dollars. They're going to be packaging 2nd rounders to most likely jump back into the first and then trade 2nd rounders for future picks. You've got Embiid, this year's lotto pick, most likely Jordan McCrae and Pierre Jackson, and another pick (at least) from this year's draft. The following year you have Saric and a pick or two coming in.

They should take a big leap forward next season. The following, make the playoffs.

Oh I'm sorry ye of amazing patience. Sixers fans have only had to sit through 2 full seasons of intentional losing. What's another year of having to wait for 3 1st rd picks !
I don't have amazing paitence, but I do have an understanding that what transpired was out of my control and the team's control. Additionally, I knew this was very possible all along. Said it from day one. When they traded MCW for that Lakers pick even Hinkie said it was a long shot that they would fall out of the bottom five. We all knew this. The Lakers were 4/5 wins behind ORL for the 5th spot when that trade happened. It was a longshot for them to win enough games to get a better position. Really, we are surprised by this? Plus, there is still a chance (17%) that two teams below the LAL pass them in the lottery. Then again, if something like that were to happen, then chances are the Sixers pick will also drop, so be careful for what we wish for.

I do think that not too many things went the way of the Sixers with the OKC & MIa picks. Specifically, injuries to key players for those teams. But at the time of the OKC trade (Remember they only took on McGee's contract) the Thunder weren't in the playoffs and today they aren't in the playoffs.

Now, I was hoping to get at least one of these picks and that still might happen with some luck, or maybe a trade along the way here. We'll see. Overall, I don't think it's the end of the world. They'll still basically be adding Embiid and hopefully a top 4 pick this year. Maybe, Saric comes over a year early.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

If this is the thinking then I see no chance they will attempt to be good next year. They'll want to be at the top of that draft, not just in the middle of it.

What do you mean by attempt?

If you mean by courting the likes of Greg Monroe and Tobias Harris, then no I don't think that will happen.

Most "insiders" have said that they don't think they splurge on a significant FA this offseason. The Sixers haven't said that, but my gut feeling is that the insiders are probably right.

In the end, the key is Embiid. If he's great then things will fall into place eventually.

Originally posted by adp98:
So basically everything that could go wrong in regards to the Sixers acquiring picks this year went wrong? Not that it makes a ton of difference as you're not getting much with these mid-late first round picks.
Yea, remember when you guaranteed that the MIA pick would happen and I told that it was far from a lock. Well, it didn't happen. Or, not without some serious luck come ping-pong ball night.

I think twice in 25 years that a pick between 11-14 moved up to the top 3 and that's what is needed for the MIA pick to drop to 11.

Leslie%20Nielsen%20Nothing%20to%20See%20Here.jpg

Why would you spend on slop this year? The cap goes up another 20-30 million the following year. They'll have multiple good young players and will be attractive to free agents. If sloppy Boston can make the playoffs I gotta figure the Sixers can win another 15 games next year with the addition of Embiid, lotto pick, a healthy Wroten, and others.

How did the Bucks manage to win 41 games? Weren't they the Sixers equal last year?

The Bucks REALLY tanked it last season. They had legit talent and were expected to contend for a playoff spot. They went 38-44 the year before.

No burrs, I recall arguing the pick would be past the lottery and the only guarantee is there is no guarantee you get a player of any value. My entire argument has been the foolishness of putting so much hope is mid round draft picks. Half these guys will be out of the league or deep bench guys within 4 years. I didn't have a hard on for the. 17th pick in the draft.

Did you guys see the Sixers go full tank vs the Heat? A reporter near the bench said that Brett Brown let Nerlens and Embiid run all the timeouts and draw up the plays for out of time outs. That's some really really dedicated tanking.

You spend this summer because then when the cap goes up in 1 year those deals will be below market value. So if you overpay a little for a guy that you want, you can take that risk because relative to the new cap it will be a good deal.

Just give the Sixers a few more years, or maybe 10 or 20. Eventually the Hinkie plan is going to work.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by selmore1:
You spend this summer because then when the cap goes up in 1 year those deals will be below market value. So if you overpay a little for a guy that you want, you can take that risk because relative to the new cap it will be a good deal.
With the right player, yes. But not just anyone. Plus, I think you'll see some players get strategic this offseason and only take one-year deals. This way they can really cash in when CAP goes up. Yes, you risk injury, but I still think you'll see some of this.

No no sense on the Sixers pursuing a FA in the 29+ age range. If someone like Leonard, Butler, or D, Green wants to come here, then by all means pursue them. Very unlikely, though.

Originally posted by adp98:
No burrs, I recall arguing the pick would be past the lottery and the only guarantee is there is no guarantee you get a player of any value. My entire argument has been the foolishness of putting so much hope is mid round draft picks. Half these guys will be out of the league or deep bench guys within 4 years. I didn't have a hard on for the. 17th pick in the draft.
No one has a hard on. That's why I'm not outraged that these picks might not convey this year. Also, you can find good players throughout the 1st RD. your theory is not universal to every pick outside the top 10. Plus, having multiple picks can help you move up in the draft or in trades. So, short-sighted on your behalf. Stick to activities around the dining room table. And you absolutely disputed me when I said that Heat pick might not convey or could have been as good as the 11-14 range. You said no way they would be that bad.

Burrs, you can find good players anywhere but the odds of doing so in that range are not very good. That was and is always my point. Half the top ten picks will do little to nothing. That's just the nature of recent drafts. These kids all leave early, some pan out most do not. You are lucky to get 5. True impact players in an entire draft.

I agree 100% about the odds dipping the further you go down in the draft. I also know that the more picks you have, then the odds go up that you can find someone or have more assets to make other types of deals. Would you agree with that?

When is a good time to start expecting something from Hinkie, this team? Another total pass next season?

No, he needs to figure out to get back into the first round this year with those 2nd rounders and one of the extra firsts. At least that is what I want to see. Take one of the top 6 players, with Winslow and the foreign kid Mario Hezonja (spelling) rounding it out, and then get back in there and go get another top 15 player,

OB, without lottery luck, how do you expect them to get a top 6 pick, either Winslow/Henzoja, and then another top 15? Also, Winslow will probably go 4-6. Maybe, I misread your post.

Novaball, my goal is to win 26-32 next year with signs of good things to come. How? Embiid is really good, Noel improves even more, their hopefully top 5 pick produces/develops, and maybe they add another fringe player or two (via draft & FA) that chips in. I don't think it's far fetched.

OB, without lottery luck, how do you expect them to get a top 6 pick, either Winslow/Henzoja, and then another top 15? Also, Winslow will probably go 4-6. Maybe, I misread your post.

Novaball, my goal is to win 26-32 next year with signs of good things to come. How? Embiid is really good, Noel improves even more, their hopefully top 5 pick produces/develops, and maybe they add another fringe player or two (via draft & FA) that chips in. I don't think it's far fetched.
Any chance this Thomas Robinson can turn into a player? I know he was a high pick who has not panned out yet.

If you mean by courting the likes of Greg Monroe and Tobias Harris, then no I don't think that will happen.

Most "insiders" have said that they don't think they splurge on a significant FA this offseason. The Sixers haven't said that, but my gut feeling is that the insiders are probably right.

In the end, the key is Embiid. If he's great then things will fall into place eventually.
I mean exactly that - filling in the roster to any semblance of real players. They will just add Embiid and call it a day as far as adding legitimate pieces. That's not trying to be competitive and by virtue of that, it's pretty much what I said. They will be in tank mode again, hoping to a lot of L's and a lottery position. At least that's what I think.

This post was edited on 4/16 1:03 PM by Ninetynine5.0

Sorry Burrs - I meant if they have a top 6 pick (which is a lock) that they grab one of the top 4 (Towns, Russell, Okafor, Mudiay) OR Winslow or Mario. I consider them the next two - not huge on Stanley Johnson. Then get back into the top 15.

Now the wild card is who becomes available around the draft. There are always surprises - IE Jrue Holiday being traded, Elton Brand being traded to the Clippers for Tyson Chandler, Ray Allen to Boston, etc. Hinkie has a surplus of picks to move.

Originally posted by CWertz:

Any chance this Thomas Robinson can turn into a player? I know he was a high pick who has not panned out yet.
He played very well for the Sixers. Pretty sure they'll resign him. He's a great defensive PF off the bench. His Rebounds Per is off the charts. Plus is a physical guy in the paint. Throws a different look out there.

I mean exactly that - filling in the roster to any semblance of real players. They will just add Embiid and call it a day as far as adding legitimate pieces. That's not trying to be competitive and by virtue of that, it's pretty much what I said. They will be in tank mode again, hoping to a lot of L's and a lottery position. At least that's what I think.

This post was edited on 4/16 1:03 PM by Ninetynine5.0
Well, they'll add Embiid and their pick this year for sure. Maybe, Saric comes over early. Maybe, they do sign a FA if the RIGHT one is available and willing to come. Most people have thought all along that a significant FA piece probably wouldn't come before the 2016-2017 season.

You call it tanking, but if Noel, Embiid, this year's #1, maybe some of the 2nd Rders, or possibly someone acquired in a trade/FA are all out there playing, then I'll call it developing. No sense in adding a FA until you're ready to take that next step. And we have to see if Embiid is going to be that star that many think he can be.

What the Sixers are doing and what say the Knicks are doing are totally different. (Just as example) Remember, Phil said playoffs before this year. Sixers' managment has at the very least been honest about their plan. Now, the Knicks have an aging GM, an aging "star" player coming off a significant injury, a 2-5 high pick this year (No #1 next year), and CAP SPACE that they will more than likely want to spend this year. I really don't see any of the "marquee" FAs going there. But they could land a few next tier, tier after that types, like Monroe and Harris, which has been publicly discussed. If 'Melo comes back healthy, you add guys like that, pair them with a high pick, then they probably can get right into that 6-8 range come playoff time in the East, but that's where it will end and they'll never build off of that until Melo and his salary are gone.

Again, I'm all for going out and getting a FA, but the guys that I like, and who I think fit best with this team are all restricted FAs and very unlikely to get.

I didn't see a whole lot of Thomas Robinson prior to joining the Sixers. But it took me all of two games to realize that someone needs to sit him down and show him about ten hours of Dennis Rodman film. He plays extremely hard, can defend and compete on that end, and rebounds his ass off. He'll hit the floor and do some dirty work. His flaws are on the offensive end (Solid around the basket), where he often thinks he can do things that he's not capable of doing -- An ill-advised shot, over-dribbling, a wild pass, etc......He needs to learn to live with the skills that he is very good at and then coaches/GMs will trust him more. Seems like a good dude. If He can understand his role better, then he can be a productive bench player and be a capable starter in a pinch. There's a lot to like, but sometimes he thinks he is better than he really is on the offensive end. I'd like to see him back, but I guess that will depend on who wants to pay him what in the open market. I think he's restricted, though.

I agree 100% about the odds dipping the further you go down in the draft. I also know that the more picks you have, then the odds go up that you can find someone or have more assets to make other types of deals. Would you agree with that?
Yes, but it's also an acknowledgement of my position: the Sixers have conceeded the point it takes luck so they are simply increasing their chances of being lucky in the draft. Don't confuse increasing your chances of being lucky for a tried and true strategy that might actually work.

ADP, I'm pretty sure there are other parts of their plan then just striking gold via the draft. Hinkie has said numerous times that they won't succeed on every pick. I doubt that simply hoping for luck in the draft is the extent of their plan.

ND, I'm only saying that skill set resembles that of Rodman in that he is an excellent rebounder and energy guy. He's the type a guy that will go into the stands for a loose ball. The difference is that Rodman never really tried to do things outside of his skill set. He kept it simple. Sometimes Robinson doesn't keep it simple and it's what gets him in trouble. I'm not saying he can be a HOF, but at some level can be effective if he patented his game after Rodman.

ND, I'm only saying that skill set resembles that of Rodman in that he is an excellent rebounder and energy guy. He's the type a guy that will go into the stands for a loose ball. The difference is that Rodman never really tried to do things outside of his skill set. He kept it simple. Sometimes Robinson doesn't keep it simple and it's what gets him in trouble. I'm not saying he can be a HOF, but at some level can be effective if he patented his game after Rodman.
Burrs, good point. Robinson's rebounds per minutes played are off the charts.

The 76ers will add at least one major impact player to go with Noel and Embid. Saric could come one year early as well. Brown said he is going over tomorrow and spending a week with him in Europe. It would not surprise me if he does come over to the States this season. Hinke also has the luxury if he wants to use the furture # 1's he has for next season and move up for another impact player this season or simply wait There are certainly a lot of options.

Tim Duncan is incredible. What a performance last night. Where does he rank among all time greats in your book? His career and everything he and his teams have accomplished have been nothing short of amazing.

Rajon Rondo - what a punk. His actions on Tuesday were disgraceful. I hope he played his way out of a lot of money next season. I always thought he was overrated anyway and the beneficiary of playing with 3 hall of famers.

Anthony Davis - I will gladly eat my words on hoping the Thunder made the playoffs. Davis and the Pelicans are giving the Warriors all they can handle. I didn't see too much of Davis this season before the playoffs. Wow. He is worthy of all the praise he gets.

Raptors - they have to be extremely disappointed being down 2-0. Lowry has got to find a way to stay on the court. The refs have been pretty terrible in this series with a lot of ticky tack fouls. I am hoping Lowry comes out tomorrow with a monster game.

Last edited:
Another thread that has literally zero to do with a CoP team devolves into a CoP thread about a really bad team. Shocking. #SSG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT