ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft

Agholor is tailor made to a Chip Kelly offense. A terror after the catch. And ready to play. Good player. Good hands. Good athlete.

As for Perriman - his ceiling is higher but he's not as safe a pick. Perriman's a freak athlete but his hands and route running need a lot of work. Agholor isn't the same sort of specimen but is much more sure handed and a much better route runner. You can safely assume Agholor will be a good player but not a great player. Perriman could be anywhere from a bust to a superstar.

Gil Brandt put his guess for the Eagles' pick at 20 in an envelope in March

CD5CCjjWoAAR10G.jpg

Reactions: kjbert
I'm thinking the Eagles' did put a significant offer together for Tenn. I believe the rumor of multiple picks and players to be true. Of course, after the fact it serves Chip nothing good to confirm such a thing. My sense is that Tenn football people probably liked and wanted the package, but ownership didn't want to pass up a chance to put a face on their irrelevant franchise. If that package was in fact true, then Tenn was silly for shooting it down.

I would have been ok with the trade, but one positive is that they didn't gut their defense. If Bradford can stay on the field then I think the offense can be better with him than any other QB Chip has had since he's been here.

Reactions: nardibynature123
I can't believe Tenn declined that offer. Seriously a bunch of morons. For a QB that doesn't remotely fit their scheme. Absolutely ridiculous.

It's also possible that TEN viewed the players the Eagles were offering as not a fit for their scheme. Part of the reason that you don't see a lot of player trades in the NFL, and when you do, usually don't see top dollar paid. Scheme so important.

Tenn went like 2-14 last year. They might want to consider what their scheme is exactly.

It's also possible that TEN viewed the players the Eagles were offering as not a fit for their scheme. Part of the reason that you don't see a lot of player trades in the NFL, and when you do, usually don't see top dollar paid. Scheme so important.

but the QB they took does not fit their head coach's scheme whatsoever

I tend to think that at the end of the day it was not Whisenhunt's call. Doubt he has full personnel control. The franchise needed a guy to engage the fans. If he doesn't like it, like someone said above -- temporary problem, he can coach someplace else.

And, assuming MM doesn't get hurt (and even if he does), in all likelihood offers frm Chip and potentially others will be there in the future. Won't be the price he could've gotten now, but they paid for an option on it working out, see more upside for their franchise.

but the QB they took does not fit their head coach's scheme whatsoever

Wisenhunt is not exactly Tom Landry here. Guy has won 10 games in the NFL exactly ONE time. The QB will outlast the coach here. Mariota has a lot of tools - and he has a brain. He's capable of learning.

The reason Wisenhunt has a head coaching job is due to work with QB'ss. If you're paying him you believe in his ability to develop your QB. Obviously you also consult with him regardless of who has final say. However, if you believe MM is a top flight talent and you already believe in wisenhunt, it's much less about fit given his area of expertise is QB play. Can you coach this guy? Yes, go do it. QUOTE="Ninetynine5.0, post: 92877, member: 2034"]Wisenhunt is not exactly Tom Landry here. Guy has won 10 games in the NFL exactly ONE time. The QB will outlast the coach here. Mariota has a lot of tools - and he has a brain. He's capable of learning.[/QUOTE]

Tenn went like 2-14 last year. They might want to consider what their scheme is exactly.

Exactly. They obviously need a whole lot help. If you can't fit a Cox/Kendricks into your scheme, then maybe you should find another line of work.

Generally, the whole scheme thing cracks me up with these my way or the higheay, I invented the game NFL people. Get talent first and foremost.

Reactions: nardibynature123
If the trade was indeed offered (it's kinda hard to be sure of that in any event) - it makes it hard to believe the trade of Bradford for the #12 was ever there for Chip. The 19 and the 20 was too far to drop for TENN - could the 12 have sealed it? Again, hard to say. On paper it appears like a heavy offer in any event. Even heavier than 3 firsts. I think if I am an Eagles fan, I am exhaling to some extent. They got what appears to be an NFL ready player at a position they need and they did not gut their defense to do it.

Still some time to go here but thought there might have been a few more fireworks last night. Pretty boring night all in all.

I am thrilled the Titans turned the deal down. Now the Eagles just need to keep Bradford in 1 piece. Ugh.

Wonder if he makes a play for Brett Hundley today....

Fletcher Cox alone is better than anyone Tennessee could take a 2. He's a BEAST. And not even entering his prime yet. Throw in a very good LB like Kendricks, a decent corner in Boykin, 2 #1 picks, and a #3. That's a ton of value. Oh and apparently Tennessee could've had Bradford thrown in as well.

The Titans wanted three first round draft picks, not really the players. They probably didn't want to have to pay Cox and Kendricks and certainly didn't want to pay for Sam Bradford. Wish they would have taken the deal because I am not totally sold on Mariota.

The Titans wanted three first round draft picks, not really the players. They probably didn't want to have to pay Cox and Kendricks and certainly didn't want to pay for Sam Bradford. Wish they would have taken the deal because I am not totally sold on Mariota.

Agreed on Mariota especially in the Titans offense. By not taking a generous offer from the Eagles, they had better hope he works out. Mettenberger has already stated he intends to compete and win the job in camp. That would be very embarrassing but also might be the best thing for Mariota. Unlike Winston in Tampa, he has very little work with.

Fletcher Cox alone is better than anyone Tennessee could take a 2. He's a BEAST. And not even entering his prime yet. Throw in a very good LB like Kendricks, a decent corner in Boykin, 2 #1 picks, and a #3. That's a ton of value. Oh and apparently Tennessee could've had Bradford thrown in as well.

If Cox was ever involved in the trade, then the Titans were out of their minds for not taking the deal and I would question Kelly's sanity as well if in fact he was included.

I love Cox (pardon the pun) but I'm not sure I buy into some Birds fans here making him into the second coming of Jerome Brown. He's an outstanding player and a Pro Bowler, had been durable and hopefully will continue to improve and have a great career, but I don't know that he's that rare NFL player that you would prefer over a guy you really think could be a franchise QB. Maybe partially because the Birds are in a 3-4 now, but I don't see him as quite as disruptive as some of those sorts of defensive players, rather extremely solid and a plus guy against the run and pass.

If the Titans really don't believe in Mariota, then the argument has merit. But if you think you're selecting one of the handful of the QBs in the league that can win you SBs, Fletcher Cox wouldn't change your mind.

Pretty cool to have a kid drafted from our team (West Cath) in WR Jaelen Strong. Also, two other recent players RB Raymond Maples (Army/Packers) and RB Rob Hollomon (Cent Conn St/Saints) were signed as free agents over the weekend.

Miami reportedly bringing their LSU players with them to meet with La'el Collins today. getting him would be awesome, basically a free first rounder signed to a dirt cheap contract

Miami reportedly bringing their LSU players with them to meet with La'el Collins today. getting him would be awesome, basically a free first rounder signed to a dirt cheap contract

Provided of course he didnt kill his ex GF and his unborn child.

I dont think the Po Po have actually cleared him have they? He's still not a suspect, but I have not read that he is cleared by the police, only his agent.

I don't think he was cleared yet. Also, won't be all that cheap, at least half a dozen teams are interested and he is a FA. Could come down to cap space flexibility.

I don't think he was cleared yet. Also, won't be all that cheap, at least half a dozen teams are interested and he is a FA. Could come down to cap space flexibility.

there is a capped amount that a UDFA can make and its not very much. every team is on an even playing feel regarding a contract (minus the fact that some states don't have income tax)

The reports of what Philly offered we not accurate. I can guarantee Chip Kelly didn't offer two first round picks, Cox and the linebacker. If he did, Mariota would be an Eagle and Kelly would be a moron.
I love Cox (pardon the pun) but I'm not sure I buy into some Birds fans here making him into the second coming of Jerome Brown. He's an outstanding player and a Pro Bowler, had been durable and hopefully will continue to improve and have a great career, but I don't know that he's that rare NFL player that you would prefer over a guy you really think could be a franchise QB. Maybe partially because the Birds are in a 3-4 now, but I don't see him as quite as disruptive as some of those sorts of defensive players, rather extremely solid and a plus guy against the run and pass.

If the Titans really don't believe in Mariota, then the argument has merit. But if you think you're selecting one of the handful of the QBs in the league that can win you SBs, Fletcher Cox wouldn't change your mind.

Two reasons: titans make that deal in a heartbeat and Kelly said he didn't offer those trades. If you believe the birds made that offer and tennessee turned it down I have a bridge to sell you.

adp, you could be correct but Kelly like most NFL coaches is a born liar as he should be.

there is a capped amount that a UDFA can make and its not very much. every team is on an even playing feel regarding a contract (minus the fact that some states don't have income tax)
Good call, didn't know about UDFA limit. Also, Florida 0% income tax rate sounding pretty competitive. Still needs to be cleared.

Two reasons: titans make that deal in a heartbeat and Kelly said he didn't offer those trades. If you believe the birds made that offer and tennessee turned it down I have a bridge to sell you.

If you're going to give me Kelly said he didn't offer those traded then I also have a bridge to sell. C'mon man. Kelly has been lying his balls off, which I have zero problem with.

That's one reason. The other being that trade makes zero sense and the Titans would have been all over it. They need an entire team.

Collins' agent must have told teams not to draft him in later rounds. Someone is gonna get a steal. Really sucks for that guy that he's gotta wait 3 yrs to get real $.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT