ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Offseason

bmoneynova

VUSports.com Legend
Oct 21, 2005
combine finishing up today and free agency begins in about 2 weeks. thoughts on what your team will do? strong rumors that the Eagles will be the front-runners for Byron Maxwell

Happy to see that one of our kids (Jaelen Strong) did well and seems to have helped himself. Was already projected as a late 1st-RDer or 2nd RD pick. Good kid, whose best days are ahead of him.

Would not mind at all if the 49ers drafted Strong at #15 but I think they will go DL

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
combine finishing up today and free agency begins in about 2 weeks. thoughts on what your team will do? strong rumors that the Eagles will be the front-runners for Byron Maxwell
Maxwell should be the Eagles top priority.

Originally posted by TheDean:
Would not mind at all if the 49ers drafted Strong at #15 but I think they will go DL
While not overly deep, I think the DL has some potential with Williams/Dorsey at the NT and Carradine, Dial, Jerrod-Eddie and potentially Justin Smith, if he doesn't retire. I'd look for 1/2 DL in the middle rounds as well as a TE.

I think they'll likely go WR as they won't resign Crabtree, they'll lower Stevie Johnson's cap number and Patton/Ellington need to show a lot more.

Personally, I think they just need to get some new depth as guys like Dahl, J. Martin and A. Brooks will probably get cut or traded and then just to get healthy. They also drafted 5 guys last year who didn't play a down for them due to an injury in college, so I think they'll be some depth...just need more of it.

Maxwell is gonna get F*ck You money. Not sure he's worth that considering he plays in a secondary with THREE pro bowlers. Maxwell also made to look better by his awful backup Simon coming in and getting torched. That doesn't mean Maxwell is a star. It might just means Simon stinks.

Maxwell is an upgrade for sure but not sold he's worth f*ck you dollars.

Originally posted by gldendog:
Maxwell is gonna get F*ck You money. Not sure he's worth that considering he plays in a secondary with THREE pro bowlers. Maxwell also made to look better by his awful backup Simon coming in and getting torched. That doesn't mean Maxwell is a star. It might just means Simon stinks.

Maxwell is an upgrade for sure but not sold he's worth f*ck you dollars.
isnt Fletcher/Cooper scheduled to make like $8-9 million this year? cut those turds and sign Maxwell

Miami needs to cut the following:
Dannell Ellerbe
Philip Wheeler
Brian Hartline
Randy Starks

some FA targets I would like Miami to be after:

Dan Williams
Kareem Jackson
Michael Crabtree
Mike Iupati
Clint Bolig
James Carpenter
Andre Holmes/Rod Streater
Sean Weatherspoon

would also like Jared Odrick/Charles Clay re-signed.

Gdgo, I dont think Maxwell will get near F U money but I think he'll get a nice pay day. Probably will get overpaid but I dont think it will be gigantic.

For the Cowboys, there are alot of tough decisions ahead. I definitely do not want to resign Demarco because the O-Line is so good that I don't think it's all that important who's in the backfield. The only place I change my tune in that discussion is in regards to AP. His agent came out today and said that he doesn't want to ever play another game for the Vikings. I'm hoping that somehow he gets out of the last year of his deal with the Vikings and he winds up on the Cowboys whether it be by trade or they cut him and he signs a new deal. He would be a MONSTER with that O-Line and passing game.

When it comes to Dez it gets even more difficult. Supposedly there is a video out there of Dez doing something awful that would have serious repercussions but it hasn't been released yet. I've heard that team officials have seen it and it's bad but noone will release any details. I dont think it's necessarily hitting a woman but sources say it could have Ray Rice like implications. This would put the Cowboys hesitation to give him a long term deal into perspective. If it really is that bad, you probably can't do anything with him but discounting that for now because I have no clue what's going on there, I think they have to franchise him. I'm sure he'll be pouty for a little bit but when it comes down to it, the guys a playmaker and I can't imagine him not giving it his all out on the field, he's too firery.

There going to have to make some tough cuts to free up cap space on the defensive end and will probably have to sign a lot of one year fillers again (which they hit homeruns with last year but probably won't again this year). McClain already got fined 4 game checks for a violation so maybe they can resign him on the cheap because he'll be coming with additional baggage on top of what he already had. Then hammer the draft for pass rushers and secondary players and hope for the best. If they let go of Murray and don't get AP, I'd be OK with drafting Gurley or Gordon as well. I know it's a luxury position but the running game completely shaped the team last year and getting a good RB on a rookie deal could set them up for a few years.

Was just looking at the patriots draft picks the past few years. Very few contributors. Nfl draft is worthless.

Originally posted by qwe015:
Was just looking at the patriots draft picks the past few years. Very few contributors. Nfl draft is worthless.
even though I know you are playing your character, here is a list of notable drafted Patriots since 2010:

Rob Gronkowski
Chandler Jones
Brandon Spikes
Devon Mccourty
Stevan Ridley
Shane Vereen
Nate Solder
Donte Hightower
Jamie Collins
Bryan Stork

Originally posted by qwe015:
Thats a pretty laughable statement. Teams build through the draft and supplement through free agency. You do it in reverse and you'll rarely continue to win.

Brandon Marshall to be traded to the NY Stench

also, strong rumors that Miami is the frontrunner to sign Suh. I'll believe it when I see it.

The rumored deal for the Eagles to get Mariota was insane. Remember when adp said it would only take #20 and Nick Foles?

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
The rumored deal for the Eagles to get Mariota was insane. Remember when adp said it would only take #20 and Nick Foles?
intellectual dishonesty at it's finest. Never said that's all it would take. I said it wouldn't take 3 1's and cited the Buffalo Cleveland deal last year in my defense. I said #20 this year, 1 next and Foles does the trick. I said if you're the Jets you have to make that deal and I still believe that today. Heck, if the Jets get #20, a 2nd or 3rd and Foles I'd do the deal. Here is why: they need too many players and no one is giving them that much to move up for Mariota because he doesn't fit in every system. The Birds can wait them out. If the Jets want too much you let them take Mariota at 6 and go on with your plan. My guess is no one gives the Jets a better deal. And yes, Mariota is falling on every board as I predicted. He's not going 1 or 2 and will get to the Jets at least. However, you make up whatever you want and attribute to me.

This post was edited on 3/6 1:54 PM by adp98

Originally posted by adp98:

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
intellectual dishonesty at it's finest. Never said that's all it would take. I said it wouldn't take 3 1's and cited the Buffalo Cleveland deal last year in my defense. I said #20 this year, 1 next and Foles does the trick. I said if you're the Jets you have to make that deal and I still believe that today. Heck, if the Jets get #20, a 2nd or 3rd and Foles I'd do the deal. Here is why: they need too many players and no one is giving them that much to move up for Mariota because he doesn't fit in every system. The Birds can wait them out. If the Jets want too much you let them take Mariota at 6 and go on with your plan. My guess is no one gives the Jets a better deal. And yes, Mariota is falling on every board as I predicted. He's not going 1 or 2 and will get to the Jets at least. However, you make up whatever you want and attribute to me.

This post was edited on 3/6 1:54 PM by adp98
This deal is not with the Jets. It's for the #1. And it's steep.

Ok, and let's see if it gets done. If the Eagles give up 3 1's to move up then you can say I was wrong. However, incorrectly quoting me demonstrates a serious case of intellectual dishonesty that should be beneath good people.

ADP, stop saying he's falling. When you initially stated that he would fall it was at a time when he wasn't even slotted by NFL teams. Just because College Game Day guys raved about him doesn't mean he was the consensus #1 pick. More intellectual dishonesty. I told you this before. The only thing consensus about him all along was that he was one of the top two QBs. A lot scouts all along preferred Winston.

I heard a rumor the other day that the Eagles were getting TBs #1 and Mike Evans for a 1, 2, 3 this year. 1 and 2 next. And a 1 and 2 the following year. And Foles, too.

If be shocked if any trade didn't involved multiple #1's. Probably a minimum of three, at least if it's done with TB at one.

And if Chip Kelly gives up 3 1's to get Mariota and nothing else in return I'll be the first to admit I was dead wrong. That's not going to happen.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
ADP, stop saying he's falling. When you initially stated that he would fall it was at a time when he wasn't even slotted by NFL teams. Just because College Game Day guys raved about him doesn't mean he was the consensus #1 pick. More intellectual dishonesty. I told you this before. The only thing consensus about him all along was that he was one of the top two QBs. A lot scouts all along preferred Winston.

I heard a rumor the other day that the Eagles were getting TBs #1 and Mike Evans for a 1, 2, 3 this year. 1 and 2 next. And a 1 and 2 the following year. And Foles, too.

If be shocked if any trade didn't involved multiple #1's. Probably a minimum of three, at least if it's done with TB at one.
That's the word i heard - however Boomer Esiason said earlier today he doesnt think the Eagles will do that. I guess Adam Sheftner ad this- as Boomer said - 'Adam doesn't always have it right'. Boomer is not exactly disconnected either. However, i do think it will take 3 #1's if the Eagles want to get into the top spot and guarantee they get their guy - mostly because the rumor is considerably more than that. I can see it getting dialed down with the extra picks, but usually the rumors are not too far off if the trade actually happens.

What i do know is, this is why NFL is king. The next two months - the near dead of their off season in terms of distance between games - will be loaded with NFL stories. I am really curious to see how teams maneuver here.

If they trade for him, then I hope you're right. Just from listening/reading things the consensus is that the cost will be high.

My main disagreement with you is continuing to say he's dropping. It was never written in stone that he be a top 2 pick, especially before the guys on matter (NFL front offices) started to do the real work on potential players. Also, if he goes at #6, then I don't want to hear, see I told you would drop. That's not really dropping. Well, unless you convinced yourself that he was a top 2 pick without any concrete evidence that this was ever true.

its not so much that he is WORTH that much per se, its that the cost to move up from 20 into the top 5-6 is VERY steep.

Burrs, I was basing it off nearly everyone said he was the #1 pick the day after he out-played Winston in the semi-final. If I'm wrong about that so be it. All the draftniks had him there and dropped him after the title game. as noted then, Herbstreit called him a "system quarterback" during the game. The next day I posted my "Silver Lining" thread to tweak the Birds fans. If that was wrong and most have Winston #1 the entire time, I'll own it. Or maybe we just read something different from different sources. I only read a few Kiper, McShay any maybe one or two more. They all had Mariota prior to the title game.

This post was edited on 3/6 2:56 PM by adp98

I don't believe the draftniks get as much or as reliable information during the college season. I think info really begins to leak once the NFL season is over and NFL front offices seriously dive into doing their research. So, I don't really pay attention to where they project players. Anyway, throughout the CFB season there were whispers that many scouts preferred Winston.

Furthermore, I don't believe anyone would tout a kid as the top pick all year and then based on one game, a game where he didn't play that poorly, suddenly change what they thought. It makes no sense.

you getting your information from McShay and Kiper is probably your #1 problem.

Burrs, I searched Kiper's lists and here is what I found. He had Winston up top to start the season and then changed flipped them in his October rankings. Mariota remained as his top QB in all his positions rankings until his first Mock Draft, which occured after the title game on Jan. 15. These rankings are easily found online. That supports what I have been saying. Obviously, that's only one example but as I said previously I don't look at many guys and their lists. I have provided Kiper's link from October when he flipped the two and cited his reasons. He maintained those same rankings until the day after the title game.

Kiper

ADP, I'm not disputing that some of the mock draft guys had him high. I'm
Disputing that the people who count agreed with it at that time. Just because Kiper, McShay, etc have a mock draft during the CFB season doesn't mean it's gospel and what NFL front offices think.

I'm thinking Mychal Kendricks might be thrown into a deal but that's a real leap of faith to assume DeMeco can recover to play next to Alonso.

Kendricks is going to get PAID after next yr. Dont be shocked if Kelly is dangling him in a trade. If you're throwing a young beast like him into a deal
you better not be also giving up a bushel of high picks.

ADP, I'm not disputing that some of the mock draft guys had him high. I'm
Disputing that the people who count agreed with it at that time. Just because Kiper, McShay, etc have a mock draft during the CFB season doesn't mean it's gospel and what NFL front offices think.
None of us know what NFL guys are thinking so let's not act like we do. I always cited the mock draft/draftniks. Unless you're trying to suggest you know what NFL GM's think and they are providing you draft info. Which we know isn't true as they pretty much lie about everything draft related.

I'm simply using common sense here. Yes, every team has scouts, but ultimately the GM & head coach are making personnel decisions. Their season is going on at the same time as the CFB season. Hence, real homework, extended film study, senior bowl, combines, pro days, interviews with players, interviews with people familiar with players, staff meetings to discuss plan/draft, etc etc etc all happen after the Super Bowl for the most part. This is the reason why I don't put much faith in mocks that come out in Oct, Nov, etc. So, spare me with the he's dropping bit when he probably won't go after six anyway. Now, if a player has a poor combine, crappy pro day, doesn't interview well, then you might hear he's dropping narrative. But not when you pronounced it. Like B$ said, your problem is that you're listening to Kiper/McShay.

Mortenson was on the radio and said he doesn't believe the Jets want Mariota and he'd expect two #1's and a good player (Foles, Kendrick's) is what it would take. I'm assuming those two #1's are on top of switching with them this year. ADP, you'd consider that a lot, right?

two #1's and a good player is exactly what I said would be a must do for the Jets. This year's 20, next year's #1 and Foles. The Jets absolutely have to make that deal. For the Eagles that's a very good deal. I see that as a win-win. You might "assume" it's with them switching this year but that would then be three #1 picks; the #20 this year, 2016, 2017 and Foles. No way I do that deal if I"m Philly and yes that's a ton. If the Jets get that from Philly, Chipper must have naked pictures of Mariota or the other way around. If I'm Philly, the beauty to me is that Foles is much better than the current Jets QB's. Big upgrade there. So for the Jets you get two years of controlled Foles, while you build everywhere else. Given where the Jets stand his value is much greaater than in Philly. Philly is trying to win it all and Foles isn't getting you there. That's why I can see a deal at #6. Philly also has a bit of a hammer because the only other team who makes any sense to go up there is St. Louis. However, Fisher needs to win now and with that defense he's not waiting 3 years for Mariota. He'll be fired by then. Really think Philly can hold the line and end up getting Mariota. We'll see as I could be wrong. However, that's been my story and I'm sticking to it. If I'm wrong than I got something wrong a message board. Won't be the first time or the last. However, I've been consistent.

And for the record, Mariota makes no sense for the Jets. Which is where DMIL and I disagree because he said the Jets would cream themselves to draft him at #6. He makes zero sense for them. They'd have to alter their system for him and I don't see a new coaching staff known for defense going spread. So where else are the Jets going to go? Their leverage is not big enough to extract three #1's from Philly. Again, he makes no sense in St. Louis because Fisher's not switching his scheme and doesn't have time to wait for Mariota to learn a pro system. If Chipper loves Mariota he's going to get him. It makes too much sense and if he's a good card player he's not giving up 3 #1 picks. He'd be nuts or the Jets GM schooled him. Maybe they throw in another mid round pick ,3rd or 4th to get it done. However, that should be where the deal is made. It will certainly be interesting. The Birds are going to be fun this off-season. Get er done Chipper.

This post was edited on 3/6 7:04 PM by adp98

This year's #1 (20), Foles, and next year's 1st (let's say 16-24) is no way going to get it done. I just don't see how. But trust me. I hope you're right, ADP.

If Chip covets him that much then teams will sense that out and try to take him behind the woodshed. They might not make it all the way out there, but they will get close.

Adp, I will say this, but according to that pick value chart (Not sure how much this is used), but that Jets pick is worth 1600 points. The Eagles at 20 is 850. So, in theory two 850's, plus a player would be more than equal value.

Adp, I will say this, but according to that pick value chart (Not sure how much this is used), but that Jets pick is worth 1600 points. The Eagles at 20 is 850. So, in theory two 850's, plus a player would be more than equal value.
Exactly + Foles who is a decent NFL QB and the Jets have to do that deal. What I'm saying makes a ton of sense here. So two +1's and Foles. This probably goes down to the last minute as the Jets are on the clock. Going to be an interesting 15 minutes. Chip can run the clock and darn them to take Mariota. Todd Bowles does not want to start his tenure building around a spread QB who must learn a new NFL system. And then DMIL can come here and mea culpa. Should be fun.

This post was edited on 3/7 5:38 AM by adp98

More and more sources saying Devin McCourty is priority #1 for the Eagles at the moment.

Miami seems to have the inside track and going all out for Suh. Bmoney are you hearing the same thing?

Originally posted by adp98:

Exactly + Foles who is a decent NFL QB and the Jets have to do that deal. What I'm saying makes a ton of sense here. So two +1's and Foles. This probably goes down to the last minute as the Jets are on the clock. Going to be an interesting 15 minutes. Chip can run the clock and darn them to take Mariota. Todd Bowles does not want to start his tenure building around a spread QB who must learn a new NFL system. And then DMIL can come here and mea culpa. Should be fun.

This post was edited on 3/7 5:38 AM by adp98
Child plase -- you were out here saying he was fall into the teens I said he would not get past 6 and he wont. FACT.

No, you said the Jets would cream themselves nad he would not get past them at 6. You are sad. Just own your stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT