ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Offseason

I said he was not getting past the Jet's pick at 6. Simple fact that remains more incontrovertible by the day. You were here saying he was going mid round, and was a wasted pick. Fact.

The truth is not something that comes easy for you. Sad.

That doesn't even make sense in the context of this discussion.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
This year's #1 (20), Foles, and next year's 1st (let's say 16-24) is no way going to get it done. I just don't see how. But trust me. I hope you're right, ADP.

If Chip covets him that much then teams will sense that out and try to take him behind the woodshed. They might not make it all the way out there, but they will get close.
Agree 100% with the first part. I don't think the Jets GM is dumb enough to put his job on the line with Foles. He's not that good. But if you make that deal, you're essentially putting a high 1st round value on him, and saying he's a franchise QB. Last year would indicate that's not something you want to bet your career on.

Moving up that far carries a three 1st rounder price at a minimum if coming from 20 (or a better spot even). And in the recent past, in drafts with coveted QBs it has cost more.

As far as the second part, true as well, only question is whether Chip is willing to go all in here. No second chances with the Birds if he does. Will fail in his first attempt in the NFL if he loses, and would have to go duck back to college and try to become the next Pete Carroll years later if he wants to try again.

Cobb is two years younger than Maclin and had more catches but a few less yards. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will give him that type of money. If not, I will guarantee that someone else will as he would be the #1 receiver on the market.

Originally posted by matty17:

Cobb is two years younger than Maclin and had more catches but a few less yards. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will give him that type of money. If not, I will guarantee that someone else will as he would be the #1 receiver on the market.
How many less knee injuries has he had, too?

Originally posted by matty17:

How many less knee injuries has he had, too?
Good point. The word seems to be that Cobb gave the Packers a discount as he could have had more on the open market. I heard today that the Eagles were at 9 million per while Maclin's camp wanted 11 million per.

Cobb being back in GB is surprising. Everything you read said he was gone.

Kareem Jackson re-signed in Houston, making the already think CB market even thinner. Eagles are going to have to pay a LOT for Byron Maxwell.

Also heard Maclin rejected $9 million/year.

really looks as though Suh is going to Miami. I pray the rumors are true.

Eagles interested in Frank Gore. Wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it either.

I would have no problem with Gore for one season. He still runs very hard,

Wow. Congrats to b$. Suh is one of the few who will be worth the money.

of course I am excited. this is not like giving a boatload of $$ to mediocre players. Suh is the best DT in the NFL and he is in his prime. is it a LOT of money? sure it is. is it risky? of COURSE it is. but I'd much rather take the risk on an elite player than a mediocre one.

Suh may be a top 5 free agent of all time. if you have a chance to sign a player like that, you do so.

Chirs Johnson, former Green Stench RB, shot in a drive-by.

So, why didn't other teams with a lot cap space push hard for him? Not because he's not great, but because for one player that's a ton. Which usually the narrative coming for you.

So, why didn't other teams with a lot cap space push hard for him? Not because he's not great, but because for one player that's a ton. Which usually the narrative coming for you.
how the hell do you know who pushed for him? Raiders and Jags have the most cap space IIRC, and they were in on him. would you want to play there?

please list examples of when I have criticized signing the BEST PLAYER AT HIS POSITION for a team.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:

how the hell do you know who pushed for him? Raiders and Jags have the most cap space IIRC, and they were in on him. would you want to play there?

please list examples of when I have criticized signing the BEST PLAYER AT HIS POSITION for a team.
Why would anyone want to play for the Dolphins? They don't ever win and their coach stinks. Ohh, besides the night club scene. I guess that's a draw.

Dude, you harp on salaries/years in all sports more than anyone. This is a fact. Maybe, you're oblivious to it.

of course I am excited. this is not like giving a boatload of $$ to mediocre players. Suh is the best DT in the NFL and he is in his prime. is it a LOT of money? sure it is. is it risky? of COURSE it is. but I'd much rather take the risk on an elite player than a mediocre one.

Suh may be a top 5 free agent of all time. if you have a chance to sign a player like that, you do so.
Exactly right. After Reggie White, Suh could be the best FA signing ever. He's one of the few difference makers at a very important position. He transforms a defense overnight. Yes, its a lot of money. However, this isn't even a risk. You know exactly what you're getting. Given where the cap went no big deal. The Fish can fit him with absolutely no issues. Gr8 signing. Let's not even start with the too much cap stuff. You could argue after JJ Watt this guy is the best defensive player in football.

please provide me specific examples of when the BEST PLAYER AT THEIR POSITION (in any sport) hit free agency and was signed and I criticized the deal. I already noted that its a risk and that its a crapload of money.

I can't help the fact that Philly teams have made a LOT of bad moves over the past few years. you act like I am the only one saying these things. I call them as I see them.

Originally posted by adp98:

Exactly right. After Reggie White, Suh could be the best FA signing ever. He's one of the few difference makers at a very important position. He transforms a defense overnight. Yes, its a lot of money. However, this isn't even a risk. You know exactly what you're getting. Given where the cap went no big deal. The Fish can fit him with absolutely no issues. Gr8 signing. Let's not even start with the too much cap stuff. You could argue after JJ Watt this guy is the best defensive player in football.
Why weren't "good" teams banging down his door? I heard the Dolphins, Raiders, and the Jags. Umm, call me unimpressed.

Anyway, no one is denying his greatness. I'm busting B$'s chops because 95% of the time he ridicules a contract, but because thus one involves the Fins h'e splashing keyboards. I found it ironic.

please provide me specific examples of when the BEST PLAYER AT THEIR POSITION (in any sport) hit free agency and was signed and I criticized the deal. I already noted that its a risk and that its a crapload of money.

I can't help the fact that Philly teams have made a LOT of bad moves over the past few years. you act like I am the only one saying these things. I call them as I see them.
I'm not going to provide you with anything because examples of that are few and far between.

It has nothing to do with Philly teams. Your complaint on contracts runs across all teams, in all sports most of the time.

Why weren't "good" teams banging down his door? I heard the Dolphins, Raiders, and the Jags. Umm, call me unimpressed.

Anyway, no one is denying his greatness. I'm busting B$'s chops because 95% of the time he ridicules a contract, but because thus one involves the Fins h'e splashing keyboards. I found it ironic.
Seriously? Because not many "good" teams have the cap space to go spend $114 million on Suh. The teams listed are the ones with the most cap space. Miami was the obvious choice. Team is getting better and it's Miami. Miami doesn't suck and you don't even have to pay state income tax. Win-Win. If you are a major sports star Miami has to be one of the best places to go right? No state tax. No pressure and South Beach.

how many "good teams"

A) have a need a defensive tackle
B) have the cap space to sign said defensive tackle
C) have an owner willing to pay $100+ million for said defensive tackle
D) play in a state where there is no state income tax

you act like these teams grow on trees.

I'm not going to provide you with anything because examples of that are few and far between.

It has nothing to do with Philly teams. Your complaint on contracts runs across all teams, in all sports most of the time.
I give you, the Winged Cliff Lee

lee20in20heaven31.jpg

Don't tell me the Dolphins haven't sucked or been mediocre at best. One playoff appearance in 13 years. (43-53) over the last six years. Nearly 2/3's of the league have 20mil+ in space. Heck, the list I just looked at had MIA at 25th with only 9 mil. They are not a one player away team and their defense from afar seemed to be ok for the most part.

No one is disputing Suh's greatness. Remember, I'm breaking B$'s chops because he routinely criticizes contracts, more than anyone I know. And there isn;t anything wrong with that, but like I said, his reaction today is a bit ironic from where I sit. I know, he's the best at his position, blah, blah....

Enjoy the moment, splash a keyboard or two, no big deal...

I give my opinion on signings just as you give your opinion on all things college basketball (and everything else, for that matter). isnt that what message boards are for?

most of the times, I'd say I ended up being RIGHT, especially when we're talking about moves that Philly teams have made. and again, you act as if I am the only person making these critiques.

Byron Maxwell to the Birds. 6 years, 60 million, 23 guaranteed. Now go get McCourty.

Originally posted by obriend1:
Byron Maxwell to the Birds. 6 years, 60 million, 23 guaranteed. Now go get McCourty.
I better not comment because it might offend our resident board policeman!

5 - 53 for Mad Max. Not bad considering Flowers just got 4-36 from SD.

I only want Gore if on a 1-yr deal.

I give my opinion on signings just as you give your opinion on all things college basketball (and everything else, for that matter). isnt that what message boards are for?

most of the times, I'd say I ended up being RIGHT, especially when we're talking about moves that Philly teams have made. and again, you act as if I am the only person making these critiques.
Again, it has nothing to do with Philly teams. Stop bringing that into the equation.

Listen, you comment on just about every signing, in every sport you care about, yes it's an opinion. I have zero problem with that part of it. All I'm saying is that most of the time you are against the contract being discussed. Is that an inaccurate statement by me? I don't think it is.

Again, it has nothing to do with Philly teams. Stop bringing that into the equation.

Listen, you comment on just about every signing, in every sport you care about, yes it's an opinion. I have zero problem with that part of it. All I'm saying is that most of the time you are against the contract being discussed. Is that an inaccurate statement by me? I don't think it is.
because most of the time its taems overpaying for average talent, just like Miami did in 2013. just like the Eagles are about to do with Byron Maxwell. Sometimes it works out, most times it doesn't. would you agree with that?

Originally posted by obriend1:
I better not comment because it might offend our resident board policeman!
Ohh, by all means share it with us.

What you wrote tells me how you feel about it because if you thought it was a good deal, then you would have said so and then threw out the, see I like some deals.......

The Eagles are going to trade half their draft for Mariota so they have no choice but to go balls out for defense in FA.

The winning formula in the NFL now is stud QB and defense. This team had mediocre at best QBs and an awful D. I loved McCoy but he's won 0 playoff games. Zero. We know Foles and Sanchez aren't front line NFL QBs. Mariota...could be...with Kelly. So try to stack up the defense and roll the dice that Mariota is an elite NFL QB. Kelly trusts his scheme on offense. He's got an elite OL and he thinks Mariota is an elite QB. Everything else to him is just parts on offense.

Hopefully he's right...because if he's not this will be a complete mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT