ADVERTISEMENT

Pet peeves - let's hear yours

Murphy's Law: The required cash collected for a restaurant tab is inversely proportional to the number of people at the table.

Most people do not tip 20%. And they ignore tax. People pay what they ordered because that's what they remember from the menu. So when the 18% gratuity for parties of six or more is tacked on to the bill, it doesn't make sense to them.

"...my dinner cost $13.99, I didn't have a salad, and I didn't eat those appetizers you guys ordered, and I had just one beer, and it was a domestic pint, not an import bottle, and yes I did one of the Jameson shots Liam ordered for the entire table, but I didn't ask for it! HE'S THE ONE THAT DID THAT. So here's twenty dollars. I gave it to you right, make sure it's there. Actually, I should get some change back."

Reactions: TittyCent
I don't know anyone who does this anymore. Maybe when you're 25. However, I wouldn't hang out with anyone who actually tried to haggle over a dinner bill. You did that with my group of friends and you'd probably end up paying the entire bill and needing therapy for the abuse that would ensue.

Reactions: Chimpat
Email edition:

1) People who close emails with "Regards" or "Best"
2) People who say "ping me"

I don't know anyone who does this anymore. Maybe when you're 25. However, I wouldn't hang out with anyone who actually tried to haggle over a dinner bill. You did that with my group of friends and you'd probably end up paying the entire bill and needing therapy for the abuse that would ensue.

Well exactly, good friends and family "fight" over the bill, as in, picking up the entire check. I am talking about work acquaintences.

Gym "grunters"
Black people jay walking
NY drivers who ride left lane.

good call on "cheers"

hate it.

hate constant smiley faces in emails too.

When I get an email from my boss there is a 90% chance a :) will be at the end.

My buddy in Atlanta just got a promotion and this is what his new boss wrote him the same day:

Your vacation is over. It's time to do some real work now, that fulfills your potential. :)

Yes, with smiley at the end.

My buddy in Atlanta just got a promotion and this is what his new boss wrote him the same day:

Your vacation is over. It's time to do some real work now, that fulfills your potential. :)

Great companies promote underachievers.

His boss didn't need to put a comma there...

Agreed. Promoted employee should have replied by correcting his boss's message. I would go with:

"Your vacation is over. It's now time to do some real work that fulfills your potential."

Email edition:

1) People who close emails with "Regards" or "Best"
2) People who say "ping me"

Novacatt94, if you are e-mailing somebody who is a potential client, what is the best way to close? We were just having a conversation about this and "Best Regards" was actually one of the ones people use most.

Novacatt94, if you are e-mailing somebody who is a potential client, what is the best way to close? We were just having a conversation about this and "Best Regards" was actually one of the ones people use most.
Answer: close the email with "If I really wanted your business I would be communicating with you in a more personal way than this sh*tty email."

I even remember going to more than one wedding in a catholic church where the priest made it crystal clear than non-catholics are not welcome to take communion. Why the f*ck not? Welcome them into your celebration, your tradition. It's not like there's anything special about that crap.
The church I went to in NC was run by a conservative priest. On Christmas and Easter he always made an announcement that, if you only came to church on those two days, don't commit more sin by coming to communion. People cringed every time he made that announcement. Btw, that brings up another of my peeves. Christmas & Easter Catholics who act like they own the church and we regulars can't get a seat!

The automatic sink, soap and paper towel dispensers activated by motion sensors in most public places these days. Invented by the goddamn devil himself. None work correctly and I stand there waving my hands like a jerkoff just to get a dollop of soap and 2 ounces of water onto my hands not to mention the paper towels dispensed are barely enough to dry a few knuckles let one 2 hands.

The automatic sink, soap and paper towel dispensers activated by motion sensors in most public places these days. Invented by the goddamn devil himself. None work correctly and I stand there waving my hands like a jerkoff just to get a dollop of soap and 2 ounces of water onto my hands not to mention the paper towels dispensed are barely enough to dry a few knuckles let one 2 hands.

Try - the auto-flush shitters were the shark-jumping moment with all this over-automated bathroom junk. I think there is a an increase in the number of jammed toilets and unflushed dung heaps since the proliferation of the auto-flush shitter. Nobody wants to linger in a stall trying to mess with that crap.

Agreed. Promoted employee should have replied by correcting his boss's message. I would go with:

"Your vacation is over. It's now time to do some real work that fulfills your potential."

At least his boss got "your" correct.

PS boss'

I agree. Everything was fine the way it was. Where I go to church since I moved actually has one Sunday mass still in Latin! I'll bet that's a real hit.

doesn't that make sense if you have a large latino population?

Btw, that brings up another of my peeves. Christmas & Easter Catholics who act like they own the church and we regulars can't get a seat!
Common misconception of the American Christian: that going to church earns you something. Or that mass attendance is afterlife insurance.

Another Pet Peeve: people that stand on busy street corners and tell me that Im going to hell. Or even better- people that tell fans entering a sporting event that they are going to hell. Those people should be locked up and medicated.

1. Cigars on a golf course. Yes, I know you're outside, but those still leave nasty ashes on the green and I can smell it a hole or two away

2. (tie) Democrats

2. (tie) Republicans
Private equity guys who rely on carried interest and not paying "their fair share" who turn around complain about political parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickleDimer
Common misconception of the American Christian: that going to church earns you something. Or that mass attendance is afterlife insurance.

Another Pet Peeve: people that stand on busy street corners and tell me that Im going to hell. Or even better- people that tell fans entering a sporting event that they are going to hell. Those people should be locked up and medicated.
Misconception. I seem to remember a saying that goes "Keep holy the Sabbath Day." I view God as my best friend who visits every day and is always there for me. If your best friend is with you every day, is it too much to ask for you to visit Him once a week? That's the real justification for going to mass.

• Shower curtains that cling to your body
  • Any butchered cliché like "blessing in the skies" or "nip it in the butt"
  • When people can't admit that they don't know the answer to a question
  • Faucets that require you to wash one hand at a time because the water stops when you release it

Whenever there are more unused lanes than there are open ones for customers and you have to wait forever because they are too cheap to hire enough minimum wage employees.

Airport security
Grocery store
Turnpike lanes

People who are rude and condescending to waitresses, waiters, and bartenders (exception is they are getting bad service). Who gives a shit if your fork has a smudge on it. And listen, if the restaurant is packed then you're not going to have a server constantly coming over unless you're in an uber high end restaurant. You think the server at Outback really cares that much if they fill your glass of water when it gets to half full?

I seem to remember a saying that goes "Keep holy the Sabbath Day." That's the real justification for going to mass.

Why? I always thought mass was just so they could shake you down for more money regularly in front of your neighbors so that you cave from peer pressure.

Not one person enjoys mass. A lot of people go to the express early mass just to get it over with as quick as possible. Others skip out after communion. It's a sham and embarrassing to everyone involved. It's a faith in crisis. Time for major reform before there's no one left to turn out the lightS.

Reactions: Greg Woodward
Why? I always thought mass was just so they could shake you down for more money regularly in front of your neighbors so that you cave from peer pressure.

Not one person enjoys mass. A lot of people go to the express early mass just to get it over with as quick as possible. Others skip out after communion. It's a sham and embarrassing to everyone involved. It's a faith in crisis. Time for major reform before there's no one left to turn out the lightS.

I usually go to Mass when people are hatched, matched, and dispatched.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I don't agree. I know a lot of people who go to church because it's a spiritually envigorating experience. Of course, it helps a lot if you have a priest who gives good/relevant sermons. I enjoy church! It's a chance to shut out everything in the outside world and concentrate on what's really important in life.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I don't agree. I know a lot of people who go to church because it's a spiritually envigorating experience. Of course, it helps a lot if you have a priest who gives good/relevant sermons. I enjoy church! It's a chance to shut out everything in the outside world and concentrate on what's really important in life.
Do you need to go to church to do that? I can do that on the golf course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT