ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2016 Season

manny machado and the houston ss were both high school kids picked early in the first round, yes?

harper went first and trout was also a first rounder?

Come on, the Harper pick was so easy that even Rizzo could make it. And he was already playing with a junior college, mashing. He was a once-in-10 years (or more) type guy, like when there's a Gretzky, Lemieux or Crosby there in hockey. Exception to the rule, agree would have gone college in a situation like this. Maybe this works out, maybe he's a little better than Jeff Jackson.

The only way I can sell myself on this one is that they play in CBP. More limited power could be more meaningful there. That said, if the Phillies ever want to contend again they have to stop trying to be like the Royals and collect some real power hitters, to take advantage of their park. Playing a speed game and small ball makes no sense whatsoever in that park.

The only way I can sell myself on this one is that they play in CBP. More limited power could be more meaningful there. That said, if the Phillies ever want to contend again they have to stop trying to be like the Royals and collect some real power hitters, to take advantage of their park. Playing a speed game and small ball makes no sense whatsoever in that park.

Huh? CBP is middle of the pack as far as being HR-friendly.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Rollins DFA by White Sox.
off.jpg

Reactions: tomjackleman
Exactly. People saw all the HRs flying out of there from 2006-2011 and assumed it was some type of big time hitter friendly park. Offense was loaded with patient hitters who were in their primes and could hit the long ball.

Not buying it. Still one of the best hitters parks in baseball. Incompetent management that deprived the team of all power and now trying to build them like the Cards in the '80s or maybe Royals today is skewing the numbers. Look at the 3-4-5 in the lineup since 2012 and tell me that's major league quality. Plus Phillies pitching did not decline as badly overall as the hitting (which was on the decline even when still making playoffs).

Ask ML players their favorite parks to hit in and it will get plenty of votes I'm sure.

Moving the fence in the left center field alley back a couple feet helped a little but not much difference from first couple years.

VV to DL but MRI was clean. The player feels he'll be ready when stint ends. Move sounds precautionary.

Eflin will start on Tuesday.

Hopefully Eflin looks good so we never have to see Morgan again.

Exactly. People saw all the HRs flying out of there from 2006-2011 and assumed it was some type of big time hitter friendly park. Offense was loaded with patient hitters who were in their primes and could hit the long ball.
Even with 20+ HR power at 7 spots in the lineup in the mid 00s it wasn't a jump off the page launching pad.

Not buying it. Still one of the best hitters parks in baseball. Incompetent management that deprived the team of all power and now trying to build them like the Cards in the '80s or maybe Royals today is skewing the numbers. Look at the 3-4-5 in the lineup since 2012 and tell me that's major league quality. Plus Phillies pitching did not decline as badly overall as the hitting (which was on the decline even when still making playoffs).

Ask ML players their favorite parks to hit in and it will get plenty of votes I'm sure.

Moving the fence in the left center field alley back a couple feet helped a little but not much difference from first couple years.

Not going to argue with you. The data is available. Take a look at it sometime.

Last edited:
Tommy Joseph named full time starter. End of an era (half amazing... Half awful).

What happened to Jmerc posting Howard's numbers on a daily basis, that was pretty funny. Which "alt" is jmerc now? I can't keep up with all these terrible "alts."

adp is that you at the Phillies game behind home plate in Nova t shirt?
No, I went yesterday with wife and kids. Pool with kids, got to hit balls and come into men's grille bottom of 9.....that was fun.

Howard bottle thrower discovered. 21-year old from Wilmington, DE. Shocker...

Howard bottle thrower discovered. 21-year old from Wilmington, DE. Shocker...

Expand on this. You knew that he would be from Wilmington?

The newsgroup must be disappointed that he isn't from Delco or the CoP.

Will this chadrool be added to the CoPhillies Wall of Fame?

I think somebody (many people) in the media really dropped the ball here because the guy shown on every TV sports show as the perpetrator (salmon colored shorts) was NOT the same guy who turned himself in to the cops on Friday--------did anyone bother to check it out and vet this photo/story as being accurate? Its crazy stuff and certainly an injustice to the guy in that photo who apparently did nothing wrong!! Who was responsible for taking that photo and incorrectly identifying that person as the actual bottle thrower-----and one of the most hated/hunted people in this area during the past two weeks? Who knows, maybe it was the real bottle thrower himself who quickly took the photo just to throw off the authorities, but whatever the case, I think someone should be identified, given a chance to try to explain how it happened, and be held accountable for what turned out to be a terrible mistake and an injustice to that yet to be identified person in that photo----who's probably been in hiding/disguise for the past two weeks hoping that nobody recognizes him and turns him in as the Ryan Howard bottle thrower!!!

Last edited:
Eflin torched by Jays in his debut. Walked into a nice hot oven with them pissed off after being shut out by Eickhoff yesterday.

Hope this doesn't wreck his confidence.

Eflin torched by Jays in his debut. Walked into a nice hot oven with them pissed off after being shut out by Eickhoff yesterday.

Hope this doesn't wreck his confidence.
Yeah - that is a tough 1st start. Day game against a team that was just shutout and can hit bombs better than most.

At least the Phillies were able to face that awful turd Dickey in the first game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT