ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2016 Season

They usually don't say those words first, usually just say something bland and then after tests have to then tell the truth. But it could be anything.

I guess, but I have heard plenty times that guys left the game with (soreness, tightness, stiffness, discomfort) in either the shoulder or elbow.

I guess, but I have heard plenty times that guys left the game with (soreness, tightness, stiffness, discomfort) in either the shoulder or elbow.
What about the red sox dude this year, that they said it was soreness and it was something super serious (I don't follow other baseball teams close enough to be right on what it was) like Tommy John surgery.

What about the red sox dude this year, that they said it was soreness and it was something super serious (I don't follow other baseball teams close enough to be right on what it was) like Tommy John surgery.

I agree with you. It's definitely possible and has happened in the past. I'm just saying that I have heard them announce shoulder/elbow stuff plenty of times in the past.

I don't recall the BOS example.

Sounds like it's too soon to tell on Velasquez, but Galvis/Howard batting 3/4 is unbearable. It's going to be a long summer watching these guys put up 0, 1, 2 runs. Not many "crooked numbers", as Wheels liked to say. My Phils broadcaster rankings:

1. Matt Stairs - has grown on me. Butchers the English language a bit but gives good insight at times.
2. Mike Schmidt - like when he engages in banter/horseplay (non-Sandusky variety), very laid back, a natural feel to him, obviously knows the game.
3. Murph - Not bad for a "sideline reporter" type.
4. Ben Davis - For some reason, I thought he was going to be good. Things that bother me: A) Horrible CoP accent. If you didn't notice it before, now you will….. B) Saying "si!" after McCarthy goes through his whole "use the SAP button your remote control etc" routine….. C) Saying "Way to go Bill!" after McCarthy announces that Bill just won $100 in the HR payoff…. D) the fact that he is not interesting or entertaining.
5. T-Mac - I don't think he even understands baseball all that well. He's just a company guy, constantly talking about sponsors, promotions, etc. Loves mentioning the advertisements in the building any time a ball gets close to a sign, talks about the stupid giveaway constantly. I know a lot of it is required but the guy is so over the top with pushing all the stuff that I don't care about. One small example is throwback uniforms or "alt" uniforms, this guy spends an incredible amount of time talking about it. I couldn't care less about that stuff. Just a huge dork.

Even more sketchy when you consider his last several outings since his 16 K game have not been too good. If they were calling it that and he'd been mowing them down recently would be easier to view as precautionary. Now he warms up, gets out there and they notice he's only hitting 86 with his fastball, get him out... doesn't seem like it just popped up.

Over/under on how many years McCarthy is the play-by-play guy? Seriously, someone give me the grim reality to this question.

Why does he have to do all 9 innings? Harry didn't do all 9 innings.

By far the most annoying of all CoP play-by-play guys. Not sure it's close.

Hello Eflin. Hopefully VV is ok and we can just send Morgan down when he gets back. Or outright release his ass.

Hello Eflin. Hopefully VV is ok and we can just send Morgan down when he gets back. Or outright release his ass.

Supposedly, they are saying that Eflin had his schedule changed and is just getting a few days extra rest.

VV says he's not worried. MRI tomorrow.

Lackey, who had TJ surgery in past, said sometimes biceps can mean elbow.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Supposedly, they are saying that Eflin had his schedule changed and is just getting a few days extra rest.

VV says he's not worried. MRI tomorrow.

Lackey, who had TJ surgery in past, said sometimes biceps can mean elbow.

I don't buy it.

Howard: 0-3, 3Ks
Galvis: 0-4, hitless in 7 of last 9 games
How do you put that rubbish in the 3 and 5 hole? it must physically hurt to write that lineup card out against all common sense.

I'm sure it hurts badly. But there aren't exactly something I would refer to as "better options".

Latest mock draft from Keith Law:

1. Philadelphia Phillies
Mickey Moniak, OF
La Costa Canyon HS (Carlsbad, California)

I've heard them with A.J. Puk and Kyle Lewis and to a lesser extent Corey Ray and Blake Rutherford, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of those guys is taken here. It's going to depend on the price tags; if the Phillies can save $1 million by taking the No. 2 player on their board and then apply that money to sign pick 42 to an overslot deal, they'll do so. And they should -- it's exactly what the current CBA encourages teams to do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/insider/post?id=2770

So who do people think the Phils are going to take? While I haven't been following this real closely, have read a little bit on the 5 or so guys who seem to be possibilities, and it seems really difficult to handicap what they'll actually do. Puk, pitcher from Fla. maybe most likely single player? The hitters they're looking at seem like reaches, though with tidbits like arak posted seems like they have been telling people stuff off the record to grease the wheels for taking a hitter.

so one of Moniak or the late blooming Mercer guy more likely than Puk? Groome no chance?

I am hearing Moniak more and more because they can sign him for less and then use the savings to overslot their 2nd round pick (#42).

Draft the f'n college pitcher. Least chance of busting. This team has basically no payroll once Howard is off the books. Stop being cheap pricks. You've got MILLIONS in the cupboard.

VV is already having consistent arm trouble. Appel is now too. Draft the damn pitcher. You already have Quinn coming up in center. And of course Odubel. Why do you need another .300 hitting, 12 homer outfielder ?

Draft the f'n college pitcher. Least chance of busting. This team has basically no payroll once Howard is off the books. Stop being cheap pricks. You've got MILLIONS in the cupboard.

VV is already having consistent arm trouble. Appel is now too. Draft the damn pitcher. You already have Quinn coming up in center. And of course Odubel. Why do you need another .300 hitting, 12 homer outfielder ?

It's not being cheap. You only have a certain amount to spend. With no clear cut top pick it's wise to negotiate with someone and save the leftover money for that second pick, who will probably a 1st RD talent that drops because of signability issues. With the extra cash (that other teams don't have) saved off of the top spot you can now use that money to get a really good pick at 42. Every baseball guy in America says this is the way to do it. Every potential kid they could take would sign for less than the slotted amount anyway.

My gut severs the HS kid from SD Moniak, but Keith Law thinks Lewis is in play, too. I think Puk is in the mix, too.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/170470526/2016-draft-bonus-pools-pick-values

Good article on how the bonuses work and how 2016 looks for each team.

It would be ridiculously dumb for the Phillies to use 9+ million of their 13+ allotment on the first pick. Dansby got 6.5 last year. G. Cole had the record 8 million a few years ago.

The 5th pick is only slotted at at 4.3 max. None of these guys are guaranteed the top spot. So, why would the Phillies use 9+ on their pick? They can say you might not go to #5, so we'll give 5 mil which is more than that to say you are the top draft.

Not positive, but I think if you save from the 9 mil on first pick you can apply some of that to their second pick, thus making that bonus higher than its slotted number.

The fact that you can't trade picks is stupid too. And that the draft takes place during the actual season instead of off season is also dumb. Eff the baseball draft up its stupid ass

Ok. So you think teams should be able to spend whatever they want?

Yeah why not? Does the sport now have a salary cap that I'm not aware of?

Ive never even heard of this f*cking guy they just picked until 2 days ago.

Yeah why not? Does the sport now have a salary cap that I'm not aware of?

Ive never even heard of this f*cking guy they just picked until 2 days ago.

Hey, they can change all the rules on this for all care. I'm not really that concerned with it.

I guess it's done for competitive balance. Not really sure.

I never heard of any of them until a month ago when I started reading a few articles. I'm not even going to attempt to critique these picks.

Gdog, scratch that competitive balance thought. I just found this.....

"The purpose of the new slotting system was not "parity". Nice try, Bud. The purpose is to increase the profits of owners, plain and simple. Players didn’t buy into the narrative that limiting bonus money for "unproven" prospects would free up more cash for clubs to sign free agent veterans."

The slot system was so boras could not hold teams hostage. Makes complete sense.

So they created a salary structure just to counteract one god damn agent. If that's true hopefully he dies soon.

No, but it makes complete sense especially in baseball where the finances and competitive balance are so different. Remeber when the Yankees claimed to produce kids from their farm system? It was because they simply paid more of drafts choices. It's a smart system. The issue for the phillis isn this a year without a clear number 1. So they can pay less now to get similar value at the top tj get more value later where a bigger gap could exist.

Red Sox took Groome. Which means he ends up being dominant.

Unless they're a once every 20 yrs total no brainer I don't understand why any team takes a high school kid in the early first round. They are sooo far away, and unknown in so many ways, and so much can happen before they even get to your big league club. If they even do. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Take the guys who have played at a higher level, and proven it, and are actually in shouting distance of playing for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT