ADVERTISEMENT

Quitting Your Job to Travel

Takes guts?

What's the likelihood that you return to same/more compensation? If it's 100%, then it doesn't really take any guts at all, does it? Is your next position already "lined up"? That would make this a "vacation". Is there a mandatory "end" date? I assume you'll see a ton of unwashed euros/israelis/australians/canadians that could go a couple years on the kind of money you're spending, so "finances" shouldn't be a "consideration" if you want to "stay".

Should be a "good" experience, but I think the "upside" tends to be "overblown". How can there be anything to "get" that is really "transformative", if it can be packaged int a "tour"? (Edit: I'm obviously anit-tour, they are gr8 ways to see "sites", but seem like bad ways to meet "the people" - appears that convenience was a "factor", I do "get" that)

(Edit II: I scanned those "company" "sites" and kind of recoiled at the thought of the "pre"-arranged "activities", like "parasailing in Vietnam" with my "group". I'm in Vietnam, why the f__k would I want to waste time parasailing? nardi, isn't parasailing for the "Jersey" shore?)

I was on record as favoring the sprint to retirement, but that is probably just a reflection of my poorness. Since you pulled the trigger, I have become a huge fan.

I will like/watch all the episodes, but I especially look forward to the episodes after the "tours". That's where things will get "zany".

Please get into trouble.

"Holy" shit. I'll try to make this "brief."

What's the likelihood that you return to same/more compensation? - If I come back to the same industry, it is likely I get the same comp. If I do not, I should make substantially less. But I'm ok with that for now. I was never one of those Wall Street jabronis that depended on his bonus to make ends meet. I always just lived off of my salary, and managed to save anyway. Plus, I want to use this time to explore other "career" opportunities and set up some passive income.

As for the tours, I get your point. But they provide two things for me at the moment: (1) the ability to see all of the things I was planning on visiting while on this trip, but with included travel arrangements, and accessibility to various activities (and the whole thing is cheap). And (2) truth be told, I'm a little apprehensive about flying to the other side of the globe without knowing anyone. I chose the tours in the beginning to soften the blow of going somewhere exotic solo.

And speaking of "blow", the tour companies have social media apps, so you can connect with your travel partners ahead of time. The tour is like 80% chicks.

(by the way, I really have limited experience with tours, and none "abroad", so who knows, I might like them/try them if I ever did one)

Did you go to Travel Medicine and get your shots?

They are expensive (a matter of "perspective").

I did, I got my shots yesterday before work, then I walked in and quit.

Booyah!

You lining up a job prior to leaving? Or trying? Have fun, sounds cool.

No. That's kind of the point. I want to go out with nothing on my mind. Even if I had a job lined up, I'd be stressing about that over there. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Though I am looking into investing in a business, which may happen before I go.

Congratulations. Bold move. Unlikely that you'll ever look back and say that you regret having done it.

Have you booked your first flight? To where and is it a one-way flight? - -

For a time, I was like spg and was "anti-tour"....but over the course of my travels, they became a little more attractive to me in certain places. Met some fantastic non-Americans on tours who I'm friends with to this day. Having said that, they have their drawbacks.

Yes I have. To Bangkok, one way.
And the tour thing - I am not touring the entire trip, just the beginning to acclimate to my new surroundings.

If you could take a benchwarmer with you on the trip who would it be? Eberzz? adp? ball? the dimer (despite his old age of 65)?

You mentioned you might make some passive investments. do you care to elaborate on the nature or type? do your exit plan for these investments involve gifting them to a secretary?

Over/Under on total ropes thrown in your trip?

Which of the following will you do most on your trip: eat/pray/love?

Are you looking forward to squatty potty situations? Have you been training in advance for it?

Is there a particular cuisine you are looking forward to?

O/U/P:
learning basic phrases in foreign languages
penicillin
showering
paid love workers

No. That's kind of the point. I want to go out with nothing on my mind. Even if I had a job lined up, I'd be stressing about that over there. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Though I am looking into investing in a business, which may happen before I go.
And investing a business won't be on your mind?

If you could take a benchwarmer with you on the trip who would it be? Eberzz? adp? ball? the dimer (despite his old age of 65)?

You mentioned you might make some passive investments. do you care to elaborate on the nature or type? do your exit plan for these investments involve gifting them to a secretary?

Maybe obriend. Sounds like he likes to get after it, is roughly my age, reasonably good with chicks and isnt over the top narcissistic.

Real estate. The minutae of the rest is too boring to elaborate.

What do you do for a cell phone while abroad?

What dumb American sh*t will you refuse to give up in your travels?

Are you expecting everything to pale in comparison to GCitW?

One set of footwear for the whole trip, what would it be?

Who would be the worst benchwarmer to bring with you (other than myself)?

What is your guess as to what happened to Burrs?

Do you think chicks that go on extended maternity leave in your job are able to re-enter the job market as easily as you?

Any events that you will be sad to miss while gone? MLK day?

Over/Under on total ropes thrown in your trip? Good lord, this is a tough one. 45.

Which of the following will you do most on your trip: eat/pray/love? Love.

Are you looking forward to squatty potty situations? Have you been training in advance for it? No. (Currently answering this question while shitting for the third time this morning.) My sensitive bowels are a great deal of concern to me. As is my gas while sleeping. So the crappy (get it?) toilet situations over there will be unwelcome.

Is there a particular cuisine you are looking forward to? No. I'm not much of a foodie. Remember im the one who turned that fat fk jmerc to soylent.

O/U/P:
learning basic phrases in foreign languages under
penicillin over
showering under
paid love workers proper

What % of time do you wrap it up in America?
What % of time do you think you will wrap it up over there?
Does the 90s girl have any delusions that you guys are staying together while you are over there?

What do you think the odds are that you run into a CoPer on your trip?
What part of asian culture are you dreading the most?
How much do you think your blood pressure has gone down in the last 24 hours?
Are you going to Airbnb your apartment while you are gone?
What do your parents think of this situation?

What do you do for a cell phone while abroad? - Verizon has an international plan for an extra $25 a month that should cover bare essentials. Wifi for everything else.

What dumb American sh*t will you refuse to give up in your travels? - Toilet paper. Drinking shitty light beer. Not really eating all the shit they have over there. Getting rationally panicked over very dangerous driving/walking/flying/boating even though everyone over there treats it as commonplace.

Are you expecting everything to pale in comparison to GCitW? - Yes, except the Asianness of the girls. That will blow NY out of the water.

One set of footwear for the whole trip, what would it be? - Already bought it. Running shoes that are fashionable enough to wear with shorts (UConn look?) but cheap enough to throw out when trip is over. Bringing those and sperry shoes for footwear, and thats it, ftr.

Who would be the worst benchwarmer to bring with you (other than myself)? - Mainliner II? He's old and would hate everybody, complain about it not being the states and about how he felt unsafe. Conversely, I would love to bring him for all of those same reasons.

Reactions: spg109876ers
What is your guess as to what happened to Burrs?

Do you think chicks that go on extended maternity leave in your job are able to re-enter the job market as easily as you?

Any events that you will be sad to miss while gone? MLK day?

Marital problems occupying his downtime.

No, I do not think they can re-enter as easily as me, solely for the fact that they are women and do not have the same type of network as men in my business. Unfair as it is.

I will be sad to miss March Madness. I am not / cannot get too emotionally invested in this year's team because I won't be able to see any of it in the new year.

I will be sad to miss March Madness. I am not / cannot get too emotionally invested in this year's team because I won't be able to see any of it in the new year.
Super interesting point, I am actually going to Japan final 4 weekend. The reason I didn't fight my buddies who are going with me is because of the bed shitting that has happened to us the last 2 years.

Or course this will be the year they make their run. So in theory I am making a deal with the devil that I will miss being at the Final 4 and National Championship. I will take the hit for all BW's.

What % of time do you wrap it up in America?
What % of time do you think you will wrap it up over there?
Does the 90s girl have any delusions that you guys are staying together while you are over there?

With a new chick? I always go for the initial penetration without one. But let's say 15% of the time there is completely safe, fully protected sex.
With a girl I've already slept with? 0% of the time.

I will try to wrap it up 100% of the time over there.

It kind of goes unsaid. To be honest, I'd like to go on this trip, have her meet me halfway, have her leave while I continue my travels, and come back and have her still be around. Sounds impossible, but she lives in a different city now and things are working out fine. I would like things to continue with her once I come back.

What do you think the odds are that you run into a CoPer on your trip? - Normally I would say zero, but last year I was in Croatia and randomly met some Philly dude traveling solo on Yacht Week. So you never know. These types of trips attract all types.... even Philly homebodies.
What part of asian culture are you dreading the most? - Their teeth. Rats. Cockroaches. Their lack of personal space or common courtesy.
How much do you think your blood pressure has gone down in the last 24 hours? - Tough to say. I drank a lot, so I may be in worse shape right now than I was yesterday. Although I was a mess yesterday. I was anticipating three conversations over the course of three different days; bonus, asking to be let go, and resigning. Instead, all three happened on the same day. And here I am now, some loser without a job.
Are you going to Airbnb your apartment while you are gone? - Funny man. No, I am going to try to unload the remainder of my lease onto someone else, move all my shit into storage and live with minimal expenses.
What do your parents think of this situation? - My mom is supportive, though a little TJC-esque in her view of the world. That said, she knows I gotta do me. Her main concern is me leaving a good career. Not much of a risk taker. My dad is dead, so he's really chill.

Where did you go get drunk last night? Joshua Tree?

Dirty French for dinner, then Greenwich Village for hardcore drinking with my buddies. In my mind I'm envisioning this scene when I walked into Reservoir Bar last night:

Goodfellas_071Pyxurz.jpg

No. I negotiated a package that pays me full salary + benefits well into the new year, but technically I resigned so I won't collect unemployment after that. Which is fine. I'm no leach on society.
Well played

Do you like ass play?

Meh. Have gone the other route with two women in the past. It was enjoyable, but you gotta be in the right mood for it. And there is always a catastrophic risk present.

A well placed digit is always a nice thing to do for your lady.
As for receiving, can't say I've ever experienced it. I think I'd be too self conscious she'd hit a loose piece of shit at some point. Plus, what does she do with her hand once her finger comes out? Put it in my mouth?

What does an unemployed person do on an unseasonably warm December Friday besides post on the internet?

What does an unemployed person do on an unseasonably warm December Friday besides post on the internet?

I will go for a run at some point before the sun goes down.

But up to now, I have been like Mojo after a month with Homer. My place is all dirty, I can't go ten minutes without heading back to the toilet, and I can't make a decision to save my life. Having said that, today is pretty much exactly as I envisioned it. And it rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT