ADVERTISEMENT

Quitting Your Job to Travel

Update bump.

- Have told family and friends about my plans.
- Turns out, a friend of a friend is already doing this with similar timeframe and may want to join me for some of it.
- Have interest from others to meet at certain spots.
- Have heard nearly 100% encouragement.
- And nearly had a panic attack at work this morning. Had a garbage can next to my computer chair in case i puked. A la Dicaprio in the Departed.

So i think this may go down.
So when are you going to do it?

We get our bonus at the end of the year. Being six months in, doesn't make sense to leave dough on the table, though i can barely stomach work anymore.

Plus, winter in the US sucks. Will be good to skip town after the holidays.
You need to do a blog on the road ala RSTRICK

Wall Street blows. As little as 0%. As much as 67%, in my personal experience.
Wall Street in the 80s and 90s was an amazing place as small, private firms either went public or merged with other companies. London de-regulated under Thatcher's "Big Bang" and the US shed Glass Steagal in the 90s. Congress mandated that everyone should own a home regardless of their credit which lead to the subprime market. Depending on your political view some good stuff happens and some not so good stuff. On balance it was good as the markets deregulated which lead to global growth.

Bump.

Put down the deposit on the first leg of the trip today.

No. Trip beings Jan 13. Put down the deposit on a tour of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos today.

Waiting for year end for a number of reasons;
Bonus
Monsoon season
Asian festivals in Q1
I hate NY winters

Tjc edit: this was supposed to be in response to nardi, not myself.

Do you anticipate participating on this newsgroup from time to time while you are on your trip?

Also, are you concerned at all with burning bridges with your Firm by leaving right after bonuses area awrded? What measures will you take (if any) to ensure that you leave on good terms?

Do you anticipate participating on this newsgroup from time to time while you are on your trip?

Also, are you concerned at all with burning bridges with your Firm by leaving right after bonuses area awrded? What measures will you take (if any) to ensure that you leave on good terms?

1. Ideally, yes I would still post while traveling. I imagine it would get somewhat lonely, so I'll be using this medium as a way to stay in touch with stuck up white people. The main drawback is that I still believe my identity is unknown among the board members. This may out me, which would suck.

2. I'm not particularly concerned about burning bridges. The only bridges I'd be burning are those with the powers that be, and those guys are a bunch of fukking dork clowns anyway. None are peers.
However, couple points; (a) it is industry standard to quit once the paycheck hits your bank account. (b) I'm prepping for one of the worst bonuses of my career. (c) I've had a lot of serious things happen in my personal life this past year of which my coworkers are aware, and I believe they would be sympathetic to my pursuit of fulfillment outside the office.

Any interest in Myanmar?

What is the nature of your serious personal events? Death? Relationship? Tennis elbow?

No interest in Myanmar. Youre the third person to bring this up in the past week. Don't understand it.

And mind your own business, you Stepford Wife.

No interest in Myanmar.

What's the criteria?

How do you differentiate Myanmar from Laos?

Is the downpayment for the "tour" a Tour? Please link if "it's official" tour.

Interests please;

- cultural experience (that's the other peoples)
- sites (can't swing a drowned-dead-papro-puppy in Thailand without hitting a Wat)
- getting wasted and banging euros

Contiki for Thailand, Laos, Cambodia. Im aware of their juvenile reputation but they are doing nearly 100% of things i want to do in those countries.

In Vietnam i will use Intrepid Travel.

After that Im solo.

Cool. I did a number of tours with Intrepid...good outfit...none with Contiki (for the reason you point out). Luang Prabang in Laos was among my favorite towns to visit on the trip and Vietnam among my favorite countries (prob b/c I'm a communist). I'm jealous.

What is the over / under on the number of different chicks you expect to penetrate during this tour?

What is your best guess as to the total direct cost of the tour when all is said and done?

What is the over / under on the number of different chicks you expect to penetrate during this tour?

What is your best guess as to the total direct cost of the tour when all is said and done?

If the trip is 3 months, id expect five ladies. Though my current lady may join me for some of the trip, which would lower that total.

Three months ive priced to be around $15k.

If the trip is 3 months, id expect five ladies. Though my current lady may join me for some of the trip, which would lower that total.

Three months ive priced to be around $15k.
This is a real off and on relationship. (that's my dickhead comment)

I think the board might be able to give you some options while abroad, plus they can live vicariously through you.

How did they take it?
Did you get your bonus?
Is the 90s girl going with you?
When do you leave?
Can we get weekly recaps? Will liven this shithole up a bit.

I will be in Japan in April if you are still around let me know.

Congrats man. You poop on any desks? Are you going to change your avatar?

Last edited:
Hold off on the questions. I may be able to do a full TQ session tomorrow. Will be remarkably hungover with nothing to do.

Congratulations. Bold move. Unlikely that you'll ever look back and say that you regret having done it.

Have you booked your first flight? To where and is it a one-way flight?

For a time, I was like spg and was "anti-tour"....but over the course of my travels, they became a little more attractive to me in certain places. Met some fantastic non-Americans on tours who I'm friends with to this day. Having said that, they have their drawbacks.

How did they take it? - Took it well. The boss said he respected my approach, appreciated the honesty and would provide me a rec down the line.
Did you get your bonus? - I did. It was shyte, but I also got a substantial bump in base salary, which will be a nice jumping off point for my next salary negotiation.
Is the 90s girl going with you? - I've invited her to join me in February to hop the Thailand islands. She wants to, but needs to arrange things with work. It is unlikely, though it would be the highlight of my trip. I really really dig her.
When do you leave? - January 10 is my one way flight, bro.
Can we get weekly recaps? Will liven this shithole up a bit. - I'll see what I can do. From what I hear, the wifi in Laos is shotty.

I will be in Japan in April if you are still around let me know. - Oddly enough, my "re-entry" into the real world is coming back to some ginzo wedding in St Maarten in April, so I will likely be in North America by then. But maybe.

Congrats man. You poop on any desks? Are you going to change your avatar?

Thank you.
No - though I did just take a nice hangover dump in my apartment with the door open on a weekday. That was emotionally rewarding.
The only way I ever change my avatar is to change it to Gar, from Mask - also played by Sam Elliott.

You lining up a job prior to leaving? Or trying? Have fun, sounds cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT