ADVERTISEMENT

Reserved: Mohammed Ali Remembered

Everyone last night was like, "Muhammee Ali died today."

I'm like, "In the ring?!?"

Good joke. Feel free to use it.

Reactions: kjbert
First time I have ever agreed with anything you have said..yes boxing is a dumb sport...I wonder if he would have known that he would live the last 20 years of his life a punch drunk idiot would he have ever started to fight....would anyone in their right mind?

Anyways I grew up rooting for Smoking Joe who could beat him at will...Ali not that great of a fighter. More mouth than anything....The forerunner to Mike Tyson.
Thanks DMIL

Anyways I grew up rooting for Smoking Joe who could beat him at will...

Probably the stupidest thing thing I've read about boxing on this site.

How do you explain Foreman knocking down new champ Frazier SIX times and getting knocked out in the 2nd round....Ali then beats Frazier in a rematch, knocks OUT Foreman to regain his title, and beats Frazier AGAIN in the greatest fight in boxing history?

I guess you're right, except in the 2 of 3 times Ali and Frazier fought?

F*cking idiot.

Yea, not shocked that there are posters on here taking shots at Ali. Yep, not surprised at all. Carry on..,.

Ali made Frazier millions more than he probably would have if there was no Ali. Ali crash talking him made them both a lot of money. Frazier knew this.

Reactions: kjbert and gldendog
Ali was great but agree Norton got robbed on decisions against him but Ali won style points in fights.

his mistake was mostly not following malcolm x--who even most irish pig racist posters here secretly agree was a far superior human being to you--away from the nation of islam
The return of EHT might get this board through the summer. Now we just need JohnnyGenitals back.

Seemed like a bad guy to me.

I never heard Ted Williams whine about having to lose 3-4 years of his prime to the Korean War.

Yea, because in the 50's & 60's there was no difference between being white or black in this country. Good point.

Don't understand your point. What does race//color have to do with answering your country's call to duty?

Ted Williams could have made the same argument Ali did. But instead, he manned up. Served his country proud. A lot of guys did in WW2, Korea, Vietnam.

If you think the Vietnam War was amoral, that's fine. I respect that opinion. But you act like only black guys were drafted to go to Vietnam. South Boston lost more kids in Vietnam than any other part of the US per capita. Pretty sure they were all white.

South Boston lost more kids in Vietnam than any other part of the US per capita. Pretty sure they were all white.

images

Over here.

Ted Williams could have made the same argument Ali did. But instead, he manned up. Served his country proud. A lot of guys did in WW2, Korea, Vietnam.

If you think the Vietnam War was amoral, that's fine. I respect that opinion. But you act like only black guys were drafted to go to Vietnam. South Boston lost more kids in Vietnam than any other part of the US per capita. Pretty sure they were all white.
No Vietcong ever call me Paddy.

Don't know the point of bringing Ted Willimas into this. Williams served in WWII and Korea. Ali's situation in the mid-60s was quite different than Williams.'

Ali was initially denigrated for his actions, but he was actually a trendsetter as the Vietnam war became unpopular and selective service was eliminated after it.

While different, I would put Ali up there with Williams and Feller for bravery.

Let me know when LeBron takes a stand on something and loses 3 years of his career.

While different, I would put Ali up there with Williams and Feller for bravery.

Let me know when LeBron takes a stand on something and loses 3 years of his career.

Um, we don't have a draft anymore, so.....

Reactions: CWertz

Yea, my bad. I forgot Ted Williams, like most whites, were looked down upon in certain areas of this country at that time. You know, you can't eat in certain restaurants or parts of restaurants, you can't ride in front of the bus, you can't drink from that water fountain, you can't attend that school, nor can you vote in this county, but you most certainly can go give your life for this country. How could I forget all of that? Again, my bad....

Yea, my bad. I forgot Ted Williams, like most whites, were looked down upon in certain areas of this country at that time. You know, you can't eat in certain restaurants or parts of restaurants, you can't ride in front of the bus, you can't drink from that water fountain, you can't attend that school, nor can you vote in this county, but you most certainly can go give your life for this country. How could I forget all of that? Again, my bad....
I agree with all of this but don't you think part of the reason Ali didn't want to fight in Vietnam was because he didn't want to get killed? Kind of like many people.

I agree with all of this but don't you think part of the reason Ali didn't want to fight in Vietnam was because he didn't want to get killed? Kind of like many people.

I have no idea what his reasons were. Simply pointing out that life for whites and blacks in this country at this time weren't exactly on a level playing field. And that it was very possible that fighting for one's country at that time meant something different for different people.

I think it depends on the timeline. Was Ali equally outspoken about oppression before he was drafted? If so it was genuine. If not the fear of death gave him a reason to ramp up the rhetoric. Either way, he ends up on the right side of history imo

I have no idea what his reasons were. Simply pointing out that life for whites and blacks in this country at this time weren't exactly on a level playing field. And that it was very possible that fighting for one's country at that time meant something different for different people.
Wouldn't the reasons matter?

Mike_Missanelli.jpg

Over here

Reactions: NickleDimer
Wouldn't the reasons matter?

sure they would. i'm just not going to pretend to actually know them.

But let's stay on topic. Just because Ted Williams did it doesn't mean Ali should, especially when considering he's a black man who grew up in the south. These situations aren't the same and Shoop was pretty much saying they were.

sure they would. i'm just not going to pretend to actually know them.

But let's stay on topic. Just because Ted Williams did it doesn't mean Ali should, especially when considering he's a black man who grew up in the south. These situations aren't the same and Shoop was pretty much saying they were.
Oh wow, you mean blacks and whites overall did not have the same rights? Is that a new revelation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT