ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hinkie as Sixers GM remembered

AlwaysBanned

Wild-Kitten
Apr 1, 2016
now it's official. Not TJC fake official.

Burrs, matty17, thoughts on THE PROCESS? What era was better? The CAP SPACE era or PROCESS era?

I would say something but I am supposed to give my schtick a break because e so a national championship.

I don't think it is fair for any 4 for 4'er to rip Hinkie as you didn't for the last 3 years. I don't see this being the case though.

I have no problem with the tanking. The league forces you to do so. I'm fine with the job he did. But the tanking is over and it's time to start trying to win games. Colangelo is better suited to sign FA's and work trades and the like through his contacts and experiences. I won't roast Hinkie. He did what he had to do.

Too soon to tell? Guy was a disaster. Good news is in 5 years we will be back to winning 40 games.

I'm fine with him being gone. I think the picks this year and Saric joining next year are a great starting point to playing real basketball again. Here's the reality: the best team in the league drafted Steph Curry in 2009 and they didn't become good until 2014. Hinkie's moves may pay off very well down the line for Colangelo. The biggest lesson learned here is for Hinkie: if you want to keep your job this shit won't fly. But I maintain that the organization will benefit in the long run. Not gonna backtrack now.

Remember when Colangelo was hired and the 4 for 4ers tried to claim it was just for smoothing things over with other GMs? Good times.

Reactions: NickleDimer
I'd resign too if I had to share power with Bryan Colangelo. So Silver is going to fix this by rigging the draft so the Sixers get the #1 pick and the Laker's pick right?!?!

I have no problem with the tanking. The league forces you to do so. I'm fine with the job he did. But the tanking is over and it's time to start trying to win games. Colangelo is better suited to sign FA's and work trades and the like through his contacts and experiences. I won't roast Hinkie. He did what he had to do.

Very well said.

Colangelo is a horrendous gm. Only good move is Lowry and extending Derozan. Only thing worse than dealing with tanking is dealing with the son of a member of the old guard.

Hinkie didn't put a gun to the owners heads. He sold them on a plan and they bailed first. If people are that pissed off about the tanking years then get pissed at ownership. I thought there was a chance that Hinkie and JC could be functional duo, with each bringing something different to the table. Oh well.....

Reactions: obriend1
Too soon to tell? Guy was a disaster. Good news is in 5 years we will be back to winning 40 games.

Well, 40 would better than the ten years before Hinkie. Went 35-31 in strike year and averaged 36 wins per year in the other nine. Made playoffs 5 times as a 6th, 7th (3), and 8th seed. Only made the second round once and that was because Rose/Noah got hurt. Never had CAP SPACE and best signing was a broken Elton Brand. Yea, give me more of that.

It will be interesting to see how the Colzngelo's manage what Hinkie put in place.

Stop, you couldn't even figure out the guy has lost his job months ago when they brought in colangelo. You were still defending the process. Guy was an utter failure and git stripped of all power. Be interesting to see what his next career move becomes. Can't imagine much demand to ever let him run a team again.

Stop, you couldn't even figure out the guy has lost his job months ago when they brought in colangelo. You were still defending the process. Guy was an utter failure and git stripped of all power. Be interesting to see what his next career move becomes. Can't imagine much demand to ever let him run a team again.

Stop what?

He was supposed to be a failure to this point. It was done on purpose. Something you haven't figured out.

Also, he resigned and ownership wasn't going to fire him. But moving forward he wasn't going to be the only one making decisions, but would have been the guy getting the blame. I don't blame him for walking away. Owners signed on and then bailed. If you're not going to see it through then why do it on the first place? Makes no sense....

All I care about is seeing the Sixers good one day. Maybe, the Colangelo's will make that happen. I hope they do, but we'll see.

What the hell did the Sixers have when Hinkie took over? Stefanski traded Vucevic for Bynum. Hinkie had Jrue Holiday as his best player. Parlayed him into Noel. Ok whatever. Wash. Holiday is always hurt. Drafted MCW at 11 in a horrid draft and turned him into potentially a top 4-5 pick this year or a very high pick next year. MCW is coming off the bench for a crappy Bucks team. He hasn't improved whatsoever. Drafted Saric who is supposed to be a piece. We will see. Would've gotten Andrew Wiggins if Embiid doesn't hurt himself days before the draft. That's his fault? So instead he gets Embiid who still may or may not be something. We don't know. You know what we do know? Everyone picked after him stinks. Stinks. When the best guy who went after him is Julius friggin Randle you know you made the proper pick. The lottery was HORRID after Embiid. The next year he takes Okafor, who 95% of teams would've taken. He acquires the right to swap picks with the Kings this year, increasing odds to get a top 2 pick. The team has a minimum of 3 first round picks this year and potentially 2 top 4-5 picks. And they're a gazillion miles under the cap.

What's your alternative? Keep Jrue, who is always hurt? Resign Evan Turner for 50 million? Give Iggy another max deal? What's that team winning? 32 games? And drafting 13th every year?

Great. Awesome.

People act like he blew up something worth a shit. He took over shit and tossed it out the window, for hopes of something better. This is what the NBA is today. You have to take a torpedo to something when it's mediocre and destroy it. There's nothing they could've done a few years ago to turn a team led by Jrue Holiday into a contender. Free agents aren't going to look at your team. They may look at you with Simmons or Ingram or Embiid or Okafor. At least there's a chance. Which is better than what they had a few yrs ago. They had no chance. And no choice but to do what they did. If they didn't blow it up you would be saying they're below average slop stuck in no man's land, and begging them to blow it up like people begged the Phillies to blow it up way sooner than they ended up doing.

Hinkie apparently had a poor rapport with a lot of agents, and it's probably not a surprise why. Colangelo and his son have better relationships with agents and a better chance of getting free agents to actually look in this direction than Hinkie would. Hence the move. They no longer have a need to tank so they no longer have a need to have Hinkie tear it all down.

Last edited:
Burrs is absolutely crushed, his man crush is gone. The guy has no personality. You have to be able to be a human being but he's just a numbers geek.

Reactions: cleanwave
Here's the reality: the best team in the league drafted Steph Curry in 2009 and they didn't become good until 2014.

draymond-23.jpg

Burrs is absolutely crushed, his man crush is gone. The guy has no personality. You have to be able to be a human being but he's just a numbers geek.

I actually agree about the personality thing.

I'm not crushed, dude. i love sports, but I don't get crushed by what happens. I'll do what I always do with matters I have no control of. I'll hope the Colangelo's can put a good team together. All I ever said is that I was willing to give Hinkie a chance. I agreed with the idea, but I knew it wouldn't be easy. Never guaranteed anything. I really wish some of you people wouldn't pick and choose what you read from me.

Hinkie did exactly what he told everyone he would do. He said it was gonna hurt. This year was supposed to be the culmination of all that hurt. And now he's out. Ok. These new guys are gonna take credit for the actual NBA product that will be on the court next season? Child please.

I love how Jerry wants more basketball minds and brings in his son who's draft history really is more akin to Billy King's than a R.C. Buford's. As someone who was fully behind the "process" I'm completely enraged by this. If Hinkie did sh*t this off season than I would have wanted him gone, but I wanted to see what he was going to do. At least give the man the ability to capitalize on his moves.

The Colangelos better bring in some high end FA's and be able to trade one of the bigs and picks for another stud. But I have a feeling we'll end up with a combo like Mike Conley and Ryan Anderson. Ugh.

I love how Jerry wants more basketball minds and brings in his son who's draft history really is more akin to Billy King's than a R.C. Buford's. As someone who was fully behind the "process" I'm completely enraged by this. If Hinkie did sh*t this off season than I would have wanted him gone, but I wanted to see what he was going to do. At least give the man the ability to capitalize on his moves.

The Colangelos better bring in some high end FA's and be able to trade one of the bigs and picks for another stud. But I have a feeling we'll end up with a combo like Mike Conley and Ryan Anderson. Ugh.

That would be the absolute worst decision possible and would completely go the opposite of the so called process. Losers do that aka Detroit offering major contracts to the likes of Josh Smith and Greg Monroe 15 million ++. The NBA is littered with teams like that and others who sign average players to big and long contracts. You either barely make the playoffs with an early exit or as with Detroit you don't make it for 10 years. The 76ers have been there and done that for years with little or zero success.

This will be a critical off season with Embid, Saric and Simmons or Ingram and perhaps another top 10 pick. The key will be Embid who I believe will play this season. If it comes together like that, then you go after the best possible player available at the position you need via trade (more likely) or free agency.

That would be the absolute worst decision possible and would completely go the opposite of the so called process. Losers do that aka Detroit offering major contracts to the likes of Josh Smith and Greg Monroe 15 million ++. The NBA is littered with teams like that and others who sign average players to big and long contracts. You either barely make the playoffs with an early exit or as with Detroit you don't make it for 10 years. The 76ers have been there and done that for years with little or zero success.

This will be a critical off season with Embid, Saric and Simmons or Ingram and perhaps another top 10 pick. The key will be Embid who I believe will play this season. If it comes together like that, then you go after the best possible player available at the position you need via trade (more likely) or free agency.

Oh trust me, I agree that would be the worst decision possible. Look at Bryan bringing in Rudy Gay with Toronto. They don't make the playoffs and the Grizzlies go on a run. I'm praying they learned SOMETHING from Hinkie and won't bring in mediocre Free Agents with overpaid contracts. FA depends on what happens in the lotto, as that will show you what positions you might want to try and fill this offseason. Only guys that I think are realistic are Batum, Barnes, Gordon (for like 10-12) if you don't get a shooter in the draft, and maybe Kent Bazmore.

The fairest criticisms of THE PROCESS that I've heard revolve around the fact that his tactics - tank for high lottery picks, find value in 2nd rounders, trade rights to fake europeans for D-Leaguers, target low level FAs, eat other team's CAP SPACE in exchange for picks/role players, etc. - don't offer a competitive advantage if everyone else is looking to do the same things. His strategies lost their edge.

I don't understand this thinking. The Sixers have tanked 3 straight years and have as many as 4 picks in the first round. That's the #process. Unless you thought they were going to continue to deliberately lose for 5-7 straight years, how could they go away from the #process at this point? Hinkie misjudged the #process because he sucks with people so no one was going to sign with him, he miscalculated the cap and he built no culture. The Sixers have to start building a culture now. That was supposed to be the #process anyway. The #process was never to tank 5 years in row. They simply never got the studs the # process was supposed to deliver by way of Embiid, Okafor and Noel. They have Saric coming, a boatload of picks and money. Wasn't that the plan? Start building something now. How could they possibly go away from the #process at this point? You guys are so brainwashed you don't even see what's directly in front of your face. This was the #process. The # process is supposed to have born fruit. It simply didn't work because they drafted the wrong guys, and no one wants to play here. Now go do something.

Reactions: NickleDimer
But how many teams were doing that? No one has besides the Sixers the past three seasons. Going forward, if the process worked it would be emulated until the NBA changes lotto rules etc.

But how many teams were doing that? No one has besides the Sixers the past three seasons. Going forward, if the process worked it would be emulated until the NBA changes lotto rules etc.
You mean the rules where you can waste an entire year to have a 25% chance for the first pick? Think about those odds again before you respond. The lotto rules work fine today. If idiots can sell losing 5 years to a bunch of lemmings for a 25% chance to draft a guy who may or may not be great, good luck. That means your fans are idiots, suckers or both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT