ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hinkie as Sixers GM remembered

Yeah the point is to spend money wisely! Not to blow loads on Greg Monroe. Don't over pay for players. Sign quality Free Agents that fit into the needs of the team. Go sign a guy like Fournier who might blossom not having to play with two other ball needy guards. A guy like Barnes who has the talent to put up better numbers when he's a more focal point and plays great D. The #process for FA was starting this off season no matter who was in charge. I had faith that Hinkie would make sensible decisions with Free Agency and that Jerry had the relationships with FAs. I have no faith that both Colangelos will make sensible decisions.

Hell, I could see them in LeBron and KD's ear saying we have room for both of you and will offer the Clippers the world for Chris Paul.

You mean the rules where you can waste an entire year to have a 25% chance for the first pick? Think about those odds again before you respond. The lotto rules work fine today. If idiots can sell losing 5 years to a bunch of lemmings for a 25% chance to draft a guy who may or may not be great, good luck. That means your fans are idiots, suckers or both.

Yup, the same rules that owners almost changed this past offseason to give every non playoff team an equal shot at the top pick.

Sometimes you need things to burn down to rebuild. I hated seeing them have a losing record with a squad of under achievers in Holiday, Turner, and Hawes. I had no problem with the way they handled the past three seasons with the expectation they were to build correctly this offseason. If the balls roll the right way they get Wiggins or Towns. But they didn't. So it took an extra year. Fine. This offseason still has expectations for starting to build a foundation.

#TheProcess.......tank to maximize the chances of obtaining great players through the draft. Hinkie hasn't drafted any great players.....#EndofProcess

Reactions: Chimpat
The Sixers are in better position today than they were when Hinkie took over. Fact! And that's without any real luck coming their way so far. With or without Hinkie this was going to be an instrumental offseason. We'll see what happens.

As a fan, I'll support the Colangelo's and hope that they make good decisions. really. It's all anyone can do, Bitching about things every single day solves nothing.

Hinkie is one weird dude, the one line in his manifesto talked about how he was so upset that he was unable to originally sign Robert Covington. He makes it sound like Convington is more than a 9-12th man on an NBA team.

Reactions: NickleDimer
The Sixers are in better position today than they were when Hinkie took over. Fact! And that's without any real luck coming their way so far. With or without Hinkie this was going to be an instrumental offseason. We'll see what happens.

As a fan, I'll support the Colangelo's and hope that they make good decisions. really. It's all anyone can do, Bitching about things every single day solves nothing.
Yeah, because you never "bitch" about anything.

Yeah, because you never "bitch" about anything.

Sure I do. Just in smaller doses. I see no point in tearing into something day after day that I have no control over. Pointless, really.

The Sixers in better shape today??? Please explain why. They have no players and are the laughing stock of the league. You mean because they might get to draft some guy who won't help them for another 4 years and then a bunch of guys at at middle and end of first round who could be a rotation guy on a decent team? The Sixers are a dumpster fire with no players. Hinkie had them for a bunch of years and all they have to show is 3 tanks and some future draft picks. A trained monkey could have done this well.

If only we still we had Jrue half a season Holiday, ET, and Iggy we would be giving Lebron a run!

ADP, please remove yourself from all future NBA discussions. Thanks.

Reactions: AnotherBan
ADP thinks the Sixers shouldve kept Lou Will, maybe sign Devin Harris and Amir Johnson for 50M, win 36 games! Draft beasts like Sam Dekker in the middle of the first round. Thats how you build to championships.

Please enlighten me as to what path the Sixers shouldve taken 3 years ago? Apparently you would rather have all those superstars named above, and no cap space, instead of Noel, Okafor, Saric, Embiid, Simmons/Ingram, 2-3 more #1 picks, a bunch of other future #1 picks and no players tied to bad contracts. You wouldve preferred to win 35 games the last 3 years and draft in no man's land. I'm sure you would be really happy with the franchise then. Right? Since big free agents were gonna flock to come play with Evan Turner!

You mean the A.I. who just won a ring with Golden State and single-handedly shut down LeBron in the Finals? Nah, must be another guy.

Yeah he sure is great as the 4th guy who can concentrate on D and shoot the uncontested occasional 3. Are you serious with this shit? He's not a franchise cornerstone. He's a part behind THREE superstars. How do you suggest the Sixers were going to place one superstar next to him? Let alone 3? By drafting 15th the last 3 years?

You mean the A.I. who just won a ring with Golden State and single-handedly shut down LeBron in the Finals? Nah, must be another guy.

"Single handedly" shut down Lebron, eh? You mean the Lebron playing with Tristan Thompson and Dellavadova as his 2nd and 3rd option in the finals? The Lebron who managed to will his team to 6 games vs GS missing it's other best players? That Lebron?

This is exactly what happened.....

The other league owners cried wolf to Adam Silver, sick of the Sixers continually costing the other owners money by putting a product on the court that fans didnt wanna pay to see come to town. "They've been doing this to us on purpose for 3 yrs now, when does it end?". So Silver says, "ok ok I understand, I'll pull some strings:" Notifies Josh Harris and co. that the natives are getting restless. Forces the Sixers to hire Colangelo to ensure the tanking ends - even tho common knowledge would suggest Year Three was the last year of it, that I'm sure wasnt enough to appease the other owners. So in comes Jerry. Hinkie knows the clock is ticking on him as Jerry's son is looking to get back in the league. Hinkie says f*ck you and quits before he's fired. Who can blame him? Now the Sixers are going to churn these assets, and cap space, into God knows what sort of quick fix type of bullsh*t, which will assuredly result in more, alot more, wins in the short term, but at what cost? The Sixers brass can just lean on, "Hinkie only won a total of 47 games or whatever it was in 3 years, so see, we made the right move". It's a no lose situation for Bryan Colangelo. The whole thing wreaks. If you're behind the GM blowing it for all these years, and they clearly were behind the plan, let him actually work with the ingredients he set in place to capitalize on this offseason. It was finally time to reap the rewards of acquiring all these picks, hoarding all that cash, and stashing Saric/Embiid, and now he has to watch someone else cash in on what he did? It's horseshit. Josh Harris clearly is a coward and has no idea how to run a basketball franchise. You dont stand behind something for years, that is clearly being done for a purpose, and then pull the rug out from under the guy you supported this whole time just because your buddies in the owner's fraternity wanna buy a 4th yacht this summer. F*ck you, Josh Harris. You're just gonna sell the damn team anyway, F*cking weasal.

The Sixers in better shape today??? Please explain why. They have no players and are the laughing stock of the league. You mean because they might get to draft some guy who won't help them for another 4 years and then a bunch of guys at at middle and end of first round who could be a rotation guy on a decent team? The Sixers are a dumpster fire with no players. Hinkie had them for a bunch of years and all they have to show is 3 tanks and some future draft picks. A trained monkey could have done this well.

So the core of Jrue, Thadeus Young, and Evan Turner is better than Okafor, Noel, Saric, maybe Embiid and whoever they draft top 3 this year?

So the core of Jrue, Thadeus Young, and Evan Turner is better than Okafor, Noel, Saric, maybe Embiid and whoever they draft top 3 this year AND the Lakers pick AND 2 other #1's this year AND having a gazillion dollars to spend AND the Kings future #1 pick AND the Magic future #1 pick?

Fixed.

You guys act like the sixers have something today. Who do you think they are getting in the next draft? LeBron or kobe aren't eligible for this draft. Maybe they can draft Kris Dunn and bi's non-existent jump shot. Frachise builder.

If only we still we had Jrue half a season Holiday, ET, and Iggy we would be giving Lebron a run!

ADP, please remove yourself from all future NBA discussions. Thanks.

Seriously, ADP is just so out of his league with this stuff.,

You guys act like the sixers have something today. Who do you think they are getting in the next draft? LeBron or kobe aren't eligible for this draft. Maybe they can draft Kris Dunn and bi's non-existent jump shot. Frachise builder.

Hey genius, I would rather have Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram ALONE over Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday and Thad Young combined. If you offered those 3 guys for Simmons or Ingram a team would laugh in your f*cking face. And that's without even considering Okafor or Noel or Saric or Embiid or whoever they take with the Lakers pick or sign in free agency. The fact that people dont comprehend what they will have going forward compared to what they had 3 years ago absolutely boggles my f*cking mind.

Reactions: The_Expansion_Crew
Yeah he sure is great as the 4th guy who can concentrate on D and shoot the uncontested occasional 3. Are you serious with this shit? He's not a franchise cornerstone. He's a part behind THREE superstars. How do you suggest the Sixers were going to place one superstar next to him? Let alone 3? By drafting 15th the last 3 years?

Stop wasting your time. These guys don't like the NBA. They don't watch it. They don't care about it. They're cheerleaders for the JV league. They like scrappiness. Yawn.

Igoudala was traded by another regime. The Sixers had Holiday, Thad Young, and Turner when Hinkie came in. That's it.

Oh yea, the Sixers had zero 1st RD picks in '14 & '16 when Hinkie was hired. Somehow, he got them at least five, maybe six in those years.

Hey genius, I would rather have Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram ALONE over Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday and Thad Young combined. If you offered those 3 guys for Simmons or Ingram a team would laugh in your f*cking face. And that's without even considering Okafor or Noel or Saric or Embiid or whoever they take with the Lakers pick or sign in free agency. The fact that people dont comprehend what they will have going forward compared to what they had 3 years ago absolutely boggles my f*cking mind.

Because they don't understand the NBA.

Reactions: adp98
I understand the nba.you don't understand that 19 year olds don't win in the nba. Ben simmons can't even get lsu to the tourney. It will be years before he leads a team anywhere and a better chance he is a better version of Lamar oden. You guys act like this draft is loaded with surefire studs. Maybe they can get nick staskus with that 2nd pick in the first round. Maybe ben mclarmore or some other stiff who went top ten. And this draft is worse than the last few awful drafts. Look forward to them striking gold with that thunder pick. Maybe they can find a guy who is actually a rotation player.

I understand the nba.you don't understand that 19 year olds don't win in the nba. Ben simmons can't even get lsu to the tourney. It will be years before he leads a team anywhere and a better chance he is a better version of Lamar oden. You guys act like this draft is loaded with surefire studs. Maybe they can get nick staskus with that 2nd pick in the first round. Maybe ben mclarmore or some other stiff who went top ten. And this draft is worse than the last few awful drafts. Look forward to them striking gold with that thunder pick. Maybe they can find a guy who is actually a rotation player.

Nah, you dont understand the NBA if you dont understand why Simmons plays better in a league that plays a transition game and no zone defense. A guy like him that is an open court gazelle and can play the point at 6'10, and defend 3 positions, is a hot commodity. His unselfishness will play much better in a league where he's surrounded by actual players who like people who pass the ball. You're judging players by college team performance now? Okafor won a title as a frosh and you think he sucks. And we know 19 year olds dont win the NBA. The best thing about talented 19 yr olds is they become experienced 23+ year olds. It's not about TODAY, it's about assembling guys who actually have a ceiling and can grow into something together, when Lebron is coming back down to planet Earth and maybe someone else actually has a shot to break through in the East.

No one is acting like anything. What we are saying is that they are in a better position today than they were when Hinkie took over. It's a fact that you refuse to acknowledge.

How is that a fact. They are a pile of dog crap that has no winning culture, no one any good will come within 100 miles and they have to hope this is the year the draft actually produces something. It's not as if they haven't had high picks the previous few seasons and came away with little. Noel is likeable but no one would consider him a cornerstone. Okafor stinks, Embiid is one injury from being Greg Oden, Saric no one has any clue and there is no one in this entire draft who is a sure thing. So we've got some picks. Maybe they work, maybe they don't. We have nothing in terms of actual players. We'd have picks regardless of if we tried to suck or not. Hinkie blew the picks he made. You want to give him a gold star go right ahead. You act like these first rounders guarantee anything. This draft sucks.

How is that a fact. They are a pile of dog crap that has no winning culture, no one any good will come within 100 miles and they have to hope this is the year the draft actually produces something. It's not as if they haven't had high picks the previous few seasons and came away with little. Noel is likeable but no one would consider him a cornerstone. Okafor stinks, Embiid is one injury from being Greg Oden, Saric no one has any clue and there is no one in this entire draft who is a sure thing. So we've got some picks. Maybe they work, maybe they don't. We have nothing in terms of actual players. We'd have picks regardless of if we tried to suck or not. Hinkie blew the picks he made. You want to give him a gold star go right ahead. You act like these first rounders guarantee anything. This draft sucks.

See, you really miss the point. It's not just about having picks. They have more options, flexibility, money to be creative. Now do they have to make good decisions? Absolutely. But three years ago they had no players, no picks, and no money. They are in better position today to get good than they were then. There isn't a basketball person out there that would disagree with this opinion. Really, not a one.

Nah, you dont understand the NBA if you dont understand why Andrew Wiggins plays better in a league that plays a transition game and no zone defense. A guy like him that is an open court gazelle and can play the point at 6'10, and defend 3 positions, is a hot commodity.

Okafor won a title as a frosh and you think he sucks. And we know 19 year olds dont win the NBA. The best thing about talented 19 yr olds, like Noel is they become experienced 23+ year olds. It's not about TODAY, it's about assembling guys who actually have a ceiling and can grow into something together, when Lebron is coming back down to planet Earth and maybe someone else actually has a shot to break through in the East.

I've heard it all before. The Sixers have a 30% chance of landing Simmons. Simmons is no lock franchise-changer regardless. Ingram might be better. However, we heard this the year we slide to #3 and HAD to take the 7 foot, 19 year old with two stress injuries in 4 months. Nothing could wrong. We were supposed to get Wiggins at #1 but the balls were unlukcy. Even if we did, today no one is convinced he's a cornerstone on a championship team. His defense has regressed, his effort has been questioned and it's way too early to put him in Springfield. He was much more hyped than Simmons. Wiggins was the guy a year earlier was supposed to be the best pick since Lebron. Every year it's the next guy or the next guy. Each draft has a few good players. The idea it's always the one-and-done 19 year old is crazy. You had to get the right guys. Hinkie didn't so just accumulating picks wasn't valuable. He's done because when he had the picks he didn't get the right guys. So you are arguing they are better off. They are better off without him and that's why he's gone.

I've heard it all before. The Sixers have a 30% chance of landing Simmons. Simmons is no lock franchise-changer regardless. Ingram might be better. However, we heard this the year we slide to #3 and HAD to take the 7 foot, 19 year old with two stress injuries in 4 months. Nothing could wrong. We were supposed to get Wiggins at #1 but the balls were unlukcy. Even if we did, today no one is convinced he's a cornerstone on a championship team. His defense has regressed, his effort has been questioned and it's way too early to put him in Springfield. He was much more hyped than Simmons. Wiggins was the guy a year earlier was supposed to be the best pick since Lebron. Every year it's the next guy or the next guy. Each draft has a few good players. The idea it's always the one-and-done 19 year old is crazy. You had to get the right guys. Hinkie didn't so just accumulating picks wasn't valuable. He's done because when he had the picks he didn't get the right guys. So you are arguing they are better off. They are better off without him and that's why he's gone.

You're right we should close the book on all 19-21 year old players because they don't dominate the league from day one.

I do t make guarantees, so I don't know who you're talking about.

Out of curiosity, how would you go about building a team? Please tell us. Even though you watch 7 NBA games a year you do seem to have all of the answers. So, could you enlighten us with your wisdom?

You're right we should close the book on all 19-21 year old players because they don't dominate the league from day one.

I do t make guarantees, so I don't know who you're talking about.

Out of curiosity, how would you go about building a team? Please tell us. Even though you watch 7 NBA games a year you do seem to have all of the answers. So, could you enlighten us with your wisdom?
You need to build a winning culture and draft the right guys. Having a bunch of one and dones gets you nothing in the NBA. These kids won't be ready to win anything for 5-6 years even if you drafted the best ones. Which the Sixers have not. The idea you strip your entire franchise down, create a culture of losing and rely on kids is idiotic. The NBA takes men, a culture and then you add pieces in talent around. Look at the good teams today. They all rely on guys between the ages of 25-35. Heck the Spurs have a bunch of old men. You don't win by just loading up on kids. This is the part you say, "that's where the free agents come in". Hinkie was such a social misfit and had such poor relationships within the league no one was coming. I follow the NBA and understand it a lot better than you lemmings. Look at the draft, you tell me which guys you actually think the Sixers walk away with. And we'll assume they don't get unlucky again and slide to 3. Let's assume they actually stick in the top 2. So Ingraham and the pupu platter of other first rounders in an awful draft. Like I said, maybe they'll be lucky to draft another Nick Staskus with that 2nd pick. You guys act like what the Sixers did was successful and other teams went about building this way. Folks, this was a massive failure. Hopefully this year they can draft one guy who doesn't need a babysitter a la Emibiid and OKafor. That would be a good start.

Last edited:
NBA owners pissed at what sixers tried to do are hypocrites. They created this system whereby only 2-3 teams legitimately have a chance to win every year. No surprise that a team sick of going 41-41 every year would finally rebel and try to beat the system this way.

NBA owners pissed at what sixers tried to do are hypocrites. They created this system whereby only 2-3 teams legitimately have a chance to win every year. No surprise that a team sick of going 41-41 every year would finally rebel and try to beat the system this way.

This is blatantly false if you look at the data. It's pretty clear looking back that the Sixers overreacted to the Thunder's 2011 NBA Finals appearance (an anomaly as we now see) and failed miserably in recreating it. The Process only works if you can evaluate NBA talent and construct worthy teams. They couldn't, and it didn't.

This is blatantly false if you look at the data. It's pretty clear looking back that the Sixers overreacted to the Thunder's 2011 NBA Finals appearance (an anomaly as we now see) and failed miserably in recreating it. The Process only works if you can evaluate NBA talent and construct worthy teams. They couldn't, and it didn't.
This.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT