ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers Draft/Trade Rumors

Sixers must be reworking Saric deal a year early if that's true. I'm still not totally convinced.

Saw a Jon Rothstein tweet that the Sixers love Kris Dunn if they can get back towards the top of the draft.

he's a perimeter player who can't shoot, but in the open court and in playing the passing lanes he'd be a decent fit with simmons

saric was a good pick and i was pretty excited about his antics, but he's redundant now that you have simmons

and these corrupt bloated colangeli are going to take simmons, right?

he's a perimeter player who can't shoot, but in the open court and in playing the passing lanes he'd be a decent fit with simmons

saric was a good pick and i was pretty excited about his antics, but he's redundant now that you have simmons

and these corrupt bloated colangeli are going to take simmons, right?

I think his shooting can improve over time. I don't see a great shooter at his ceiling, but possibly a respectable one. I like his athleticism and length at that position. I think he'll defend and I think he'll be better playing with pros.

Saric has started to shoot it well, so today that part isn't redundant. Tho, I'm not worried about Simmons' shooting even a little. You can still be a star and not be a lights out shooter. But back to Saric, you can give it time with Simmons and see how it shakes out. Too soon to have ideal fit figured out.

Everything I have seen, from local guys, to national guys, that the pick is going to be Simmons. then again, it's not like these cats are ever wrong...

The Sixers need scoring and Simmons averaged more points per game, on fewer shots than Ingram. Yet, there are guys out there saying they should draft Ingram 'because he can shoot better'. Just stop. Imagine if he really starts to try to score. He didn't take perimeter shots because he didn't need to and I'm fairly confident it will come in time.

Colangelo and K are big USA basketball guys. They have spent a lot of time together. That would concern me. I can't imagine them passing on Simmons.

Colangelo and K are big USA basketball guys. They have spent a lot of time together. That would concern me. I can't imagine them passing on Simmons.

This thought has definitely crossed my mind. I think B. Brown helps here somewhat.

Love the narrative that Simmons isn't working out for the Sixers. Umm, he's not working out for anyone. He's slated to be #1 pick, so working out is more of a risk. Furthermore, he's never uttered anything that would suggest he'd frown upon playing for the Sixers. It's slow and people need stories. In other words - Yawn.

Update: Sixers' representatives met with Simmons on Thursday night. The Sixers also received his medicals. No other team as met with him or received his medicals as of today. He wants to be the #1 pick and it being in the CoP isn't a factor.

noel and simmons complement each other

okafor is shit on defense, and his ball-stopping negates simmons' ability to push and exacerbates his lack of shooting

just move him on draft night for the best package you can get for him, even it's something completely underwhelming like the 16th pick and james young (who i consider useless)

it was a mistake to pick him, he got the gm fired, just f--king move on. you're never going to be able to trade him for porzingis

Reactions: NickleDimer
embiid, towns, and simmons are the three best prospects of the last three years IMO

would be a hell of a thing if embiid actually had a career

lakers shopping russell, looking for a top 5 pick. don't love him, but like him a hell of a lot better than dunn or murray. maybe the sixers can worm into a 3 way

to continue to belabor the point, having embiid/noel/porzingis/simmons, even if they're all bigs, would be a hell of a lot different than the situation they're in now

i was able to restrain myself from going to a sixers game for the express purpose of fighting chucky okafor in the stands last year. if his fat coddled son isn't gone by this time next week, i can't make any promises about next year

embiid, towns, and simmons are the three best prospects of the last three years IMO

would be a hell of a thing if embiid actually had a career

lakers shopping russell, looking for a top 5 pick. don't love him, but like him a hell of a lot better than dunn or murray. maybe the sixers can worm into a 3 way

to continue to belabor the point, having embiid/noel/porzingis/simmons, even if they're all bigs, would be a hell of a lot different than the situation they're in now

i was able to restrain myself from going to a sixers game for the express purpose of fighting chucky okafor in the stands last year. if his fat coddled son isn't gone by this time next week, i can't make any promises about next year

I would rather have Russell than Dunn as well. I can see why LA might feel compelled to get him out of that locker room tho and just roll with Clarkson as their lead guard.

noel and simmons complement each other

okafor is shit on defense, and his ball-stopping negates simmons' ability to push and exacerbates his lack of shooting

just move him on draft night for the best package you can get for him, even it's something completely underwhelming like the 16th pick and james young (who i consider useless)

it was a mistake to pick him, he got the gm fired, just f--king move on. you're never going to be able to trade him for porzingis

This scenario is very possible. I'd be ok with it, I guess. Undoubtedly Hinkie's biggest mistake. I believe he took best available and his hopes were to move him this year. We'll see what happens.

Trade Okafor for nothing ?

I don't think "nothing" will happen, but I do believe a trade needs to happen. They need a 2-3 teams to bid against each other.

They can't go into next season with all these bigs.

The cap is going to be 94 mil. The Sixers are 60 mil from the floor. Any ideas how they plan on getting to that number? The contracts that regular dudes get is going to be crazy. Overpay dudes for one or two years. Don't dona urging crazy for 3-5 years.

I don't think "nothing" will happen, but I do believe a trade needs to happen. They need a 2-3 teams to bid against each other.

They can't go into next season with all these bigs.

The cap is going to be 94 mil. The Sixers are 60 mil from the floor. Any ideas how they plan on getting to that number? The contracts that regular dudes get is going to be crazy. Overpay dudes for one or two years. Don't dona urging crazy for 3-5 years.

Long standing opinion for me is that there are no bad one year contracts. Length is too painless. I'd even say there are no two year deals that are really a killer . Problem is those deal rarely materialize - and they generally don't for rebuilding teams - more so for guys looking to gap year for whatever reason with a contender .

Long standing opinion for me is that there are no bad one year contracts. Length is too painless. I'd even say there are no two year deals that are really a killer . Problem is those deal rarely materialize - and they generally don't for rebuilding teams - more so for guys looking to gap year for whatever reason with a contender .

Fair. Though I do think this summer is unique and you'll be able to possibly overpay on a shorter deal.

Fair. Though I do think this summer is unique and you'll be able to possibly overpay on a shorter deal.

That's going to be in interesting to see. Big part of me leans the opposite way though - with team finding themselves flush with space and cash - history tells us that GM's overpay in those situations - in both years and pay. Not unique to the NBA either. Nature of the position usually comes with a shelf life and if they ruin tomorrow for the chance of winning and keeping their job, what do they care?

Either way, it's going to be a wild few weeks in the NBA. Room to sign also means room to move players. Hoping for a lot of both. Makes it fun.

Enjoyed reading this and it should come as no surprise to anyone but Burrs. Article discussing upcoming trades that should happen before/around the draft. Shocking Okafor might not have as much value as you'd think. Can't imagine why.

Sixers send:Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas, Carl Landry and picks Nos. 24 and No. 26
Celtics send: Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter and picks Nos. 16 and No. 23

Why the Sixers do it:
The team has been shopping Okafor around the league and finding out he doesn't have the trade value they hoped he would. And with Ben Simmons expected to come aboard and Joel Embiid looking as if he might be able to play this season, Okafor just isn't a great fit in Philly.

Plus, the Sixers are going to need to surround Simmons with players who complement him -- especially shooters and elite defenders. Bradley is both; he's an especially good fit if the Sixers decide to play Simmons as a point guard on offense.

As to how they'll reach the floor? Guess they'll have to overpay some mid-level guys and try to swing a bunch of salary back in a dump for additional picks later?

Reactions: kjbert
I just read this, too. Also, heard Ford's comments last week. Stay current, brah.

Also, there is a segment that believe that Ainge has always had Ford's ear and could be playing this up. We'll see what happens.

I still wouldn't give Okafor away. Like you suggested. I would be willing to be reasonable, tho. Of course, I have no say.

I like Avery Bradley.

That Okafor trade adp outlined would be just horrible for the Sixers. I thought people were saying Okafor could get you No. 3? Assuming not, have to at least get another mid to high lotto pick if you move him, even if in a package. Improving your mid to late 1st rounders is useless.

I get this is part of adp's point, but I think they can do more than a little better than that.

Reactions: NickleDimer
It's just me suggesting, its pretty much everyone that understands the NBA. Getting back a few veterans who can play is not "giving him away". You have an unrealistic expectation of what a guy of Okafor's quality fetches. He's simply not a great fit into the modern NBA. He's got some value but you aren't getting a truck load for a center who can't play D, rebound, protect the rim or stretch a defense. I don't understand the fascination you guys have with draft picks. Mid-lotto? You're lucky to get a guy who will be a starter in mid-lotto land. Heck, 40% of the guys in the top 10 end up sucking.Get vets who can actually play. That's the path forward here.

It's just me suggesting, its pretty everyone that understands the NBA. Getting back a few veterans who can play is not "giving him away". You have an unrealistic expectation of what a guy of Okafor's quality fetches. He's simply not a great fit into the modern NBA. He's got some value but you aren't getting a truck load for a center who can't play D, rebound or stretch a defense.

Again, who used the term truck load? I never once stated that he was going to return a proven NBA All-star or anything like that.

I'll say it again. If they trade him I will look at the return and state if I like it or not, and whether or not I think it is fair value.

I'm just not giving away a 19-year old because some people who watch 5 games a year think he's finished developing.

So you're not giving him away or expecting a truckload. So the trade above makes a ton of sense then. I watch loads of NBA so don't start lecturing me about how smart you are on hoops.

So you're not giving him away or expecting a truckload. So the trade above makes a ton of sense then. I watch loads of NBA so don't start lecturing me about how smart you are on hoops.

No one said anything about being smart. You don't watch that much. Remember, you're busy and more about Nova hoops. It's ok.

You created this value that you thought I had and really haven't been accurate at all.

As far as of the example of the trade above I'm not sure how I feel about that one. I think they can do better.

Burrs87's reaction post template:

Again, who used the term
(insert a synonym for a term he used)? I never once stated that (insert something Burrs stated).

I'll say it again. If (insert future event) I will look at the (insert possible result of future event) and state if I like it or not, and whether or not I think it is fair value. (note how he allows himself to weigh in with his official prediction after the event happens)

I'm just not (insert original statement to complete the hedge).

No one said anything about being smart. You don't watch that much. Remember, you're busy and more about Nova hoops. It's ok.

You created this value that you thought I had and really haven't been accurate at all.

As far as of the example of the trade above I'm not sure how I feel about that one. I think they can do better.
I don't watch the Sixers, I do watch the NBA. Your response to everything Okafor is they shouldn't "give him away". You don't even know what that means because you don't understand his value.Don't give him away, don't expect a truckload and say every trade isn't good enough. The Burrs playbook on display.

Burrs87's reaction post template:

Again, who used the term
(insert a synonym for a term he used)? I never once stated that (insert something Burrs stated).

I'll say it again. If (insert future event) I will look at the (insert possible result of future event) and state if I like it or not, and whether or not I think it is fair value. (note how he allows himself to weigh in with his official prediction after the event happens)

I'm just not (insert original statement to complete the hedge).

Please, someone fill in the blanks.....

The last time ADP and I discussed this I suggested another top-half lottery pick in this year's draft, combined with a Bradley or something like that. He was ok with that. Is this a truckload?

The last time ADP and I discussed this I suggested another top-half lottery pick in this year's draft, combined with a Bradley or something like that. He was ok with that. Is this a truckload?
I think what ADP is saying is that Okafor's value is not that good right now.

If I can get Avery Bradley and another vet back I'm good. Unless you haven't figured it out yet, I don't think Okafor is very good and represents sunk cost. What you fail to grasp is the Sixers lack leverage. Teams look at their situation and can count. The Sixers have too many young bigs and nothing else. These other teams, take Boston, don't need to make this deal. The Sixers are on the clock because the season starts and you really don't want all these bigs heading into the season. So the onus is the Sixers to make a deal. Boston in this situation can sit back as they have multiple pieces many teams want. They will make a few deals and don't have a time table like beginning of the season. If I were Boston I'd find a way to get Kevin Love. At least he can rebound, pass, and shoot. If they will settle for Okafor because the cost is much lower find a way to get it done. Moving up the two draft picks in the back end, Avery Bradley and another vet works for me. You won't get a perfect deal because you're in a very imperfect situation and everyone knows it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT