ADVERTISEMENT

The Most Underachieving Team in MLB

I worked on funding for the Harrison soccer stadium. Done work for the Lerners but not connected to the ballpark. That's it on my end. Agree it's crazy but it the stadiums did wonders for downtown Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Edit, also remember the funding goes beyond the actual stadium. The infrastructure around, roads, parking etc..is where the teams really make their cash. Letting them own parking and concessions when taxpayers fund the stadium is a complete rape job on taxpayers. 2nd edit, one of my old partners was part of the deal to do Met Life. Another rape job on the taxpayers.

In your opinion, where is the line between "positive public infrastructure and town pride project" and "cash grab/taxpayer rape job"? I'm unsure of how I feel about it all. With crappy NBA franchises selling for $2B, it gets harder and harder to justify. But the side benefits are undeniable.

In your opinion, where is the line between "positive public infrastructure and town pride project" and "cash grab/taxpayer rape job"? I'm unsure of how I feel about it all. With crappy NBA franchises selling for $2B, it gets harder and harder to justify. But the side benefits are undeniable.
I guess that is for each city to decide. Look at what happens in LA on the football stadiums. I believe that is all private money. However, the city will kick in millions for infrastructure around the stadium and I'm sure the owners will get tax benefits. In a state going broke like California does that make sense? All to bring back football that left twice due to fan apathy? However, this is probably one of the better deals from a taxpayer perspective.

One of my buddies is Herb Kohl's son. He was an assistant VP or had some sort of title when his dad owned the Bucks. I played golf with him a few weeks ago and we talked about when they sold the team on the process. The valuation has exploded but if you recall, a key to that sale was keeping the Bucks in town and I'm sure the new arena has taxpayer dollars as part of the deal. So Kohl pockets a bunch of money and the taxpayers give the new owner/billionaire a taxpayer backed stadium. Folks seem happy and hail Kohl as a hero because he sold to a group who would agree to keep the Bucks in town. So I guess in their case it was worth it. I don't recall if the stadium funding goes for a vote or the process. However, over the border Minnesota almost shutdown their state government to fund the new Vikings Stadium. All for their billionaire developer owner Ziggie Wolf. Does that make any sense? Who knows. I remember when the Steelers were going through their issues. It would have been crushing to have them leave the Burgh. Same with the Pens. Cities seem to make irrational decisions when it comes to sports teams. Seattle residents wish they did the same with the Sonics.

One of my buddies is Herb Kohl's son. He was an assistant VP or had some sort of title when his dad owned the Bucks. I played golf with him a few weeks ago and we talked about when they sold the team on the process. The valuation has exploded but if you recall, a key to that sale was keeping the Bucks in town and I'm sure the new arena has taxpayer dollars as part of the deal. So Kohl pockets a bunch of money and the taxpayers give the new owner/billionaire a taxpayer backed stadium. Folks seem happy and hail Kohl as a hero because he sold to a group who would agree to keep the Bucks in town. So I guess in their case it was worth it. I don't recall if the stadium funding goes for a vote or the process. .

My understanding of the Bucks deal was that the new owners had till Nov 2017 to get a new stadium agreement (they got it - $250 mill from state/city). At that point they would have had the option of selling the franchise to the NBA, who would then manage possible franchise relocation. I heard that Scotty Walker recently cut about ~$200m of public university funding. And Walker's national campaign finance manager is a member of the Bucks' new ownership group. Yikes.

I believe that's right. If I recall, Kohl agreed to kick in some money as part of the sale, the new owners some money and the taxpayers the rest. All for hedge fund owners who probably pay carried interest on their hundreds of millions made last year. Seems silly but that's the world in which we live.

Hate when NickleDimer switches gears in a trolling thread and turns it into a semi-serious TQ session with hard hitting questions. Board pet peeve.

Greatest day for los Mets fans in a long time? Mets in first place and the Yankees are not?

Big series for the Nats with 4 in SF. Both teams on outside looking in right now.

The Mets are running away from the pack!

They own bad teams at home. Mostly because their pitching doesn't give up anything and they are usually able to scratch out a few runs. Good formula. I think they're 28-6 at home vs PHI, ATL, FLA, ARI, MIL, COL, SD, and CIN. 34-46 in everything else.

Four games into 10-game road trip and the Nats have already dropped 3 games. Now 4.5 out. Can they survive this trip? What will lead be once they return home?

Discuss....

Still too soon to tell. We're thisclose to panic time

Facing Degrom and Harvey in the playoffs will be tough for any team should they get there. That staff has got to be one of the best we have seen in a long time. When they get Matz and Wheeler back They basically have 5 pitchers who would be the one or two on just about any other team.

That staff has got to be one of the best we have seen in a long time.

It was only phour years ago

four-aces1.jpg

Their best shot was 2012 when tough guy Rizzo shut his ace down in the middle of a career year. The team and their pussy pitcher haven't been the same since.

Their best shot was 2012 when tough guy Rizzo shut his ace down in the middle of a career year. The team and their pussy pitcher haven't been the same since.
In fairness, they were never the same prior. Never had a winning season prior to 12. Still time left but it will be very interesting to see how the team looks next year. No Span, Desmond, Fister or Zimmermann. Lots of money to add more pieces. Strasburg gone the following year. Plenty of arms ready at easy money. What I struggle with is how do you fix the line-up? Taylor takes over for Span, which is good. Turner for Desmond, which is great. However, you're paying Werth two more years and Zimmerman is starting to hit but hasn't been healthy in 4 years. Hopefully they can get hot and we push these talks off until November. Better hurry.

Losing Desmond and Fister is not a loss. They both suck.
Agree and Giolito is the top pitching prospect in baseball. He could be an upgrade over Zimmermann. Regardless, this group has 7 weeks left to win a playoff seriees and make a run. We'll see. If not, a huge disappointment.

MLB updated top farm systems and those Phightin Phils come in at #7. Nats weren't in top 10. Don't shoot the messenger.....

Burrs (this is a compliment no need to argue) you are a great fan of your teams. Big half glass full guy when it comes to your teams Temple and the Phillies

Burrs (this is a compliment no need to argue) you are a great fan of your teams. Big half glass full guy when it comes to your teams Temple and the Phillies

I care a lot more about the Phillies. Really. You can paint me as this super TU fan all you want, but it's really not like that. Pro teams waaaaayyyyyy ahead of them and Nova.

Anyway, no sense in being any other way. It's suppose to be fun and for the most part a positive experience. It's a diversion from every day life. In the entire scope of things it's not that important. I can be really into, but separate it from what really matters.

Again, not my list. Some dude from MLB.com. And it's a lot better to be 7th than 27th.

Bryce leaves game early after fouling one off his leg. Gutless. The Mets can't beat good teams, so no additional games have been lost.

Mets are good against the west, last time they went out they held their own unlike the Nats. And they dropped two extra inning games to a very good team this weekend while the Nats got beaten 28-12 in getting swept four games. That said, would have been nice to have pressed the lead to 6.5, or at least 5.5 with the Nats struggling this badly. They're bound to bounce back for a run soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT