ADVERTISEMENT

We will have so much winning if I get elected

"........over the unlimited riches of the private sector?"

where in the private sector is unlimited riches? Let me know so I can start working there.

We all have choices and no one is forcing me to work where I do. But in my world (at least it's real to me), I don't get to negotiate raises or benefits, I get told what they are. And when the economy goes into the shitter, I get "asked" to take some weeks off without pay (say no to that one at your own risk!). And when they need to cut the pension by 2/3 to make it sustainable, I don't get to strike over it, it just happens.

Reactions: ericw
Dan, it's a saying. The guy having a contract is basically meaningless. Which was the point of me asking the real world impact. To which I'm waiting an answer. Still have all protection and benes. Only someone with a contract would bitch about not having one when it has practical impact. You have a contract at your firm that guranttees your salary without any stioulatuons? If so, cap tip to you.
This is your patented move.. you actually didn't believe it was possible in NJ that teachers would be teaching with an expired contract (to ND's point that means their past CBA rolls over) but now you are asking something different and waiting for an answer. In my view specific to NJ the biggest issue is the bloated bureaucracy of a gazillion school districts and the administrative monster that creates with nice helping of patronage .. not so much the people in the classroom who aren't working in the real world.

"No contract" = still receiving a paycheck, free health care benefits, and a pension.

And when the contract is eventually signed, they will receive retroactive pay.

These teachers are not exactly starving, especially in a state like NJ.

Bg, what is the move? Having no contract has no real world implication. The fact we're even talking about a contract shows the silliness of the point you brought up. Besides ballplayers. how many people have a contract? CEO's and union folks. That's basically it. Regardless, that doesn't have anything to do with real world experience which was always my point. Note, I didn't have any real world experience as a snot-nosed kid working on the Hill. I was a lot like teacher. I told others how to do. I'm owning it. Let's all just own our $hit and we'll be better off. I don't want to hear complaints about not having a contract. My contracts all have 30 day outs. You can fire me tomorrow. That's life. Lastly, I actually appreciate teachers and what they do. I don't have the apathy or hatred towards them. Note, I don't want to hear them bitch about not having a contract. No one cares. Teachers have some great benefits to being a teacher. It was a decision made so don't complain about the pay or how tough it is. Do something else.

The_real_world_hawaii.jpg

I see the misconception that Obama was a "professor" still endures. In reality he was a "lecturer", which I believe in academia translates to "random minimally qualified person hired to plug a hole in the schedule, who aspires one day to become a junior assistant adjunct professor".

Bg, what is the move? Having no contract has no real world implication. The fact we're even talking about a contract shows the silliness of the point you brought up. Besides ballplayers. how many people have a contract? CEO's and union folks. That's basically it. Regardless, that doesn't have anything to do with real world experience which was always my point. Note, I didn't have any real world experience as a snot-nosed kid working on the Hill. I was a lot like teacher. I told others how to do. I'm owning it. Let's all just own our $hit and we'll be better off. I don't want to hear complaints about not having a contract. My contracts all have 30 day outs. You can fire me tomorrow. That's life. Lastly, I actually appreciate teachers and what they do. I don't have the apathy or hatred towards them. Note, I don't want to hear them bitch about not having a contract. No one cares. Teachers have some great benefits to being a teacher. It was a decision made so don't complain about the pay or how tough it is. Do something else.
the move is the goalposts... your arguments are like sand bars or shoals. You suggested it was a made up story and not feasible.... now you have started down an entirely different path, some of which I agree with. Having no contract to him has some real world impact because of where he was on their guide/step and having had no raise (nor is it likely his raise will be completely retroactive and its very likely this has a very real world impact on his total potential lifetime earning power if he chooses to stay in the job but I digress). Just because you say it doesn't matter doesn't make it so. I completely agree there are many benefits teachers have that I don't working in the real world for a company with a publicly traded owner, but I don't think that confers some level of brilliance upon me that is out of reach for others.

Dan, it's a saying. The guy having a contract is basically meaningless. Which was the point of me asking the real world impact. To which I'm waiting an answer. Still have all protection and benes. Only someone with a contract would bitch about not having one when it has practical impact. You have a contract at your firm that guranttees your salary without any stioulatuons? If so, cap tip to you. And let's not get confused here, it has nothing to do with real world experience running anything which was the debate.
I'm an owner. I have $0 of guaranteed income. Real world experience in the real world (I think). I'm launching my campaign. McGuire 2020: Probably Not Materially Worse Than The Others

I'm an owner. I have $0 of guaranteed income. Real world experience in the real world (I think). I'm launching my campaign. McGuire 2020: Probably Not Materially Worse Than The Others
Exactly. You get paid when your clients pay you. You still have to ensure you have cash to pay your employees regardless. That doesn't happen when you run the school board.

the move is the goalposts... your arguments are like sand bars or shoals. You suggested it was a made up story and not feasible.... now you have started down an entirely different path, some of which I agree with. Having no contract to him has some real world impact because of where he was on their guide/step and having had no raise (nor is it likely his raise will be completely retroactive and its very likely this has a very real world impact on his total potential lifetime earning power if he chooses to stay in the job but I digress). Just because you say it doesn't matter doesn't make it so. I completely agree there are many benefits teachers have that I don't working in the real world for a company with a publicly traded owner, but I don't think that confers some level of brilliance upon me that is out of reach for others.
Who gets a collectively bargained raise? Again, we all live in the real world. You get sick, it's real. We have all real world problems. We don't have all real world experience that applies to running a country. That's what we're arguing. So let's just all stick to the script. I haven't shifted anything. I'll say it again, the guy I like has no real world experience either. Marco Rubio is a career politician. He's run nothing. I still think he'd be a good President. Why you ask, he at least acknowledged that real decisions need to be made and values the fact others who do run stuff have hard decisoins to make and can't rely on big brother to take care of them. He's not telling small business owners, "you didn't make that". So for me, that's better than say Trump. Who clearly has much more experience and success running business entities. There has been no shift. Let's all just keep it intellectually honest. You are the one who brought up the lack of a contract for your teacher buddy as if it was some huge hardship. 99% of the people working don't have contracts or guaranteed raises, stop it.

Last edited:
I see the misconception that Obama was a "professor" still endures. In reality he was a "lecturer", which I believe in academia translates to "random minimally qualified person hired to plug a hole in the schedule, who aspires one day to become a junior assistant adjunct professor".
From my alma mater on this subject:
"From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined"

From my alma mater on this subject:
"From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined"
Sounds like whoever wrote that was awfully defensive about this topic.

OK, I believe you... he wasn't a professor, but he really was!

I brought up that example prior to the distinction of us all living in the real world but only some of us (non-union, non government, etc) having real world experience. So real world experience sounds a bit like the business equivalent of "guy I'd share a beer with"

We do need a president who stands up for what drives this country. The small business owners. We need more, we need more invention, creativity. With risk there must be reward. Thats what makes this country so great. Not you take all the risk and we will take all the reward. Money needs to be more available to start ups. Today banks only lend if they have zero risk. The guy/girl starting a company is forced to deal with Private Equity, Hedge Funds or Mezzanine lenders and way to early in their development giving to much away to get things off the ground. Many people find themselves constantly getting pitched with new ideas because people have no way to raise start up capital without getting fleeced. Those that are able to maneuver through this truly deserve all the credit because its tougher than it ever has been. Its stifling new technology which is what we need to drive the economy.

Solid post, Piper. Barriers to entry are quite high these days especially with regards to raising capital.

We do need a president who stands up for what drives this country. The small business owners. We need more, we need more invention, creativity. With risk there must be reward. Thats what makes this country so great. Not you take all the risk and we will take all the reward. Money needs to be more available to start ups. Today banks only lend if they have zero risk. The guy/girl starting a company is forced to deal with Private Equity, Hedge Funds or Mezzanine lenders and way to early in their development giving to much away to get things off the ground. Many people find themselves constantly getting pitched with new ideas because people have no way to raise start up capital without getting fleeced. Those that are able to maneuver through this truly deserve all the credit because its tougher than it ever has been. Its stifling new technology which is what we need to drive the economy.
Capital is abundant. Yes, if you have a start up with no assets (read: high risk loan), you're not getting a loan at L +200. You'll have to share the upside with the people actually putting their money at risk. Seems fair to me. And there are tons of companies making small loans to startups at rates in the mid teens. They're a good play at high volumes.

Exactly. You get paid when your clients pay you. You still have to ensure you have cash to pay your employees regardless. That doesn't happen when you run the school board.
Happened in Chester school district and in sure in a lot of other shrinking tax base districts. Is this turning into a "cash flow woes" dick measuring contest? Or are you guys just incapable of empathizing with anyone who isn't a partner at a consulting firm?

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Dan actually your getting money in the teens as a convertible note. I have not seen no asset based start up financing in the teens anywhere. Please let me know where this exists so I can let people know. The only money available in the teens is on AR something a start up doesnt have

Last edited:
Happened in Chester school district and in sure in a lot of other shrinking tax base districts. Is this turning into a "cash flow woes" dick measuring contest? Or are you guys just incapable of empathizing with anyone who isn't a partner at a consulting firm?
You are telling me teachers didn't get paid because the Chester school district ran out of money? If so, I"m sure they got paid quickly. Again, nice strawman attempt but no fish are biting.

ND, you might to do some reading. The teachers VOTED to start the school year working without pay. Regardless of that vote, the taxpayer made sure they got paid. Drive thru, pay at the first window and pick up your food at the second. And with that last post you're never allowed to call anyone a blowhard again. "are you guys just incapable of empathizing"...blowhard.

HESTER, Pa. (WPVI) --
Teachers and staff from the Chester-Upland School District, who voted to start the school year working without pay, will receive paychecks after all.

In a statement released Wednesday morning, the school district said the office of Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf has agreed to cover a debt payment, allowing the district's more than 300 teachers and staff to be paid.

"As a result of the State of Pennsylvania making the district's debt service payment, as well as the district's efforts to allocate resources, the district will be able to make its payroll payment today," said Chester Upland Receiver Francis Barnes in the statement.

"We greatly appreciate our dedicated staff's commitment to our students during these times. We also sincerely thank all who have continued to support the district," Barnes said.

While the payment temporarily alleviates the current cash crunch, it does not resolve long-standing financial difficulties plaguing the district.

Barnes and officials from the school district and the Pennsylvania Department of Education were due to appear before President Judge Chad F. Kenney at 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with the real world experience requirement is that being president doesn't require real world experience. It's a figurehead position. Sure, Obama may not have coordinated any mergers and acquisitions, but his job is a diplomatic and bureaucratic job. If you really believe having Warren Buffett as president would lead us into utopia - I get where you're coming from, but the realities of politics in this country are that the methods which work in government don't have many similarities to what we do in our real day jobs - unless our day jobs are in government.

This isn't a strength of our government. Making things happen is about kissing the right ass, working "across the aisle" or getting the right people on your side. Maybe Trump is good at that. But with the way he attacks people, I don't think he is. We're talking about a job where you are supposed to care about people's livelihoods. Call me naive, but I like a politician who builds bridges instead of burning them. Goalposts moved.

Didn't even know about Chester's recent stuff. I'm taking about a few years ago. Long before comrade Wolf. Chester SD's problems are long and deep. They've been having trouble making payroll for a long time and not because their teachers are fat cats pulling in 200k a year. It's beacause there are a shitload of kids and no tax base. It's an example of a public employee having to worry and make decisions about people getting paid. Sure tax revenue is a slam dunk in most places, but there's a lot more to the world than being a partner and trumpeting how macho you are for "eating what you kill".

Last edited:
Didn't even know about Chester's recent stuff. I'm taking about a few years ago. Long before comrade Wolf. Chester SD's problems are long and deep. They've been having trouble making payroll for a long time and not because their teachers are fat cats pulling in 200k a year. It's beacause there are a shitload of kids and no tax base. It's an example of a public employee having to worry and make decisions about people getting paid. Sure tax revenue is a slam dunk in most places, but there's a lot more to the world than being a partner and trumpeting how macho you are for "eating what you kill".
Chester is the exception, not the rule.

There are many, many other school districts in PA where the teachers are doing just fine.

Chester is the exception, not the rule.

There are many, many other school districts in PA where the teachers are doing just fine.
And there are many many other private businesses in the NE corridor where employees are doing fine.

Adp's point was that public sector work never involves sacrifices or tough choices or worrying about making payroll. And that's not true.

And there are many many other private businesses in the NE corridor where employees are doing fine.

Adp's point was that public sector work never involves sacrifices or tough choices or worrying about making payroll. And that's not true.

And you chose one out of a handful of school districts in which this is the case.

In the vast majority of school districts, the teachers don't have to worry about receiving a paycheck.

But you are not intellectually dishonest, so you knew that already.

Sounds like you want Karl Marx to govern.

Everyone in life faces tough choices. However, I'm sure those teachers got paid as daddy taxpayer is always there. Regardless, there can always be an exception to every rule. That doesn't make the rule void and your typical speech about having empathy was pure blowhard.

Nd, thats government-executive experience. Again, your money is guaranteed for you. Makes life a little easier than being responsible for the employees and their paycheck. People who don't understand this have never been responsible for paying other people's paychecks. Much greater stress and responsibility. Requires much more.

Enjoy this post again, folks.
Adp's got it so much harder than everyone else. So much responsibility and stress.
No one knows his struggle.
tobey-maguire-crying.jpg

That pic reminds me of the teachers who whine that the summers aren't long enough.

th

ADP has a point. No one should ever whine about how difficult or stressful their job is (real world or otherwise)----it was a choice. Do something else.

Reactions: NorCalVU10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT