ADVERTISEMENT

Draft Lottery Thread, tonight is the night

my point is the sixers had no other option but to take whichever one of the three that was left. they were not going to take Exum or Randle. same thing this year if they get 3. whoever is left of Okafur, towns, Russell is their pick.

and i didnt say the worst team always gets #1 but it gives them the best chance. if you are gonna tank, then tank and win like 6 games.

Reading the tea leaves (yes one of many stupid cliches that make no sense), seems Russell is the Sixers target. Ideally you get 1-2 pick and use it to trade back to 3 and grab an additional asset from a team that will probably want Towns or Okafor.

as someone who grew up outside of DC, the way the caps/wizards collapsed was perfect. their fans, as with most on the east coast, are insufferable. but their annoyance is more a product of their complete removal from reality than a general sense of superiority or d!ckishness. once the caps went up 3-2 and wizards were up 2-1 you'd have thought both were already in the championship.

Insufferable?
Wizards fans are pretty much apathetic but decent enough fans, not overconfident in any way (why would they be?).
Caps fans are pretty admirably rabid fans but when it comes down to it, you get the feeling that they kind of always expect the collapse to come along. Again, not really overconfident or overbearing.
So I don't see either one as insufferable. The worst thing about the DC region sports fan is probably the undue attention to the Redskins. They are pretty much the worst of the four right now and they still get the most attention. That's the only "insufferable" thing from the DC 4x4 types or whatever you call it.

Insufferable?
Wizards fans are pretty much apathetic but decent enough fans, not overconfident in any way (why would they be?).
Caps fans are pretty admirably rabid fans but when it comes down to it, you get the feeling that they kind of always expect the collapse to come along. Again, not really overconfident or overbearing.
So I don't see either one as insufferable. The worst thing about the DC region sports fan is probably the undue attention to the Redskins. They are pretty much the worst of the four right now and they still get the most attention. That's the only "insufferable" thing from the DC 4x4 types or whatever you call it.
This. I agree with every word. Caps fans are probably the best but have the sense of dread due to all the collapses in the playoffs. Skins fans are just beaten down by Snyder. They hate him and are pretty much hopeless. As long as he owns the team they are destined to suck and they know it. Wiz are just happy to be here. I would add the Nats fans are new fans. They still don't know when to stand or cheer and they leave playoff games early. However, because it's an entirely new fan base the seems be a great sense of building something. Also, not in the least bit cocky due to all the losing (present company obviously excluded but that's a me thing not a Nats thing).

Sixer end up at 3. They should get one of the guards. Nice.

don't the Celtics have 4 also? so 2 teams in the same division own 26% of the draft

4 #1's for Hinkie in 2016

Yep.

The Knicks GM looked about as sad as you would see anyone tonight putting his head down after the #4 pick was announced.

This should be all about D'Angelo Russell. The Wolves and Lakers are going big IMO which should put Russell and possibly Mudiay sitting there for the 76ers.

Russell is about as perfect a fit for the Sixers as it gets. A guy who can run a team, is a very good passer but can also shoot it well at a very young age as well as create. He will be a terrific offensive point guard. His issues will be at the defensive end. Fortunately with Noel and Embiid alot of that can be compensated for on the back end.

I wont be surprised if Hinkie is tantalized by Mudiay's physical gifts. He's a better athlete than Russell for sure. He's like John Wall in transition. But....his jump shot sucks. And isnt that why Hinkie bailed on MCW?

don't the Celtics have 4 also? so 2 teams in the same division own 26% of the draft

Yep. BOS will have their own, CLV, DAL, & BRK. Reasonable to think that all of these will be between 15 and 27 ish....

I think the Sixers will be better next year, but the team with the 6th worst record this year had 29 wins. I think the Sixers can win 25-26 this year. So, their pick will probably fall in the 4-7 range. I see the Lakers being in the 8-13 range. Miami could be anywhere from 12-18. I expect OKC to be in the 22-26 range.

So the Knicks get whichever guard the Sixers don't take. Not that horrible.

The Knicks probably wanted one of the bigs but Mudiay isnt a terrible fallback.

So the Knicks get whichever guard the Sixers don't take. Not that horrible.

True and maybe not a bad thing, but I'm sure they wanted a top 2 pick for one of them bigs. Also, don't rule out a trade with them. I think they'll push hard to move that pick for an established player. I think I read that they like Winslow, too.

Lakers fans I've talked to seem to believe they take one of the guards, likely pushing okafor to nyk.

I'm scared the Lakers will take Russell. Depends how much they like Clarkson. They need everything so they could go many ways.

I stand by my comment re: dc idiocy. Everyone talks about skins fans revolting against synder, that's something that only started last year, year and a half ago. When rg3 was taking them to the playoffs you couldn't find a fan that wouldn't slurp his d. The ol' ball coach, Gibbs 2.0, even Zorn! Delusional. And the caps, while consistently hard luck, attract the most annoying minivan fans to their playoff games. Anyone else been there for a playoff game or 3 as a divisional playoff rival? I have. Lupul, bitches. Walk around there in a flyers/rangers jersey and listen to the terrible s-talking that commences. Anyone that knows them is aware that when it's 3-1 they always lose. Try pointing that out to a dc local and see what response you get. The wizards have been garbage since Unseld but all of a sudden they're walking taking Paul Pierce's. Let's not forget their chest beating before the Nats collapse a couple years ago.

This is a city that has one of the worst records of any 4-team metropolis since god knows how long. Yet turn on the g damn sports radio or look at any DC/Nova/Southern MD chauncies social media and you'd think they were 4-for-4 champs during round 2.

Delusional.

What's the deal with Saric? Are we expecting him to be with the Sixers next season or what?

What is the Sixers starting 5 if he is with the team and they draft Russell?

Russell
Wroten?
Saric
Noel
Embiid

When do the sixers use their CAP SPACE?
I would s*ck the devils dick for Kawhi Leonard but there is no chance in hell the Spurs let him go. Plus, they can offer him the most money and with the cap going up it may not make sense for him to even sign a max deal just yet.

If the Sixers could land one of these players I would love it:

Leonard
Jimmy Butler
Draymond Green

Maybe they have a shot at Green. He is in a great spot with the Warriors, but he will always be behind Curry and Thompson.

Unlikely that Saric comes over this year. That's just the vibe I get and pretty much stays true to what was said from the beginning.

Arak, why do you want to know the starting line-up? Do you think you'll start posting them here?

To early to forecast that. Remember last year at this time Embiid was going #1, hurt his foot, and changed everything around.

I'm not even sure Russell will be there or he's the guy Honkie and Co. prefer. Most likely scenario is Towns/Okafor 1/2 and Russell 3rd, but that is far from set in stone.

Still not convinced the Sixers don't move back into the first round and grab another player. They have possibilities here.

I don't think anything significant FA wise happens this year, but you never know. They could try to add someone this summer.

Unlikely that Saric comes over this year. That's just the vibe I get and pretty much stays true to what was said from the beginning.

Arak, why do you want to know the starting line-up? Do you think you'll start posting them here?

To early to forecast that. Remember last year at this time Embiid was going #1, hurt his foot, and changed everything around.

I'm not even sure Russell will be there or he's the guy Honkie and Co. prefer. Most likely scenario is Towns/Okafor 1/2 and Russell 3rd, but that is far from set in stone.

Still not convinced the Sixers don't move back into the first round and grab another player. They have possibilities here.

I don't think anything significant FA wise happens this year, but you never know. They could try to add someone this summer.
I have a standing bet with a couple friends that the Sixers will make the playoffs next year.

Why in the world would the Sixers move back? This is a 4 man draft. They need to stop acquiring "assets" and start getting players. Russell is a player in a position of need. We're making this way too hard. The entire reason you tank is to get elite talent. Embiid and now Russell. That was supposed to be the point. We didn't need to tank if the goal was to get a bumch of late lottery, mid round players.

Why in the world would the Sixers move back? This is a 4 man draft. They need to stop acquiring "assets" and start getting players. Russell is a player in a position of need. We're making this way too hard. The entire reason you tank is to get elite talent. Embiid and now Russell. That was supposed to be the point. We didn't need to tank if the goal was to get a bumch of late lottery, mid round players.

I meant move back into first round by acquiring a 2nd First round pick.

However, if Russell went second, then I could absolutely see the Sixers moving back. Possibly gauge how badly the Knicks want Okafor and make a trade with them.

Burrs, that's what I don't get. Then take mudliay. Getting another first round pick to take Stanley Johnson does nothing for you. You didn't need to openly tank to acquire a bunch of guys drafted at 8-15. They already have 4 picks next year. It's time to get a player.

Everyone knows the Sixers don't want another big in Okafor, what are the knicks going to give them? They have nothing of value left. The Sixers going to get another stash of 2nd round picks? I just don't see how that makes any sense. You take Russell or Mudliay. One will fall and you grab them.

Burrs, that's what I don't get. Then take mudliay. Getting another first round pick to take Stanley Johnson does nothing for you. You didn't need to openly tank to acquire a bunch of guys drafted at 8-15. They already have 4 picks next year. It's time to get a player.

You're missing the point. I said gauge the Knicks interest in Okafor. If they want him then swap picks (Take Mudiay) and possibly add a future pick. I'm not suggesting for them to move down further.

Everyone knows the Sixers don't want another big in Okafor, what are the knicks going to give them? They have nothing of value left. The Sixers going to get another stash of 2nd round picks? I just don't see how that makes any sense. You take Russell or Mudliay. One will fall and you grab them.

I disagree. No one knows what the Sixers are thinking. It's all speculation, albeit logical speculation. If the Knicks are desperate enough you take the 4 and their 2018 1st rounder.

So basically, we agree. If you can fool the knicks you're not moving past 4. I'm fine with that as long as the outcome is one of the guards. I don't see the Knicks giving much as they have nothing to give. The only guy I could see the Lakers taking is Mudliay at 2 as opposed to Okafor. Wouldn't it be a bitch if that happened and the Sixers made the trade only to see the Knicks take Russell. Seems highly unlikely a deal such as you suggest makes any sense for either team. If your guy is there at 3 you take him.

if the lakers take Russell, the Sixers take one of the remaining bigs or trade #3 for #4 and something else and grab Mudiay if they dont want the big. its a good spot to be in. anything below 3 would have sucked.

Wall is a nice player but having Beal next to him makes that backcourt dangerous.

WTF are the Knicks gonna trade the Sixers? They have no #1 next year. Oh and they have NO PLAYERS. Not one Hinkie would want.

With very little assets, I do not see the Knicks giving away more to move up one spot. Doesnt make sense. I think there are a couple players in this draft that may develop into pretty good NBA player - I am not sure the chances of them being the 3rd and 4th pick are any greater than 10 and 12 to be honest. Mudiay has a lot of questions and Russel is far from complete. Dont think we're talking can't miss here.

WTF are the Knicks gonna trade the Sixers? They have no #1 next year. Oh and they have NO PLAYERS. Not one Hinkie would want.

Let's face it, but Jackson isn't going to be patient. They will sign or at least try to sign two tier 2 FAs this summer. Pair them with Melo and try to salvage that. Maybe, they covet Okafor to pair next to Greg Monroe. Ok, if LA takes Russell then you play the game with the Knicks. You ask for their '18 1st Rd and swap picks. In their delusional minds they probably feel their 2018 pick will be in the 20's anyway. Regardless, the Sixers can do that, still get Mudiay at 4, and possibly grab a 1st RD'er. The entire next month is a game of cat and mouse. Play your cards right and you migh pick something else up and still get a player you want.

Saying all that, I still believe that the most likely scenario is Towns/Okafor going 1/2 and Russell to Sixers at three.

I'm not a big fan of the Sixers drafting clumsy shooting guards from Ohio State.

dm_100115_ncf_katz_evan_turner_new.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT