ADVERTISEMENT

Draft Lottery Thread, tonight is the night

Russell is a PG, Turners beef with the Sixers was they wouldnt let him play PG and he felt that was his position.

Turner couldn't shoot and never got better with that. Russell was 41% from three this year.

Not even top 100 in the country.

So what? It's still a solid percentage and better than Turner's, as well as being two years younger. Two different players and comparing them because they both went to OSU is silly. Plus, when you add his shooting ability to the rest of his skill set then you have something. List all college players that averaged 19+ ppt, 5 rpg, 5 apg, and shot 41% from the arc.

If Towns and Okafor are gone, will their be better option for the Sixers' at three? Discuss...

Russell is very, very good. He's a perfect fit. This actually worked out for the Sixers.

WIP Caller Solution:
trade for Kyrie Irving
Ownership solution:
give up and sell the franchise for twice what they bought it for 4 years ago

Ha ha ha ha, your best one yet, ND.

Incapable of giving an answer. Just rather sit back and mock everything.

i think 3 is perfect for Hinkie, limits his ability to make some stupid trade on draft night and forces him to pick Russell or Mudiay and add a guard that the team really needs. Everyone knew Turner was going to be avg at best, but lots of experts are really high on Russell.

Hinkie has to field a team that can grow together. running Noel Embiid and Russell would be a good start then in 2016 you have Saric and then a lot of first rd pick in 2016. Sixers will basically have 5-6 lottery picks on their team in 2016-17.

What Hinkie cant do is prolong this rebuild, trade #3 for something down the road. the fans and coaches wont stick around for that. Brett Brown was on 97.5 this morning and he flat out said this year I need a team that is gonna be here long term or im gone.

So what's the piece/asset tally?
Pieces:
Nerlens, Embiid

minor pieces (back of bench guys):
Covington, Robinson, Grant

Assets:
Wroten, CAP SPACE, five 2015 2nd rounders, four 2016 first rounders, two 2016 2nd rounders, a bunch of 2018+ 2nd rounders.

So it sounds like they better pray that the 2016 draft is loaded (Brunson #1?) or they can make good use of CAP SPACE.

Russell and Turner are nothing alike. Russell had excellent court vision. Very good passer. Good instincts. Turner's a crap passer with zero basketball IQ. Russell is also miles ahead as a shooter from where Turner was as a HS freshman. Turner's game didn't evolve u til his junior year in HS. Russell was carrying his team as a frosh. Extrapolate where Russell is now to Turners age today and you have a completely different player. This is silly. Russell also can seamlessly play both guard spots. Good ballhandler-passer for the 1. Good enough shooter for the 2. Turner was always going to be a tweener. He's neither good enough to be primary PG nor a good enough shooter to be a primary 2G.

Russell and Turner are nothing alike. Russell had excellent court vision. Very good passer. Good instincts. Turner's a crap passer with zero basketball IQ. Russell is also miles ahead as a shooter from where Turner was as a HS freshman. Turner's game didn't evolve u til his junior year in HS. Russell was carrying his team as a frosh. Extrapolate where Russell is now to Turners age today and you have a completely different player. This is silly. Russell also can seamlessly play both guard spots. Good ballhandler-passer for the 1. Good enough shooter for the 2. Turner was always going to be a tweener. He's neither good enough to be primary PG nor a good enough shooter to be a primary 2G.
The Sixers definitely got a good deal with the #3 pick. Russell looks like a winner to me, we shall see and somehow if the Lakers take him, I think the Sixers should take Okafor.

Hinkie is going to throw max offers at multiple players. It just makes sense because worst case, it helps his rep with agents and players for putting a max offer sheet out there and forcing their teams to match. They have the ability to structure the deals in whatever way they want right? I'd offer Butler and Green, as I think the Spurs already are prepared to offer the max.

Saric isn't coming over for another season. That was known last year when they drafted him. And it works from a timing perspective regarding the cap.

I won't talk in "facts" ie Embiid would be the number one pick in this year's draft. But I'd rather be the Sixers with a plan - albeit one based on luck and players panning out (which is really every team's plan - remember when Curry couldn't keep his ankles healthy?) as opposed to the Knicks not having a plan or anything else besides Carmelo (who is an aging one dimensional player).

they could easily trade #3 to NY for their #4 and something else if they'd rather have Mudiay over a big. maybe the Knicks first rd pick next season or something. 3 is the best spot for the sixers. that way they cant mess it up. take who is left of Towns, Russell and Okafur or possibly add another pick and drop from 3 to 4 and take Mudiay.

what cant happen is stinky hinky trades the pick and they walk away with nothing for this draft and have 4 1st rd picks in 2016. you need to get something this June and start growing as a team.

they could easily trade #3 to NY for their #4 and something else if they'd rather have Mudiay over a big. maybe the Knicks first rd pick next season or something. 3 is the best spot for the sixers. that way they cant mess it up. take who is left of Towns, Russell and Okafur or possibly add another pick and drop from 3 to 4 and take Mudiay.

what cant happen is stinky hinky trades the pick and they walk away with nothing for this draft and have 4 1st rd picks in 2016. you need to get something this June and start growing as a team.

Do the Sixers really take Okafor if he's available?

NB, that second paragraph isn't happening.

Also, the Knicks don't have a 1st RD pick next year.

people are pretty high on one of the Euros. supposed to be a more athletic Dirk. cant imagine anyone being that good.

Burrs whats your thinking?

im going Russell if he is there and he will be.

so you have
Russell
Noel
Embiid.

thats a nice base. then in 2016-17 add Saric and the 2016 pick, 2016 Lakers pick and 2016 Heat pick (correct?) 2017-18 is their year.

NB, my thought today is that they will end up with Russell with the third pick. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Russell goes 2nd, or the Sixers end up liking Mudiay better, or something happens between now and the draft that alters things (ie Embiid last year).

My goal for the Sixers next year is for them to win ten more games. If additional players join the team this summer then I might change that number. So, even if they win 10 more games that will still put them around drafting 6th (SAC had 6th pick with 29 wins this year). That's still a good pick next year.

Their other three potential 1st RDers are OKC (top 15 protected), MIA (top 10 protected), & LAL (top 3 protected). I think all are likely to convey next year, but obviously that could change with 1/2 injuries. I think OKC will be 22-27, MIA 12-18, and LAL 8-12.

Using all four probably won't happen. I could see a package deal to move up or for an existing player.

Hypothetical:

If you were the Knicks, would you give the Sixers the 4th pick for either three or all four of their 1st RD picks next year?

would the sixers even do that? and yes if im the knicks i do that in a second. i get all the sixers picks via the trades with Miami, LAL and OKC whether they come to realization in 2016 or beyond.

Knicks need a total rebuild, not sure Mudiay , Miles Turner or Winslow or either of the two Euros is gonna be of help to them by themselves.

Sixers draft both Mudiay and Russell with 3 and 4? and just hope one is an all star?

Hypothetical:

If you were the Knicks, would you give the Sixers the 4th pick for either three or all four of their 1st RD picks next year?

Absolutely yes but not sure if or why the 76ers would do it. Now if for some very strange reason one of the big guys fell to #4, then the Knicks would not. The obvious reason is they would get multiple young players but maybe more importantly they would do it because they missed out on the only two legitimate big men in this draft.

I would LOVE to get both Russell and Mudiay and make that my backcourt for the next decade.

http://nba.derekbodner.com/2015/05/21/sizing-up-the-sixers-options-with-the-3rd-pick/

Good article on sixers' possible choices. Balanced take overall.

To summarize (his opinions not mine, but he definitely knows more than I do):

Russell - Average athleticism a concern. %s significantly worse across the board against top 100 RPI teams. Still, idea is that teams doubled him all the time- Steph Curry would get triple teamed and his numbers fell at Davidson. 30% chance

Porzingis - 7 foot shot blocker, good feet, can hit the 3. Extremely skinny and could get eaten alive. 20% chance.

Hezonja - Gordon Hayward like size/athleticism with more of a mean streak who has played professionally since age 15 against high level competition. Mental focus is biggest knock. 20% chance

Mudiay - not the ultra elite athlete some say, but almost a lock to be a good NBA pg. Shooting is concern. Hinkie only GM in the league who travelled to China to see him. Not ideal fit for Sixers. 15%

Winslow - great player with potential to kill teams on both ends, but 3 and D guys are relatively attainable. Being a lefty improves half court offensive potential. At #3 you should shoot for the moon though. 15% chance.

Article also mentions a rumored Cousins to Lakers for #2 trade. Thought is the sixers could insert themselves, pick up a Laker or Kings player and the Kings #6 - take whichever of these guys falls.

Both Hezonja and Porzingis are said to be coming to the US next year - not a draft and stash situation.

Personally, I like the Hezonja idea more and more. Could to be the Ginobili to Brett Brown's Popovich. His highlight reel is awesome.

Last edited:
people are pretty high on one of the Euros. supposed to be a more athletic Dirk. cant imagine anyone being that good.

Porzingis can shoot well but seems more like a set shot guy. Not someone who's gonna shoot right over people. He's really skinny - even though he's a good athlete I don't trust the skinny euros - think Jan Vesely or Tskitishvili of however you spelt that bust from mid 2000s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT