ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies

Originally posted by Joe Vance:

Harang with good outing..

Re Howard: Unless Phils get Howard protection,He won't see any Fastballs---all garbage;and away..
Don't swing at it.

Someone trying to come up with ways to fix Ryan Howard is like someone trying to come up with ways for tjc not to lie.

edit, i can't write.
This post was edited on 4/13 6:01 PM by nardibynature123

He's a power hitter..that's why he makes what he makes

Phils F....d him up

Club in the process of bottoming out. This is good. Need to trade Hamels. Should be gone by July 31. A lot of high draft picks in the future. Should be strong in about five years.

Once the Howard Utley Hamels Paps money is off the books they can reinvest all that money back into the team in the form of younger players via free agency. But they will also need to draft will with the high picks they will have and who could possibly trust these scouts to get that right ?

Originally posted by Helen&HouseDicks:
Yeah Phillies are to blame. Seriously how much meth do you do?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Allow Vance to continue. I'm curious to hear his theories.

Injuries, age, and regression are the main culprits here.

Who said anything about young "studs", altboy?

I said younger players, which is about 95% of the league compared to Howard, Papelbon and Utley.

Sharpen up on those reading comprehension skills.

Originally posted by gldendog:
Who said anything about young studs, "alt"boy?

I said younger players, which is about 95% of the league compared to Howard, Papelbon and Utley.

Sharpen up on those reading comprehension skills.
fixed for the correct quotes.

Originally posted by Joe Vance:

Re Howard: Unless Phils get Howard protection,He won't see any Fastballs---all garbage;and away..
Literally all people are throwing him now are fastballs. The secret is out he can't even hit those anymore.

ADP, do we have a baseball bet this year? I know that we came close with the Hamels trade but never closed. I thought we did make another one though. If not, lets.

Originally posted by selmore1:
ADP, do we have a baseball bet this year? I know that we came close with the Hamels trade but never closed. I thought we did make another one though. If not, lets.
I bet you there will be a lot of violence in the CoP this year from pissed off 4 for 4'ers.

Please provide an example of a young player they could sign that would help the Phils. Thanks.
Please provide just one example for why you're so bored with your life that you create a new "alt" every month. Thanks.

Please provide an example of a young player they could sign that would help the Phils. Thanks.
Please provide just one example for why you're so bored with your life that you create a new "alt" every month. Thanks.
In his defense, he just keeps getting banned.

I recommend BrooksBaseball. Here's their analysis of Ryan Howard:

In 2015:
Against All Fastballs (69 seen), he has had an exceptionally good eye (1.47 d'; 78% swing rate at pitches in the zone vs. 24% swing rate at pitches out of the zone) and an aggressive approach at the plate (-0.04 c) with a high likelihood to swing and miss (24% whiff/swing).

Against Breaking Pitches (25 seen), he has had an exceptionally poor eye (0.30 d'; 56% swing rate at pitches in the zone vs. 44% swing rate at pitches out of the zone) and a steady approach at the plate (0.01 c) with a disastrously high likelihood to swing and miss (75% whiff/swing).

Ryan Howard

Back on topic. Please provide an example of a young free agent who could help your team. Thanks.
"Your". And the "alt" outs himself as a New Yawker. Surprise, surprise, Golmer Pyle.

Still ducking the question. I'm asking for an example of a young free agent next year for phillies. You offered it up as a solution but like most things with you seem to be talking out of your ass.

And your alt uncovering skills are top notch, Colombo.

Still ducking the question. I'm asking for an example of a young free agent next year for phillies. You offered it up as a solution but like most things with you seem to be talking out of your ass.

And your alt uncovering skills are top notch, Colombo.
Next year Phils aren't signing shit. Not til that Howard contract is clear. Years.

There are some players out there to sign like Justin Upton but it makes no sense at this time. Due to baseballs archaic service time requirements, you're rarely going to be able to sign a big free agent that's younger than 25 or 26. So with the state of the team it doesn't make sense to sign a 27 year old who will be 30 before the team even has a chance to do anything. The only moves I'd like to see them make this off season (besides trade everyone they can to rebuild the farm) would be to sign low risk high reward players. Sign a few former highly ranked prospects who flamed out, get some guys coming off an injury or maybe have a little history of injury that they could overcome. Basically cheap guys that other teams have given up on but at least at one time showed some talent. At this point they should be experimenting with any type of potential they can because there's no downside since they'll be one of the worst teams in the league anyway.

Also, I'd like to see them heavily invest in the Cuban/Dominican/Japanese market. I know that there is only a certain alottment of funds allowed for these types of players but I would like to see them maximize their spend in this area. Recently the cuban/dominican market has produced some really great players and the teams have been able to lock them down on long term deals that are actually pretty cheap. Alot of the recent guys are WAYYYYY underpaid compared to what their fair market value would be but that's because you're taking the risk because they're unproven. But so many of these guys have come over and succeeded that I think that risk is mitigated a little bit and I'd like them to go all in on the best foreign prospects that are available. That'd be a nice way to start the rebuild and is relatively low risk because the club has so much money.

"sign low risk high reward players"

"Cuban/Dominican/Japanese market"
1) As opposed to low reward players? Or high risk players?

2) Their first foray into Cuba has been a smashing success. Their front office and scouting system is broken and they shouldn't spend a dime until they get that resolved.

Yes, as opposed to low reward players. Are you not familiar with that? What I mean is just filling spots with old veterans who you know won't be on the club for the long term. I'm talking about young guys that showed flashes and maybe just need a change of scenery. And who cares if their scouting department is broken, spend the money. The scouting is already done for them. Everyone knows who the next big cuban or dominican prospect is and they should actually get involved in getting them. Their scouting department might suck but when the rest of the league knows about a prospect, just throw money at them.

Like the Cubs got Jorge Soler on a 9 year $30m deal. Puig was a 7 year $42m deal. Yosmany Tomas was 6 years and $65m. These are relatively low risk moves because the contracts aren't killers and have incredible upside. Everyone knew who these players were (I know the Phils tried for Tomas) and I would like to see them start to aggressively go after them as they rebuild.

Yes, as opposed to low reward players. Are you not familiar with that? What I mean is just filling spots with old veterans who you know won't be on the club for the long term. I'm talking about young guys that showed flashes and maybe just need a change of scenery. And who cares if their scouting department is broken, spend the money. The scouting is already done for them. Everyone knows who the next big cuban or dominican prospect is and they should actually get involved in getting them. Their scouting department might suck but when the rest of the league knows about a prospect, just throw money at them.
So, the free agent market is just bursting with talented young players that the Phillies don't try to sign. Sounds like Jay's big man recruiting strategy.

Are you suggesting that the same "rest of the league" that openly mocks the Phillies embarrassing talent evaluation skills is best outmaneuvered just by overspending? At least Almaraz isn't some inbred Giles/Montgomery disciple.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
Game 4: 0 runs (Total 10)

Reasonable chance for zero again tomorrow.
Game 5: 5 Runs (Total 15).

Half way there. I had an O/U lunch bet with a guy at my company on 31.5, gonna be close.

Funny how it works. In the game vs the best starting pitcher they actually get five.

Game 6: 1 run (Total: 16)

Probably should have had a few more as Niese was very hittable and they had numerous opportunities with RISP.

Anyone still wasting their time watching this bullshit team?

Anyone still wasting their time watching this bullshit team?
I watched the first five innings and then back and forth for final four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT