ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies

This start Utley is off to reminds me of when Schmidt hung 'em up in May.

How long before he moves to first base?

I suspect Utley has plenty left - but he knows the team is bad. Sending him to a division leader will get him back to good numbers for a 2B I think. He's mailing it in. I dont blame him. AHCU2LAD?

I suspect Utley has plenty left - but he knows the team is bad. Sending him to a division leader will get him back to good numbers for a 2B I think. He's mailing it in. I dont blame him. AHCU2LAD?

I don't think Utley has mailed it in even a little. That's never been his M.O. He's just not the same player. Also, part of it is a slump, but if you have watched the games over the last week then you know he's made a lot of hard outs. A bit unlucky right now, too.

I don't think Utley has mailed it in even a little. That's never been his M.O. He's just not the same player. Also, part of it is a slump, but if you have watched the games over the last week then you know he's made a lot of hard outs. A bit unlucky right now, too.

I appreciate your '4for4'ness here, but c'mon. Simple balls going through is legs, barely waiving at some pitches, lot of jogging. Yes, he's slumping but the game to someone like this is mental. Could it be he's 36 and no longer juicing has actually caught up to him? Yes, of course, but I don't think so. He doesn't seem slow or old to me, he seems disinterested.

I appreciate your '4for4'ness here, but c'mon. Simple balls going through is legs, barely waiving at some pitches, lot of jogging. Yes, he's slumping but the game to someone like this is mental. Could it be he's 36 and no longer juicing has actually caught up to him? Yes, of course, but I don't think so. He doesn't seem slow or old to me, he seems disinterested.

It has nothing to do with 4-for-4. He's not as good as he once was and the decline gets more obvious with each year.

I've never been a Utley is God Phillies' fan. He's been a good player. In some years special. But overall, a tad overrated amongst some of the fan base.

Regardless, he's never been a go-thru-the-motions player. Never. His demeanor never changes on the field.

Again, you're an expert on a CoP team. How is this possible? Because they played a three-game series vs the Mets and he made an error on a ball hit hard.

Also, is the juice bit going to be put into every post? Sometimes players are good. Then, they get either hurt, older, or both and they are no longer good. According to you I guess every player that achieved between 2005-2011 was only good because "testing wasn't as hard".......give it a break.

It has nothing to do with 4-for-4. He's not as good as he once was and the decline gets more obvious with each year.

I've never been a Utley is God Phillies' fan. He's been a good player. In some years special. But overall, a tad overrated amongst some of the fan base.

Regardless, he's never been a go-thru-the-motions player. Never. His demeanor never changes on the field.

Again, you're an expert on a CoP team. How is this possible? Because they played a three-game series vs the Mets and he made an error on a ball hit hard.

Also, is the juice bit going to be put into every post? Sometimes players are good. Then, they get either hurt, older, or both and they are no longer good. According to you I guess every player that achieved between 2005-2011 was only good because "testing wasn't as hard".......give it a break.

Maybe because they have never sucked like this? Never said I was an expert - but i do watch at times. Ball he missed at Citi was the definition of routine. Solidly hit but not exactly a bullet. Regardless, he looks pretty lackadaisical to me compared times I have seem him in the past. Hard to blame him I guess.

Far as the juicing comments go, as a stat guy surely you know that it's not in nearly every post. Can think of just two or three within a few dozen baseball posts this year. Let's keep it honest intellectually. But let's also not act like our heads should be buried in the sand just because we like the game. It happened. A lot. And it's worth noting when looking at players objectively.

Maybe because they have never sucked like this? Never said I was an expert - but i do watch at times. Ball he missed at Citi was the definition of routine. Solidly hit but not exactly a bullet. Regardless, he looks pretty lackadaisical to me compared times I have seem him in the past. Hard to blame him I guess.

Far as the juicing comments go, as a stat guy surely you know that it's not in nearly every post. Can think of just two or three within a few dozen baseball posts this year. Let's keep it honest intellectually. But let's also not act like our heads should be buried in the sand just because we like the game. It happened. A lot. And it's worth noting when looking at players objectively.

Never sucked like this? I guess you just started watching in the last decade.

Definitely an error, right at him, but hit hard and certainly not routine Mr. Intellectually Honest. Regardless, so one error proves lackadaisical. He hit two HRs the game before.

Sometimes we use hyperbole to prove a point. Let's just say you won't shy away from taking a "juice" shot when it comes to talking about what a CoP player did in their prime. Why do they call it prime again?

Safe to say I watch a lot more of the Phillies than you do. Utley's skills diminish more and more every year. He's 36 for Christ sake. It happens. I think he still has respectable play left in him, so I think you'll start to see him get hits sooner than later. Like I said, he's hit into some tough luck since the two HR game. The manager echoed the same thing today. He's not going through the motions, tho. You're wrong about that. If he was then I'd say it. I have never been an Utley ball-licker.

Never sucked like this? I guess you just started watching in the last decade.

Definitely an error, right at him, but hit hard and certainly not routine Mr. Intellectually Honest. Regardless, so one error proves lackadaisical. He hit two HRs the game before.

Sometimes we use hyperbole to prove a point. Let's just say you won't shy away from taking a "juice" shot when it comes to talking about what a CoP player did in their prime. Why do they call it prime again?

Safe to say I watch a lot more of the Phillies than you do. Utley's skills diminish more and more every year. He's 36 for Christ sake. It happens. I think he still has respectable play left in him, so I think you'll start to see him get hits sooner than later. Like I said, he's hit into some tough luck since the two HR game. The manager echoed the same thing today. He's not going through the motions, tho. You're wrong about that. If he was then I'd say it. I have never been an Utley ball-licker.

Utley has been on mostly good Phiilies teams. He has not been on a lot of bad teams and certainly not one as bad at this. That's the point, and it was pretty clear for most.

The play was routine in every way. Any play that Daniel Murphy makes just about every time, Utley should make. And no, that one play doesnt prove his play, but it is a glaring example of it. Just didnt look like the same player, In fact no one on thsi Phillies team looks terribly interested in being there. I agree with you though ...eventually Utley will get more hits, perhaps based on the fact that unless he does, his chances of getting out of Dodge diminish greatly.

GA tickets were also $1 for kids unless there was a giveaway. Then I think it was $3. My father would take my brothers and me all the time. Pay a buck a kid, then pretty much sit wherever you wanted. Fun way to spend the summer

GA tickets were also $1 for kids unless there was a giveaway. Then I think it was $3. My father would take my brothers and me all the time. Pay a buck a kid, then pretty much sit wherever you wanted. Fun way to spend the summer

GA was $7 for adults, your ticketed seats were anywhere in the upperdeck not in the infield. And even if you actually sat in those seats, a team rep would often come up and give you tickets behind the plate so that they could send the upper deck ushers and concession workers home earlier.

I know it was a dollar for kids in the 80's. This is when there were still bleachers in the upper 700 level and the seats up there were yellow. When you paid $1, you didnt even get an actual ticket, you got one of those "KEEP THIS COUPON" type things that they use for a door prize type raffle thing.

I remember once there were a couple of drunk Mets fans behind us. They threw a piece of popcorn that hit my brother. My father turned around and knocked one of them cold w one punch. He then proceeded to pound the other one. Cops came. My brothers and I were crying because we thought our dad was going to go to prison.

They were actually really cool about it. The cops cuffed both the other guys and the Phillies were really apologetic: they gave us a bunch of their giveaway stuff for that year and moved us down to two rows behind the Phillies dugout. Still the best seats I ever had.

Perhaps he should have asked these two drunks politely, but firmly, to refrain from throwing things at his 5 year old son.

Anyway, it seems this situation was rectified in a satisfactory manner.

I do. I speak politely, but firmly, directly to the adenocarcinoma. If that fails, I refer the patient to a septuagenarian usher.

Sorry.

"I ain't a dick about it or nothing but I talk right to the cancer. If that don't work I send em to the old ass usher."

No problem, cuz.

philly-fan-tattoo.jpg

Dom Brown optioned to Triple A. He is not world beater, but what sense does this make? Jeff Francouer seems like a good guy and it's a nice story that he is back in the big leagues, but there is no reason for him to be starting and getting playing time. Same with Sizemore. Just an idiotic move to not have one of your younger players who has shown in the past that he can hit getting everyday AB's.

He needs more time with swinging the bat. He's struggled during rehab stint. Get a few hits and he'll get called up.

With that said, I'm not sure why Francoeur has to start five straight games and bat clean-up each time.

042915_cooney-600.jpg

Former Malvern Prep star Tim Cooney will pitch Thursday vs. Phillies

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...hursday_vs__Phillies.html#6VgHwFleeeRA4vrA.99

Lineups:

Philadelphia

Odubel Herrera CF

Freddy Galvis SS

Darin Ruf LF

Ryan Howard 1B

Jeff Francoeur RF

César Hernández 2B

Cody Asche 3B

Cameron Rupp C

David Buchanan P

St. Louis