ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies

Originally posted by Helen&HouseDicks:
So no one else sees the irony in ADP calling someone else a bandwagon fan? Just me?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Ohh, I saw it but was at the Please Touch Musuem with Baby Burrs #1 & Baby Burrs #2. So, a let that simmer for a little bit. Like if these Phillies were playing in DC there wouldn't by more than 12K in that stadium nightly. Not to mention how his fandom came about.

By the way, I saw a lot of empty seats the last two nights. I guess they're waiting for the "run."

Originally posted by ChuckSullivan97:
Jesus christ, Desmond is beyond terrible at short.
Putrid.

But I do admit it feels good to have called this during the 2013 season.

Desmond's bat needs to stay in the lineup, but I really think they need a solution there. That is maybe the most important defensive spot on the field, and he has difficulty making routine plays.

Update:

Game 9: 5 runs (Total 25)

We have gone over the 24.5 number, but by how much? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

So there's one team the Phillies can beat. The National League favorites.

Wow burrs, you called it in 13 when Desi made 20+ errors. You're amazing. He's started every season the same way. Go look at the numbers. He boots balls into May and then cleans it up. This is what he does. He also strikes out a ton, drives you nuts but is 20-20 and 80. RBI's at the SS. That's who's he's been. You didn't "call" anything.

Actually, I called he was poor defensive SS and you disputed it. Yes, you did. And his days as a SS will be ending sooner rather than later. Something else I called. Just like Zimmerman's moved from 3B. Something else you disputed.

No one saw that Zimmerman moving coming. With all those shoulder injuries. You are a amazing. I called Ryan Howard would strike out a lot and the Phillies would suck this year. I'm awesome, could not have seen those coming. Desmond's going to get paid to play SS. So when that happens after this season I'll wait for you to come here and mea culpa. Not sure you capable to to admit you are wrong. As I've stated too many times to count, someone will overpay but it won't be the Nats.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:36 AM by adp98

Almost as good one someone calling the Phillies to drop off the cliff the winter before it happened. Looks like we have some solid baseball people here.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Almost as good one someone calling the Phillies to drop off the cliff the winter before it happened. Looks like we have some solid baseball people here.
Cap tip to you and others. See, not hard to do.

Originally posted by adp98:
No one saw that Zimmerman moving coming. With all those shoulder injuries. You are a amazing. I called Ryan Howard would strike out a lot and the Phillies would suck this year. I'm awesome, could not have seen those coming. Desmond's going to get paid to play SS. So when that happens after this season I'll wait for you to come here and mea culpa. Not sure you capable to to admit you are wrong. As I've stated too many times to count, someone will overpay but it won't be the Nats.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:36 AM by adp98
A couple of things and then we can move on.

Im sure others did see the Zimmerman move coming. Never claimed to be the only one. Just saying on this board I stated awhile ago and at that time you disputed. This is factual.

Somrone will pay Desmond to play for them, but anyone who does thinking he can play that position decently for the next 4/5 years needs their head examined. That much I know. Stop brushing it off that it's only an early season thing with him. He's a butcher and a mistake prone defensive SS. Obvious to anyone with a brain.

Burrs, someone will pay desmond and they won't consult you. So not sure what you're patting yourself on the bacl for. Evidently you agree with Rizzo and every Nats fan, it won't be us. Everyone knew Zimmerman was moving to first. The only question was when. His shoulder kept getting worse and he moved over. Again, everyone knew it was coming. Strasburg looked gr8 today. Enjoy those 65 wins.

So, you're denying that you initially disputed Zimmerman would have to move? Typical of DC folk, I guess.

Adp, how many more years will Desmond be a full-time SS? After this season.

Scouts don't need to scout me. I'm sure they see it that he's a butcher, too. At least I hoped hey do.

It was cool to see Strasburg get a really nice ovation from the Nats' crowd and just walk into the dugout without acknowledging them. Weirdo, who more than likely doesn't know how to be great despite having immense talent.

And you enjoy watching your new team coming up small. Again!

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

I started this thread for one reason only. To get BWs predictions on total runs scored.

I'm setting the O/U of runs scored at 24.5. Give me your over/under and the total runs you expect in these 10 games.

Sidenote: with 7 games vs Nats it's possible some unearned runs score because their SS is a butcher.
Final update:

Game 10: 1 run (Total: 26)

Good job Burrs for setting a solid o/u number.

I think I'll continue this feature for the next 6-game honestand. This time revolving around Ryan Howard. Should be fun.,

Burrs, I don't understand what you're arguing in regards to Desmond. He might move off SS. No one is arguing he'll play there forever. What exactly do you want credit for here? The reality is someone is going to give him a huge contract to play SS. If he keeps hitting like this it will be silly big. So it really doesn't matter if you believe some day he moves. They will pay him to play SS now and worry about it later. Unless you think he's getting a 3 year deal. So what's your point? Everyone with two eyes can see he might potentially move. The guy is what, 29? His next contract will pay him like the best paid SS's in the game. What are you trying to take credit for now? The fact he might move at some point? We all agree. Just like Zimmerman. Now if you want to try and say he's moving next year and he won't be signed as a SS you're saying something. I don't think anyone believes that's in the cards.

I think it's possible. I want my SS to catch the ball and make all of the routine plays, which he doesn't do and hasn't done in some time. If I'm signing him it's to play 3B or LF.

Anyway, so we agree. His days at SS are numbered moving forward after this season, correct?

Also, do you admit that he stinks as a defensive SS?

The criticism has gone on since the guy became a major leaguer. He's never been a good fielder. This is not something new.

No one is disputing that the Phillies stink.

Originally posted by Helen&HouseDicks:
7th in batting order I would imagine is just the 1st step. When do phils just outright release him? Can we get a burrs over/under? I say June 15th.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I addressed this during the first few games of the year. Not sure if it's in this thread or not. I thought we'd see a platoon, then a drop in order, and then eventually the release. The first two has already occurred. My sense is that they'll give him at least six weeks. Maybe, all of April/May, but if he's below the Mendoza line come June then I suspect it happens. So, your date sounds reasonable.

I read that Franco is off to a good start in LV and they moved him
to 1st base some of the time.

Burrs, you might want lots of things but you don't run an MLB team. There is zero chance desmond is signed as anything but a SS. As someone who has watched him play for 5 years, he makes errors in bunches. Always has. At some point he'll right the ship and play solid defense. His M.O. Has been to start horribly and then play well defensively later in the year. I have no clue why but as it's been one of those mysteries. Few years ago he butchered a load of plays and then went the last half of the year without an error. Weird stuff. Now he started out like a guy who looked worried about his contract. He is what he is. He's a decent SS who hits better than any not named a healthy Tulo. Someone will pay him miliions of dollars to play SS because of he's good enough in the field and has a great bat-legs. You don't agree that's your rite. Just come here and admit you're wrong after he signs since you have no problem taking credit for sun coming up in the morning.

There was a decent article last week about how Ryan Howard's struggles since 2012 are going to tarnish his legacy. I wish he would just retire, but why would he give up $25 million a year? He had a very good run from 2005-2011 and what he is now should not take away from that. But he is just awful right now. He just can't catch up to fastballs anymore. It's not even slop he is striking out on. Pitchers are just throwing him fastballs that he used to crush.

Franco has been hot in the minors, he should be called up and should be getting regular playing time at 1B. Asche has shown that he can swing the bat early on so he should be playing at 3B. Darin Ruf should get playing time in the OF over Sizemore and occasionally at 1B.

The best thing for the Phillies future right now would be to run these 8 guys out there as often as possible

Ruiz C
Franco 1B
Utely 2B
Asche 3B
Galvis SS
Ruf LF
Herrera CF
Brown RF

You have to see if Ruf/Brown can be everyday players. We know what Revere is and while Francouer and Sizemore are nice comeback stories, they can't be playing everyday. I don't see Rupp as anything more than a spot starting catcher, so it would be best to get Tommy Joseph up to the big leagues and see what he can do, but catcher is a huge need.

Ryan Howard's legacy? I think that's pretty obvious. Cam into the league at a time where it was fairly easy to get away with PEDs, hit almost 60 HRs, had a few good years on the juice and when they started cracking down, his numbers fell in line. Add in the injury and extra weight and he's basically Mo Vaughn with a ring. Nothing wrong with that.

Ryan Howard's legacy? I think that's pretty obvious. Cam into the league at a time where it was fairly easy to get away with PEDs, hit almost 60 HRs, had a few good years on the juice and when they started cracking down, his numbers fell in line. Add in the injury and extra weight and he's basically Mo Vaughn with a ring. Nothing wrong with that.

By legacy, I mean his legacy with the Phillies. Not as an overall MLB great or anything like that.

That is a pretty fair comparison to Mo Vaughn, but Howard has more accolades and has spent his whole career with the same team. He will be on the Phillies Wall of Fame one day for sure - but I think it needs to be some time after he retires. Don't make the same mistake the Eagles did with McNabb and do it too early. Let people forget about the bad times and only remember the good ones.

Ruiz is 100 years old. What is the point of keeping him around? There's not even any young pitchers for him to work with.
Agreed, but they have no one else and I at least think that Ruiz can still be an effective player because he gets on base at decent clip still. Really, they should trade him and I would not be shocked if he is moved by the deadline. Same with Utley, but I don't see him ever leaving the Phillies because he is the face of the team and he is comfortable with the training staff and his process of getting ready to play. The only way he leaves the Phillies is to retire in my opinion.

By legacy, I mean his legacy with the Phillies. Not as an overall MLB great or anything like that.

That is a pretty fair comparison to Mo Vaughn, but Howard has more accolades and has spent his whole career with the same team. He will be on the Phillies Wall of Fame one day for sure - but I think it needs to be some time after he retires. Don't make the same mistake the Eagles did with McNabb and do it too early. Let people forget about the bad times and only remember the good ones.

Solid post from a CoP'er here.

Arak, Franco probably doesn't come up until June. Right around when a decision on Howard will probably be made. Bring him up now and they lose a FA year. When a team is winning and needs a player I don't care about the FA years stuff, but considering their current state it's probably best to be patient.

team average: .212
only the Brewers have scored fewer runs

On the flip side, the Mets have stock piled some decent arms, and few position guys as well. Kid Lagaras has probably won two games already with his glove. Just outstanding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT