ADVERTISEMENT

2016-2017 76ers

I watched the Sixers/Knicks game last night and the Lakers/Rockets game on Thurs night. That is some bad basketball...Is the problem that are too many teams and not enough franchise players acquired through drafting rather than the whole "Hinkie Plan".

Ideally if they cut some of the smaller markets it would make more sense (Sacramento, Memphis, OKC but they won't do it, Utah, Portland)

I don't think cutting teams will do much. Fundamentally, basketball is super sensitive to individual dominance. No matter how you slice it, there will be teams at the bottom who don't have the firepower and good coaching doesn't go far enough. The problem this year is one team isn't trying to acquire talent (76) and the other has a terrible coach who thinks a player's past performance justifies him being a literal vaccuum (LAL).

Outside of those two teams, the league is more balanced than usual. New Orleans was the 8th seed in the West last year, they have one of the most transcendent talents in the league, got some guys back from injury, and they still have the 4th worst overall record.

Sure you don't NEED low post scoring when your guards are f'n amazing all stars and uncanny shooters. Those fall off trees. Did the Spurs not need low post scoring when winning their titles? Would the Lakers have won without Pau Gasol? The Celtics without Garnett? This isn't going back to 1994. Every team isn't built the same. Sure having f'n Lebron or Jordan is nice but you can construct a team in different ways. Just because Golden St won a title by making a million 3s doesn't mean you need to make a million 3s to win a title. They also got a severely handicapped Cavs team and avoided the Spurs. Sixers need to find their "star". Maybe it's Simmons. But no reason Okafor can't be a key cog on a good team. He can be an important piece. No one is saying he's Duncan.

there are plenty of dumbasses who've compared him to duncan, bilas chief among them

garnett and gasol both play from the elbow, pass, shoot, defend, and rebound. okafor does none of these things. he's nothing like them

there are plenty of dumbasses who've compared him to duncan, bilas chief among them

garnett and gasol both play from the elbow, pass, shoot, defend, and rebound. okafor does none of these things. he's nothing like them

I'm sure Gasol and Garnett were amazing in all areas at 19 yrs old. I vaguely remember Garnett carrying the Wolves to 60 wins in his rookie year. Oh wait he averaged 10 pts and 4 Rebs and the team finished last in the division. I must've gotten him confused with someone else. Maybe I'm thinking of Pau. Actually no, he could barely even get on the court in the Spanish League his first 2 yrs. The fact that you're evaluating what Okafor can or can't do from the elbow at his age is lunacy when he's more advanced in some areas than those guys were at the same age. I know you're desperate to be right but it's way too early to be writing his career obituary. Stop it. Let him get around some actual NBA players, fill out his body and gain some damn experience first.

Reactions: RC26
Love the fact that Johnny still sticks up for his boy, Noel. It's okay to use the young and inexperienced tag for Noel because he's raw but not for Okafor. Really sound logic.

Fact is Noel & Oak have worst +\- on 76'ers & that's who the 20 sum thin wannabe gm's are betting the farm on.

Christmas present for all rubensteins still suffering.. Turn it OFF.

Sixers traded 2 2nd rd picks to bring back Ish Smith.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Tony Rotten released. Sixers are comfortable enough in the most ping pong balls situation so Colangelo wants to win a few games. Smith did help the team win a handful of games last season. This is so sad.

And okafor has to tell his dad to shut up during the lakers game because he was heckling Brett brown so much. And Kendall marshall's dad tweets about the sixers being racist because his son isn't getting enough minutes.

At this point in time, that's just piling on.

Sixers traded 2 2nd rd picks to bring back Ish Smith.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Remember when people used to say 2nd round picks were legit assets, and we were hearing about that stud future perennial all defensive team guy McDaniel that Hinkie drafted in the 2nd?

Nothing like moving a couple of those picks for a guy you let go last year, was cut in camp and no one wanted as recently as two months ago. What a clusterf---k.

Love the fact that Johnny still sticks up for his boy, Noel. It's okay to use the young and inexperienced tag for Noel because he's raw but not for Okafor. Really sound logic.

leave basketball alone, hoss

gdog said the 2015 draft would be garbage and had the lakers pushing for a playoff spot. the audacity of this dumb motherf''ker, advising patience

okafor is a fat rotten apple, lying very close to the tree

Remember when people used to say 2nd round picks were legit assets, and we were hearing about that stud future perennial all defensive team guy McDaniel that Hinkie drafted in the 2nd?

Nothing like moving a couple of those picks for a guy you let go last year, was cut in camp and no one wanted as recently as two months ago. What a clusterf---k.

ish smith trade was goatfoot colangelo

holmes & grant were both early 2nd rders. like em both better than bride of chukky

I'm sure Gasol and Garnett were amazing in all areas at 19 yrs old. I vaguely remember Garnett carrying the Wolves to 60 wins in his rookie year. Oh wait he averaged 10 pts and 4 Rebs and the team finished last in the division. I must've gotten him confused with someone else. Maybe I'm thinking of Pau. Actually no, he could barely even get on the court in the Spanish League his first 2 yrs. The fact that you're evaluating what Okafor can or can't do from the elbow at his age is lunacy when he's more advanced in some areas than those guys were at the same age. I know you're desperate to be right but it's way too early to be writing his career obituary. Stop it. Let him get around some actual NBA players, fill out his body and gain some damn experience first.

seriously what a f--king shithead

okafor will never be a complete player like the legends you cluelessly compared him to. not in one year, not in 100 years. he's the and 1 mixtape center: a loser whose obsolete game holds massive superficial appeal to the unwashed basketball masses (you, bilas)

f--k you

Sixers are still a laughingstock but not an absurd laughingstock just with the additions of a couple middling vets like Smith and Landry who actually can play the game a little bit. I think they're 3-3 with Smith and Landry. 1-30 without.

seriously what a f--king shithead

okafor will never be a complete player like the legends you cluelessly compared him to. not in one year, not in 100 years. he's the and 1 mixtape center: a loser whose obsolete game holds massive superficial appeal to the unwashed basketball masses (you, bilas)

f--k you

Calm down over there, keyboard gangsta. Take some lithium or something.

Reactions: NickleDimer

Holmes was drafted with the pick they received from the K.J. deal. While I don't like Canaan, I'd rather have Holmes and Canaan than McDaniels any day.

Also the Sixers made Ish Smith an offer but he turned it down and gambled on himself getting a larger multi-year deal.

Sixers are still a laughingstock but not an absurd laughingstock just with the additions of a couple middling vets like Smith and Landry who actually can play the game a little bit. I think they're 3-3 with Smith and Landry. 1-30 without.
Please explain this for me. I thought the process was to tank this year to get all of these picks. Now they have played .500 basketball in the last 6 games and what? Are you happy about this?

Not a lot of consistency from the CoP'ers here.

Reactions: The_Expansion_Crew
harris brought colangelo in, with or without pressure from silver/other owners. evidently d'antoni pushed the smith trade (though there is the roster crunch aspect to potentially having 6 of the first 40ish picks)

hinkie ain't flying the plane no more. he brought it on himself by taking okafor. noel has benefited from replacement level point guard play, clearly. okafor's game is too solipsistic to be affected

zach lavine is terrible. saric & payton were two best players on the board. hinkie has only missed once

stauskas blows. they got him for less than nothing

grant is indeed a good piece potentially. 2+ blocks per 36, can guard 3 positions

covington can't handle the ball and looks lost right now. and he was probably their best find

okafor sucks and colangelo is an evil man

Marcus Hayes does not speak for most CoPers. Please edit your comment.

I like Grant. But he's just a guy who can actually play. Like Dante Cunningham, but different type of player. If he was our 8th man I would think he was a "piece".

Covington is in the same boat as Grant. As your 2nd or 3rd man off the bench? Great. Starter - or first man off, not so much.

I don't disagree with that. You can get one in the draft every year. I like how Holmes has played but do I expect him to be any other than a bench player? No. I look at the Sixers and I think Noel, Okafor, Holmes, and maybe Ish Smith should be on this team in two years. And I'm not sold on Okafor and Nerlens being able to play together. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as this is Okafor's first year in the league. But if Embiid stays healthy, yeah I know that is asking a lot, then you need to package one of the bigs for a star wing or point guard. Someone posited that the Pacers need to trade Paul George sooner than later to begin their rebuilding process and that a trade to the Sixers for Okafor, Miami's pick, and Covington could get it done. I'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heart beat but think it would take more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT