ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Phillies Season

Nola with another good outing. He would be a 20 game winner with an offense like the Cubs. All he does is throw strikes

A combined 4 hits thru 8. Jesus, this division needs some hitters. It's Bryce, GianCarlo, Rupp and whole bunch of jawn
-fixed

Plus some Perfect karma for Phils. Paps get the loss and Werth hits into a game ending double play.

Phils are last in the league in runs scored, yet 12-10 despite 12 of first 22 vs Mets and Nats.

That starting pitching thing sure is important.

Phils struck out 18 Indians today. Jesus.

Phils have struck out 240 batters so far this year. Only the Red Sox and Mets are within 40 of that total. Mets 3rd with 200.

I picture you texting this to people after every single one of his hits since 2010.
Gotta respect the brightsiding.
Haha to be honest I just kind of stick with that here. In real life I texted my friends last night about the Phillies needing to call up Williams to play OF and Joseph to play 1B and who knows maybe they can play around .500 all year.

Bourjos hit 9th today behind Velasquez. Jesus. Bring back Francoeur.

Bourjos has been hitting 9th everyday for at least a week. It's been working. Mackanin says he wants him in front of Odubel so he can see some better pitches and utilize his speed more.

3 for 15 does qualify as a hot streak for Bourjos. He boosted his average to .177 in that stretch.

Well, at least he catches the ball in the OF. They would have lost last night if Dom Brown was out there.

Ten straight games with pitcher hitting 8th.

Very surprised how well the pitching is. The team is scrappy and winning with pitching and defense. Showing promise a year before contention. Reminds me of the 68 Mets.

He only manages suburban Catholic college hoops expectations. Pro teams come first.

God, you're so fukking played anymore. Please, get new material.

Anyway, the Phillies can't and won't keep this up, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Why can't the Phillies keep winning to some extent? They've done this playing 12 games vs the Mets and Nats. Haven't played a game yet vs the Marlins and Braves. There's plenty of mediocre teams in the NL.

I am pretty sure the bullpen will plateau but the offense will probably get better as the young guys make their way up. Eickhoff, Nola, VV feel like guys who will generally pitch well because they have good stuff. Hellickson is what he is. Really good or really poor. Morgan is throwing harder this year. We will see if he can be solid but if not they can put Appel or Eflin in there and get probably decent production. Looks like Thompson is gonna need some time. I think he's just in a funk.

Why can't the Phillies keep winning to some extent? They've done this playing 12 games vs the Mets and Nats. Haven't played a game yet vs the Marlins and Braves. There's plenty of mediocre teams in the NL.

I am pretty sure the bullpen will plateau but the offense will probably get better as the young guys make their way up. Eickhoff, Nola, VV feel like guys who will generally pitch well because they have good stuff. Hellickson is what he is. Really good or really poor. Morgan is throwing harder this year. We will see if he can be solid but if not they can put Appel or Eflin in there and get probably decent production. Looks like Thompson is gonna need some time. I think he's just in a funk.

It's possible because there are some awful teams in the NL. If they stay relatively healthy and continue to get the good starting pitching, then shattering that 64-win projection might not be a problem. I'm just not going to get to ahead of myself after 25 games. Encouraging? Yes. Sustainable? Probably not.

For the record, I predicted the over.
With all these young pitchers having a great start, the fear (or reality) is that some of it is because the league hasn't seen them yet. And once they get familiar with them, they will go the Vance Worley route. Sure, some of them will remain solid but I don't think it's realistic to think that they all will.

With all these young pitchers having a great start, the fear (or reality) is that some of it is because the league hasn't seen them yet. And once they get familiar with them, they will go the Vance Worley route. Sure, some of them will remain solid but I don't think it's realistic to think that they all will.
Velasquez is the only one there isn't a book on yet. Nola and Eickoff both pitched a good amount of innings in the big leagues.

I haven't watched much (or any) baseball this year (been splashing my keyboards due to being NFC), but based on this thread I was surprised to see the Phillies in 3rd place, thought they were doing better than at least the Mets. They should win 75 games this year with the pitching they have.

I haven't watched much (or any) baseball this year (been splashing my keyboards due to being NFC), but based on this thread I was surprised to see the Phillies in 3rd place, thought they were doing better than at least the Mets. They should win 75 games this year with the pitching they have.
Phillies offense is still terrible. They have a -16 run differential which should point to something like an 11-14 record. They have been getting some timely hits at least though, but for the record to continue like this they would need to be much better offensively. Also on the basepaths - they have to be the worst team in the league in tat regard. They run into at least 2 outs every game, a lot of times its the runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs too.

I think there could be some merit to these thoughts, but I think the three younger guys that started the season are all more talented than Worley and come with a better pedigree for the most part. Also, Nola/Eickoff/Morgan all pitched considerably last year, so we're getting into that seeing them for a second/third time stuff. Velasquez has been really good --- 31.1 IP, 1.44 ERA, 5 ER, 39 K's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT