ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Phillies Season

I haven't watched much (or any) baseball this year (been splashing my keyboards due to being NFC), but based on this thread I was surprised to see the Phillies in 3rd place, thought they were doing better than at least the Mets. They should win 75 games this year with the pitching they have.

The Mets are (15-8) and have the 3rd best record in the NL and 4th best record in baseball.

People are just encouraged that the Phils have played well. I'd be willing to bet that most would have had them at 10-15 after 25 games, not the reverse of that.

Phillies offense is still terrible. They have a -16 run differential which should point to something like an 11-14 record. They have been getting some timely hits at least though, but for the record to continue like this they would need to be much better offensively. Also on the basepaths - they have to be the worst team in the league in tat regard. They run into at least 2 outs every game, a lot of times its the runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs too.

I think run differential is a bit overrated. The Phillies have three losses here they were outscored 28-3.

The base-running has been shoddy, but some of it has been a bit unlucky, too. Twice they have hit balls to the 3B and it was impossible for the runner on 3B to get back. The ball was just in a perfect spot. Yesterday, they tried a squeeze to get that 3rd run across. That's more bad managing, IMO. CLV pitched-out on the first pitch. Don't do it on the first pitch. The opponent knows what type of team you have.

I think there could be some merit to these thoughts, but I think the three younger guys that started the season are all more talented than Worley and come with a better pedigree for the most part. Also, Nola/Eickoff/Morgan all pitched considerably last year, so we're getting into that seeing them for a second/third time stuff. Velasquez has been really good --- 31.1 IP, 1.44 ERA, 5 ER, 39 K's.
I agree. It's worth noting, though, that if there is a turd in the rotation, there hasn't been enough time yet for the polish to come off.

Like 3-4 teams in baseball have more wins thru 25 games. Phils over under was 64.5. Anyone with a brain would be greatly encourage by such a start. And it's not like the schedule has been soft.

I give the Phillies credit, they came into Nats Park and whipped us after we'd won 7 STRAIGHT at home. Their pitching will comeback to earth because these guys aren't that good. However, I tip my cap to them and to you guys for this thread. Solid effort all around.

ADP, let's play.....

What guys specifically aren't that good? Give me your scouting report.

I give the Phillies credit, they came into Nats Park and whipped us after we'd won 7 STRAIGHT at home. Their pitching will comeback to earth because these guys aren't that good. However, I tip my cap to them and to you guys for this thread. Solid effort all around.

Still waiting for the Paper Champions to win a playoff series.

Could this be the year? Here comes the run? Will the kids be running around the dining room table?

What do you mean they're "not that good"? Says who? Nola was the #7 overall pick in his draft. Velazquez and Eickhoff have nasty stuff. All 3 of these guys were in the bigs last year. It's not like they're just sneaking up on people because no one has seen them.

Mostly bad Hellz. He was available to a rebuilding team for $7m for one year at age 28 for a reason.

He gets moved at the deadline. Probably for next to nothing tho I suppose they may just keep him around all year to eat some innings.

Needs to relax and pound the strike zone more. Who cares if they hit it. Can't nibble and be as deliberate as he was tonight.

His starts have been....

Good
Ok
Bad
Bad
Very good
Bad

Its ironic the opening day starter is pretty clearly the weakest starter in the rotation.

Yeah by no means did they start Hellz on OD with the intent of him being the ace of the staff. He's not very good. He will be moved at the deadline when Appel or Eflin are ready to come up.

Needs to relax and pound the strike zone more. Who cares if they hit it. Can't nibble and be as deliberate as he was tonight.

His starts have been....

Good
Ok
Bad
Bad
Very good
Bad

IMG_5520_1.jpg

Nola is a damn stud. Watching this team (try to) hit is rough.

Howard with a WAR of 2.0 in my book so far this year.

Obviously, a shell of his former self and not good anymore, but definitely responsible from an offensive stand point for 4 wins.

April 9th: Phils 1, Mets 0
--Howard solo HR.

April 14th: Phils 3, Padres 0
--Howard solo HR, SF for first 2 runs.

April 29th: Phils 4, Indians 3
--Howard walk-off HR.

May 3rd: Phils 1, Cards 0
--Howard solo HR.

Obviously, a shell of his former self and not good anymore, but definitely responsible from an offensive stand point for 4 wins.

April 9th: Phils 1, Mets 0
--Howard solo HR.

April 14th: Phils 3, Padres 0
--Howard solo HR, SF for first 2 runs.

April 29th: Phils 4, Indians 3
--Howard walk-off HR.

May 3rd: Phils 1, Cards 0
--Howard solo HR.
Even better.

So, Howard has literally won them four games from an offensive standpoint and he has a negative WAR? Not debating his quality as player these days. Just trying to understand this WAR nonsense. I wish Foye was still around to explain it to me.

Call up Perkins and put him at a corner OF spot if you wanna hold back on Nick Williams' clock.

My local radio station carries the cards. They said Howard was the hero today.

Batters are 3-58, 29 K's on PA's ending with Aaron Nola's curveballs.

So, Howard has literally won them four games from an offensive standpoint and he has a negative WAR? Not debating his quality as player these days. Just trying to understand this WAR nonsense. I wish Foye was still around to explain it to me.

Agree. And I love that several of these wins have been shutouts, taking the "his defense at first base costs them more than he gives you" argument off the table for those. It's first base, on a team with pretty much no power bat aside from him and Franco. Kudos to the organization for not doing an "addition by subtraction" cut and getting nothing to get him out the door as so many were pining for, fueling the feel-good story now with the 4 additional wins he helped secure, not to mention all the confidence for the young arms that got those Ws, holds and saves.

If St. Louis were in the AL, have to think they'd take a flier on him as a DH. Just rakes there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT