ADVERTISEMENT

76"ers

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
The last time I checked Sam Hinkie wasn't around when the Sixers took Turner. It's pretty cool to see that when you people like you and Cwertz want to criticize someone you cite examples that had nothing to do with him. Hey, why hold back? Cite the Larry Hughes draft. Take it further back and cite the Moses for Jeff Ruland trade.
No one is talking about Hinkie, just the comedy of errors that has been everything that led to the current sixers roster. Don't be so defensive.

Ok, so when you post your silly pictures about my defense of Hinkie, no one is talking about Hinkie?

By the way, the only thing I have defended is that i don't mind the plan because nothing else has worked. Like you said, it's been a comedy of errors. We agree.

Furthermore, expressing that Noel has shown some promise and seems to be developing doesn't mean anything else other than just that.

Burrs,
Did you catch any Andre Miller the other night? Putting rookies on their as$ in the open court, posting up, general old man basketball wizardy. That man is a national treasure.

CA9bMRnUgAEu6jB.jpg

CWertz, I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. Would a rookie coming off a knee injury be playing 30+ minutes on a playoff team, no probably not, but what the hell does that prove? I don't even know what argument you are trying to make. Noelle has been a great defensive player and is still about 5-6 years away from his prime so he has plenty of time to gain weight an learn offense. I don't see him as a real back to the basket player but can see him being a very similar player to Serge Ibaka. He's almost exactly where was Ibaka was at this point in his career. Would you consider him a good player? Do you not think there can be similar development?

Originally posted by selmore1:
CWertz, I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. Would a rookie coming off a knee injury be playing 30+ minutes on a playoff team, no probably not, but what the hell does that prove? I don't even know what argument you are trying to make. Noelle has been a great defensive player and is still about 5-6 years away from his prime so he has plenty of time to gain weight an learn offense. I don't see him as a real back to the basket player but can see him being a very similar player to Serge Ibaka. He's almost exactly where was Ibaka was at this point in his career. Would you consider him a good player? Do you not think there can be similar development?
Ibaka was the #24 pick in his draft. Noel was going to be overall #1, if not for his injury so not really a good comparison. I would hope Noel turns out to be a better player than Ibaka.

What the hell does where one was supposed to be selected but wasn't and where another player actually was selected have anything to do with comparing the two? Is it because in your mind players are only allowed to live up to their draft slots and can't over perform? Or that all draft pick #'s produce the exact same value? I seriously can't comprehend the pick # argument. And you certainly hope that Noelle turns into a better player than a guy who has been a first team all defensive player 3 times by the time he was 24 years old and averaging in the mid teens on a title contender? Wow, you have some some really lofty expectations.

What the hell does where one was supposed to be selected but wasn't and where another player actually was selected have anything to do with comparing the two? Is it because in your mind players are only allowed to live up to their draft slots and can't over perform? Or that all draft pick #'s produce the exact same value? I seriously can't comprehend the pick # argument. And you certainly hope that Noelle turns into a better player than a guy who has been a first team all defensive player 3 times by the time he was 24 years old and averaging in the mid teens on a title contender? Wow, you have some some really lofty expectations.
Pedigree and expectations do matter. If Noel basically remains injury free for most of his career, I see nothing wrong with having high expectations for him because his upside coming out of draft was real high. If Noel in his rookie season is already at the level of being potential rookie of the year and first team all NBA Defensive team, what's wrong with expecting more than Ibaka? Was Ibaka ever considered for rookie of the year? I don't know how good Ibaka would be without Durant and Westbrook. He's clearly very good. We can hope Noel is better than Ibaka, that would bode well for the Sixers.

Cwertz is pretty clueless with this stuff. The more I read, the more I understand this.

So, if John Wall as the #1 pick doesn't have the HOF career that John Stockton had as the 16th pick in his draft, then is he to be viewed a failure?

It's plain to see right now. Noel would have to be Wilt Chamberlain right now for Cwertz to give him a little credit.

All that matters in the end is that the Sixers begin winning games and having playoff success at some point. If Noel is part of this and contributing, then that's all that matters. He's never going to be a 20-12 guy for a half-of-decade. Again, think something on the lines of Joakim Noah. A defensive force and complimentary offensive player. If they Sixers ever become good, then I suspect Noel will be no better than third option, maybe fourth. Stop talking about scoring. There is more to the game than just scoring. He has the potential to be a major, major defensive contributor for a winning team. There is a ton a value in that.

Cwertz is pretty clueless with this stuff. The more I read, the more I understand this.

So, if John Wall as the #1 pick doesn't have the HOF career that John Stockton had as the 16th pick in his draft, then is he to be viewed a failure?

It's plain to see right now. Noel would have to be Wilt Chamberlain right now for Cwertz to give him a little credit.
Wall is already a very good player. He plays a position where there are a lot of all star level players. Very good centers on the other hand are not plentiful in the current NBA, which is why I don't get all excited when Noel gets dominated by stiffs. I have hopes for Noel and expectations. You seem to be taking the side that whatever you get from Noel is gravy type attitude. Almost as if you are shocked that he can do anything on the court which makes no sense since he has such a high pedigree.

Let's be fair here, Noel was the 6th pick in what is considered one of if not the worst draft in 30 years.

Originally posted by adp98:
Let's be fair here, Noel was the 6th pick in what is considered one of if not the worst draft in 30 years.
Also, he played less than a half of a college season. That was his experience coming into the NBA. This is getting pretty ridiculous. Given everything, he is playing extremely well and better than I would have anticipated given his recovery from a very bad knee injury and his limited experience to this point.

Just the same as Noel, the 76ers are planning Embid's arrival for the summer. I for one am really looking forward to watching him play to go along with Noel and the picks this off season. Hinke will certainly have a lot of options with whatever he decides to do.

It appears certain now that the 76ers will finish either 2nd or 3rd worst record. Miami and OK. City's picks are becoming a reality. The 76ers will almost certainly have three first round picks and with a lot of luck (Lakers) maybe four. If no Lakers pick this year, it will be there next season or another bargaining chip for Hinke.

Actually, I'm realistic. Offensively, in time what they get from him might be gravy. We'll see. But nothing in his "pedigree" suggests that he was this highly skilled offensive player. He was considered as the top pick in a terrible draft prior to his injury. But that had nothing to do with his offense. He had everything to do with his defense and athleticism for that position. What I'm telling you right now is that he is already showing signs of being an elite defensive player. You really can't dispute the numbers. Like the writer in the article i posted above said, they're historic. You keep waiting to see 8 years in the league version of Hakeem Olajuwan. Reality check, brother. You're really not being fair here.

If Noel becomes a version of Tyson Chandler you're happy. Seems like a reasonable type player. Great defensively, limited on offense but a key cog in a very good team. 6'11 guys who can board and play D at that level are very useful. Especially given the use of spacing and teams playing small ball. Noel will never hurt you defensively. If Embiid becomes a scoring threat look out. You've got your 4-5 for the next ten years. Baby steps. Obviously they still need a bunch of shooters and other things but by any reasonable measure Noel's season has been a success.

Speaking of Tyson Chandler his progression as a valued player wasn't exactly a speedy one. His fourth year in the league he avg'd 8.0 ppg, 9.7 rpg. the following year it dipped to 5.3 ppg, 9.0 rpg. In 14 seasons he's avg's as much as 1.8 bpg twice and has never broken 1.0 spg.

9 times out of 10 you have to be patient with bigs.

Not sure it ws answered when i asked before

1) Better personnel situation right now, Celtics or Sixers?
2) Quicker to contend in the East - Celtics are Sixers?
3) Further along as of 3/26/15 - Celtics or Sixers?

I would argue that due to the stability of the Celtics you have to believe they'll figure it out much sooner. Historically that has been the case. No one in their right mind could argue that Sam Hinkie has a better track record of success than Danny Ainge. Will that hold true? Who knows but if you're betting on track record and recent moves by the GM then Ainge wins in a landslide.

I also don't project Noelle as a Center. Can't ever imagine him being Tyson Chandler because I do think he'll struggle to put on weight. Think he'll be capable of defending them later in career but is more of the weakside shot blocking PF type. Fits perfectly alongside Embiid based on the skill sets I've seen. If the long term plan is those 2 I would expect Noelle to extend out his range every year and raise his %'s on jump shots. I really think Ibaka is a perfect comparison and about what you'd hope for from the 6th pick.

Btw, amazing analysis by Cwertz, he wouldn't know if Ibaka would be as good if he wasn't playing with 2 of the 5 best players in the world. Really, you think so?

I also don't project Noelle as a Center. Can't ever imagine him being Tyson Chandler because I do think he'll struggle to put on weight. Think he'll be capable of defending them later in career but is more of the weakside shot blocking PF type. Fits perfectly alongside Embiid based on the skill sets I've seen. If the long term plan is those 2 I would expect Noelle to extend out his range every year and raise his %'s on jump shots. I really think Ibaka is a perfect comparison and about what you'd hope for from the 6th pick.

Btw, amazing analysis by Cwertz, he wouldn't know if Ibaka would be as good if he wasn't playing with 2 of the 5 best players in the world. Really, you think so?
Yeah, if you are going to rip into someone, at least attempt to spell the name of the player correctly that we are speaking about.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

1) Sixers
2) Sixers
3) Celtics

Both organizations are a disaster right now but the Sixers have the more potential upside, only because the Celtics have little upside right now.

Speaking of Tyson Chandler his progression as a valued player wasn't exactly a speedy one. His fourth year in the league he avg'd 8.0 ppg, 9.7 rpg. the following year it dipped to 5.3 ppg, 9.0 rpg. In 14 seasons he's avg's as much as 1.8 bpg twice and has never broken 1.0 spg.

shawn-bradley.jpg

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

1. Celtics, they have better players.
2. Unknown
3. Celtics, they are close to playoff spot. They have more serviceable vets like Turner and Thomas.

Both teams have a lot of picks and space. I think Stevens is a gem. I mean really a good coach.

With all of that, there is one factor that could really favor the Sixers -- Joel Embiid.

Had a gf named Noelle, just so used to saying that. Whoops. And not really sure I was bashing the player, I think it's ok to call a player by the incorrect name if you're supporting him. Need ND to judge.

Gr8 point. No sense in drafting project big men that are 18 years old because their rookie contract will be up and you'll still have no clue what you have.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:

Gr8 point. No sense in drafting project big men that are 18 years old because their rookie contract will be up and you'll still have no clue what you have.
Not always the case, but possible in some.

Had a gf named Noelle, just so used to saying that. Whoops. And not really sure I was bashing the player, I think it's ok to call a player by the incorrect name if you're supporting him. Need ND to judge.
I am not certain how to spell the names of some of my favorite teams' all-time greats:
Paul Arazin? Arizin?
Ed Pickney? Pinckney?
Allen Ray? Allan Ray?
Are there two L's in Ricky Botallico?

You should not be expected to know the spelling conventions of every ethnicity in the world. Criticizing that is a weak INET troll move. Beneath someone who has covered high school sports in the CoP for TWO DECADES and can identify a future all-american just on scent alone.

I am not certain how to spell the names of some of my favorite teams' all-time greats:
Paul Arazin? Arizin?
Ed Pickney? Pinckney?
Allen Ray? Allan Ray?
Are there two L's in Ricky Botallico?

You should not be expected to know the spelling conventions of every ethnicity in the world. Criticizing that is a weak INET troll move. Beneath someone who has covered high school sports in the CoP for TWO DECADES and can identify a future all-american just on scent alone.
It wasn't me criticizing, D-Head.

Mea gulpa. I get my insufferable know-it-alls confused sometimes.
Gulpa accepted. Yea, I hear you. I have the same problem with you and a couple of others.

Mea gulpa. I get my insufferable know-it-alls confused sometimes.
Gulpa accepted. Yea, I hear you. I have the same problem with the same small group.
fixed

Nerlens certainly brought his offensive game tonight against the Clippers. His D did not have an impact but the Clippers have been on fire lately. DeAndre Jordan is a beast but a hack from the foul line.

This post was edited on 3/27 9:17 PM by CWertz

Gonna be very close between OKC and the Wizards for the 18-19 spots. OKC sitting a .5 game ahead.

Originally posted by gldendog:
Gonna be very close between OKC and the Wizards for the 18-19 spots. OKC sitting a .5 game ahead.
Yep. Tied now after OKC's loss in Utah.

Big week upon us now. WAS hosts HOU, Sixers, and Knicks. Travel to Memphis this Sat. OKC on a back-to-back at PHO tonight. Hosts DAL and then travel to Memphis I think on FRI.

After this week OKC finishes with 4 of 6 at home, while WAS has 4 of 5 on road to end season.

Also, NO only 2 games back of OKC for 8th in West and have a manageable week with Minn at home, away games with LAL & SAC, and then at Port.

As long as NO continues to put on the pressure, then OKC should try to win. Meanwhile, it might be more likely that WAS and even TOR (OKC 2 back of them) are mostly locked into 4th & 5th seeds, so they may rest guys over final week or so.

The thing is that OKC just isn't that good without KD and Ibake. Westbrook can only do so much.

Originally posted by gldendog:
Yep. Tied now after OKC's loss in Utah.

Big week upon us now. WAS hosts HOU, Sixers, and Knicks. Travel to Memphis this Sat. OKC on a back-to-back at PHO tonight. Hosts DAL and then travel to Memphis I think on FRI.

After this week OKC finishes with 4 of 6 at home, while WAS has 4 of 5 on road to end season.

Also, NO only 2 games back of OKC for 8th in West and have a manageable week with Minn at home, away games with LAL & SAC, and then at Port.

As long as NO continues to put on the pressure, then OKC should try to win. Meanwhile, it might be more likely that WAS and even TOR (OKC 2 back of them) are mostly locked into 4th & 5th seeds, so they may rest guys over final week or so.

The thing is that OKC just isn't that good without KD and Ibake. Westbrook can only do so much.
Washington loses so Ok City can get a game up with a win tonight. I still like their chances to finish #19 in spite of their injuries.

Originally posted by adp98:
I would argue that due to the stability of the Celtics you have to believe they'll figure it out much sooner. Historically that has been the case. No one in their right mind could argue that Sam Hinkie has a better track record of success than Danny Ainge. Will that hold true? Who knows but if you're betting on track record and recent moves by the GM then Ainge wins in a landslide.
laugh.r191677.gif

hinkie had it figured out before he took the f--king job

noel is better than anybody the celtics have, and embiid is probably better than him

what has ainge done recently? gotten isaiah thomas? waste of f--king time

Decent chance the Sixers have 2 picks in the 15-19 range. OKC now a game ahead of Wash with the tiebreaker, so 2 games up.

With the absolute need for guards I wonder if they look in Jerian Grant's direction with 1 of those picks, or perhaps Delon Wright or Kris Dunn.

The more I see of Montrezl Harrell the less I like him at the next level. Bobby Portis is probably the type of guy Hinkie would target mid first but this teams needs f*cking guards. I guess it depends what way they go with the first pick of course. If you go Mudiay or Russell you look at a guy like Portis in the mid first. If you go Okafor-Towns, you look at the guards.

If it were me I'd try to package those 2 mid 1st and try to get into the later stages of the top 10 and go for Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson instead.

Devin Booker, Trey Lyles, Kelly Oubre, Myles Turner, a whole lot of those frosh types could also be floating around in that mid-first area.

Gdog, I don't think they use head-to-head season series to determine draft position. I'm pretty sure I read that they flip a coin. Yesterday's results were good, though. OKC just needs to survive this week and they should have the more favorable schedule beginning next week in terms of home/away.

Justin Winslow is moving up the list. I think he's passed Johnson. He could bet well go 5-10 now.

Huge game between the Sixers/Lakers tonight. I expect the Sixers to win, but I guess you never know. Lakers are definitely tanking harder. Not as hard as the Knicks & T'Wolves, but harder.

I'd prefer the sixers to not pass the Lakers and at least stay in that third spot. That way it would be hard to drop out of the top 4-5.

Dream scenario is the Sixers winning the lottery for top pick. Two teams below the Lakers getting the 2nd/3rd pots. Therefore, the Sixers also get LA's pick, probably 6th (Probably won't happen). Miami misses playoffs (Probably won't happen) and they get somewhere between 11-13. And OKC landing in the 19th spot (50/50).

Realistic Burrs would be content with a Top 4 Sixers pick, Miami's pick at 15/16, and OKC's pick at 19/20. I can wait for LA's picks.

I really want the OKC pick to convey this year because I don't think it will ever better. It's protected 1-15 next year, maybe the year after, too. but then after that it turns into two 2nd RD picks. OKC fully jealthy next year probably sits between 23-27.

There is a silver lining with the MIA pick if it doesn't convey this year or next in that it's not protected in 2017. But whose to say MIA won't somehow figure out to be a top 1/3 team in the league by then.

Solid chance the Lakers pick will convey next year. Probably in the 7-`14 range, best guess.

Anyone see Embiid doing 1-on-1 drills with Curtis Sumpter yesterday?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT