ADVERTISEMENT

for dmil, kmil, gbrac and the libs, Hillary loses the votes again

well look at that i agree with you about something

people think they have to win all the time. just merge as soon as you can after seeing what's going on and we'll all f--king get through faster

Happens everywhere. The only solution to this problem is for people to stop letting those people in the lane that they were told a mile ago (then 3/4 mile ago, then 1/2 mile ago, etc.) that the lane was closed in on an alternating basis once the lane is actually closed off. But people are too non-confrontational or dumb for that.

Until then, if you're in a rush, best to stay in the closed lane. Too many times to count I've done the right thing only to hate myself as everyone goes by at 4x speed in the closed lane.

A "small slice" is a relative term. If you want to compare it to defense/Medicare/SS, then sure.

But the reality is that we are spending a ton of money on programs that are minimally effective at best and a complete disaster at worst. And the party of Obama and Hillary thinks that is a good idea to continue to pump billions of dollars into this black hole. Keeping people dependent on these programs is what helps them to stay in power, so I can understand their reasoning I suppose.

We have spent about as much on Medicare Part D as we have on food stamps the last 10 years. Let's not act like these sort of things are a partisan thing. That's the biggest entitlement expansion since 1965. Yes, certainly some of what goes to things like food stamps is lost to waste and abuse - but when you have a 3T budget and you dedicate 75B to the poorest among us, is that really our big problem? Do you really have an issue with it? Blowing .75 of every $300 we spend? Sometimes it's productive to understand that not all of us were born half way intelligent to white people and given a fair amount to start with in a country that favors that demo more than any other.

It's a fraction of the issue. Literally. Nothing to get wrapped up in really - such a tiny %. Like arguing over 18% and 20% on your check at Manillas.

Reactions: catFANatic80
Happens everywhere. The only solution to this problem is for people to stop letting those people in the lane that they were told a mile ago (then 3/4 mile ago, then 1/2 mile ago, etc.) that the lane was closed in on an alternating basis once the lane is actually closed off. But people are too non-confrontational or dumb for that.

Until then, if you're in a rush, best to stay in the closed lane. Too many times to count I've done the right thing only to hate myself as everyone goes by at 4x speed in the closed lane.

i've straddled the lane line and blocked people before, once or twice

i really wouldn't be surprised if the same situation was never a problem in the scandinavian countries

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
We have spent about as much on Medicare Part D as we have on food stamps the last 10 years. Let's not act like these sort of things are a partisan thing. That's the biggest entitlement expansion since 1965. Yes, certainly some of what goes to things like food stamps is lost to waste and abuse - but when you have a 3T budget and you dedicate 75B to the poorest among us, is that really our big problem? Do you really have an issue with it? Blowing .75 of every $300 we spend? Sometimes it's productive to understand that not all of us were born half way intelligent to white people and given a fair amount to start with in a country that favors that demo more than any other.

It's a fraction of the issue. Literally. Nothing to get wrapped up in really - such a tiny %. Like arguing over 18% and 20% on your check at Manillas.

Thanks for the lecture. I have no issue with safety nets. I do have an issue with spending billions and billions of dollars on programs that often times are a complete waste and do not lift people out of poverty.

Take a ride through North Philly and tell me that these programs are effective.

Are you going to continue to argue that Medicaid is a tiny fraction, mere pennies, of our overall budget?

State governments would be really surprised to learn that.

It's official. Soda tax was passed.

gr8 job, Philly. Thank God I don't live there but I have family members who do. I hope they boycott buying soda or purchase it in the suburbs or in NJ out of principle if nothing else.

I'd love to see a follow up report in 5 years to determine if that $96 million made a difference "for the children." Anyone want to wager on what will be taxed next?

Tax and spend, tax and spend. And it's only going to get worse.

EDIT: Now they are saying that $300 million is expected to be raised from this tax. Mere pennies according to A99 but that's a lot of coin. Aside from the Mayor being able to claim that he is "saving the children" by providing "free" glorified babysitting services, will there be any measurable benefit?

Last edited:
Thanks for the lecture. I have no issue with safety nets. I do have an issue with spending billions and billions of dollars on programs that often times are a complete waste and do not lift people out of poverty.

Take a ride through North Philly and tell me that these programs are effective.

Are you going to continue to argue that Medicaid is a tiny fraction, mere pennies, of our overall budget?

State governments would be really surprised to learn that.

North Philly is better now than it once was. So are the bronx, harlem etc. It's fair to argue the causes, but it's also hard to argue not letting them dissolves into Escape from New York levels wasn't a horrible idea. Most of what you describe are basically safety nets. Medicaid is means tested. It's expensive - but I would wonder what your healthcare might cost without it - with hospitals doctors and everyone in between charging the able bodied to compensate for those how can pay zero. Already happens in a big way WITH the tax payer chipping in. And I'm self employed - if you are not its' costing me twice as much as it is you.

i've straddled the lane line and blocked people before, once or twice

i really wouldn't be surprised if the same situation was never a problem in the scandinavian countries

They shouldn't allow the third lane on the NE extension until the construction is totally completed. It actually defeats the purpose of the third lane when the traffic gets worse when the third lane ends.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Just gaging your stance here - can i assume you are also against such a bloated defense budget? Where billions upon billion are wasted every year on waste, redundancy and outdated equipment bought only because it falls in some connected congressman's district and he doesn't have the heart to tell his constituents that tanks are no longer needed?

North Philly is better now than it once was.

Do you have any data to support this assertion?

And even if that is true, it isn't saying very much. Aside from Temple expanding its campus to the surrounding neighborhoods, North Philly is still a disaster.

Just gaging your stance here - can i assume you are also against such a bloated defense budget? Where billions upon billion are wasted every year on waste, redundancy and outdated equipment bought only because it falls in some connected congressman's district and he doesn't have the heart to tell his constituents that tanks are no longer needed?

I would need to see specific examples, but sure.

I am sure you will find plenty so don't even bother.

If you are suggesting that I am arguing that government waste exists only in programs designed to help the poor, you are mistaken.

What I am arguing is that the "nanny state" is a huge overreach and is frankly a crock of shit designed to keep liberal Democrats in power. Taxing and spending everyone else's money for programs that aren't proven to be effective is an idiotic strategy. But again I understand their motivation.

Last edited:
EDIT: Now they are saying that $300 million is expected to be raised from this tax. Mere pennies according to A99 but that's a lot of coin. Aside from the Mayor being able to claim that he is "saving the children" by providing "free" glorified babysitting services, will there be any measurable benefit?

yeah schmuck pre-k education is "glorified babysitting". because women do it

you know a lot about the human brain and how it develops

if people stop drinking poison-ass soda because of this tax, then everybody but coca-cola wins

"North Philly is better than it was" is classic. Yeah, there are pockets adjacent to certain gentrifying areas that are better. But I'd bet the heart of it is worse than it was 10 years ago, not that I'd want to look to check Made a couple wrong turns and found myself near those areas, once in the middle of the day, once at night. Horrifying both times.

Pretty sure property values and incomes for residents, at least, outside of the improving parts adjacent to hipster areas would support that it's no better for most.

yeah schmuck pre-k education is "glorified babysitting". because women do it

you know a lot about the human brain and how it develops

if people stop drinking poison-ass soda because of this tax, then everybody but coca-cola wins

It has nothing to do about women doing it.

The school system is a disaster so lets add yet another program to the existing system that sucks balls.

Yeah, that'll work. Idiotic.

And if we stop drinking "poison ass soda" then Mayor McDrunk won't be able to save the children. But the "schmuck" who runs the local bodega will take a nice hit to his bottom line. Everybody wins. Let's tax donuts and Big Macs next.

Our school district doesn't have a pre-K program, so we sent Baby Burrs #1 to a nearby Christian Nursery School the last 2 years. It was an expense (Not free), but I really liked their program and feel BB#1 is better off entering kindergarten next year. So, if the city can develop these types of programs for their kids, then why can't that be a good thing? Also, some of the added revenue will go to fixing/improving libraries, parks, rec centers. Creating community schools, and I also heard something about helping the homeless. All of these sound like worthwhile ideas, so why can't it work and be beneficial to citizens and the city?

Our school district doesn't have a pre-K program, so we sent Baby Burrs #1 to a nearby Christian Nursery School the last 2 years. It was an expense (Not free), but I really liked their program and feel BB#1 is better off entering kindergarten next year. So, if the city can develop these types of programs for their kids, then why can't that be a good thing? Also, some of the added revenue will go to fixing/improving libraries, parks, rec centers. Creating community schools, and I also heard something about helping the homeless. All of these sound like worthwhile ideas, so why can't it work and be beneficial to citizens and the city?

That would be great if the city actually did anything right.

Not to mention if you can afford to pay for pre-K yourself, then you should pay for it. Why collect a tax that disproportionately impacts the poor and make them pay the bill?

Answer: So Jim Kenney can take credit for saving the children. He is the quintessential political hack.

Why can't the city fix/improve libraries, parks, and rec centers with the revenue that they already collect? Why is yet another tax needed to support these goals?

If you can convince me that the city (or most any government) spends its money wisely then I can see where you are coming from.

How about cutting out some of the bullshit and use the savings to pay for these things? Unless you are suggesting that this can't be done?

Reactions: cleanwave
"North Philly is better than it was" is classic. Yeah, there are pockets adjacent to certain gentrifying areas that are better. But I'd bet the heart of it is worse than it was 10 years ago, not that I'd want to look to check Made a couple wrong turns and found myself near those areas, once in the middle of the day, once at night. Horrifying both times.

Pretty sure property values and incomes for residents, at least, outside of the improving parts adjacent to hipster areas would support that it's no better for most.

Yes, there are pockets of improvement, the opposite of which is expansion of decay. Just about every category of crime is down over the last 10 years as well. Rape, murder, assault, burglary, theft, stolen cars - all trending down. Slowly, but trending down. It's not a great neighborhood. No one said that. But it's not as bad. Numbers bear this out pretty much. So I am trying to think of what that is like without some people there getting some assistance. Think it's bad now?

The school system is a disaster so lets add yet another program to the existing system that sucks balls.

yeah the schools are so bad that kids are better off with less of it

parents should probably encourage their children to skip 2 or 3x a week starting in elementary school

i'm impressed with the seriousness of your engagement with these issues

christ your tjc-stalking is actually better than the rest of your nonsense

yeah the schools are so bad that kids are better off with less of it

parents should probably encourage their children to skip 2 or 3x a week starting in elementary school

i'm impressed with the seriousness of your engagement with these issues

christ your tjc-stalking is actually better than the rest of your nonsense

yeah let's take something that sucks, and add more to it, and call that a solution

christ you may be a bigger idiot than tjc. Not easy to pull that off. Well done

The Philly soda tax is getting voted on today. This is not currently a federal issue but since we started talking about taxes, I figured I would bring it up. It was being sold as additional tax money for the schools but recently, it has been said, it will go to the general fund. I am not an advocate of this soda tax, anyone else with opinions, please share.
This should have been its own thread.

yeah let's take something that sucks, and add more to it, and call that a solution

the logical--for lack of a better word--extension of your argument here is that the schools aren't good enough, so we should just get rid of them entirely

profound stuff

tjc is an attention-seeking weirdo, but he's like leonardo da vinci compared to you. a much more interesting person

the logical--for lack of a better word--extension of your argument here is that the schools aren't good enough, so we should just get rid of them entirely

profound stuff

tjc is an attention-seeking weirdo, but he's like leonardo da vinci compared to you. a much more interesting person

Another straw man argument. We should improve the existing school system, not get rid of it, and certainly not add to it.

If you consider a closeted gay attention seeking pathological liar to be more interesting than I am, then I will take that as a compliment. In any case, we are both more interesting than a pseudo intellectual who pretends to be an angry black man on an Internet newsgroup

We about done here dawg?

can we please save this thread for what it was intended.. indictment countdown, sanders campaign updates and posting links to articles that paint implausible scenarios that result in victory for trumo.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Wait. So, a GOP-led Benghazi report shows no wrongdoing by Hillart? And after the fact, all we have is the wasting of 7 million dollars of taxpayers' money? Weren't we told that this would end differently. My memory on this topic is a bit foggy.

Wait. So, a GOP-led Benghazi report shows no wrongdoing by Hillart? And after the fact, all we have is the wasting of 7 million dollars of taxpayers' money? Weren't we told that this would end differently. My memory on this topic is a bit foggy.

I actually believe you have your impending Hillart indictments mixed up. I believe it's emailgate ( using an unsecured server to communicate state secrets ) that had the original 'indictment is coming soon' hope. Of course there are so many so I might have it wrong as well. All I know is, she's going to get indicted for SOMETHING soon... Or so I hear.

I actually believe you have your impending Hillart indictments mixed up. I believe it's emailgate ( using an unsecured server to communicate state secrets ) that had the original 'indictment is coming soon' hope. Of course there are so many so I might have it wrong as well. All I know is, she's going to get indicted for SOMETHING soon... Or so I hear.

Ok. I'll begin popping the popcorn. You're right. Hard to keep up with this stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT