ADVERTISEMENT

Great article on tankadelphia 76ers

DMIL, who is the last 5 man drafted 1 overall that had a great career? I cannot think of one in the past ten years.

Okafor is the clear #1 right now. No one is knocking him at all. I said simply that Towns is a much better defender and has a chance to be better three years down the road. Of course, Okafor is much more skilled offensively right now.

If you pick after #3, it may not be possible to get Russell. Hinke has a lot of ammo to move up should he so choose. If not, Johnson is a very good consolation prize.

With the way the 76ers are defending right now, they most likely will finish ahead of the Wolves, Knicks and Lakers. So, #4 pick or #5,#6 is very possible. Again, it will be the luck of the ping pong balls. I want Russell but would gladly take Johnson.
This post was edited on 2/18 9:43 AM by matty17

And I dont think that Okafor is a 5, I think he's more of a 4 but with the NBA playing more small ball will go 5. Also, I think it would be rather easy for him to develop a mid range jumper at the next level. At least a passable one. The guy has such touch and there have been much worse players who learned to shoot.

Sorry for the triple post, but I"m looking at the top 25 prospects and there seem to be wayyyyy too many freshmen. How are there no good sophomores? Does everyone just leave early now, it didnt seem that bad? I can't imagine all these guys will actually be any good. I know why teams always draft freshmen but it seems like there's been numerous examples of really good college guys that are juniors or seniors from smaller schools that have been falling in drafts and been awesome.

Selmore, not saying you're wrong, but can we get some examples of juniors/seniors from smaller schools, who fell in the draft, and are awesome?

There is a lot to like about Okafor. Easily the most ready of all these kids. He'll probably be a really good pro. Just not sure he'll be the best. He seems to play a little below the rim for my liking. Easier to do in the college game with no opposition. He is polished, though. Seems like a really good kid, as well.

We only get drips and drabs of Towns because of Kentucky's platoon system. Heck, look at last night. The POY (D. Harrison) and their top pick this year (Towns) combined for just 5 points, but they won on the road by 18. If you project Towns' numbers over 30-32 minutes per game, then they are a lot more obvious. I checked last week and it was something like 14-12-4.

Obviously, as a sixers' fan I'd take.want the first pick because that will open up endless possibilities on what they could do with the pick, but I'm not in the need of the top pick because I believe there are other good options out there. This draft is not as bad as some believed it was going to be at the beginning of the year. There are intriguing kids out there and if the sixers end up with MIA's pick in the 11-15 range, then I think they'll be able to fetch something decent.

Burrs - i generally like reading what you say but you have this sense that you are always right. so when you disagree with someone you say "they are clueless". i never insult anyone or attack them after a post. just say you disagree with my opinion. its a better way to live.

also in five year when the sixers are still terrible. Embiid is retired from injuries. Noel and MCW have been traded and they are 10-72 we will see who is clueless.

and for the record i said I dont think i have seen a COLLEGE player shoot with such ease AND be able to finish with both hands in sometime.

Burrs: the Miami pick would be 16 today. They won't get much there. Selmore, the NBA has changed, no way okafor's primary spot is a 4. Those guys are now stretch shooters.

Demarcus Cousins seems to be doing ok. And I dont think anyone would say he's as skilled at Okafor is right now.

DMIL, cousins is a stud. Are you suggesting he's not as skilled today as Okafor? Really? Stick to hockey.

Novaball, you may not be clueless, but some of your statements are. Maybe, I'm wrong, but you sound like the prototypical, middle-aged. white guy who hates the NBA. How many NBA games do you watch in a week's time? How often do you follow the sport in terms of reading articles, watching highlights, etc. You make a lot of blanket statements about it. And I'm not saying you have to like it. But nothing irks me more than people who don't like something, yet think they have all the answers about it. It's close-minded.

As far that one post. Here are some things I disagree with....

1. They are not tanking to only pile up 2nd Rd picks. Ridiculous, clueless statement. They have made four 1st Rd draft picks in the last 2 years. They have two more coming this year (Maybe, based on MIA's finish).

2. Four of his draft picks are playing: MCW, Noel, McDaniels, and Grant. Another is playing very well in the best European league as a 20-year old. Already recognized twice in that league. One other is rehabbing. I remember last year when all of the naysayers were saying that Noel wouldn't stay healthy. Well, he's doing good so far. The Sixers have three other guys playing overseas. It's a good strategy. you don't have to pay them now, so it's like free development. Maybe, one of the lesser known players pans out well.

3. Embiid had ONE foot injury (Not injuries). Ok, it happens, so let's write him off now.

4. Yea, if they draft Okafor and he is healthy, then they'll sit him, too. Who knows where they'll pick and who they'll select. I'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But I'm sorry if I don't value the pessimism of a guy who doesn't like the Sixers or the NBA. Why even waste your time posting about it?

5. Embiid is not fat and that report has been refuted. All it does is give the doubters more amo.

I'll say it again. There will come a time when we'll all be able to sit back and judge this guys tenure. Now, is not the time. there are no guarantees. I watch the Sixers a lot and I see progress and hope. People like you don;t really care about it that much to watch, but boy you're full of opinions about it. I just don't get that.

ADP, MIA is currently 8th in the east. Yea, tied with CHAR, but slated below them now. Anyway, I think the best MIA can do is 8th, which would be the 15th pick. Fourteen teams don't make the playoffs. MIA will hold no worse than the 15th pick. I'm not even sure they can hang onto that with Wade in and out of the line-up. They are only 2 games out of the 10th pick, with DET, BOS, IND, and BKL all on their heels. In a perfect world they finish with 11th worst record and stay there after lottery. Not impossible.

Also, I totally disagree. You can find a player in the 14-16 range. Totally disagree with that. There are some guys outside the top 7-8 players that intrigue me. Don't dismiss it as garbage.

Well, you initially said EVER in terms of Hilliard. And I know you meant college and that is still a stretch. Whether it is EVER (Like you said) or "in sometime" like you're adjusting now.

Wait, Okafor is more skilled today than Cousins is? Wooooo, let's bring that back some. Cousins can basically do it all. Maybe, at a similar time you can say that Okafor is as skilled, maybe more skilled than Cousins was at Kentucky. Also, Cousins is more athletic and can do more with the ball further away from the basket.

Burrs, garbage is your word not mine. I never said that. Let's keep it intellectually honest. History of the NBA draft shows you are not likely to get much drafting there. Heck, that's half the reason they are tanking in the first place. The hope is a rotation guy. Which for the Sixers should not be hard. You're not getting much there. Especially in this draft as it's not deep. Per Chad Ford yesterday, Miami with the 16th pick right now. They aren't tanking and could even improve. For arguments sake we'll call it 15-17 range or even 14-16. It's not likely 11-15 as you stated.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
Wait, Okafor is more skilled today than Cousins is? Wooooo, let's bring that back some. Cousins can basically do it all. Maybe, at a similar time you can say that Okafor is as skilled, maybe more skilled than Cousins was at Kentucky. Also, Cousins is more athletic and can do more with the ball further away from the basket.
Exactly, demonstrates a clear lack of hoops knowledge. Guy is an NBA AS who averages 23, 12 amd 4 assists. Very little he cannot do on a court. The question was always between his ears. He is also a gazelle at 7 feet and 270.

Originally posted by adp98:
DMIL, cousins is a stud. Are you suggesting he's not as skilled today as Okafor? Really? Stick to hockey.
Son, if Demarcus Cousins was as skilled as Okafor is right now, at 19, then I am pretty sure the Sixers do not take Evan Turner over him. Nor do 2 other teams pass him up. (No need to question the John wall pick) You asked specifically who has been taken at the 5 in the last ten years who has done something. Then you call a guy taken 4 years ago, who was not rated as high as Okafor is now as a stud.

Only you can do this kind of thing.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
Can do those now, could not do it much at UK - Okafor the better player at the same age. That's why he's consensus #1 and the Sixers took Evan Turner over Cousins and people like adp said it was the right move. .

This post was edited on 2/18 11:58 AM by Ninetynine5.0

Burrs - im 34 and played college basketball. i understand the game and am a coach at a prep school in the philly area. im not a midlde age white guy who hates the NBA cause the shorts are too long. but i do think the players have too many tatoos.

DMIL, what you posted is completely non-sensical. What point are you trying to make? No one has said okafor will be bad. You said look at the draft to demonstrate it's a big man's game. First, it's not a big man's game anymore. Second, cousins wasn't the first pick in the draft. You then follow it up demonstrating your utter lack of NBA understanding by suggesting some freshman okafor is as skilled today as NBA AS cousins. Your words not mine. That's like saying some hot hockey prospect is more skilled than Toews or some topline NHL player who is much older and better. Crazy talk. You just keep digging and then try to turn this on me. What are you trying to say because you're doing a terrible job to this point? Cousins is a great player. The issue with him coming out was his head not his game. Great player. Okafor could be a great player as well. Regardless, the fact remains the NBA has changed all their rules. The result is guards-wings have the advantages and teams rely on spacing and shooting. That is how the game has evolved. If you don't "get" this I cannot help you. Just shut it down. So what is your point here? You believe Okafor will be a stud? Ok, he's the consensus number one pick so you're not making a huge leap there. I love Russell. For the Sixers he's perfect. I'm not banging on Okafor but the fact is the game has changed a lot and the games best players are not centers. LeBron, KD, Westbrook, Rose pre-injury, D wade, kobe before etc....this is not an accident. That's just where the game is today. Spacing, shooting, and dribble penetration with guards-wings. That's the game. Teams don't throw into karrem or shaq anymore. So what is your point here?

ADP, I'm solid at reading between the lines and your "not much" comment wreaks of garbage. Regardless, I disagree. Partly, because a rotation guy is better than "not much". I think a savvy GM can get a viable player in that range, in this draft.

CHAR currently holds the tiebreaker vs MIA, therefore they are the 7th seed. MIA is the 8th seed. They have the worse record of any team currently in the playoffs. Fourteen teams don't make the playoffs, thus MIA is in the 15th spot today. Not hard to understand. Furthermore, no way it will fall to 17th because they are currently 7.5 games behind MIL for that spot.

Now, don;t sit here and tell me they can't get fall anywhere between 9-16 based on these current records. Obviously, if they make the playoffs they can only be 15th or 16th, but if they finish 9th, 10th, or 11th in EC then it gets dicey. They are only 1 up on Nets. 1.5 on Celtics, and 2 each on DET and IND. This isn't over yet. George might be coming back for IND. Also, they are only 2.5 up on DEN, who they could fall behind if they get passed in EC.

Yes, we can revisit after the deadline to see if they added a player or two to help. That is definitely possible, but they definitely don't have a firm grip on that spot as of today, especially with Wade missing games.

Ok, I thought you said Okafor is more skilled than Cousins right now. I said it's possible that at similar stage he might be. Okafor is certainly a more mature kid and that played a part in cousins when he was drafted. I'm not sure Okafor has as much raw talent as Cousins had as a college freshman, but that is certainly a fairer statement.

Burrs, that's completely unfair. You cannot pick and choose people's words and then tell them what they mean. Not much is just that, not much. A rotation guy is not garbage. It's also not a huge difference maker. That's just the nature of the NBA draft at that spot. Being the resident expert on the NBA you know this already.

DMIL, who is the last 5 man drafted 1 overall that had a great career? I cannot think of one in the past ten years.
Here is your original quote.

Then in the next post you accurately call Cousins a stud, who was, as we know, taken in 2010 as a C, and say I know nothing about basketball. Just doesnt get any more vintage adp98 than that. It just doesnt. You gonna nit pick #1 overall i assume? Cousins should have gone 2. We all know that.

and.....was Cousins drafted number 1 overall? No, he was not. So the idea that we need to look at the NBA draft as you said to demonstrate the NBA is a big man league is false. Which is why I posed the question that you could not answer. Who was the last overall number 1 big that had a great career. Don't believe we've had one the past ten years. On the flip side we've had Rose, Kyrie, John Wall, Wiggins, Lebron, all go number one and they've had great careers or on their way. So to your specific point, if we're looking at the recent draft history I see a bunch of wings-guards who were the top picks that have more success. The last true bigs I can recall going one are Oden and Andrew Bogut. So you tried to changed the question and came up with Cousins as the answer. Complete intellectual dishonestly on your part. Your point was so weak you then try to argue cousins should have gone two. Guess what, he didn't and that doesn't do anything to strengthen your argument that recent draft history tells us the NBA is a big man's game. You are over your skis and don't understand the NBA. My guess is you watch maybe 5 minutes per year.

This post was edited on 2/18 10:34 AM by adp98

DMIL, what you posted is completely non-sensical. What point are you trying to make? No one has said okafor will be bad. You said look at the draft to demonstrate it's a big man's game. First, it's not a big man's game anymore. Second, cousins wasn't the first pick in the draft. You then follow it up demonstrating your utter lack of NBA understanding by suggesting some freshman okafor is as skilled today as NBA AS cousins. Your words not mine. That's like saying some hot hockey prospect is more skilled than Toews or some topline NHL player who is much older and better. Crazy talk. You just keep digging and then try to turn this on me. What are you trying to say because you're doing a terrible job to this point? Cousins is a great player. The issue with him coming out was his head not his game. Great player. Okafor could be a great player as well. Regardless, the fact remains the NBA has changed all their rules. The result is guards-wings have the advantages and teams rely on spacing and shooting. That is how the game has evolved. If you don't "get" this I cannot help you. Just shut it down. So what is your point here? You believe Okafor will be a stud? Ok, he's the consensus number one pick so you're not making a huge leap there. I love Russell. For the Sixers he's perfect. I'm not banging on Okafor but the fact is the game has changed a lot and the games best players are not centers. LeBron, KD, Westbrook, Rose pre-injury, D wade, kobe before etc....this is not an accident. That's just where the game is today. Spacing, shooting, and dribble penetration with guards-wings. That's the game. Teams don't throw into karrem or shaq anymore. So what is your point here?
I'm happy to do that - because sometimes kids ARE more skiled than even current players. Doesnt mean they are better players yet. In fact, in this year's draft, Connor McDavid IS more skilled than Towes. Being more skilled and being a better player are in fact two different things.

I meant, of course at the same point in their development. Okafor is the better 19 year old. Fact. Maybe not by much, but he's better, and I expect him to develop as well if not better than Cousins has, and Cousins has done really well here. And while you say it's not a big man's game, big men are coveted and over drafted YEAR AFTER YEAR. If we buy Hinke the genius, he's tanked and blown up his team for 3 years to draft TWO BIG MEN. Perhaps teams don't throw it in to Kareem and Shq anymore is because there has not been a Kareem or Shaq since. So, let's not go too crazy with the fact that it's not a big man's game. You are not winning without 6'11 guys. The proto typical center role has changed, but at 6'11, A Davis and Durant are physically big players. Bosch was needed in Miami, and it wasnt because he can hit from the outside sometimes. Okafor I dont think will be those kind of guys, but there's not many like him at his size that can run, have the hands and feet, distribute, have NBA ready moves to get the rim, the wing span and sheer skill at 6'11. It's why he's a consensus #1. He's not a lumbering 7 footer. He's far more than that.

And yes, I believe he will be an excellent pro. But when you say 'name me the last big man at #1 who's been any good' and then say you're not knocking Okafor, that's hallow and obvious.

You might have meant "of course at the same point in their development" but you said RIGHT NOW. So next time, just say what you mean we won't have these issues.

Burrs - high school level located in suburban PA, 20 miles or so from philly. i prefer not to say which one on a public board.

not the head coach of the varsity. im an assistant.
This post was edited on 2/18 1:15 PM by novabball2

Cousins fell because of attitude issues. Okafor is considered a very nice kid.

I worry about Okafor's defense and ability to score against more athletic defenders (if they play kentucky this year we might get a glimpse). He is not as quick or as strong as Cousins in most people's opinion. His footwork, touch, and passing are superb - there have been guys with these skills at the 5 who have not translated well though. Rebounding almost always translates well and at worst case he will be a guy you can rely on for 12-8-3 if given the minutes

For the Sixers, I like Myles Turner as a power forward a lot. Has range out to NBA three and blocks shots at a high level. If we don't get lucky in the lottery (Russell) Turner will be just fine with me. Then you can package the Heat pick with some other assets, or keep the Heat pick and get another (fairly probable going by past ~#16 picks) rotation player.

Mudiay is another good option. I'm confident they'll get a nice "piece" no matter where they draft at. If they start the season off well, there is decent reason to believe they'll be active at the trade deadline, as it will be clear who they want to keep out of MCW/Noel/Embiid/McDaniels by then.

Who knows, maybe even Saric plays next year. Weirder things have happened. Plenty of trade chips and talent to work with.

ADP, I think there's this guy Anthony Davis who is a pretty good center that got drafted 1. And I'm well aware how the NBA has changed, I watch more of it than you do. And Okafor is a 4 but teams now slot there 4's in as 5's and play small ball. Therefore having another 4 on the court that shoots and spreads the floor. So Okafor will be able to play in both styles once he develops a midrange.

Dmill, you absolutely said that Okafor was more skilled than Cousins currently is. You didn't say comparatively at the same age, you said he was more skilled right now. That is completely untrue and not even close to being real life. Cousins is the most skilled back to the basket scorer in the NBA currently.

Burrs, I was incorrect, not sure why I was thinking that. My statement would be more accurate is I said solid players. There's guys like Larry Sanders (before going crazy), Rodney Stuckey, George Hill, Courtney Lee, Patty Mills, Hasssan Whiteside, Jimmy Butler, Norris Cole, Faried, Kawhi, Reggie Jackson, etc. I probably thought that because of recent successes teams have had drafting. And Lilliard and Elfrid, even though they were lottery picks. My main point in that regard is that teams should look towards accomplished seniors/juniors, even if they're from larger schools, over freshmen with "potential" that weren't even that good in college.

Okafor plays the 5. He does not play the 4 at Duke. He'll play the 5 in the NBA. Totally whiffed on Davis as he's a stud. Completely forgot about him. Also an example of how 5's are no longer back-to-basket players. Guy was a guard in high school until he grew 9 inches.

So because he plays something in college because they don't have anyone else that could play that role, means he'll play it in the pro's? I don't think so. Am I saying he'll play no 5, no. I think he'll be more like a Tim Duncan, where he's a 4, but depending on the line up he can also play the 5.

Okafor's success will be largely dependent on if he is able to transform his body. His arms are long enough where with just a little bit more athleticism/endurance his defense will be good enough that he can play 30+ minutes a night.

I think he can do both 4 and 5. Al Horford/Al Jefferson hybrid perhaps as a best case. Horford was definitely a superior athlete coming out of college but he's 19, things can change still. No matter what, this years draft is going to be full of projects. I like it way more overall than I did in July though. Which, of course, happens every year. Kids get better (Myles Turner) and those who were nowhere in the picture emerge (Russell).

I saw some people complaining about how Turner plays hunched over. He had 4 blocks in the same game. I think he can get upright when need be.

Back to the sixers quickly. There are only two things that need to happen between now and next year for me to be happy and finally be over the whole tanking process.

1. They need to leverage their available cap room at this trade deadline and collect more assets. Or at least try to. I want to hear them potentially being involved in as many deals as humanly possible.

2. Start the FA acquisition process this off season and be aggressive. In a few years they are going to have to make decisions on all their young players and before that they need to actually pair them with real NBA players and see how they perform in order to determine who's a keeper. Also, this offseason will be the best offseason in NBA history to acquire free agents. With the cap going up in 2 years pretty much every single deal will turn into a bargain at the start of that season. It's the one time they can make some reaches, make a mistake or 2 and still be able to get a max level free agent.

If they do both of these things then I believe they will have successfully completed the tank to the best of their ability and really the best that any team could possibly do. It just so happened they probably wont end up with the #1 pick or a sure fire superstar during this tanking run but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles. With the above moves there's really nothing else they could have possible done.

New uniforms is a hint as to what is coming. They are starting to promote next season. I said a long time ago that they must make their move in 2015-16 and they will.. I expect a playoff spot or damn close to it with significant improvement and ready for the next level of top 3-4 teams in 2016-17. Again, injuries happen and that could change things.

They tanked two seasons in a row, obtained assets and it paid off and will pay off with two top 15 picks and a crap load of money to spend if they choose this summer or summer 2016. The nucleus of MCW, Embid, Noel, McDaniels to go with a Russell or Johnson and mid first rounder such as say Montrezl Harrell and you have yourself a lot of young talent to make the move. Also, Saric can be gotten a year earlier if they want to.

Don't look now but the future may be very bright.
This post was edited on 2/18 6:33 PM by matty17

Making the playoffs in the east, while obviously an improvement (it would be hard NOT to improve from here) is not saying much.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Making the playoffs in the east, while obviously an improvement (it would be hard NOT to improve from here) is not saying much.
True. But after winning less than 40 games in two seasons, you better start somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT