ADVERTISEMENT

Great article on tankadelphia 76ers

Originally posted by matty17:
Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Making the playoffs in the east, while obviously an improvement (it would be hard NOT to improve from here) is not saying much.
True. But after winning less than 40 games in two seasons, you better start somewhere.
Understood, but they basically did that by design. And to do that just to wind up basically where they were before they tanked doesnt seem that great to me.

I've linked an article Deadspin wrote about Hinke. Really a brutal take down of him. I have no idea why they even wrote this but it really gets after him. Thought it was fitting for this thread and the BW'ers would like it and read it. Just skip the beginning paragraph or 2, they make no sense. Calls Hinke a "moron and a fraud".

Posted the above only halfway through reading, holy crap was that a load of garbage. If the writer actually believes what he put in that article he should never be allowed to write about basketball again. Can't wait for comments about it in the AM.

http://deadspin.com/the-76ers-are-run-by-a-ridicul

"The Sixers are run by a Ted- humping Moron"

I don't put too much stock into this piece, but this title made me laugh out loud. Easily transferable to my world.

Let's be fair Dmil. No one say that simply making the playoffs is the end goal. So, do you expect them to just win 18 games for a couple of years and then boom, be a NBA title contender? It's a process. You make the playoffs and then improve upon the next year, and so forth.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:
Let's be fair Dmil. No one say that simply making the playoffs is the end goal. So, do you expect them to just win 18 games for a couple of years and then boom, be a NBA title contender? It's a process. You make the playoffs and then improve upon the next year, and so forth.
Actually, in the NBA, that should not be terribly out of the question. I also thinks that hatchet piece does touch on one very important point - the cap is about to jump significantly, leaving a lot of teams with a lot of money. The Sixers are going to need to show legitimate progress, and their cornerstones pieces are going to have to show they are HIGHLY promising for their cap spce to mean anything advantageous, because other teams that are further along will be more attractive to the better free agents. Unless Hinke can pull off some kind of Atlanta Hawk build here.

We'll cross the TV deal, cap ramifications bridge when we get to it.

Burrs, let's be fair here, DMIL has a point. I'm a Sixer fan and I have to conceed the point. Tow issues: the cap goes way up so everyone will have CAP SPACE!!!! Second point, yesterday I heard Shane Battier slam the Sixers approach around all the data gathering. His point was that many NBA players will be turned off by having every move tracked and this will be another deteerant in signing with Philly. Good men can agree that will not apply to everyone but certainly will apply to some. We have no idea how it plays out but many have made the point that the Sixers are doing this and inreality they are simply increasing their odds to get lucky. Reason being the only way they make a significant jump is to get lucky and have the balls go their way in a draft when a unique talent is available. They are O-1 given they missed on Wiggins, who looks better than I expected. Cap tip to johnny G and Dmil.

Even though the Sixers suck it's refreshing to look around the league sometimes and see what horrible moves other teams are trying to make. The Wolves traded the 76ers Miami's protected one for Thad Young when the team had absolutely no chance of being competitive and is now a bottom feeder. And now the Wolves are trying to flip Thad Young for KG who's almost useless and about to retire. So essentially they're tying to trade a top 10 protected pick of a fringe lottery team for a feel good story in KG. Amazing.

Ideally, the foundation of building a good team is going to come from the draft and you use FA to supplement things. I'm not really worried about not being able to find a quality, viable FA to help the process because of the perception that no one will want to to come to Philly or because more teams will have space in the years to come. I totally disagree with that line of thinking. Players will go where money is available and the Lakers, Heat, etc can't sign everyone. If the kids they are drafting show promise then other players will be interested in coming here.

So, they're 0-1? We are waving the white flag with Embiid. Cool....

All indications are that the players are receptive to the stuff they are doing because they understand in the end it will make the a better player. Guess what? If some lazy, entitled players doesn't want that, then why would we want that player on the team anyway?

I was a Wiggins guy with them, too. I'll accept a cap tip :) But they didn't miss on him. He was picked before their turn. Everyone knows there are no guarantees of where the lottery balls fall.

Again, you don't necessarily need a superstar. Look at the Hawks. Go and look and see how their team was constructed.

High Pick/Lottery:
Al Horford - 8th year in the league

1st RD Picks outside lottery:
Jeff Teague - 6th year in the league - 19th pick
Dennis Schroder - 17th pick
john Jenkins - 23rd pick.

2nd RD Picks:
-Mike Scott

Free agents:
Paul Millsap - Not a marquee guy; but a very good player. - 9th year
Theo Sefolosha - Role player
Demarre Carroll
Elton Brand
Kent Bazemore

Trades:
Kyle Korver - For a ball rack - 12th year (Wow)

The core of this team al, has experience and is in the 26-32 age range. These Sixers are puppies. They are the youngest team in league history. Now, not all of them will be here for the next decade, but you have to give this thing time to marinate a little.

Calling them the youngest team in league history, while true, is also misleading. They're the youngest team because they have a ton of absolute junk that will never sniff another NBA roster. Not that hard to be young when you don't care about half the guys being on the team in 3 months.

Burrs, with all due respect to the Hawks, who are havig by any account a great season, they have won exactly dick so far. The same can be said for the team that Hinkie apparently emulates - the Rockets. Have not been terribly relevant since Rudy T. I guess what i am saying is, what's applies to Mike Rizzo has to apply here as well. It's only fair. We'll see what happens April through June.

I hear where adp and the critics are coming from - but I dont have any issue with what Hinkie is trying to implement here. These guys are getting paid millions of the Sixers money - a few tabs on them seems pretty logical to me. Not sure I buy the Ted talks, but whatever.

Well, my goal is for the Sixers to be relevant and have a chance. Titles don't grow on trees. I get that the Hawks haven't won anything, but as of today at least their in the conversation to do something special this year. Will they? Chances are no, but as a fan, all I ask for is a chance.

Selmore, totally disagree about the "bunch of junk"......I said this earlier in the year, but I think most of these guys have a place on a NBA roster. The Sixers problem is that they all are on one roster and extremely young.

I don't consider the following players "junk"...

Noel - 20
MCW - 23
Wroten - 22
Embiid - 20
McDaniels - 22
Grant - 20
Covington - 24

These guys have showed a little promise for the most part.

Thompson - 23
Sims - 24
Sampson - 21
aldemir - 23

Not saying these guys are part of any foundation of a good team's rotation, but they have developed some. If you watched them play then you see it. At worse, they roster guys in this league.

ADP, just to revisit our convo yesterday about potentially nabbing MIA's 1st Rd this year. The mock that novaball posted on the other board had some intriguing names in it. Obviously, that is subject to change or be inaccurate, but as a gauge it has some promise to it.

13. Oubre
14. Kaminsky
15. Booker
16. Lyles
17. Portis
18. Alexanader
19. Grant

I pretty much like all of these guys in this range. Four freshman with some upside to them. Portis is a freak on most nights. Grant has my attention. He's played very well.

wayns played 18 mins last night and was 8-8 for 16 pts.

does he ever sniff the NBA again? probably not. good thing he has a degree .... oh wait.

Burrs, like in regards to what? Those guys are not starters on playoff teams. Maybe one develops. Let's take Grant. Nice player, not a great athlete with. A ceiling as a 2nd unit scorer. I like Portis but he's essentially noel with more skill, less defense and rebounding. None of those guys address the Sixers issue: no studs. Oubre, nice player can't shoot a lick. All these guys have flaws that will get exposed at the next level. These are guys who slot in. As 8-10 guys on good teams with the hope to develop into something more. Might happen but none any better or potentially as good as a garden variety FA who could be had today with all that cap space.

Sixers already taking my advice. Taking on Javale McGehee's deal for a 1st rounder.

So Sixers get a first round pick, pay McVale and his $12 million for rest of this year and next. Which is essentially free because they needed to reach the salary floor. Pick is OKC's pick this year which is top 18 protected this year and lottery protected next. So basically we get a free pick in the 19-28 range. Use of the cap space so clearly a win. How much, we'll see.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to WTF Danny Ainge is doing in Boston?
What do you mean? Ainge already accomplished his goal by unloading Green and Rondo. Assume he's done unless they can make another move to shed money or talent. Did they make another move?

Originally posted by adp98:

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to WTF Danny Ainge is doing in Boston?
What do you mean? Ainge already accomplished his goal by unloading Green and Rondo. Assume he's done unless they can make another move to shed money or talent. Did they make another move?
Undertstood, but what is he building actually? I see it with the Sixers - I do get it with Boston. Friggin mish mash.

He's doing the same thing Philly's doing but starting from a spot where he actually had more parts to dump. He's pretty much accomplished his tear down. Guy is a great GM and knows what he's doing.

OKC, when all is said and done, will probably end up with the 19th or so worst record if you look at standings - that pick will almost surely end up being this yr as they will end up passing teams like Charlotte, Phoenix, Milw. So the Sixers would pick top 3, 15ish (Miami) and 19 (OKC).

He's doing the same thing Philly's doing but starting from a spot where he actually had more parts to dump. He's pretty much accomplished his tear down. Guy is a great GM and knows what he's doing.
Eh -- they have been positively midiocre for the better part of 5 years now, and their current collection is an absolute cluster eff of odd pieces that may or may not fit together. Polish off the turd?

They were caught riding out the end of the Garnett, Pierce ere. They made the conference Finals 3 years ago (losing to the champs in 7 games) and Finals 5 year ago. So saying they've been mirred in mediocrity for 5 years is not accurate. Now they are tearing down so I wouldn't focus on the current roster. The thing about Boston is they'll attract FA's and get guys to come. Ainge made his move early to maximize his returns. He's done what he needed to do this year so your comment seems odd.

This post was edited on 2/19 2:00 PM by adp98

They were caught riding out the end of the Garnett, Pierce ere. They made the conference Finals 3 years ago (losing to the champs in 7 games) and Finals 5 year ago. So saying they've been mirred in mediocrity for 5 years is not accurate. Now they are tearing down so I wouldn't focus on the current roster. The thing about Boston is they'll attract FA's and get guys to come. Ainge made his move early to maximize his returns. He's done what he needed to do this year so your comment seems odd.

This post was edited on 2/19 2:00 PM by adp98
Definitely a destination basketball city - no doubt about that. Right up there with LAL.

My comments are not odd. Look at the roster.

The Celtics have a lot of upcoming first round picks - this is what Ainge has been doing:

2015 first round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-3 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-7 in 2016, 1-7 in 2017, 1-7 in 2018, 1-7 in 2019 and 1-7 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [Boston-Dallas, 12/18/2014]

2015 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 2015 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-L.A. Clippers, 6/25/2013]

(Won't be conveyed but) 2015 first round draft pick from Minnesota
Minnesota's 1st round pick to Boston (via Phoenix) protected for selections 1-12 in 2015 and 1-12 in 2016; if Minnesota has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2016, then Minnesota will instead convey its 2016 2nd round pick and 2017 2nd round pick to Boston [Minnesota-New Orleans-Phoenix, 7/27/2012; Boston-Phoenix, 1/9/2015]

(Won't be conveyed but) 2015 first round draft pick from Philadelphia
Philadelphia's 2015 1st round pick to Boston (via Miami) protected for selections 1-14; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Boston [Miami-Philadelphia, 6/28/2012; Boston-Golden State-Miami, 1/15/2014]

2016 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2016 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]

2016 first round draft pick from Cleveland
Cleveland's 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-10 in 2016, 1-10 in 2017 and 1-10 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 [Boston-Brooklyn-Cleveland, 7/10/2014]

2017 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Boston has the right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Brooklyn's 2017 1st round pick; if Boston exercises this swap right, then Boston will convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Brooklyn will be extinguished) [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]; this potential pick conveyance is the same as the one described in "2017 first round draft pick from Boston" on Brooklyn Credits

2017 first round draft pick from Memphis
If at least two years after Memphis conveyed a 1st round pick to Denver, then Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-10 in 2017, 1-12 in 2018, 1-8 in 2019 and 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [Boston-Memphis-New Orleans, 1/12/2015]

2018 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2018 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]

They absolutely hosed Brooklyn. Jesus that franchise is screwed. They also have acquired a lot of second round picks. They'll get their talent in the next 2-3 years and because they're Boston they'll probably get the #1 superstar guy the Sixers won't haha.

DMIL, you must not understand your own posts. You wrote they have been stuck in medocrity for 5 seasons. 5 years ago they lost the NBA Finals in 7 games. They should have won game 7 but chocked away in the last 3 minutes. Two years later they lost to the Champs in the conference Finals in 7. So no, they have not been stuck for 5 years. They tried to win and didn't get it done. Since then Ainge has tore down the roster and just finished the job this season. They have done exactly what they set out to do. Boston is in tank mode. Their current roster resembles a team in tank mode. It makes complete sense if you understand what they are doing.

Boston would be Hinke's wet dream right now. Ainge is sitting on so many picks that HInke would be jealous. Imagine Hinke's stock of 2nd rounders except they're unprotected 1st rounders for a team that's in the middle of failing. The smart thing for Boston to do was to wait out this deadline unless something too good to pass up came along, take their high draft pick this year and then start figuring things out next year.

They'll have their pick and the Clippers pick this year. Their pick, the Mavericks pick next year (top 7 protected), Minny's pick (top 12 protected), Brooklyns pick, Clevelands pick (top 10 protected) next year. The right to swap pick with Brooklyn and Memphis' pick (top 10 protected) in 2017. In 2018 they'll have their own pick and Brooklyns pick.

All the above doesn't even get into the 2nd rounders they've accrued and other potential moves they can make. With that kind of treasure trove of assets you don't make reckless moves. They have so much to play with that they can pick their spots and make sure that they make the perfect trade or they can just select people in the draft. It's really a win win. I think they'd be better served making some trades with those picks because you could hit 0 home runs across all of them but you're likely to find something. Also they could be staring at multiple number 1 picks in future years with their own or brooklyns.

Gdog, not definite that OKC gets to that 19th spot. Yea, they have the talents to go on a serious run if they stay healthy the rest of the year. However, they probably won't be any better than the 8th seed in West. They're 6 back of the Spurs for 7th spot. Also, they would need to pass not only MIL (2 games back), but also either CLV (4 games) or WAS (4.5). Not sure that is going to be easy. They do have 17 of 29 at home. I think they 12 games left with current WC playoff teams (6 home) and a few toughies vs the East; CHI (2), TOR, and ATL. At least three of those are at home.

Congrats to Minnesota for completing their exercise in futility and proving once again why they are one of the worst franchises in the NBA. When the trade is looked at in a circular view, the Wolves just traded about the 16th pick in this years draft to rent a broken down KG for a few months on the 2nd worst team in the NBA. Because if a young, bad, team needs anything it's not young 1st round picks, it's guys who will retire in 3 months. Ahhhh to be the Wolves GM. Life is good.

So Garnett waives no-trade clause to go back to Minn for Thad Young? Meanwhile, Hinkie got a Shrved and a1st-Rd'er for Thad.

Dragic to MIA. So, the Heat will probably make the playoffs. Though, DET nabbing Reggie Jackson helps their cause.

i dont get it. what is hinke doing? trading players for picks and then those players for more picks. its a revolving door where no one will ever be on the team for more than 2 years. Such a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT