ADVERTISEMENT

Harvey = Strasburg???

Lowry was a huge Drew Storen fan, thought Rizzo should have held tight.

Intellectual honesty taking a beating with all the showering. I was a big Clippard fan. Rizzo traded him in the offseason for infield help, also let Soriano go (had that one right at least, though not a great signing in the first place), and reinstalled playoff basketcase Storen as closer, without adding anyone.

So he let his most reliable late innings guy go, as well as his former closer, and replaced them all with guys on the roster he acquired and fell in love with, all of whom pretty much stunk as it turned out. By the time he realized he created a complete disaster, he felt compelled to add Paps, which also blew up in his face.

No idea why you won't address those moves. The fire Rizzo started was already burning out of control when he threw gas on it with the Papelbon trade.

So to be clear you favored no move at the deadline? You're like the house conservatives, no plan but want to complain about whatever approach out there. Yoy hated storen, didn't favor papelbon but yet there wasn't a better reliever moved. So yoyr fallback was Clippard. Child please. Clip is a great dude but he wasn't a closer or the answer. He certainly was not better than storen, which is why rizzo brought in Soriano and papelbon within 3 years of each other.

My plan is out there. Would have retained Clippard, club control beyond 2015 or no. The back end of the bullpen works together, Clippard was the best part of the answer for the Nats in prior years. I cannot see how getting rid of him in the offseason improved things, I also think he would've been a better option than Storen as closer if push came to shove.

I would have planned to replace Soriano with someone else, preferably in the offseason. Paps, and others, were available then for the right price. If Paps was the guy, why not make the move in the offseason when it might have been less likely to cause bunched panties? If you had to ship Storen then, he would've been forgotten by mid season (apart from the playoff meltdowns that never can be).

Storen by all accounts was great in season this year as closer before the Papelbon trade... going and getting Paps anyway was a clear admission by Rizzo of a mistake in the offseason in how he built the bullpen. Maybe it was the right move but the wrong time, and that's on Rizzo.

"Clubhouse chemistry" is for talking heads to bring up when a team sh*ts the bed. Every sports team is made up of alpha male d*ckheads know-it-alls who invariably clash. When you win, "you made each other better". When you lose, it's "clubhouse chemistry issues".

Lowry, weak explanation. ND is absolutely correct.

Doing my part to get this thread to page 7.

brycecrash.gif

Writing/talking about puffery like "team chemistry" is a whole lot easier than figuring out what actually went wrong.

Jayson Werth wasn't thinking about mean old Papelbon when he was grounding out to short. Ian Desmond wasn't thinking about his teammates opinions when he was launching throws into the first base stands.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
"Clubhouse chemistry" is for talking heads to bring up when a team sh*ts the bed. Every sports team is made up of alpha male d*ckheads know-it-alls who invariably clash. When you win, "you made each other better". When you lose, it's "clubhouse chemistry issues".

Normally I would agree with this analysis, except when the alpha male d*ckhead in question is so out of control that he literally tried to choke the team's budding superstar and franchise player, in public no less.

And it's not like Papelbon's reputation didn't precede him. Total bonehead move on Rizzo's part.

Storen was clearly not happy when he was unceremoniously demoted and Paps took his uniform number, and this was before Paps:

1) Ran his mouth about the Phillies
2) Threw at Machado's head and was ejected/suspended
3) Attempted to choke the life out of Harper with his bare hands in the dugout in view of TV cameras

Yeah, adding Pap had zero impact on that team. Blame it on the talking heads.

Nats had the 2nd easiest schedule in baseball the second half and played .500 ball. Mediocre team. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Just for the sake of accuracy here, when did Papelbon take Storen's number? If you guys are going to make stuff up at least don't make it obvious.

Al Leiter said there used to be numerous fist fights on teams that he played on that won the world series. Let's listen to Rickey Bottalico.

O_7kjT.gif

hqdefault.jpg

That's not an opinion, Leiter was on those teams.

So just because Leiter was on teams in which there were fights, that means that Pap choking Bryce Harper in public didn't poison the clubhouse?

Faulty logic.

Thought you were talking about the Mets until I got to the end of that sentence.

Papelbon choking Harper at the end of the season didn't cause their collapse two months ago.
Yeah, but some no name mediocre reliever who last pitched a decade ago is saying that Paplebon was the Nats cancer.

Congrats tomdudes:
freakmoney.gif

So Lowry wanted Espinosa and his .215 average as the nats second baseman?

After consulting with our doctors,we will shutdown these thread after 302 posts. Thanks and see you next season.

Reactions: HereComeTheCats
Thought you were talking about the Mets until I got to the end of that sentence.

Papelbon choking Harper at the end of the season didn't cause their collapse two months ago.

I never said that the team isn't overrated. They are mediocre at best.

But bringing a petulant jerkoff like Papelbomb into the mix certainly didn't help matters.

How did they miss the opportunity to honor this with a banner? I prediCT a 5 story banner to honor bryces mvp. Which is awesome. Yesterday we looked at new office space. If we go with the one near the park, my office will be looking straight through center into the park. I can sit there and look at these banners each and every day. Suffice to say, I'm pumped.

Which hurts team performance more? An unfriendly teammate? Or sucking on the field and not hitting/getting outs. Keep yammering on about chemistry though

Your definition of "unfriendly" is someone who chokes another person with his bare hands in front of millions of people?

An excerpt from a Washington Post article....

A crucial homestand began with a listless, 10-3 loss to last-place Milwaukee. On that Saturday morning, Werth arrived at the ballpark and looked at the lineup card posted on a bulletin board that hangs on the wall just outside the main clubhouse. Clint Robinson was penciled into left field, where Werth plays. Rendon was penciled into the leadoff spot, where Werth had been hitting. Werth’s name wasn’t on it.

Throughout the season, when everyday players are going to get a day off, the manager typically finds a way to get the message to a player the night before. The player, then, can do with that information whatever he wants — get in a more rigorous weight-lifting session that night, arrive at the ballpark a little later the next day, whatever. More importantly, a player with a day off can mentally decompress and, for once, relax.

According to individuals with direct knowledge of the situation, Werth hadn’t received such a message from Williams. This wasn’t the first time, and Werth wasn’t the first veteran to experience what players considered an oversight once, an egregious error beyond that.

What might have been a minor blip in a successful season became a boiling point. Incensed, Werth ripped the lineup card off the wall, bellowing that it was going to change. Then, according to several people who were present, he confronted Williams — not just about whether he would play that day, but about what most of the clubhouse considered to be a chronic lack of communication with his players. Among the most jarring barbs, from Werth to Williams: “When exactly do you think you lost this team?”

#tombstonewants8pages

Werth just went up another notch in my book. Thanks tom. Tonight I'm going to replay the clip of the most dramatic ab I've seen in person. Not often you see a 13 pitch ab (starting 0-2 no less) that staves off elimination.

So, would Werth have been on board with the suggestion that Williams be fired in the offseason, or in April, the 2014 MOY be damned? Or would you tell him to hit the showers like Williams probably did?

Did Werth storm up to Rizzo's office next and hear about the MOY principle?

Definitely something to be said for Werth. This fit of rage show again he was back on cycle at the time, dedicated to his team and trying to earn his salary, risking his future health, even with all the money in the bank he really gives a $hit. Sad that the 'roids can't keep his broken down body playing at a high level for more than a few weeks at a time any more though.

So, would Werth have been on board with the suggestion that Williams be fired in the offseason, or in April, the 2014 MOY be damned? Or would you tell him to hit the showers like Williams probably did?

Did Werth storm up to Rizzo's office next and hear about the MOY principle?

Definitely something to be said for Werth. This fit of rage show again he was back on cycle at the time, dedicated to his team and trying to earn his salary, risking his future health, even with all the money in the bank he really gives a $hit. Sad that the 'roids can't keep his broken down body playing at a high level for more than a few weeks at a time any more though.
If only he was juicing like he was in 08 and 09 this team could still be in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT