ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Cover-up worse than expected

I can say with 100% certainty, I would disown Villanova in every sense if the same thing happened. Somethings are too important to look the other way, that's precisely what these penn state people don't see.

And I'm sure there are plenty of PSU people that feel this way right now. Of course, they'll never out-scream the dopes.

The Jay comparisons are lame. Paterno was god like. He started the program from nothing, had a house on campus, and even after years of mediocrity the university refuse to get rid of him. They let him stand up there after this all broke and decide what the timelines were for his 'retirement'. We'd all follow Jay to a point but be serious.

NewYou're all hypocrites. You know if this happened here, you would all defend Jay to your graves.

There they go throwing the religious card. As if Catholics or alums would defend that out of Jay. Jackass.

Only one throwing out a religious card is you, dickhead.

You're all hypocrites. You know if this happened here, you would all defend Jay to your graves.
What a fking stupid comment! At least 99% of VU alum would demand Jay's expulsion and arrest if he ever tolerated that kind of sick coverup even if it only went on for one month. I won't read the PSU alumni comments because it's too sickening but they are total immoral assholes if they are trying to defend this.

What a fking stupid comment! At least 99% of VU alum would demand Jay's expulsion and arrest if he ever tolerated that kind of sick coverup even if it only went on for one month. I won't read the PSU alumni comments because it's too sickening but they are total immoral assholes if they are trying to defend this.

So, you're putting down certain posters, Tom? Nice move!

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of PSU alums feel the same way but you're listening to the very vocal fringe idiots and passing judgment on the whole school.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of PSU alums feel the same way but you're listening to the very vocal fringe idiots and passing judgment on the whole school.

I really don't think the vast majority do condemn it. I know more than a few PSU grads through work - the worst i have gotten for them was 'weeelllll, it was a complicated issue and I'm not sure anyone can really say for sure what happened ".

Reactions: The_Expansion_Crew
I really don't think the vast majority do condemn it. I know more than a few PSU grads through work - the worst i have gotten for them was 'weeelllll, it was a complicated issue and I'm not sure anyone can really say for sure what happened ".

So, you're managing their disappointment in Joe PA? Or, are you managing their ability to read reports and develop an opinion based on what they deem as facts? All because it doesn't jive with your level of outrage?

So, you're managing their disappointment in Joe PA? Or, are you managing their ability to read reports and develop an opinion based on what they deem as facts? All because it doesn't jive with your level of outrage?

Not at all. They have no outrage. Only love for an accomplice to cild rape. And this is a half assed attempt that is really only digging your hole deeper. You might want to stop digging, and come back next week a bit more self aware.

Reactions: tomjackleman
Not at all. They have no outrage. Only love for an accomplice to cild rape. And this is a half assed attempt that is really only digging your hole deeper. You might want to stop digging, and come back next week a bit more self aware.

What hole? You telling someone else to be self-aware is priceless. Cap tip.

Will Bridges play in the NBA? You never answered that. Just curious to what you think.

So, you're putting down certain posters, Tom? Nice move!
No. It was not a broad brush like you used, Jake. I said DonkeyPuncher was an asshole for his statement that people would condone Jay being involved in a similar situation. It wasn't a blanket statement about all posters in a thread like you did.

No. It was not a broad brush like you used, Jake. I said DonkeyPuncher was an asshole for his statement that people would condone Jay being involved in a similar situation. It wasn't a blanket statement about all posters in a thread like you did.
Please try to read threads. It was directed directly at someone.

the new stuff directly implicating paterno in the 70s is the death knell for the JoePa supporters. Nothing more they can do.

Reactions: Chimpat
The new evidence is even more damning than ever. Especially that one case from '71. You know penn staters will say that phone call never happened because there is no recording of it.

The article on CNN made you want to hurl. Unless you went to Penn State, then you just say oh, it's yet another guy making it up.

Part of the ex player is pretty much PSU in a nutshell. Sickos

The ironic thing about the whole "...if this happened at Villanova I would disown the school..." response is that our president is a ranking member of an institution that ignored and covered up the same crimes for decades, on a far greater scale that what happened at PSU.

Reactions: dirtyd
The ironic thing about the whole "...if this happened at Villanova I would disown the school..." response is that our president is a ranking member of an institution that ignored and covered up the same crimes for decades, on a far greater scale that what happened at PSU.

Do explain???

There was thing - maybe you heard about it - called
The Catholic Church sex abuse scandal. Our alma mater is a Catholic school last I checked.

If abuse and cover up anywhere near the scale of Penn State Happened at Nova, I'm out 100%. Would be a major disappointment, but what can you do. It has to be done.

Reactions: tomjackleman
Sounds like tommyjackelman agrees with this dude:

Can you summarize that for me? I have no interest in clicking.

Is he saying child molesting is bad? Is he saying covering up for it is bad? Is he saying those who put football over the well being of young boys is bad?

If so, I agree. If not, please retract your statement.

Can you summarize that for me? I have no interest in clicking.

Is he saying child molesting is bad? Is he saying covering up for it is bad? Is he saying those who put football over the well being of young boys is bad?

If so, I agree. If not, please retract your statement.

He agrees with all of those statements, and articulates his points quite nicely.

He agrees with all of those statements, and articulates his points quite nicely.

Cool. All good then. Sad news that came out over the weekend, but it's nice to know that Joe Pa's statue will never be back up, that his supporters can't even rely on a shred of doubt anymore.

Burrsian letter from the PSU President today...basically gave the media a beating because it's 'too soon to tell' and they shouldn't have reported it until they know yet more facts and people who were raped at Penn State under Paterno's knowledge for decades. He's appalled by the rush to judgment ( 4 years is his idea of rushing i guess), but he's not appalled by his football coach knowing kids were getting raped on campus by his defensive coordinator.

"I want you to know I am appalled by the rumor, innuendo and rush to judgment that have accompanied the media stories surrounding these allegations. All too often in our society, people are convicted in the court of public opinion, only to find a different outcome when all the facts are presented."

Burrsian letter from the PSU President today...basically gave the media a beating because it's 'too soon to tell' and they shouldn't have reported it until they know yet more facts and people who were raped at Penn State under Paterno's knowledge for decades. He's appalled by the rush to judgment ( 4 years is his idea of rushing i guess), but he's not appalled by his football coach knowing kids were getting raped on campus by his defensive coordinator.

"I want you to know I am appalled by the rumor, innuendo and rush to judgment that have accompanied the media stories surrounding these allegations. All too often in our society, people are convicted in the court of public opinion, only to find a different outcome when all the facts are presented."

Looks like Dmil missed sucking my dick when he was in jail. Can't help himself, AGAIN!

I have no affiliation with PSU or any love for PSU but it is obvious that PSU football haters are intent on blaming Paterno for Sandusky, as if Paterno was the decision maker. All of these incidents were reported up channels as required by Paterno if and when Paterno found out about them. The AD's office and the PSU administration would have had authority to investigate, to refer to the police, to fire Sandusky, etc... Yet, all the wrath is focused on Paterno as if he actually was the President of the university. This is strange. Now if there is proof that the university wanted to fire Sandusky and Paterno prevented them from doing so in some way I could understand focusing blame on Paterno. All of this bs that Paterno was the defacto head of PSU is just that bs. Was he in cahoots with the administration regarding a cover up? Was he told that the investigations turned out warrantless? etc... That is where the evidence is missing!

If anything the new information is an indictment of the PSU administration UNLESS there is evidence that they investigated and found nothing. To me, the easiest thing for PSU to do would have been to report the incident to the police and put the onus on the police to investigate. It is very possible that the alleged victims told PSU not to report it to the police. Whether PSU conducted its own investigation or reported it to the police to investigate there will always be haters who allege that the internal or the police investigation was rigged by PSU. At some point that stuff has to be proven rather than just speculated about. There is a reason there are courts and standards for finding guilt based on evidence not on hearsay or speculation.

I have no affiliation with PSU or any love for PSU but it is obvious that PSU football haters are intent on blaming Paterno for Sandusky, as if Paterno was the decision maker. All of these incidents were reported up channels as required by Paterno if and when Paterno found out about them. The AD's office and the PSU administration would have had authority to investigate, to refer to the police, to fire Sandusky, etc... Yet, all the wrath is focused on Paterno as if he actually was the President of the university. This is strange. Now if there is proof that the university wanted to fire Sandusky and Paterno prevented them from doing so in some way I could understand focusing blame on Paterno. All of this bs that Paterno was the defacto head of PSU is just that bs. Was he in cahoots with the administration regarding a cover up? Was he told that the investigations turned out warrantless? etc... That is where the evidence is missing!

If anything the new information is an indictment of the PSU administration UNLESS there is evidence that they investigated and found nothing. To me, the easiest thing for PSU to do would have been to report the incident to the police and put the onus on the police to investigate. It is very possible that the alleged victims told PSU not to report it to the police. Whether PSU conducted its own investigation or reported it to the police to investigate there will always be haters who allege that the internal or the police investigation was rigged by PSU. At some point that stuff has to be proven rather than just speculated about. There is a reason there are courts and standards for finding guilt based on evidence not on hearsay or speculation.
So... JoePa is okay because he made half assed reports to PSU administrators? I thought he was the voice of morality in college football. I guess he just punted the responsibility on the big issues and focused on recruiting good players.

I am not a fan of Marcus Hayes or his work, but he appears to be on target here.

He calls the Penn State "Defenders" a bunch of sickos who are no better than Sandusky and those who looked the other way while innocent children were brutally raped:

"There is a legion, a Nittany nation, which, has chosen to ignore the rottenness of the kingdom. To justify their belief in a football program that has become their religion and to defend their flawed pontiff, they have buried their heads in all manner of sands. They have defied logic, ignored decency. With terrifying indignation they have convinced themselves that the NCAA and Louis Freeh and The Media somehow needed to tarnish the legacy of Joe Paterno and ruin Penn State.

In their madness, they, too, now must be pitied."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ident-cares-more-about-universitys-image.html

They are also convinced that somehow Paterno's legacy will return to what it was before this was all exposed. They work so feverishly to discount any evidence, any witness in the hope that it will all soon be disproved, and people will say "Oh we had it all wrong, Paterno was 100% innocent and we can all go back to just loving the coach and the man"

They don't even realize that there is no one left outside the den that doesn't think Paterno knew plenty, and should have done more at best, and at worst, think he an accomplice to child rape. Man's legacy is dirt - and the sick part about it is his defenders think that lost legacy, based on a whole lot of 'he said' , is the tragedy in all this. It's not.

So... JoePa is okay because he made half assed reports to PSU administrators? I thought he was the voice of morality in college football. I guess he just punted the responsibility on the big issues and focused on recruiting good players.

He's an F'ng football coach whose record is excellent. Who gave you the right to decide he had some higher obligation. This is what is crazy about fans. Coaches are humans. They are not gods. They coach football. basketball, etc... Some of them are better at that than others. Paterno was better at it than most others. His acclaim is based his results as a coach not on some higher standard that somebody who doesn't matter decides to hold him to after the fact. His reputation should not be sullied without verifiable proof of wrong doing not. Instead his reputation is sullied without verifiable proof that he did or didn't do something that a rabid posse of PSU haters and the child sexual abuse groups believe he had a higher moral standard to do or not do simply because he was a famous football coach. How hypocritical is that?

The NCAA exceeded it jurisdiction in the PSU case. The PSU power to be took the punishment to end the damage it was suffering in the press. That was stupid on their part. There were no allegations that athletes were being abused or doing the abusing. The allegation responded to by the NCAA involved actions Sandusky allegedly took after he was retired. He was not on the staff of the football team at the time. Furthermore, if a coach commits a crime and the crime is allegedly against some third party who is not an athlete what business it is of the NCAA? It is easy to pick on and place blame on dead people who don't have the opportunity to even defend themselves.

I've prosecuted cases. I am completely sick of people prosecuting cases in the press when there isn't evidence to convict with. This is why people get put thru hell only to be found innocent. Prosecutors get pushed by public opinion, because the State or District Attorney is an elected position, to try cases they have no business trying. They risk putting innocent people in jail because a jury finds guilt based on emotion and speculation rather than evidence. Worse yet, if the person if rightfully found innocent and the jury does its job well in terms of basing their decision on the evidence, the prosecutor is made out to be a bad prosecutor. The fact is that the case should have never gotten to trial.

Witness high profile cases where people were fried in the court of public opinion only to be found innocent. Their lives and careers were ruined. Some of them don't have the money like Michael Jackson did, or the Duke lacrosse players did to mount a fervent, effective defense in the face of huge government expenditures to crucify them. Casey Anthony, was very lucky to get off despite the fact there was almost no evidence against her. The only evidence was that she wasn't sad enough after her kids died and that there was a trace amount of some chemical in the rug in the trunk of her car that could've been use to kill the kids. In fact, that chemical was found to be used in the manufacturing the rug. That case should have never gotten to a jury. The guy who shot Trevon Martin in FL was lucky to get off despite virtually no evidence that he wasn't acting in self defense. That case should have never gotten to a jury. BUT the specially appointed State Attorney, Angela Corey had to try the case because of all the public backlash.

People should know better than to believe speculation in the press. For God's sake the press it trying to sell papers, magazines, clicks, etc.... They sensationalize and distort to do so. As if that is some revelation. Yet despite knowing this people with an agenda utilize this bs anyway to further their agenda no matter if the information is false. What do they care who get harmed by it? Furthermore, bozos listen to or read that and use it to reinforce their own preconceived notions rather than dissect it for objective facts. I really pray that some of those who are quick to rush to judgement or have an agenda they push even at the expense of innocent people by trying innocent people in the press get to experience what it is like to get falsely accused and tried by the press and public opinion based on speculation, prejudice and hearsay. Maybe that pressure will be so great as to generate a criminal indictment or filing by the DA. Then they can have the pleasure of paying a defense lawyer everything they own to defend their innocence in the face of speculation, prejudice and hearsay rather than facts.

He's an F'ng football coach whose record is excellent. Who gave you the right to decide he had some higher obligation. This is what is crazy about fans. Coaches are humans. They are not gods. They coach football. basketball, etc... Some of them are better at that than others. Paterno was better at it than most others. His acclaim is based his results as a coach not on some higher standard that somebody who doesn't matter decides to hold him to after the fact. His reputation should not be sullied without verifiable proof of wrong doing not. Instead his reputation is sullied without verifiable proof that he did or didn't do something that a rabid posse of PSU haters and the child sexual abuse groups believe he had a higher moral standard to do or not do simply because he was a famous football coach. How hypocritical is that?

The NCAA exceeded it jurisdiction in the PSU case. The PSU power to be took the punishment to end the damage it was suffering in the press. That was stupid on their part. There were no allegations that athletes were being abused or doing the abusing. The allegation responded to by the NCAA involved actions Sandusky allegedly took after he was retired. He was not on the staff of the football team at the time. Furthermore, if a coach commits a crime and the crime is allegedly against some third party who is not an athlete what business it is of the NCAA? It is easy to pick on and place blame on dead people who don't have the opportunity to even defend themselves.

I've prosecuted cases. I am completely sick of people prosecuting cases in the press when there isn't evidence to convict with. This is why people get put thru hell only to be found innocent. Prosecutors get pushed by public opinion, because the State or District Attorney is an elected position, to try cases they have no business trying. They risk putting innocent people in jail because a jury finds guilt based on emotion and speculation rather than evidence. Worse yet, if the person if rightfully found innocent and the jury does its job well in terms of basing their decision on the evidence, the prosecutor is made out to be a bad prosecutor. The fact is that the case should have never gotten to trial.

Witness high profile cases where people were fried in the court of public opinion only to be found innocent. Their lives and careers were ruined. Some of them don't have the money like Michael Jackson did, or the Duke lacrosse players did to mount a fervent, effective defense in the face of huge government expenditures to crucify them. Casey Anthony, was very lucky to get off despite the fact there was almost no evidence against her. The only evidence was that she wasn't sad enough after her kids died and that there was a trace amount of some chemical in the rug in the trunk of her car that could've been use to kill the kids. In fact, that chemical was found to be used in the manufacturing the rug. That case should have never gotten to a jury. The guy who shot Trevon Martin in FL was lucky to get off despite virtually no evidence that he wasn't acting in self defense. That case should have never gotten to a jury. BUT the specially appointed State Attorney, Angela Corey had to try the case because of all the public backlash.

People should know better than to believe speculation in the press. For God's sake the press it trying to sell papers, magazines, clicks, etc.... They sensationalize and distort to do so. As if that is some revelation. Yet despite knowing this people with an agenda utilize this bs anyway to further their agenda no matter if the information is false. What do they care who get harmed by it? Furthermore, bozos listen to or read that and use it to reinforce their own preconceived notions rather than dissect it for objective facts. I really pray that some of those who are quick to rush to judgement or have an agenda they push even at the expense of innocent people by trying innocent people in the press get to experience what it is like to get falsely accused and tried by the press and public opinion based on speculation, prejudice and hearsay. Maybe that pressure will be so great as to generate a criminal indictment or filing by the DA. Then they can have the pleasure of paying a defense lawyer everything they own to defend their innocence in the face of speculation, prejudice and hearsay rather than facts.

Well, even Paterno HIMSELF even admitted that "in hindsight, I should have done more."

That's basically what it comes down to, regardless of the hard hitting legal analysis.

Because Paterno ran a "CLEAN FOOTBALL PROGRAM, i.e, recruiting, graduation rates, discipline of players, etc.. and still was successful on the football field you and the court of public opinion now say he has a higher obligation as "the voice of morality in college football"? What hypocrisy! Hell most of his counter parts at his level of success didn't even run clean football programs but now that's not good enough. As I said I'm not a PSU fan but the jealousy and hatred of the haters is unbelievable hypocrisy. It shows how hate filled and jealous people can be.

He's was a football coach not the President of the University. I am positive that there are in the PSU employee manual with directions as to how a university employee is to handle allegation about another PSU employee that 3rd parties bring to them. It is not the football coach's responsibility to make the determination of what the university does with that information once he reports it to them as per those procedures. Someone above him has that responsibility and authority. Yes, after reporting it, since the allegations are against a staff member, he would follow up to determine if he needs to take any disciplinary actions against the staff member. That is all that is in this authority. If he went to the police instead of following internal reporting procedures the BOT would have grounds to dismiss him.

Well, even Paterno HIMSELF even admitted that "in hindsight, I should have done more."

That's basically what it comes down to, regardless of the hard hitting legal analysis.
HE is entitled to hold himself to any standard he wants to. It is admirable for him to do so. That does not mean that he should be villainized for not meeting his own higher standards. Almost everybody after the fact can say they wished they had done more about something. That does not mean they should be villainized for not doing so. He was a frigging great football coach who was philanthropic and ran a clean yet very successful football program. That was the basis for the admiration he inspired. Suddenly, he' supposed to be a model of sainthood? What hypocrisy!

Because Paterno ran a "CLEAN FOOTBALL PROGRAM, i.e, recruiting, graduation rates, discipline of players, etc.. and still was successful on the football field you and the court of public opinion now say he has a higher obligation as "the voice of morality in college football"? What hypocrisy! Hell most of his counter parts at his level of success didn't even run clean football programs but now that's not good enough. As I said I'm not a PSU fan but the jealousy and hatred of the haters is unbelievable hypocrisy. It shows how hate filled and jealous people can be.

He's was a football coach not the President of the University. I am positive that there are in the PSU employee manual with directions as to how a university employee is to handle allegation about another PSU employee that 3rd parties bring to them. It is not the football coach's responsibility to make the determination of what the university does with that information once he reports it to them as per those procedures. Someone above him has that responsibility and authority. Yes, after reporting it, since the allegations are against a staff member, he would follow up to determine if he needs to take any disciplinary actions against the staff member. That is all that is in this authority. If he went to the police instead of following internal reporting procedures the BOT would have grounds to dismiss him.

Paterno was the de facto President of the University. He WAS Penn State.

He also had no business being head coach for the final decade of his tenure.

Consider this. In 2004, the AD scheduled a meeting at Paterno's house to discuss his transition plan.

Paterno summarily threw them out when the subject of retirement was broached.

What does that tell you about who had the power at that time? Certainly not the stooge AD or the administration.

In fact, the President of the university may have been at that meeting as well.

Paterno did what he was legally required to do and that was it. He did the bare minimum. And in my estimation he did not have the wherewithal to follow up when it became apparent that nothing was being done about the fact that the university was harboring a child rapist. That is an indictment of the administration who allowed him to remain as coach when he was clearly out to lunch.

HE is entitled to hold himself to any standard he wants to. It is admirable for him to do so. That does not mean that he should be villainized for not meeting his own higher standards. Almost everybody after the fact can say they wished they had done more about something. That does not mean they should be villainized for not doing so. He was a frigging great football coach who was philanthropic and ran a clean yet very successful football program. That was the basis for the admiration he inspired. Suddenly, he' supposed to be a model of sainthood? What hypocrisy!

What a bunch of twisted logic. This is why lawyers are despised.

He is entitled to hold himself to any standard he wants to? Wow. You don't think that someone in his position should be held to a higher standard than doing what is required?

How about doing the right thing? Was that too much to ask?

And it turns out that the program wasn't as clean as everyone thought it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT