ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies

I am getting sick of Papelbon complaining. He acts like he is the only guy ever to be stuck on a losing team. Get over yourself.

if he didnt want to become untradable he should not have taken the $18M per. if his salary was more reasonable he would have been traded by now. phillies arent willing to eat most of the money and other teams arent willing to take on an ahole with that kind of salary. i never hear him mention that he makes too much money which is the reason he cant be traded.

To be fair, he has been excellent since he joined the Phillies. You really can't ask for anything more from him. A top closer is just a waste on this team (and has been).

he has been great on the field. off the field he is a bad guy unless your in the media, then he keeps you busy.

his play and inability to be traded proves what a horrible contract that was. another gem by Rueben.

(puts on my 4for4er hat)
It was a crappy contract, but at the time, he thought he had a killer team in place for a couple years and all he needed to keep them there was a stable closer. Lee, Halladay, Hamels and that monster infield. Now only Hamels and the withered husk of Ryan Howard remain.

im headed to reading in August, i hope Crawford is still there. id let him finish the year in AA. he is only 20, no need to rush him or Nola in AAA. Knapp is playing well at AA in Reading. good, the Phils need a catcher badly.

ND - are you from PA? ever been to reading? its a great place. they redid it 3-4 years ago.

I went to a Nola start in Reading about two weeks ago. Good time. I've been up there 3 or 4 times. It's awesome.

When driving from CoP to Reading at what point do you officially cross over into Pennsyltucky? Limerick? Collegeville?

(puts on my 4for4er hat)
It was a crappy contract, but at the time, he thought he had a killer team in place for a couple years and all he needed to keep them there was a stable closer. Lee, Halladay, Hamels and that monster infield. Now only Hamels and the withered husk of Ryan Howard remain.

Even I won't defend this one. What you say is probably his thinking, but you just don't pay a closer that much money for that many years.

they offered Madson something like 4 for 44 right? then his agent leaked it with the hopes of another team raising the price. how did that work out?

ND - Lancaster is where Pennsyltucky starts.

I don't disagree.
But the contract is a dog in context of the team not having any meaningful games to close moreso than his performance.

Pennsyltucky starts before lancaster, bro.

Agree.

And at the end of the day I don't really care who gets paid what in baseball. Also, if they were a winning team then I most certainly wouldn't care. But he still produces and can't be moved that easily because of it.

isnt the long term future of the team more important than the money? the phils have plenty of money, they could easily eat most of that contract if they felt they could get a prospect(s) back that has value, same with Hamels contract.

is Ruben/Gillick stubborn or stupid?

isnt the long term future of the team more important than the money? the phils have plenty of money, they could easily eat most of that contract if they felt they could get a prospect(s) back that has value, same with Hamels contract.
Is Ruben/Gillick stubborn or stupid?
This

I don't believe money is standing in the way. They'll eat some, significant amount if they have to. It's on the prospect end that has them waiting. Nothing wrong with that either. Deadline is 31st. Let's see who flinches first.

No, that's wrong because money has held up a few deals, same with Hamels. Been reported

For the sake of accuracy, burrs is the guy who has been saying for the months the phils do not need to eat on Hamels. We ve debated this since the off season.

the real question is how many of Burrells former bar sluts will be there on the 31st as he goes in the Phillies Wall of Fame. after party is at the Irish Pub on 20th and Walnut. guy is a legend.

the real question is how many of Burrells former bar sluts will be there on the 31st as he goes in the Phillies Wall of Fame. after party is at the Irish Pub on 20th and Walnut. guy is a legend.
God bless him.

No, that's wrong because money has held up a few deals, same with Hamels. Been reported

Don't believe everything you read. It's also been reported that the Phillies aren't opposed to eating money. It's more about the return. It's also about waiting to get McPhail in place.

For the sake of accuracy, burrs is the guy who has been saying for the months the phils do not need to eat on Hamels. We ve debated this since the off season.

I said they don't have to. Not that they wouldn't. I don't care either way. I'm more concerned with getting a fair return for Hamels. Not how much money they might eat.

I said they don't have to. Not that they wouldn't. I don't care either way. I'm more concerned with getting a fair return for Hamels. Not how much money they might eat.
So you don't see the relationship between eating money and getting a better return? That was the entire point of our debate on the subject.

Before this spins out of control, let me attempt to mediate. Burrs understands that there is a direct relationship between money eaten and quality of prospect received, he just wasn't convinced that the Phils would have to fund such a big portion of future Hamels earnings to get a good prospect.

Do I have that right?

So you don't see the relationship between eating money and getting a better return? That was the entire point of our debate on the subject.

No, the entire point of our debate was about did they wait to long to trade him and me saying the Phillies can't afford to give him away and get nothing back. The money part was touched on, but not really the main point.

Before this spins out of control, let me attempt to mediate. Burrs understands that there is a direct relationship between money eaten and quality of prospect received, he just wasn't convinced that the Phils would have to fund such a big portion of future Hamels earnings to get a good prospect.

Do I have that right?

Yes.

In my mind Hamels contract is a bargain today. The proof is out there. If a contending team wants a quality pitcher, someone that pretty much wins if you can get him 3-4 runs (look at career numbers) and a pitcher controlled for the next 3-4 years then pay the piper. A pitcher like this shouldn't come cheap. The Phillies shouldn't have to eat salary, but they aren't in trouble financially, so if takes some of that to happen to get a deal done, then so be it.

No, the entire point of our debate was about did they wait to long to trade him and me saying the Phillies can't afford to give him away and get nothing back. The money part was touched on, but not really the main point.
It was a huge part of my point. I even posted an article specifically discussing how they should eat money to garner a greater return. You're as bad as DMIL in attempts to re-write history.

Yes.

In my mind Hamels contract is a bargain today. The proof is out there. If a contending team wants a quality pitcher, someone that pretty much wins if you can get him 3-4 runs (look at career numbers) and a pitcher controlled for the next 3-4 years then pay the piper. A pitcher like this shouldn't come cheap. The Phillies shouldn't have to eat salary, but they aren't in trouble financially, so if takes some of that to happen to get a deal done, then so be it.
It's all well and good that you think that but the people who actually do the deals have been saying for a year the Phillies need to either reduce their demands or eat more salary. As a result, a deal hasn't been done and Hamels value goes down each day. This was our debate right there. And yet, you still don't understand the relationship between the two issues. Mind-boggling.

It was a huge part of my point. I even posted an article specifically discussing how they should eat money to garner a greater return. You're as bad as DMIL in attempts to re-write history.

I understand you posted an article and its your opinion that they should eat salary. I disagree that they should. However, if takes some of that to get it done so be it. I never suggested that it wouldn't happen. The main gist of my argument was timing and they should get good prospects back.

It's all well and good that you think that but the people who actually do the deals have been saying for a year the Phillies need to either reduce their demands or eat more salary. As a result, a deal hasn't been done and Hamels value goes down each day. This was our debate right there. And yet, you still don't understand the relationship between the two issues. Mind-boggling.

I understand plenty. GMs are trying to fleece RAJ. I get that. I expect this to go down to the final moments when one side will suddenly flinch. Fukking Jeff Samarjda (sp) netted one of the best SS prospects in baseball last year. Hamels is worth at least that. And guess what? If teams aren't going to relinquish top prospects then ****'em. Trot someone else out there for the stretch run.

You pick and choose the articles you want to read. The Phillies have contended all along they are willing to eat salary and they don't believe their demands are unreasonable. You even cited a ridiculous claim about Revere/Seattle not long ago, which was totally made up. Is it a given that other GMs are being forthright here? I doubt it. They feed national guys nonsense to create a dynamic that might help them in the end. It's surprising that yore not sharp enough to see this.

What level of return should the Phillies hold out for? A super prospect that is near-ML ready? two?

It all depends how deep a team's system is. If it's a team that has 5-7 guys in top 100, then it doesn't have to be their top guy. If it's a team that only has a couple of guys in top 100, then they have to be included. They're prospects and there are no guarantees. If a team's top prospect or two is returned and they fail to live up to billing, then I can live with it. But in no case do I want to see a report that the Phillies trade Hamlets for another team's #4, #9, and #18 top prospects. No. You don't get to keep your top three prospects and get Cole Hamels and have Phillies eat money along the way. **** outta here. It's not unreasonable. GMs are trying to bully RAJ and he's not even going to make the final decision.

This guy friggin kills me. KILLS me.

Shut up, Chick.

The basis of our discussion was primarily about them waiting too long and what they should get back. The money has always been secondary to me. IN MY OPINION I don't think they should eat a dime, but I understand why they would to get a deal done and fetch back a better haul. I never said they wouldn't. I said they shouldn't have to. Not hard to understand, so I don't give a flying **** what kills you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT