ADVERTISEMENT

Roll The Tanks Back Out

Ig
I have watched enough basketball to know even if Tim Duncan was injured he would have been the 1st pick in the NBA draft that year. Teams were lining up to tank for him and him alone. It took one team 10 years to get back from not winning the draft and getting at top 3 pick. Embiid was a top 3 pick.

All of you guys make it sound like injuries are the reason why you don't have 3 all-stars and are a perennial title contender ever year.

Just stop.

Ignore Nardi for he's here to troll. Doesn't like the NBA. Doesn't even watch it. He's s fringe hoops fan based on his commentary.

A dno one is making it sound like that, Nardi. You just made that up.

I have watched enough basketball to know even if Tim Duncan was injured he would have been the 1st pick in the NBA draft that year. Teams were lining up to tank for him and him alone. It took one team 10 years to get back from not winning the draft and getting at top 3 pick. Embiid was a top 3 pick.

All of you guys make it sound like injuries are the reason why you don't have 3 all-stars and are a perennial title contender ever year.

Just stop.

You never make any statements yourself, all you do is wait for an opportunity to call out someone saying something questionable and try to appear smarter for doing so. I know the Sixers suck and will continue to suck barring a miracle. I'm talking about Joel Embiid the prospect, not Joel Embiid the 76er - something you aren't even capable of fathoming cause you see the world through more of a CoP lens than I do at this point

Sweet straw man!

My single point is that you can not consider Embiid the "right pick" if he never suits up. At that point, you gambled and lost. Man up and admit the mistake, don't just keep telling yourself that you played it right.

I've said that I wish Hinkie made a different selections multiple times in this thread already.

A mistake was made.

Just stop.

You are so dense man. "Tim Duncan's shooting touch" does not embody Tim Duncan the player. You love making a big fuss out of things - one of the bigger drama queens on the board.

I've said that I wish Hinkie made a different selections multiple times in this thread already.

A mistake was made.

Fair enough - Not sure why you jumped down my throat when I made my comment then. Whatever, we agree that a mistake was made. Let's hope that we can re-visit it at some point and say otherwise, but that is becoming less and less likely.

Sweet straw man!

My single point is that you can not consider Embiid the "right pick" if he never suits up. At that point, you gambled and lost. Man up and admit the mistake, don't just keep telling yourself that you played it right.

Chuck, this is fair. When times passes it may prove to have 100% been the wrong pick. And it's not looking good today.

With that said, I agreed with the pick and would have done the same thing. I think you need to go for home runs that early.

And his career is in serious jeopardy. I'm just going to assume that he'll never really get on the floor in a normal fashion. If he defies those odds and eventually becomes something productive then it's a bonus. I can be optimistic concerning one year, but now another really increases the chances of an injury-plagued career. However long that lasts. It sucks because I thought he had the makings of being a great player.
Actually solid post. This is why I thought it was a bad selection when they did it.

Hilarious that people are citing mock drafts from June 2014 as evidence. The foot injury happened a couple weeks before the draft as I recall. People had just gotten over arguing over whether he was too much of a risk just based on the broken back -- and no even brings that up now. It was a legit question to me whether you take him with the broken back, but a broken back and a broken foot in 6 months for a 7-footer? That should've been the end of the inquiry at no. 3, pass.

The Chad Fords and Bilases of the world are always reluctant to write a 18-yo guy off because of injury, and tend to be optimistic. And maybe they knew that Hinkie had such a hard-on for tanking that they would take him. People making the decisions need to be more dispassionate.

Hilarious that people are citing mock drafts from June 2014 as evidence. The foot injury happened a couple weeks before the draft as I recall. People had just gotten over arguing over whether he was too much of a risk just based on the broken back -- and no even brings that up now. It was a legit question to me whether you take him with the broken back, but a broken back and a broken foot in 6 months for a 7-footer? That should've been the end of the inquiry at no. 3, pass.

The Chad Fords and Bilases of the world are always reluctant to write a 18-yo guy off because of injury, and tend to be optimistic. And maybe they knew that Hinkie had such a hard-on for tanking that they would take him. People making the decisions need to be more dispassionate.
"You don't know anything about basketball" - burrs.

Anybody else think Justin Winslow might be the best pro in the draft, after the history books are dried up?

Anyone want to take this one...

He is smaller than everyone thought he was at Duke. If he does become a quasi-legend (being best in your class usually equates to at least that), he will certainly be a unique one with his stature and skill set. Towns looks miles ahead of everybody else. Hezonja's ceiling looks way higher than Winslow's - even though this is just summer league. I like Winslow a lot, but what is he going to be elite at offensively?

Fair enough - Not sure why you jumped down my throat when I made my comment then. Whatever, we agree that a mistake was made. Let's hope that we can re-visit it at some point and say otherwise, but that is becoming less and less likely.

Did not mean to come off as saying you were wrong, more trying to say that the stance we're taking isn't any worse than the opposite reaction. Insecurity on my part basically

Porzingis blocked 3 Okafor shots the other night. Not a good sign when green Euro PFs are throwing your "polished post game" back in your face.

Hopefully he took advantage of Prime Day:
strength-shoes-old-model.jpg

I've actually been shocked how quick and springy okafor has looked. Even the stiffest of 7'2'' players block shots from time to time.

Not sure Winslow will ever have the offensive game to be the best in the class.

I have a feeling MJ is really going to regret selling low on Noah Vonleh.

Okafor getting his shot block is going to happen, especially at the outset of his career. He plays below the rim. With that said, I think with experience, coaching, and garnering a little more savvy around the hoop can help decrease this rate. He's not used to playing against taller, athletic guys, yes even in summer league they exist. I've noticed a few times where the ball fell to him right at basket and he sort just went up without any regard of who was near him, and it was blocked. Needs more urgency here. I think it will come and at least improve. I don't think he looks in bad shape either and I think he'll improve his body as he goes on. Seems like a coachable kid. Being an elite athlete won't ever be there, so no sense in even worrying about. His footwork, ball skills, and polish around the basket is advanced for a 19-year old. Need to build off of that. I'd like to see more of a motor, too. Go get the ball off the glass and fight a little harder for position. These are things that can improve over time.

Getting your shot swatted, shooting <50% from the field, shooting 39% from the line... IN THE SUMMER LEAGUE. Not a good start. The learning curve is gonna be steep.

I read last night (From national guy) that Summer League results are the last thing you use to gauge a guy's career. At one time Greg Ostertag had Tim Duncan for lunch. We know how that turned out.

Yes, he has parts of his game to improve, but there are things to like, too.

Fair statement. FT% is a concern tho. 5 TO/game too.

Not worried about TOs. FTs absolutely have to improve. Noel's improvement in second half of year is encouraging. So, maybe they can get this to acceptable numbers. His form and touch don't seem too bad. It might just be a case of his hands being to damn big.

You're welcome for ignoring your Tim Duncan comparison.

I wasn't comparing them. I was simply pointing out that Duncan at one time was owned by friggin' Greg Ostertag. I used the writer's example. And I'm Sure there are countless others.

So far Okafor has been compared to Tim Duncan more than any other player on this board. Love it.

It wasn't a player-to-player comparison, tho. It was a Duncan had underwhelming moments in SL comment. Summer League production means very little.

I'm not going to compare Okafor to Duncan because I view Duncan as a top 10 player ever and he's arguably closer to five than ten.

The one comment you can make is that Duncan didn't need to play above of the rim or be ultra athletic to be great. Also, more national pundits have used that comparison than people on this board.

Tim Duncan was a swimmer growing up. He's a very good athlete despite the fact he doesn't jump out of the gym. He was also a dominant defender and rebounder entering the NBA. No one would confuse he and Okafor in those regards. People use Duncan because he's not viewed as a great athlete. However, he's lights years different in the defensive and rebounding aspects of basketball. The people who made those comparisons missed the boat.

Tim Duncan was a swimmer growing up. He's a very good athlete despite the fact he doesn't jump out of the gym. He was also a dominant defender and rebounder entering the NBA. No one would confuse he and Okafor in those regards. People use Duncan because he's not viewed as a great athlete. However, he's lights years different in the defensive and rebounding aspects of basketball. The people who made those comparisons missed the boat.

I think most meant offensively.

That makes sense. Upside would be a poor man's Duncan in that one phase of the game. He'll blow in the other two which is why I'm not high on him.

That makes sense. Upside would be a poor man's Duncan in that one phase of the game. He'll blow in the other two which is why I'm not high on him.

See, blow is too strong. No reason he can't become a good/better rebounder and be serviceable at the other end. Will he excel at every part of the game? No, I doubt it.

I just looked at Duncan's college stats. Yikes.

He played four years. Naturally, his numbers got better every year. Reasonable to suggest Okafor's would have improved each time, too. With that said, Duncan was younger than most college players.

So he'll be a below average player in rebounding and defense and above average offensively. That my friends is not worth tanking. And that's the problem. See, the entire "plan" is based on he and Embiid being an elite players. Neither have played one minute and two Sixer fans already know neither will be that kind of player. So why sugarcoat it?

People forget Duncan was a dominant defender and rebounder. He was dominant. So making a comparison to Duncan and ignoring those two phases of the game is utterly silly. It's like saying everything at the restaurant is great but the food and the service.

I wouldn't call Duncan unathletic. I just don't think he relies on that to be effective. Is he D. Jordan, B. Griffin, A. Davis, etc in routinely hanging on the rim and quickly getting down the court? No. That's what people mean. He's been great based on savvy, smarts, great footwork & positioning, and sticking with his strengths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT