ADVERTISEMENT

76ers off season discussion thread

"I agree, but I never go unwatchable. Still, I hear where you're coming from. Compared to recent years they have been disappointing so far."

I watched a few minutes from multiple series & turned 'em all off. JOKE for those that know the game @ highest level.

Somebody did tell me to check out Spurs..

"I agree, but I never go unwatchable. Still, I hear where you're coming from. Compared to recent years they have been disappointing so far."

I watched a few minutes from multiple series & turned 'em all off. JOKE for those that know the game @ highest level.

Somebody did tell me to check out Spurs..

Well, I disagree with that. But yea, check out the Spurs. GS is ok, too.

I was never discussing Hinkie's process in this thread. How does ADP say it? Oh yea, someone is moving the goal posts.

For the last time. Please, try and listen. I agree with you that they only won because of injuries to Paul/Griffin. I'm not arguing that.

Someone said, Burrs and Gdog think you should tank unless you can win a title. I do not agree with this. I have no problem with younger teams who aren't at their ceiling yet making the playoffs and getting what may be valuable experience for down the road. I offered up POR as an example. That's all I did.

You compared the 2012 Sixers to them. I don't think it's the same for multiple reasons. Now, this is where you ignoring facts comes into play.

Jrue Holiday was a nice player. He was fortunate enough to make an AS thanks to favorable numbers in a weaker EC. He was not considered a star. Damian Lillard is a star! It's a fact. Stop comparing the two. It's not close.

Additionally, I never said I didn't want the Sixers to make the playoffs that year. It was a fun season. Beating the Shorthanded Bulls was fun. They tried to build off it by trading for a center that was 20-10. It failed. So, they were stuck with Jrue-Turner-Thad and a 34-48 team. Maybe, they would have made the playoffs then we could draw a better comparison.

To explain why it's relevant, here you go.

Your analysis of one situation is an analysis of another. It's not perfect, but it's a franchise at an inflection point that has to make a decision on what to do - build up or break down and rebuild. The Blazers were 300-1 odds to win the title at the start of the year in some books, and have had a nice, overachieveing season, but looking to the future, what should they do? Given the two options are a) build up (my plan) or b) tear down (Hinkie's) it's an adequate discussion to compare the two situations. Is it a perfect comparison? Not at all, but the basic premises are still the same, and the Sixers are the best known quantity we have to compare to since they've gone through it in exceptional failure. Team X has pretty defined ceiling but some potential that tops out below (maybe at) top 4 in their conference. What should they do?

Now, onto #FACTS.

First off, can you define younger? You seem to be clutching to that, despite all evidence to the contrary. I've posted the ages above, the Sixers weren't old. By the looks of it, they are approximately the same age as the Sixers were then. About 25, heading into their primes, but mostly known quantities in terms of skills.

Second, I've already conceded that it's not an apples to apples comparison. The similarities are there, and unless you can map out a way to get this team into the NBA finals, what's the point? You've said before that you supported The Process because even with those pieces circa 2012, the ceiling wasn't that high on that incarnation of the Sixers. Why do you give leeway to the Blazers instead? They were both young teams (roughly the same age), both had some talent, but one you said "blow it up", the other you say "let them develop". That's the basic argument; the Blazer's ceiling might be a bit higher than the Sixers, and maybe 4th in the West is better than 6th in the East? Is that an acceptable ceiling?

Third, Portland's CAPSPACE is closer to 40 than 50 assuming it an 89m cap, good for what, 6th best in the league? You're using absolute numbers in an incorrect manner. Saying I have a million dollars in 1950 isn't the same as having a million dollars today. It's intellectually dishonest. A bunch of teams will have CAPSPACE next year. It's not the asset you're portraying it to be.

Further, what impact free agents are going to go to Portland?

Durant? No
Lebron? No
Drummond? Maybe? is this your best bet?
Horford? Maybe?
Derozan? No
Pau? No point
Dwight? Sure, take him, enjoy
Wade? No
Mike Conley? Doesn't make any sense
Hassan Whiteside? Intriguing I guess?

What's the point of CAPSPACE if no one is going to there?

And again, I've conceded that Lillard is the better player of the two. But if the Process is correct, then what's really the point in having the league's 15th best player (Lillard this year) lead your team vs 40th (Holiday 2013)? Trade some first round exits for the chance at players who can win their conference and win titles. Isn't that the entire premise of the process?

I told you why I give leeway to POR. They have already have a star. They have more flexibility in terms of the CAP. They are better than that Sixers team. They didn't go 34-48 this year. What are you missing? Also, when the Sixers beat the Bulls I didn't say blow it up the next year.

Neither one of us have any idea what will be possible via FA or a trade. So, let's not pretend like we do. Put your list away for now.

Look, we don't agree on the teams we are comparing. Let's call it a day.

I'll say it one more time. I'm ok with younger teams, not at their ceiling, and with the ability to further develop and/or add parts making the playoffs.

Also, I agree that there are no guarantees that this POR team ever becomes something better than what you say they will.

Sounds like cap will be at 92 million. I'm
pretty sure 40-45 million and 6th best is better than what the Sixers had in those years. And how do you know no one will go there? You talk about me talking in absolutes. Cmon. We'll see what they can do. But I do know this another viable FA is more likely to go play with Lillard in 2016-17 than a 34-48 Jrue Holiday-led Sixers team. Surely, you won't dispute this.

I love how you conceded that Lillard is the better player. Like you had any choice.

1. Please define younger, you keep dodging that. If you're wrong, just mea culpa your way out of it, no harm no foul in admitting you were wrong. I do it all the time.
2. If you've got 20m less than the Lakers, I don't think that's a very strong position entering Free Agency. I may be wrong, but didn't the Sixers have such low money committed that they were basically at the salary floor?
3. I've just listed the impact free agents above (impact is generous in some cases). I don't see any scenario where they attract the free agents to Portland wherein they have a fighters chance against the currently assembled Spurs or Warriors. I could be wrong, in which case I'll issue a mea gulpa and move on.

The point of all of this isn't to say that Blazers will suck, or that they will contend in the west. The point is to show you're arguing against yourself. You've said ad nauseam that a franchise needs a once in a generation talent to win the thing, and that's the goal. Now, you're saying mid level star is fine, and try to surround him with some free agents, maybe some trades, and let it develop. Its semantics on whether 5th in the west is better than 6th in the east in The Process world. I know you're a fan, and its admirable you'll support the Sixers no matter what they do, because, well, being angry for season after season is no way to live life. But you can't be so blind as to not see the point here.

Dude, I said young team. Not all "young" teams are created equal. On top of that, it's only one of the components. Were the the Sixers young after 12-13 season? Yes. But they were also 34-48, lacked a star players, and didn't have as much financial flexibility as this POR team does.

No, I didn't say all of that.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing right now. We don't agree. Move on.

Put it this way. If in the next 2-3 years the Sixers are lucky enough to make the playoffs with a relatively young team, a possible star, and potential to develop/build, then by all means I will be encouraging playoffs.

I just have no interest of a team at its ceiling, with no better than 6-8 seed for 5 straight years.

Last edited:
Further, what impact free agents are going to go to Sixers

Durant? No
Lebron? No
Drummond? No point.
Horford? Maybe?
Derozan? Maybe...
Pau? No point
Wade? No
Mike Conley? Maybe?
Hassan Whiteside? Intriguing I guess? Doubt it.

Me:You've said ad nauseam that a franchise needs a once in a generation talent to win the thing, and that's the goal.

You: No, I didn't say all of that.

Here's a fact for you. Arguably, every NBA championship team since 1980 HS had a generational type player and at least one other high level All-Star on its roster except for the 2004 Pistons.

Top picks and other top 5 picks to headline titles:

Jabbar
Magic
Worthy
Bird
McHale
Isaiah Thomas
Jordan
Olajuwon
Robinson
Duncan
Shaq
Wade
James
Bosh
Garnett
Allen

Players not top 5 but were generational:
Kobe
Dirk
Curry (will be if not already)
Julius
Moses
Pierce

Rather impressive list. Oh yea, pretty much covers every titke over the last 35 years.

So yeah, you did say that. But let's not let facts get in the way, even when they come from your own mouth.

Me:You've said ad nauseam that a franchise needs a once in a generation talent to win the thing, and that's the goal.

You: No, I didn't say all of that.

So yeah, you did say that. But let's not let facts get in the way, even when they come from your own mouth.

Well, it doesn't hurt to have that player and it certainly increases the odds, but you might be able to be in play for a title with a couple of AS who aren't "generational" and a good supporting cast.

Anyway, we're wat ahead of the game here when looking at POR. They are still infantile stages of their development. It was ok that they made the playoffs this year. Just Lea e it at that.

Dude, you're being really douchey right now.

Further, what impact free agents are going to go to Sixers

Durant? No
Lebron? No
Drummond? No point.
Horford? Maybe?
Derozan? Maybe...
Pau? No point
Wade? No
Mike Conley? Maybe?
Hassan Whiteside? Intriguing I guess? Doubt it.

And why do you care other than to be a dick in conversations between people who actually enjoy the NBA?

And why do you care other than to be a dick in conversations between people who actually enjoy the NBA?
You posted a free agent list and who would go and wouldn't go to Portland. I did the same for the Sixers. Just managing expectations.

Well, it doesn't hurt to have that player and it certainly increases the odds, but you might be able to be in play for a title with a couple of AS who aren't "generational" and a good supporting cast.

Anyway, we're wat ahead of the game here when looking at POR. They are still infantile stages of their development. It was ok that they made the playoffs this year. Just Lea e it at that.

Dude, you're being really douchey right now.

I'm not being douchey. What have I said that's douchey? Looking up facts and prior posts?

If you're not held accountable when you spew nonsense, you can't have serious conversations. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching you flip and flop and squirm when presented with facts and your own posts from what, a week ago?

hEY BURRSIES, LET'S GET BACK TO BUSINESS. lET ME KNOW WHEN YOU PLAN TO START TUNING INTO GAMES.

Spurs-thunder was entertaining. Not as good as pens-caps, but good.

Cavs just put on a clinic in the first half. 18 made 3's. Silly shooting.

JR Smith, when's he's on, is ridiculous. He's better on tough shots somehow (it seems like).

Like I've said for years, everyone in the East may as well just tank. Wait for Lebron to get old.

Lebron playing well, but I don't get that statement based on one game. Lebron isn't even the best player on his team tonight.

Lebron playing well, but I don't get that statement based on one game. Lebron isn't even the best player on his team tonight.

Its not based on one game. It's based on everything as a whole. Unless you're the Warriors or Spurs and are loaded beyond belief you're not beating the dude 4 times.

Low level of East Conference basketball is pathetic.

& brain-dead 76'er fans can't figure out how to put together a strong hoops team.

Eye-yi-yi we live in strange times

The first half was as entertaining a first half as you can watch for a blowout. Not sure what you were watching.

Low level of East Conference basketball is pathetic.

& brain-dead 76'er fans can't figure out how to put together a strong hoops team.

Eye-yi-yi we live in strange times

you forgot to update your narrative. look at the standings this year.

Kyle played better tonight. Still shit poorly, but hit some big shots late.

It's really tough to watch him struggle, but he's stepped up other ways. Also you have to respect how he hasn't shied away from any of it.

Toronto had far too many problems in those first 2 home games to feel confident about their chances in this series.

Saying LeBron is 'playing well' is like saying Nova had a 'good year'. Guy is out of his friggin mind right now.

Caught the second half of the Raptors game. Kyle put in 29 I think, 33 for the game, and single handedly lifted the Raptors to the road win. Really happy he got it back. He needed a performance like that.

Tor and Mia could play 100 times and would probably split 50-50.

Well that was...ridiculous. Just completely unreal.

TNT postgame crew was speechless. That overtime, holy hell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT