ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Free Agency

Burrs5

VUSports.com All-American
Jan 24, 2016
Just a couple of days away.

Dwight Howard has meetings set up with BOS & ATL.

Tim Duncan opted in at 5.6 million, but could still retire.

The Spurs interest in Mike Conley has been overstated according to some.

Reactions: kjbert
the only real players in free agency that really matter are:

Where will KD land?
Will Lebron leave Cleveland
Will Cleveland now sign Wade (trade Love) that he is about to leave Miami or will Lebron go back to Miami and Wade resign?

then you have some smaller stories like Harrison Barnes and Dwight Howard.

i love NBA free agency, GMs sign mediocre players to huge deals then two years later they are forced to trade their expiring contract. the expiring contract is the most valuable piece of most teams.

James isn't going anywhere.

Whispers are that MIA isn't handling the Wade situation in a manner that his camp likes.

KD meeting with OKC tomorrow. Then, he flies to CoDB to meet with GS, then Spurs. A few other teams might get meetings, too.

Durant isnt going anywhere. He orchestrated that Oladipo trade, they're good friends. OKC has a stacked team, no reason to leave there as Golden St figures to be weakened some by free agency.

if Durant resigns itll be for two years with the 2nd a player option. i cant see him staying with OKC if they dont make the finals next season. he is 10 years into his career and has been to the finals once.

OKC won that trade on paper. lets see how it plays out. KD on the Spurs would be scary. no way Duncan comes back. Manu might cause his role is limited off the bench.

Why wouldn't Duncan come back? I can see West not coming back, but if anything Duncan gets less minutes next season and West and Boban get more. He's only making 5 million or something like that.

I see Wade joining LeBron in Cleveland.

Why wouldn't Duncan come back? I can see West not coming back, but if anything Duncan gets less minutes next season and West and Boban get more. He's only making 5 million or something like that.

I see Wade joining LeBron in Cleveland.

I'm pretty sure West has opted out. He took a pay cut last year. Sounds like it's time to recoup some of that flow this offseason.

Boban is a restricted FA. Spurs made qualifying offer, but I wonder how extensive this guy's interest will be.

Wade does this each time his contract is up. He ramps up the public pressure to squeeze a few more million. Is he really going to leave south beach and no state tax Florida over a few million bucks?

Wade does this each time his contract is up. He ramps up the public pressure to squeeze a few more million. Is he really going to leave south beach and no state Florida over a few million bucks?

Probably not. But if a location with a serious chance to win one more opens up, then I could see him doing it.

The Lakers don't get a meeting with KD.

Plenty of locations with a chance to win and money. Are they going to give d wade the 18-20 million he wants? I think that is unlikely for what he is at this point.

Reactions: tomjackleman
if im the owner/GM of a team in the East I blow it up and plan for 2020. no one is beating Lebron in the east so why bother spending $20M on a player. Bosh is unlikely to return, Deng and Whiteside are FAs. why spend all that money to come in 3rd or 4th place in the east. makes no sense. i can see Wade in Cleveland.

if im the owner/GM of a team in the East I blow it up and plan for 2020. no one is beating Lebron in the east so why bother spending $20M on a player. Bosh is unlikely to return, Deng and Whiteside are FAs. why spend all that money to come in 3rd or 4th place in the east. makes no sense. i can see Wade in Cleveland.

So you're saying Hinkie had it right along?

So you're saying Hinkie had it right along?

the Hinkie plan was the correct move. you either stink or are a top 5 team. in the NBA anything in between will get you no where. my gut feeling was that Hinkie never planned to field a team. he kept drafting, trading, drafting, trading and never really acquired anyone of significance. i guess Simmons is the one guy who has value. there is one NBA player on the predraft roster in Okafur and they did everything they could to trade him. so that tells me its really hard to build in the draft and Hinkie kept hoping theyd get #1 in each years draft and they would eventually land a game changer.

how does Minn take Flynn and Rubio back to back over Curry. how is that possible? how can you take 2 PGs and pass up on a shooter. ill never understand that thinking. i only wish they had 3 in a row to see if theyd pass up on Curry again.

look at their guards, not one shooter on there at the time of the draft.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2009.html

I'm going to enjoy just decent players being paid more than the best players on some teams in the short term. Then, better players are going to want a similar, better contract in 1-3 years, but it's going level out and some of these guys won't get it.

sometimes other teams stupidity leads to your success. the Warriors have put together a nice team but teams passing up on Curry (7) and Thompson (11) is ridiculous. everything you read abotu Curry says everyone saw his skill but people were so afraid of his body. they said that in in HS they said that in college - what happened? two time MVP, best shooter in the world.

I cant wait for Phil to sign Howard and try and run the tri angle through him and Marsh Melo

Curry had some significant ankle concerns early on. Also, I don't care what anyone says. No way anyone knew Curry be this good. Luck was involved, too.

no question luck was involved and Curry has outperformed all expectations but look who was drafted ahead of him. Thabeet, Evans Flynn Rubio? come on. ok maybe Evans cause of his body type but the other three stink. two are out of the league and Rubio stinks. Harden and Griffin were the other two drafted a head of him. who would you rather have of the 6? Thabeet literally could not play basketball and he goes #2 cause he is tall. makes me think Jim Lynam is every teams GM

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
If the Knicks sign Noah's corpse for 100M I'll fall outta my chair from laughter.

No. That was the year when the tanking would end. Not when the team was gonna truly compete. It was always going to be a 3-year blow up.

Here's a quote from Hinkie a week before he resigned from a story that came out today in ESPN the Magazine.

"I think things are going to feel very different very soon for our fans, our players, our coaches, our staff," he said. "I think people haven't fully realized what different level of talent is about to hit our team in a variety of ways -- draft, free agency, trade. I think you'll see a real change in how we approach things going forward. We'll be increasingly focused on fit."

Here's a quote from Hinkie a week before he resigned from a story that came out today in ESPN the Magazine.

"I think things are going to feel very different very soon for our fans, our players, our coaches, our staff," he said. "I think people haven't fully realized what different level of talent is about to hit our team in a variety of ways -- draft, free agency, trade. I think you'll see a real change in how we approach things going forward. We'll be increasingly focused on fit."

it would seem more prescient had he alluded to embiid
or taken porzingis

The NBA boned him so hard.

no question luck was involved and Curry has outperformed all expectations but look who was drafted ahead of him. Thabeet, Evans Flynn Rubio? come on. ok maybe Evans cause of his body type but the other three stink. two are out of the league and Rubio stinks. Harden and Griffin were the other two drafted a head of him. who would you rather have of the 6? Thabeet literally could not play basketball and he goes #2 cause he is tall. makes me think Jim Lynam is every teams GM

Curry is/has been the perfect storm in a variety of ways. Increased 3 point shot attempts started its current spiking in 2005. Curry was drafted in 2009. So the value of the 3 ball was known but it wasn't viewed as the asset it is today. Then teams look at him being a 3rd year guy. Who was the last third year player to become a star? I think it was Duncan who was drafted in 97. So you look at him as a 21 year old and you're right to be concerned he may never get stronger.

Then the injuries. As has been highlighted in curry stories before - recovering from the injuries actually mass him a better player because his trainer had him focus on core strength and hip flexibility which made him even shiftier. Clearly a special player from day 1 at davidson, but a lot of things fell into place. Guys ahead of him were garbage. But the typical guy with similar concerns doesn't pan out either.

What's even crazier is that right after him the next 3 year college guy became a star - Klay Thompson.

GSW really is a rare breed in today's NBA - but I'd say that's what makes them foolish to try to duplicate. Those gems rarely fall.

Curry is/has been the perfect storm in a variety of ways. Increased 3 point shot attempts started its current spiking in 2005. Curry was drafted in 2009. So the value of the 3 ball was known but it wasn't viewed as the asset it is today. Then teams look at him being a 3rd year guy. Who was the last third year player to become a star? I think it was Duncan who was drafted in 97. So you look at him as a 21 year old and you're right to be concerned he may never get stronger.

Then the injuries. As has been highlighted in curry stories before - recovering from the injuries actually mass him a better player because his trainer had him focus on core strength and hip flexibility which made him even shiftier. Clearly a special player from day 1 at davidson, but a lot of things fell into place. Guys ahead of him were garbage. But the typical guy with similar concerns doesn't pan out either.

What's even crazier is that right after him the next 3 year college guy became a star - Klay Thompson.

GSW really is a rare breed in today's NBA - but I'd say that's what makes them foolish to try to duplicate. Those gems rarely fall.

Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Dwayne Wade, Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Carlos Boozer were all third year players when they were drafted. That doesn't include the 4th year bias when you can add some more like Brandon Roy.

Curry didn't have ankle injuries in college, so you can't point to his ankle injuries either for his spot in the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT