ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies' Daily Minor League Report

As a youngster I watched Mike Bieliecki dominate the Reading Phils. And then he went and sat in the stands with his parents for the 2nd game of the doubleheader and signed baseballs. Got a foul ball down the right field line.

#whitecatmemories

I'll say one thing about Crawford, he's only hitting .265 but his OBP is right around .400.

There was an interesting article on CSN Philly the other day how the Phillies as an organization have shifted their development towards controlling the strike zone. They are putting more value in this then they ever have in the past and it has lead to a good amount of success in their minor league teams. I have always been one to poo poo the walks in favor of SLG, but I think it's clear now that its the walks, good ABs etc that lead to offense. Sure the Phillies had guys hitting 30 bombs a year and always played for the 3 run HR during their run under Charlie Manuel, but it was guys like Werth, Utley, Burrell etc drawing walks that lead to the Howard 3 run HRs.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...-key-advancement-phillies-minor-league-system

There was an interesting article on CSN Philly the other day how the Phillies as an organization have shifted their development towards controlling the strike zone. They are putting more value in this then they ever have in the past and it has lead to a good amount of success in their minor league teams. I have always been one to poo poo the walks in favor of SLG, but I think it's clear now that its the walks, good ABs etc that lead to offense. Sure the Phillies had guys hitting 30 bombs a year and always played for the 3 run HR during their run under Charlie Manuel, but it was guys like Werth, Utley, Burrell etc drawing walks that lead to the Howard 3 run HRs.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...-key-advancement-phillies-minor-league-system
Bobby Abreu was the original high on-base modern Phillies player. Averaged 107 walks a year in 8 CoP seasons. Thome walked a ton, too.

It's crazy that the CoPhillies made their bones by getting on base and completely ignored/failed in instilling that in their farm system during the same time... all while it became standard practice in all of baseball.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Bobby Abreu was the original high on-base modern Phillies player. Averaged 107 walks a year in 8 CoP seasons. Thome walked a ton, too.

It's crazy that the CoPhillies made their bones by getting on base and completely ignored/failed in instilling that in their farm system during the same time... all while it became standard practice in all of baseball.
Forgot about Abreu mostly because the Phillies started to get good (actually making playoffs) once they traded him. But he worked a count better than anyone I can remember outside of guys from the 93 Phillies like Dykstra, Kruk, Hollins etc.

Spot on about the farm system - whomever was in charge of that all those years is the prime culprit for the Phillies dropping off. Even all the guys they moved to get the Oswalts, Pences etc turned out to be terrible.

You've also got to wonder how much of it was masked by coaching at the MLB level, too. I would consider Charlie Manuel to be a legendary hitting instructor. He was in the twins' minor league system during the development of their playoff teams of the late 80s/early 90s. Then those juggernaut Indians offenses and the WFCs.

Phils minor leaguer loses an eye in a freak accident while working out. Matt Imhof was working with resistance bands at the other team's stadium and the wall connection mount broke and struck him in the eye. Think it was a Milwaukee farm team stadium in Florida.

Reactions: NickleDimer
They may be focusing on controlling the strike zone, but all of their big names outside of Crawford strike out too much and don't walk nearly enough.

Phils minor leaguer loses an eye in a freak accident while working out. Matt Imhof was working with resistance bands at the other team's stadium and the wall connection mount broke and struck him in the eye. Think it was a Milwaukee farm team stadium in Florida.
That's such an awful story. Gonna be tough for a lefty to pitch without a right eye.

Burrs, sounds like Hoskins is limited athletically but Cozens can run. Do you know if Hoskins is a decent defensive 1st baseman? Seems both players are surprising with their play thus season, neither were highly rated.

Burrs, sounds like Hoskins is limited athletically but Cozens can run. Do you know if Hoskins is a decent defensive 1st baseman? Seems both players are surprising with their play thus season, neither were highly rated.

Yea, I don't know anything about his defense. He's a big guy at 6'4, 225-lbs. I read that Cozens is a good athlete, with a plus arm.

Cozens RBI 2B tonight. Followed by a 2-run single by Hoskins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT