ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies' Daily Minor League Report

Anyone been to an Iron Pigs game since Crawford is up or been following him more closely than just game recaps/stats? Any ideas on what the struggle is with him so far? I see that he has 13 BB to 16 SO which is still great to see, but we all knew plate discipline was his strength. Is he just hitting into bad luck or weakly grounding out etc?

One positive over his first 22 games at LV is that he hasn't made any errors.

I think it's just an adjustment period. He's nearly six years younger than the average Triple-A player.

JP Crawford 3-3, BB, 2 runs, two doubles, and a SB.

Reading won and is 47-19 now. Cozens (2-4, 54th RBI). Hoskins 53rd RBI.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Hasn't even been in the system long enough for that storied Phillies farm system "vitamin" program to kick in...

Looks like it's coming up, tho. Alec Asher suspended 80 games.

Also, Roman Quinn missed 7/8 games with a hammy, returned for three innings, and is not on DL with oblique injury.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Asher got pounded around in the bigs last year and obviously thought he needed a little extra giddy-up to make it back. Doh!

What a surprise the dude was CRUSHING IT in the minors this year.

Jake Thompson (6-5, 3.09) stays hot allowing 2 ER over 8 frames tonight. In his last 4 starts he's (3-0). He's thrown 29 innings, allowing just 3 ER and 21 hits over this stretch.

Went to a minor league game in Altoona on Saturday night. Saw the Curve play the Hardford Yard Goats.

I love minor league baseball games. CoDBers probably wouldn't understand why they are gr8, but in my opinion, minor league baseball is one of America's great treasures.

Dylan Cozens hit salami tonight. His 20th. He and R. Hoskins have now combined for 40 HRs, 40 doubles, and 121 RBIs.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Went to a minor league game in Altoona on Saturday night. Saw the Curve play the Hardford Yard Goats.

I love minor league baseball games. CoDBers probably wouldn't understand why they are gr8, but in my opinion, minor league baseball is one of America's great treasures.

Great for young kids especially who don't care about pro sports yet. We go down to see the Wilmington Blue Rocks a couple times a year, great family environment at a fraction of the cost. I know, it's very (suburban) CoP of me, but I don't care. Kids love it and so do I. I hope none of the CoDBers see this post.

Reactions: LizReed
Phillies' #16 prospect Adonis Medina (19-years old) lost a no-hitter with one out in the 9th inning. Playing in short season Williamsport, Medina has not allowed a run in 3 starts. He's worked 21 innings and has allowed just six hits.

Edubray Ramos is a young arm that the team is high on. Over stints at both Reading & LV this year he had impressive numbers. In 26 games he was (2-1) with 10 saves. In 38.2 IP he had a 1.40 ERA, allowing just 24 hits and an excellent 41 K's to just 4 walks.

Phillies' #16 prospect Adonis Medina (19-years old) lost a no-hitter with one out in the 9th inning. Playing in short season Williamsport, Medina has not allowed a run in 3 starts. He's worked 21 innings and has allowed just six hits.

Hard to believe that an organization in this day and age would let a guy throw 99 pitches in a short season game.

Kids are certainly doing that in high school, and Tommy John surgery is at an unprecedented rate. See this article: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...to-combat-the-epidemic-of-tommy-john-surgery/

That being said, the phillies, unlike high school and AAU coaches, have a vested monetary interest in keeping pitchers healthy. I couldn't dig up numbers on how much they paid Medina as bonus money, but he does represent an investment. High school coaches, DGAF if kids get hurt because the coaches let their ego and the chase for glory get in the way of player health.

Kids are certainly doing that in high school, and Tommy John surgery is at an unprecedented rate. See this article: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...to-combat-the-epidemic-of-tommy-john-surgery/

That being said, the phillies, unlike high school and AAU coaches, have a vested monetary interest in keeping pitchers healthy. I couldn't dig up numbers on how much they paid Medina as bonus money, but he does represent an investment. High school coaches, DGAF if kids get hurt because the coaches let their ego and the chase for glory get in the way of player health.

So, what would have been an acceptable amount? 89? 79? 69? 19?

Saw a study recently that showed that high pitch count innings cause more stress on the arm than high pitch count outings.
Obviously, they're related, but the gist of it is that 100 pitches in 4 innings is much worse for your arm that 100 pitches in 8 innings. OR 115 pitches with counts by inning of (15, 15, 40, 15, 15, 15) is worse than (20, 20, 15, 20, 20, 20).

I'll hedge and say that I have no idea how many pitches should be thrown by 19 year old, but 99 is probably too many. If the sole reason why he was still pitching at the end of the game was to get the no-no, and they disregarded any pitch count, then I have a problem with it.

NickleDimer provided some interesting research that has some basic logic behind it. 20 pitch innings usually mean baserunners and usually means strike out opportunities, so its easy to see why that would stress an arm

Yeah 20 pitches was a poor number, I should have used a more exaggerated number (30 or so). There has been some talk that arm trouble correlates to high leverage situations. I would imagine that an inning with a higher number of pitches also is a higher leverage situation because there are more baserunners in high pitch innings.

Or something. I feel like spg right now.

Yeah 20 pitches was a poor number, I should have used a more exaggerated number (30 or so). There has been some talk that arm trouble correlates to high leverage situations. I would imagine that an inning with a higher number of pitches also is a higher leverage situation because there are more baserunners in high pitch innings.

Or something. I feel like spg right now.
The study that I'm talking about wasn't based on ever-slippery correlation. It was based on measured fatigue/stress of various arm muscles throughout an outing. It was highest during long innings (i.e. a 35 pitch 3rd inning), not during late innings with relatively low pitch counts. So, perhaps guys that throw 100 and shred their elbows in 3 years do so more because they are wild and produce long innings morseo than overall pitch count or mechanics. There's no definitive answer though.

The study that I'm talking about wasn't based on ever-slippery correlation. It was based on measured fatigue/stress of various arm muscles throughout an outing. It was highest during long innings (i.e. a 35 pitch 3rd inning), not during late innings with relatively low pitch counts. So, perhaps guys that throw 100 and shred their elbows in 3 years do so more because they are wild and produce long innings morseo than overall pitch count or mechanics. There's no definitive answer though.
My nine year old son threw 130 pitches in one day last year, two different games. His arm didn't fall off.

Dylan Cozens hit salami tonight. His 20th. He and R. Hoskins have now combined for 40 HRs, 40 doubles, and 121 RBIs.
Dominic+Brown+Colorado+Rockies+v+Philadelphia+mXb1mktotKvl.jpg

Yea, one highly rated prospect failed. Never seen that before in baseball. I guess the rest of them will, too. Maybe, I should discontinue this report because we could have another Dom Brown situation. I'll think about it.

Oh yea, D. Brown never hit more than 15 at Reading.

Yea, one highly rated prospect failed. Never seen that before in baseball. I guess the rest of them will, too. Maybe, I should discontinue this report because we could have another Dom Brown situation. I'll think about it.

Oh yea, D. Brown never hit more than 15 at Reading.
Don't tell that Burrs hit 15 HR in only 65 games in Reading... roughly the same rate as Cozens' start this year.

Mark Appel had surgery to remove a bone spur today. Season over. Expected to be ready for spring training.

#1 draft pick Mickey Moniak made his debut today in the GCL. He's 1-4 thru 7. Last year's #1 pick Cornelius Randolph returned after a lengthy stint on DL in same game.

The pitcher in question above re: pitch counts was at 80 pitches going into the 9th with a no no. Maybe they left him in a bit too long but he was straight up cruising until then.

Caught a Lansing Lugnuts game last week. Minor league baseball in the midwest in the summer.......it's what the founders envisioned.

Reactions: KennyTheKangaroo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT