ADVERTISEMENT

Working from home, drinking a sugar-free Rockstar (with NFC koozie), taking questions...

Quite true back track there once you saw that ball and I hit the same 60 degree.

I rarely hit my 60 with a full shot. I'd rather hit a knock down 52 and get some spin from the same distance. But when I do take a full swing at the range, it goes 80 yards.

Depends on your swing, but 60s are meant for 45 and in. I've always tried to play the 56 out there.

Depending on how steep your swing is, and how high your ball flight is, whatever works, works.

60 degree wedges shouldn't be limited to 45 yards and in. No reason to limit the club to a pitch shot.

I have vokey wedges for anything 52 degrees and under. And I hit them all except for the 64 for full shots, mid range pitches, shorter approach shots at chips. The only reason I don't hit the 64 full is because I never bothered to practice it.

Why would you limit your 60 degree wedge to 45 yards and in? If you can take a full swing with your 56 degree wedge and hit it about 95 yards, why not just do the same with the 60 degree wedge and hit it 80 yards? It is really not that much different and is more consistent than trying to guess how much to take off a 56 or 52 degree wedge to hit it that distance.

Really doesn't have anything to do with swing angle or ball flight or anything like that. It's pretty much the same swing you would put on your 52 or 56 degree wedge.

methinks somebody never bothered to read this book:

60 degree wedges shouldn't be limited to 45 yards and in. No reason to limit the club to a pitch shot.

I have vokey wedges for anything 52 degrees and under. And I hit them all except for the 64 for full shots, mid range pitches, shorter approach shots at chips. The only reason I don't hit the 64 full is because I never bothered to practice it.

Why would you limit your 60 degree wedge to 45 yards and in? If you can take a full swing with your 56 degree wedge and hit it about 95 yards, why not just do the same with the 60 degree wedge and hit it 80 yards? It is really not that much different and is more consistent than trying to guess how much to take off a 56 or 52 degree wedge to hit it that distance.

Really doesn't have anything to do with swing angle or ball flight or anything like that. It's pretty much the same swing you would put on your 52 or 56 degree wedge.

methinks somebody never bothered to read this book:

Never read that book. It's just a matter of putting too much air under the ball for no reason. A 60+ degree wedge flies so high that you're basically putting too many variables at risk. If you can play a lower shot with spin, it's a higher percentage.

You probably play like my dad given your distances, which is great. He can beat me a lot of the time, and I'm probably the better golfer. But it's more fun generally to hit the long ball.

It's too bad you moved out to Hawaii. A 4.6 golf round would be a blast.

Driver (8 degree loft) -270ish, if I get it real good then 300.

8 iron 165-170
9 iron 160-155
PW 150
52W 120
56W 85
60W 45-in

Generally speaking.

Seriuosly, this right here is a problem.

Inside of 150 you are pretty much guessing at feel. You increase your margin for error so substantially that it is tougher to be consistent.

I listed 7 clubs that I utilize from 150 in. You listed 3. So if we are sitting any given distance inside of 150 yards, I have a pretty good idea of what club will put me within a 30 foot circle of the hole. You on the other hand have a 100 foot difference between your 56 and 52 degree wedges. That's insanity to me.

Anybody hitting their PW 150 yards is a goon. Per shot link the average tour player hits their pitching wedge 122 yards. And I guarantee every single guy on tour could stretch a wedge to 160 yards if they wanted to.

Seriuosly, this right here is a problem.

Inside of 150 you are pretty much guessing at feel. You increase your margin for error so substantially that it is tougher to be consistent.

I listed 7 clubs that I utilize from 150 in. You listed 3. So if we are sitting any given distance inside of 150 yards, I have a pretty good idea of what club will put me within a 30 foot circle of the hole. You on the other hand have a 100 foot difference between your 56 and 52 degree wedges. That's insanity to me.

Anybody hitting their PW 150 yards is a goon. Per shot link the average tour player hits their pitching wedge 122 yards. And I guarantee every single guy on tour could stretch a wedge to 160 yards if they wanted to.
100% agree. I suck with the 52 so I will try to plan to get to 140ish so I can hit a nice PW rather than get closer with the 52. Once I get to the 56 I'm good though.

Never read that book. It's just a matter of putting too much air under the ball for no reason. A 60+ degree wedge flies so high that you're basically putting too many variables at risk. If you can play a lower shot with spin, it's a higher percentage.

I don't put more air under the ball with a 60 degree wedge than a 56 degree wedge. It's not like one is towering through the sky and the other is a low line drive. They are fairly similar shots.

It is more about creating a repeated shot for each club rather than guessing each time. Knowing that a certain swing with a certain club puts you within 30 feet distance-wise each time, and trying to have your bag filled with the clubs that fill most of those gaps up to 200 yards.

If tour players only hit their pitching wedge 122 yards on average, why would a 15 handicap player want to try to hit their PW 150 yards?

These are PGA tour distances per shotlink (4 years ago, so still somewhat current and my clubs are more than 4 years old):

The average shot hit with a driver carried 260 yards and traveled a total of 287.3 yards, including the roll. An average 3-wood shot carried 238 yards and the average 5-wood carried 223 yards. The typical carry for a 3-iron shot was 203 yards; for a 4-iron 189; for a 5-iron 181; for a 6-iron 169; for a 7-iron 160; for an 8-iron 149; and for a 9-iron 136. The average PGA Tour pitching wedge shot carried 122 yards.

think about that. 149 yards out, a tour player is hitting an 8 iron. You are taking a yard off your PW. Something ain't right there.

In every TQ now, saying hat he hasn't seen a TQ as bad as this one. I thought this was a nice TQ that got us through a slow afternoon due to the Jewish holiday.

I don't put more air under the ball with a 60 degree wedge than a 56 degree wedge. It's not like one is towering through the sky and the other is a low line drive. They are fairly similar shots.

It is more about creating a repeated shot for each club rather than guessing each time. Knowing that a certain swing with a certain club puts you within 30 feet distance-wise each time, and trying to have your bag filled with the clubs that fill most of those gaps up to 200 yards.

If tour players only hit their pitching wedge 122 yards on average, why would a 15 handicap player want to try to hit their PW 150 yards?

These are PGA tour distances per shotlink (4 years ago, so still somewhat current and my clubs are more than 4 years old):

The average shot hit with a driver carried 260 yards and traveled a total of 287.3 yards, including the roll. An average 3-wood shot carried 238 yards and the average 5-wood carried 223 yards. The typical carry for a 3-iron shot was 203 yards; for a 4-iron 189; for a 5-iron 181; for a 6-iron 169; for a 7-iron 160; for an 8-iron 149; and for a 9-iron 136. The average PGA Tour pitching wedge shot carried 122 yards.

think about that. 149 yards out, a tour player is hitting an 8 iron. You are taking a yard off your PW. Something ain't right there.
I have no idea where you're getting your yardages from, but from 2013:

Club Carry
Driver (Total) 289
Driver (Carry) 269
3-Wood 243
5-Wood 230
Hybrid 225
3-Iron 212
4-Iron 203
5-Iron 194
6-Iron 183
7-Iron 172
8-Iron 160
9-Iron 148
PW 136

Much closer to me than your bizarre distances.

Not sure where those numbers are from, the ones I used where shotlink from 2011.

And still, these numbers are not close to what you are hitting. Tour pros are PW at 136. 9I from 148. No way a double digit handicap should be hitting PW from 150. Not that you cannot physically do it, but it's just not smart and not a good way to score.

You are using an 8 iron from 10 yards deeper out than a PGA pro. Why would you do that? What do you gain from doing that?

Also keep in mind that this is average. Some guys who are shooting under par at 7300 yd courses aren't even getting up to these numbers.

The stat tracker probably includes punches and things of that nature. It skews the numbers south. A PGA pro probably can hit one up to 190? That's my guess.

My guess is most pga tour pros can hit a 7 iron 200 if they want to crank one.

Lizreed, what are your distances?

Nobody seems to be recalling the fact that my response started by saying I wasn't really sure... maybe I meant 135... point is I don't play enough to remember.

I'll say this at the risk of sounding like WCBurrs with tacos, I'm over 40 and I have never played golf. I considered trying it but I don't have clubs and would slow other guys down.

I have other hobbies but I totally missed the boat on golf. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not.

Maybe I'll do a TQ one day when things slow down at work. I would lie a lot though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT