ADVERTISEMENT

B. Harper???

There is not one person in this thread that stated that Dom Brown was a can't miss prospect, but you can continue to run with this. Unless, Arak did it, but I don't recall.

It was obvious that Mike Trout was special from the get-go and he and Dom Brown should never be in the same sentence. Again, outcast the dude saying this stuff so he can be ridiculed by the BWs community.
Bq3v771IQAAoY__.jpg

No one loves revisionism like the CoP. Lost count on how many times we heard #1 prospect in baseball, but it was pretty much in every CoP Phillies thread for 3 years or so. Till it wasn't.

There is not one person in this thread that stated that Dom Brown was a can't miss prospect, but you can continue to run with this. Well, matty17 did, but he is a lunatic.

It was obvious that Mike Trout was special from the get-go and he and Dom Brown should never be in the same sentence. Again, outcast the dude saying this stuff so he can be ridiculed by the BWs community.
Fixed.

Even burrs was his usual 'we'll see' when it comes to Brown/Harper/Trout comments. Got he ole 'players in baseball develop at different speeds' and 'too soon to tell for sure. Harper is no Mickey Mantle" (Last year he basically was Mantle)

#revisionism.

The line on this board who doubted Harper and called him overrated is very, very long. Mashing 22 homers at 18 years old wasn't enough for most.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Even burrs was his usual 'we'll see' when it comes to Brown/Harper/Trout comments. Got he ole 'players in baseball develop at different speeds' and 'too soon to tell for sure. Harper is no Mickey Mantle" (Last year he basically was Mantle)

#revisionism.
Too soon to tell on Mantle. I will bet adp's house he won't win as many championships.

The only thing I ever worried about with Harper is whether he would stay healthy and hold up after some early injuries cost him time and games. He seems to have worked that out for now, nothing today that would stop anyone from opening up the vault on that basis.

He has consistently mashed the ball whenever he's played.

What's amazing about Harper is he gets so few pitches per game and hits them all hard. His batting eye is Bondseque. To be that disciplined at such a young age is amazing. He's an incredible talent.

So per the original post you made starting this thread just harper.

So, It was brought up to discuss. Not to guarantee that Harper was going to any particular team. I have zero clue what he'll do in two years. ZERO!!!

But, of course, at that time it will be 100% stated that people on here actually said Harper would be a Phillie. That's just how it rolls here.

What's amazing about Harper is he gets so few pitches per game and hits them all hard. His batting eye is Bondseque. To be that disciplined at such a young age is amazing. He's an incredible talent.

Agree

So, It was brought up to discuss. Not to guarantee that Harper was going to any particular team. I have zero clue what he'll do in two years. ZERO!!!

But, of course, at that time it will be 100% stated that people on here actually said Harper would be a Phillie. That's just how it rolls here.

Can we discuss Harper going to the Astros as well? Houston is a little bigger city, has more young talent and loads of money. Harper to Houston?

Some selective anti-CoP memory at work here. Large majority of posts were "let's wait until he does it for more than one season before we put him in Cooperstown". In BW speak, that's too soon to tell.

There were also a good number of "I'd rather have Trout" posts. Still a very arguable point, with no bad answer.

Can we discuss Harper going to the Astros as well? Houston is a little bigger city, has more young talent and loads of money. Harper to Houston?

Yes, you can. Do you have a multiple articles written on such a thing. Just wondering....

And if baseball is good in both the CoP/Houston, then it's better here. And we both know this. Same thing with DC. If baseball is good in CoP/DC, then it's better here. And always will be.

Some selective anti-CoP memory at work here. Large majority of posts were "let's wait until he does it for more than one season before we put him in Cooperstown". In BW speak, that's too soon to tell.

There were also a good number of "I'd rather have Trout" posts. Still a very arguable point, with no bad answer.
No, there was a bunch of guys saying a 19 year old was overrated because he didn't hit 40 homeruns. They simply looked at his numbers and didn't watch him play enough to get it. He didn't put up huge numbers until last year so there is no way your story holds water.

Nope. Your memory is clouded by all of the time you spent researching swing sets. Nobody claimed he was a fraud, nobody.

I never said fraud, those are your words. No one said that. They said overrated and they said it often.

I remember you making many posts comparing the previous year of Trout versus the current year of Harper and noting how comparable they were.

Since nobody was saying Trout was overrated, nobody was saying Harper was overrated. It just fits your narrative 2-3 years later to claim such. (See what I did there dropping in narrative)

I expect better from you. Weak sauce. Hit the showers and return with your fastball. Many here called Harper overrated and they look silly. Again, this is where folks just need to take the medicine and admit when wrong. NBN should be first in line.

No, there was a bunch of guys saying a 19 year old was overrated because he didn't hit 40 homeruns. They simply looked at his numbers and didn't watch him play enough to get it. He didn't put up huge numbers until last year so there is no way your story holds water.

"A bunch of guys" is the equivalent of two or less in BWs terms.

Reactions: LizReed
I remember you making many posts comparing the previous year of Trout versus the current year of Harper and noting how comparable they were.
I don't remember this at all. what I remember saying because arak asked me the question is that I think Harper is the best player in baseball today. However, you cannot argue with Trout's production over the past two years and the start of Trout's career is absolutely better in terms of numbers. However, I believe Harper is the better player today. That's exactly what I said.

I distinctly remember criticizing almost every player on the Nationals' roster two or three seasons ago except Harper. Mostly LaRoche, Desmond, Strasburg, Gio -- and of course the architect -- Rizzo.

Phillies fans have always had a healthy respect for Bryce, recognizing that he's really good, likely to get better and hoping eventually the club will back up the truck and get him to a place where when the team is good, players play in front of packed houses every night.

Pretty sure it was mostly Mets fans saying things like they wouldn't deal a starting pitcher in his mid-20s for him straight up.

I expect better from you. Weak sauce. Hit the showers and return with your fastball. Many here called Harper overrated and they look silly. Again, this is where folks just need to take the medicine and admit when wrong. NBN should be first in line.
I 100% said he was not the next Mickey Mantle. I am going to burrs it (allowed here a lot) and say I will have to wait and see after his career is over.

I distinctly remember 2 or 3 CoPers roasting Harper. It wasn't that he sucked, he just wasn't the wonder boy that they had been told he would be. Burrs was definitely in that small group.

Ohhh, no, no, no no......I'm pretty good at recognizing talent. Now, roasting Nats as a team? YES!!! Busting the balls on the Mickey Mantle comment? YES! Breaking ADP's stones on his Nats' fandom? YES!

But it was easy to see Harper's talent.

In ADP's defense, there were a couple of "bust" comments in the past. I don't recall specifically who and I'm not sure if it was done only to flame. But were there a lot? NO! Was one of them me? NO! In fact, I clearly remember stating that calling him a bust is silly.

I remember months of discussion about ten games over 500 vs ten games in front. I remember months of talk about shutting down Strasburg before playoffs. I remember the Ian Desmond will sign a big contract stuff and even the Matt Harvey vs Harper stuff. I've added 15 lbs of muscle this off season and my fastball has gained several mph. Deal with the high cheese coming your way.

Wait, now CoPers on here are claiming they WEREN'T calling Harper a bust???

You can't make it up. It was in like 2 dozen threads. The classic example being when adp rattled off some stat that only Harper and Mantle shared as 20 year olds, and everyone immediately saying he's a bust and no Mickey Mantle. Fact.

Now they all say they knew Harper was going to be awesome? Wow. If Harper is hitting .220 with 15 homers last year, the board would be all about "I said 3 years ago he was overrated. Good job me!" Just like they all knew Brown was untouchable and can't miss, now claim it was never a sure thing.

Wait, now CoPers on here are claiming they WEREN'T calling Harper a bust???

You can't make it up. It was in like 2 dozen threads. The classic example being when adp rattled off some stat that only Harper and Mantle shared as 20 year olds, and everyone immediately saying he's a bust and no Mickey Mantle. Fact.

Now they all say they knew Harper was going to be awesome? Wow.

This CoP'er is saying he never called him a bust. That would be a fukking silly comment at age 20-21, or whatever he was. This CoP'er does recall a couple of bust comments, tho. Not sure if they were CoP'ers or not. Maybe. This CoP'er is also saying there were very few that went to those depths. Of course, after the fact it's traditional for stuff to get embellished. Par for the course.

Did a lot of Nat's ball-breaking, absolutely, but never sunk to the Harper Bust-ville. No way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT