ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft

It could be genius. Or it could be disaster. As Mike Mayock puts it, "if you're a coach without a QB you're always on the edge of the unemployment line".

Rolling the dice. Maybe it comes up tits.
Didn't you say earlier this year no QB is worth trading up for in this draft because they are all garbage.

I have most certainly watched plenty of tape on a lot of these guys, yes. I love the NFL draft.

its OK to admit you dont know anything about these guys but dont criticize others about it

Your tape isn't exactly aerial angles over at NFL Films, right? Highlights? Just asking....

This is scary. But I won't pretend to know if this kid will be good. No one knows.

Scary? It's sports....

I prefer risky. Then again, there is alecsl of risk with every pick in every draft.

Like you I have no clue if the QB (Probably Wentz) they get will amount to anything. What I do agree with is that if you identify one that you like and you're in position to take/get him, then tiu do it. You trust the evaluators and make it happen. There's a much better rate of success at top of draft than trying to groom 2nd, 3rd, and 4th RD picks.

I'm ok with the real if they truly believe they can land a franchise QB.

I am all for the new QB starting from day 1, at least it brings some excitement to the team.

Unlikely that happens. And tho trading Bradford in the next week isn't impossible, it most certainly won't be easy. The Eagles are on the hook for the 11 million bonus he just signed. Will Lurie simply just pay that for someone else? Also, I tho k I read that DEN, a potential trade partner, doesn't have the space to fit him as of today.

I admit my initial opinion of Wentz is one of horror. But upon hearing about Mike Mayock's heaping praise of him I am more optimistic. Mayock is usually really good at projecting these Qbs. We will see.

What if the Rams wind up taking Wentz instead of Goff? Should the Eagles have simply made the trade with the Titans to guarantee the guy they want?

What if the Rams wind up taking Wentz instead of Goff? Should the Eagles have simply made the trade with the Titans to guarantee the guy they want?

Goff and Wentz have same agent. It appears the Rams agent has basically told the Eagles that the Rams are talking Goff one.

I see that there are two QBs, Goff and Wentz, projected to go in the top 10. People seem pretty split as to which one is better. So what did the Eagles gain by trading from 8 to 2? Wouldn't one of these guys be available at 8?

I hope that the whichever one the Eagles takes sucks and the other guy goes at #8 and is awesome. That would be hilarious.

I see that there are two QBs, Goff and Wentz, projected to go in the top 10. People seem pretty split as to which one is better. So what did the Eagles gain by trading from 8 to 2? Wouldn't one of these guys be available at 8?

I hope that the whichever one the Eagles takes sucks and the other guy goes at #8 and is awesome. That would be hilarious.

Both guys were gonna go before 8. Well before 8. And probably 1-2. So your point is pointless.

Or maybe the Rams take one guy, like when the Patriots took Drew Bledsoe or Colts took Peyton Manning. But then the Eagles take the other guy #2 like when the Seahawks took Rick Mirer or the Chargers too Ryan Leaf.

Has there ever been a time when two QBs went 1 and 2 in the draft and the guy taken #2 ended up good?

Can I please get a list of QBs taken in the top 5 of the NFL draft since 1996? I really want to see how many of them were like David Carr and Jeff George.

Thanks

Remember when the Seattle Seahawks drafted a franchise QB at #2, Rick Mirer, right after the Patriots drafted a future Hall of Famer at #1 in Drew Bledsoe. But then the Saints got stuck with pick #8 and grabbed their own Hall of Famer in Willie Roaf?

Or when the Chragers drafted a franchise QB at #2, Ryan Leaf, after the Colts drafted a future Hall of Fame QB at #1, Peyton Manning, and then the Cowboys got stuck with future pro bowler Greg Ellis at #8?

I am thinking something like that happens this year.

Wentz goes first for sure. Browns are in love with him. they're trading this pick because they don't want Goff.

No. Neither were falling to #8.

Ball thinks everyone should get their franchise QB by stepping in shit and drafting him in the 6th RD.

Or maybe the Rams take one guy, like when the Patriots took Drew Bledsoe or Colts took Peyton Manning. But then the Eagles take the other guy #2 like when the Seahawks took Rick Mirer or the Chargers too Ryan Leaf.

Has there ever been a time when two QBs went 1 and 2 in the draft and the guy taken #2 ended up good?

It's only happened six times ever. Mariota was #2 last year and he looks like he can be good. Mcnabb over Couch is another good example.

Remember when the Seattle Seahawks drafted a franchise QB at #2, Rick Mirer, right after the Patriots drafted a future Hall of Famer at #1 in Drew Bledsoe. But then the Saints got stuck with pick #8 and grabbed their own Hall of Famer in Willie Roaf?

Or when the Chragers drafted a franchise QB at #2, Ryan Leaf, after the Colts drafted a future Hall of Fame QB at #1, Peyton Manning, and then the Cowboys got stuck with future pro bowler Greg Ellis at #8?

I am thinking something like that happens this year.

You're playing percentages. It's safe game to play. I get it. But sometimes you have to take risks. A franchise QB rarely falls into your lap. Ball, we get it. It's risky and certainly without a guarantee. But you don't need to make 12 different posts to get that message across. I agree with you. It's risky.

IMO Goff is 99.9% the Rams guy

also, the Panthers just rescinded the franchise tag on CB Josh Norman, making him a free agent

that is insane

You're playing percentages. It's safe game to play. I get it. But sometimes you have to take risks. A franchise QB rarely falls into your lap. Ball, we get it. It's risky and certainly without a guarantee. But you don't need to make 12 different posts to get that message across. I agree with you. It's risky.

Can I get a list of QBs taken in the top 5 of the draft over the past 20 years?

Thanks

Here are the last ten years

2015:
1 Winston
2 Mariota

2014:
3 Blake Bortles

2013:
None (some guy named EJ MAnnuel was the top QB taken)

2012:
1 Andrew Luck
2 RG3

2011:
1 Cam Newton

2010:
1 Sam Bradford

2009:
1 Matthew Stafford
5 Mark Sanchize

2008:
None (Joe Flacco was top QB taken 18)

2007:
1 Jemarcus Russell
(I like that Brady Quinn was the 2nd QB taken that year)

2006:
3 Vince Young

That list sucks. Haven't the Eagles already shuffled through Vince Young, the Sanchize and Sam Bradford?

Can I get a list of QBs taken in the top 5 of the draft over the past 20 years?

Thanks

1996- none
1997- none
1998- Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf
1999- Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith
2000- none
2001- Mike Vick
2002- David Carr, Joey Harrington
2003- Carson Palmer
2004- Eli Manning, Philip Rivers
2005- Alex Smith
2006- Vince Young
2007- Jamarcus Russell
2008- Matt Ryan
2009- Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
2010- Sam Bradford
2011- Cam Newton
2012- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III
2013- none
2014- Blake Bortles
2015- Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota

Now let's look at super bowl winning QBs in recent years

Manning (#1 pick)
Brady (7th round pick)
Wilson (3rd round pick)
Flacco (late first rounder)
Eli (#1 pick)
Rogers (late first rounder)
Brees (2nd round)
Big Ben (mid first round)
Brad Johnson (9th round)
Trent Dilfer (top 10 pick)
Warner (Undrafted)

So outside of the Mannings, the only other WB taken in the top 10 in the post-Elway era is Trent Dilfer. And we all know Trent Dilfers don't grow on trees.

1996- none
1997- none
1998- Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf
1999- Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith
2000- none
2001- Mike Vick
2002- David Carr, Joey Harrington
2003- Carson Palmer
2004- Eli Manning, Philip Rivers
2005- Alex Smith
2006- Vince Young
2007- Jamarcus Russell
2008- Matt Ryan
2009- Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
2010- Sam Bradford
2011- Cam Newton
2012- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III
2013- none
2014- Blake Bortles
2015- Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota
Not a horrible list but guys like Russell, Young, Akili Smith, Couch, Leaf, Carr, Harrington and RGIII have to scare the crap out of you. Basically a 50/50 shot at best that these high QB picks work out. You have to take a shot at some point.

Thanks B$.

Man, that list sucks. Why would anybody take a QB with a top 5 pick? Take a nice, steady offensive lineman like Orlando Pace to build your franchise around. I know, the jean shorts crown in CoP would freak out, but 5 years down the line they would be happy.

So in the last 20 years, the only decent QBs taken in the top 5 have been Peyton, Donovan, Eli, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck. So maybe one out of four years a decent QB is picked in the top 5? Those odds are horrendous.

If I were looking for a franchise QB I would gladly trade the #2 overall pick for a pair of late first rounders and just select two quarterbacks with those picks. Chances are better that you will draft a guy that is actually good.

Not a horrible list but guys like Russell, Young, Akili Smith, Couch, Leaf, Carr, Harrington and RGIII have to scare the crap out of you. Basically a 50/50 shot at best that these high QB picks work out. You have to take a shot at some point.

And 50/50 at the top of the draft is probably much better odds than at any other point of the draft.

Look, I am a Patriots fan. Which means I am not only a CHAMPION fan and have a heightened understanding of how these things work, but I have also seen the bleak years when we would root for high draft picks hoping that Rocket Ismael and Jeff George were the answer. In those years I learned that there is no quick fix in the NFL like there is in the NBA by drafting Shaq or Duncan or Lebron. Guys like Drew Bledsoe are the exception, not the norm. A quality team is not built on splashy top 10 picks that makes the TMZ-type Tweeter NFL fans drool

Burrsies is like the fantasy football GM who thinks that his first round pick is going to make his season, not realizing that the end of the season champion is the guy who worked the most value out of the middle rounds and the waiver wire during the season. #OnceAChumpAlwaysAChump.com

And 50/50 at the top of the draft is probably much better odds than at any other point of the draft..

Neither you nor CWertz are obviously math majors. I see 24 top 5 QBs in the past 20 years. I see 5 decent players from that group. More like a 20% chance of landing a decent QB in the top 5. Which probably isn't that far off from looking at QBs taken with picks 15-30 in the draft.

Look, I am a Patriots fan. Which means I am not only a CHAMPION fan and have a heightened understanding of how these things work, but I have also seen the bleak years when we would root for high draft picks hoping that Rocket Ismael and Jeff George were the answer. In those years I learned that there is no quick fix in the NFL like there is in the NBA by drafting Shaq or Duncan or Lebron. Guys like Drew Bledsoe are the exception, not the norm. A quality team is not built on splashy top 10 picks that makes the TMZ-type Tweeter NFL fans drool

Burrsies is like the fantasy football GM who thinks that his first round pick is going to make his season, not realizing that the end of the season champion is the guy who worked the most value out of the middle rounds and the waiver wire during the season. #OnceAChumpAlwaysAChump.com

Actually, that's not me at all.

Something that is being overlooked at all that just adds to the comedy is that the Eagles don't even know which of the 2 QBs they are getting.

I could understand trading away a ton of assets if you were absolutely in love with a player and you knew he was the future, like say Drew Bledsoe or Peyton Manning. But in this case they don't even know which one they are getting, they could be getting Rick Mirer or Ryan Leaf.

this is one of the more comical trades I have ever seen.

Neither you nor CWertz are obviously math majors. I see 24 top 5 QBs in the past 20 years. I see 5 decent players from that group. More like a 20% chance of landing a decent QB in the top 5. Which probably isn't that far off from looking at QBs taken with picks 15-30 in the draft.
P Manning, McNabb, Vick, Palmer, E Manning, Rivers, Alex Smith, Ryan, Newton and Luck have all had some success at the very least so that is 10 of them. It looks like Bortles, Winston and Mariota will be at least decent players. There are certainly a lot of flops but that is the NFL for you, nothing is a guarantee.

P Manning, McNabb, Vick, Palmer, E Manning, Rivers, Alex Smith, Ryan, Newton and Luck have all had some success at the very least so that is 10 of them. It looks like Bortles, Winston and Mariota will be at least decent players. There are certainly a lot of flops but that is the NFL for you, nothing is a guarantee.
Fair enough, but do you trade up to 2 to have the guy sit behind a guy making a lot of money? Kurt Warner (I don't think was making that kind of money when Giants drafted Eli), Eli also started in game 10, maybe?

Rivers?
Smith?
Ryan?
Vick?
Palmer?

Would you sign up for this trade if the result was Carson Palmer? Of course not?
And that is one of the guys you are pointing to as a good result.

Thanks B$.

Man, that list sucks. Why would anybody take a QB with a top 5 pick? Take a nice, steady offensive lineman like Orlando Pace to build your franchise around. I know, the jean shorts crown in CoP would freak out, but 5 years down the line they would be happy.

So in the last 20 years, the only decent QBs taken in the top 5 have been Peyton, Donovan, Eli, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck. So maybe one out of four years a decent QB is picked in the top 5? Those odds are horrendous.

If I were looking for a franchise QB I would gladly trade the #2 overall pick for a pair of late first rounders and just select two quarterbacks with those picks. Chances are better that you will draft a guy that is actually good.
You can make a similar list of offensive lineman busts in the top 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT