ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies' Daily Minor League Report

LHV won 2-1 today behind a Nick Williams' 2-run HR (3) and Alec Asher's (3-0, 0.40) 6.2 IP, 1 ER (First run allowed in 27.2 IP). Tommy Joseph is 2-16 over last 4 games, but only has 2 K's in that span, so maybe he's hit into some tough luck.

Rumor circulating that Joseph will be called up this weekend.

Also, sounds like Crawford will make move to AAA in the next couple of weeks.

I'm kinda excited about the Cozens kid------in addition to his power bat, he also has 9 steals already!! He's homered in 5 of his last 6 games, which is pretty impressive at any level! He's not as heralded as Crawford, Williams, or Alfaro but it looks like this kid has a chance to be a "player", either at a corner OF spot or possibly at 1B for the Phils sometime next year. As others have mentioned, I also think Tommy Joseph will get a shot within a week or so to platoon with Howard-------and he could be very useful. Nothing to lose by bringing him up now to see how he handles big league pitching------he certainly cant be any worse than what we've been getting so far offensively at 1B.
The one thing the Phils really cant afford to do is miss on their first pick in this draft. Although its a relatively weak draft, especially at the top------they gotta get this one right because #1 picks dont come around very often. Its just a shame and some bad luck that there arent any "cant miss" prospects this year like Trout, Harper, Strasburg, Buxton or Bryant----but it looks like the best prospects in this draft are all pitchers-------two college pitchers in Puk and Hanson, and a HS lefty from Jersey Jason Groome. And unfortunately right now even those three are all struggling a bit-------so its a situation that's very unsettled as to who the "best" prospect really is, but somehow, someway the Phils have to do their homework, figure it all out before the draft, and most importantly, make sure they do everything they possibly can to get it right!!

Last edited:
The other impressive aspect about couzens is that the eastern league is known as a pitching heavy league, and most of the parks are considered pitcher friendly.

Ben Lively improved to (6-0, 1.53) today with a 7-IP, 4-hit, 12-K outing. Roman Quinn stole his 16th base. Dylan Cozens 2-4, 2B (10).

Jake Thompson (2-4, 3.32) picked up win for LV allowing no runs and just 2 hits over 7 innings. In his last three starts he has allowed just 1 ER in 19 innings. Andrew Knapp his his 5th HR.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Another couple crap starts for Morgan and the grumblings for someone to take his place will grow louder. Whether it's Eflin or Thompson or whoever. I don't think Morgan can hack it at this level. Other than a good start vs Atlanta's AAA lineup he's really struggled to pitch deep into games. This pen is already getting taxed enough.

This thread is a great service, thank you. Great time saver for those interested in the Phils' brightening future.

Reports are that the Phillies are moving away from Groome. Character concerns. I'm told he likes his shots of fireball and smokes too much weed. We'll see on this.....

A person I know.....Usually in the ballpark.

Plus, there have been some baseball guys saying the Phils were moving away from him, too.
Interesting. I have seen that a lot on twitter (moving away from Groome) as well.

Interesting. I have seen that a lot on twitter (moving away from Groome) as well.

It could be that they don't prefer a HS pitcher. Only three taking 1-1 in the last 50 years. Plus, I read that they want the draft pick to be close to the guys they already have in the system, which obviously would mean a college kid.

I saw some highlights of Puk the other day. He gave 1 run (Bomb of HR), 3 hits, and K's 11 in 67 innings vs Vandy the other day. He was hitting 97 and looked kind of nasty to me. Granted, just a couple of highlights.

Plus, there have been some baseball guys saying the Phils were moving away from him, too.
100813-larry-bowa-600.jpg

Reports are that the Phillies are moving away from Groome. Character concerns. I'm told he likes his shots of fireball and smokes too much weed. We'll see on this.....

As long as he pounds them south jersey cheeseburgers with trout, he will be alright.

Reactions: CWertz

This makes sense, once a guy is going to be traded from the CoP, the CoP'ers start to trash him.

Hmmmm, what highschool kid doesn't like his fireball shots and weed these days? And baseball players are up there with hockey players when it comes to throwing back adult beverages.

The Phillies organization has started placing a ton of value on pitching since before the Amaro change-over. The more quality pitching talent you have in your minor league system the better the chances are of developing multiple top of the rotation starters. It also allows you to trade for bats. I'd be shocked if they didn't go with a pitcher with the first overall pick. I have no preference between Groome and Puk as I get both have their positives and negatives. If there was power bat like Kris Bryant, who isn't far out from contributing in the big leagues, I would lean in that direction but as of right now there isn't. So take the pitcher.

I read that too....but I am not too optimistic about him making a return this season and to be honest I am worried about him next season too. A wrist injury is very tough to recover from especially for a "power hitter". Mark Teixeira said it took him about 18 months to finally get back to normal.

http://articles.philly.com/2016-03-15/sports/71513907_1_wrist-18-months-aaron-altherr
I figure if he's getting a few swings in on June 1, he might squeeze in a month of ball at Reading. Texiera was much older.

I figure if he's getting a few swings in on June 1, he might squeeze in a month of ball at Reading. Texiera was much older.
True - and he says that he is a "wrist swinger" in that article and I have no idea if Altherr is or not. But I agree, if he can get any sort of playing time this year it is a plus.

It sounds like Asche will be up soon and take over in LF with Goedell moving to RF and Bourjos to the bench. I guess Lough will be sent back down? I really have no confidence in Asche, but who knows. There have been times throughout his career when he has looked decent enough at the plate with a nice and compact, quick swing. Almost Chase Utley-esque. What they have out there is slop now so can it be worse? Goedell has been doing better lately, but he still seems like nothing more than a singles hitter.

Reading (25-13) won 9-1 behind Nick Pivetta's (4-2, 3.27) 2-hitter, 0 ER, 6 K's over 7 innings. JP Crawford with 3 hits and 3 RBIs. Roman Quinn stole his 17th base. Dylan Cozens with 10-gm hitting streak went 2-5, 2B (12). Jorge Alfaro got a HR.

Alec Asher had a perfect game they six, but gave up 4 runs (2 HRs) in 7th for a ND in LV 5-4 win. Last night Ruf his a HR in his first AB. Cedric Hunter hit his 3rd HR tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT