ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies

Chaz Utley looking decent so far in his return. Will the Phils force him to officially announce his impending retirement to scrape together a few more September ticket sales?

Barring another injury I think there is a better than a 50/50 chance that he gets traded.

Maybe I'm dumb - why would Utley retire? Isn't he signed through 2018 @ $15M per?

No, he needs 500 PA for 2016 to kick in. If he fails to reach that, and he will, then he's a FA.

2026, 2017, and 2018 were all vesting options.

What about Howard's contract? From what I can see - it looks like the Phils are on the hook for $25M in 2016, and then they have a $10M buyout option for 2017 (or it would be $23M if they kept him). Then he's a free agent in 2018.

$25M. That is a staggering number. His production has not been as awful as it was last year but that is an obscene contract for a 35 year old 1B whose best years are well behind him.

They were hoping
but that is an obscene contract for a 35 year old 1B whose best years are well behind him.

(putting on my WcBurrs87 mask)
Technically, it was a contract for a 30-year old slugger comming off his 4th straight 45 HR season, 4th straight top-5 in MVP voting, 4th straight 135+ RBI season and second straight World Series appearance.

What about Howard's contract? From what I can see - it looks like the Phils are on the hook for $25M in 2016, and then they have a $10M buyout option for 2017 (or it would be $23M if they kept him). Then he's a free agent in 2018.

Chuck, you nailed it. That's what it is.

They're going to have to live with this one. Even if they get some team to take him next year, then they probably have to eat 25 of the 35 million due (assuming buyout happens).

Fortunately, they have been able to clear considerable money this year.

They could of been on the hook for...

Hameis 23.5
Lee 27.0
Paplebon 13.0
Utley 15.0

That's 78.5 million that very easily could still be there.

I granted, they did take back 13.2 for 16 & 17 on Matt Harrison in Hamels deal.

Still, a net of 65.3 saved is something.

They were hoping

(putting on my WcBurrs87 mask)
Technically, it was a contract for a 30-year old slugger comming off his 4th straight 45 HR season, 4th straight top-5 in MVP voting, 4th straight 135+ RBI season and second straight World Series appearance.

Solid post from a solid poster.

They basically paid him for past production. They were too cock-strong and rushed to pay him when they didn't need to. Mistake. But at least the end is near.

Chuck, you nailed it. That's what it is.

They're going to have to live with this one. Even if they get some team to take him next year, then they probably have to eat 25 of the 35 million due (assuming buyout happens).

Fortunately, they have been able to clear considerable money this year.

They could of been on the hook for...

Hameis 23.5
Lee 27.0
Paplebon 13.0
Utley 15.0

That's 78.5 million that very easily could still be there.

I granted, they did take back 13.2 for 16 & 17 on Matt Harrison in Hamels deal.

Still, a net of 65.3 saved is something.

Lee's salary is off the books after this season?

Lee's salary is off the books after this season?

Actually, there is a 12.5 buyout. So, they'll save 15 mil there. It was a vesting option if he had pitched 200 innings, then he would have received 27.5 mil.

Franco's x-Rays were negative. Buchanan's ability is also negative.

FYI, while walking through downtown pittsburgh this morning, i saw a guy wearing a Michael Young Phillies t-shirt. No jorts.

Gdog's boy Buchanan with another solid outing -- 11 ER in an inning and two thirds.
th

FYI, while walking through downtown pittsburgh this morning, i saw a guy wearing a Michael Young Phillies t-shirt. No jorts.
I was at a Phillies game about a month ago and I saw a Michael Young t shirt. Also saw a guy in an authentic Rico Brogna jersey.

I was at a Phillies game about a month ago and I saw a Michael Young t shirt. Also saw a guy in an authentic Rico Brogna jersey.
There used to be a lady with season tickets (first level, first base side) who had a garbage bag full of jerseys with her. And she would pull out and wear the jersey of whoever was atbat. I remember watching her put a Todd Pratt jersey on. I was blown away. If she had the backup catcher, did she have the whole roster? There are some serious CoP fans out there.

Altherr gets called up and bangs 2 HRs in 4 games. Darnell Sweeney knocks one out.
Ruiz has 9 errors this year (in 74 games). Turn the oven off on that guy. He's still got another year left on his contract at 8.5m.

not much shaping up in the way of September callups. The rest of the 40 man roster is rubbish. Biddle isn't worth it. It's time to cut Tommy Joseph loose.

Is Ken Giles the top lefty reliever in the NL?

Last edited:
Did the hispanic guy who used to do laps around the 700 level at the Vet take his act to CBP? Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm not sure I do.

I remember the lady who changed jerseys for each batter. I don't remember the guy running laps at the top of the Vet. And more recently, there was the "woo hoo everybody hits" guy right behind the dugout.

I don't think he ran. I think he just briskly walked around the 700 level continuously. Early 90s. We creatively referred to him as Chico Walker.

nickledimer - be shocking if Giles was the best lefty consider you know he throws righty

Seemed like the crowd was 50/50 Met fans last night. Doesn't seem like too long ago I tried to go to a game in April 2008 with 'Nova people and couldn't even buy standing room to that series. I ended up scalping tickets for $35 a piece 10 rows off the field.

I don't think he ran. I think he just briskly walked around the 700 level continuously. Early 90s. We creatively referred to him as Chico Walker.

Potential 30 for 30? Get an idea guy like Shoop on your side and maybe Simmons will get it on hbo

Seemed like the crowd was 50/50 Met fans last night. Doesn't seem like too long ago I tried to go to a game in April 2008 with 'Nova people and couldn't even buy standing room to that series. I ended up scalping tickets for $35 a piece 10 rows off the field.
Happens everywhere.

How much semen did FoyeEffect spill on Twitter last night? Or was he outraged the Mets were hitting home runs instead of trying to work walks?

How much semen did FoyeEffect spill on Twitter last night? Or was he outraged the Mets were hitting home runs instead of trying to work walks?

He wasn't over the top last night. I got the sense that he might have been occupied with something else, but not sure.

He is definitely an interesting character in the Twitter-verse. He and B$ are ranked 1 & 2 with 12-year old type comments concerning their teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT