ADVERTISEMENT

Trumo VP + SCOTUS Picks 5/18 + Riots - 5/27

tjc - how do you propose paying down the debt when you are running a deficit? First, that deficit needs to stop and turn into positive income that can be used to pay down the debt. The only other solution is reallocating major funds to go towards debt. So, I guess we could start spending 200B instead of 700B on defense and put 500B toward the debt if you like. No one seems to want to do that though.
You answered your own question. Stop the deficit spending and run the government on a positive cash flow using that to start to pay down the debt. Nothing makes me more pissed off than some stupid politician running on a ten year plan to cut the deficit!

You answered your own question. Stop the deficit spending and run the government on a positive cash flow using that to start to pay down the debt. Nothing makes me more pissed off than some stupid politician running on a ten year plan to cut the deficit!

Yes, so how is the deficit, as you called it, a 'white elephant'? Also, the deficit has been decreasing each of the last 5 years or so, which is good obviously but projections don't really favor that trend continuing. Next president and congress is going to have to be a lot more cooperative. Hopefully we can keep a lot of these slime ball special interests out of the picture and continue the current trend.

We have an entitlement problem that makes eunning the gov without significant dedicit spending impossible. Ge5brid of those special interests at AARP and all their voters and you have a shot.

Yes, so how is the deficit, as you called it, a 'white elephant'? Also, the deficit has been decreasing each of the last 5 years or so, which is good obviously but projections don't really favor that trend continuing. Next president and congress is going to have to be a lot more cooperative. Hopefully we can keep a lot of these slime ball special interests out of the picture and continue the current trend.
The budget deficit has been decreasing not the overall deficit. You make 5000 grad a month and spend 6000 the following month you only spend 5400, your deficit is now 1400, but you can tell everyone you cut the budget defict 60 percent.

Bottom line the country is 20 trillion in debt, our infastructure is in shambles, our military is incapable of fighting a major power on one front, let alone two, not to mention entitlements, city, state, and federal pension shortfalls.
What have the American people gotten for 20 trillion?
Not totally Obamas doing but the doing of the elitists ruling class in both parties.

We have an entitlement problem that makes eunning the gov without significant dedicit spending impossible. Ge5brid of those special interests at AARP and all their voters and you have a shot.

Castrate all lobbyist...then you have a shot.

Who would be left to staff the Clinton administration?

our military is incapable of fighting a major power on one front, let alone two,
Serious question as I don't know as much about the military as I should: if the US spends more than the next seven biggest spenders in the world combined on our military, why would these other major powers defeat us in a one front war? Are we spending poorly, like with healthcare and education? With our level of spending it seems like we should be in a position to kick the crap out of a few countries at once.

Reactions: as002
But it's a serious question. We don't fight countires, we fight groups with no borders. So it stands to reason the military has different needs. Note, I'm not a defense guy and know little on the subject.

The budget deficit has been decreasing not the overall deficit. You make 5000 grad a month and spend 6000 the following month you only spend 5400, your deficit is now 1400, but you can tell everyone you cut the budget defict 60 percent.

Bottom line the country is 20 trillion in debt, our infastructure is in shambles, our military is incapable of fighting a major power on one front, let alone two, not to mention entitlements, city, state, and federal pension shortfalls.
What have the American people gotten for 20 trillion?
Not totally Obamas doing but the doing of the elitists ruling class in both parties.
Now that 2 of us have explained it, Box+1, maybe it will be understood.

Now that 2 of us have explained it, Box+1, maybe it will be understood.

But you haven't explained why you called it a 'white elephant' - because it's not a white elephant. You can't go into the black like flipping a switch. Changes need to be made and they need to take effect. The deficit must come down before the debt is addressed. We did a fairly good job of this in the late 90s before that all got pissed away. The deficit now is once again trending the right way. So I'm confused why you call deficit, a white elephant. A white elephant is something that is
But it's a serious question. We don't fight countires, we fight groups with no borders. So it stands to reason the military has different needs. Note, I'm not a defense guy and know little on the subject.

Been saying this for years. We fight police wars which are basically wars of intelligence supported by small scale military responses. Yet, we're still building tanks that military personnel tell us not to build. Thanks a lot Lima Tank Company lobbyist. Yet people complain we don't have enough ships or planes are people in the military. Could probably spend about half on this shit and better at it, yet these dopes running want to spend more more more....if you can't get it done with 700B a year, you're doing something wrong. Never understood it - people do not trust the gov't to get anything right in any category - but on this one the gov't gets a free pass. Makes no sense.

Could probably spend about half on this shit and better at it, yet these dopes running want to spend more more more....if you can't get it done with 700B a year, you're doing something wrong. Never understood it - people do not trust the gov't to get anything right in any category - but on this one the gov't gets a free pass. Makes no sense.

All these weapons/systems are expensive equipment that take many, many years to develop, often decades, and highly educated people to do it. It is rocket science. Look at what people with similar backgrounds make in Silicon Valley today. It's expensive, and has to be done in the U.S., which is also expensive.

I'm sure not every investment pays off, but it's not like we developed the ability to wipe people off the face of the Earth with drones, or going back to the first Gulf War, shoot enemy missiles out of the sky overnight.

Lots of R&D and advertising money in the private sector is "wasted" as well, but even if it was half, like has been said about advertising, you don't know which half.

You also can't say for sure what your needs will be 10 or 20 years out. If you give up on some technology today, you may not have it when you need it.

What part did you explain, exactly?
That it's the debt that counts! Continuing to run deficits increases the debt - a pretty simple concept to grasp. So, stupid politicians talking about their 10 year plans to reduce the deficit are full of crap because the debt will continue to mushroom during that 10 year period making the problem worse & worse.

Reactions: Box+1
Or they will continue to monitize the debt further erroding middle America.

Not sure how to explain any better to these guys, tjc, it is basically 4rth grade math. Most people should know the difference between an annual budget and total debt.

Bernie's proposals were analyzed, the plan would increase the debt to 33 trillion

Missing the point. tic calling it a white elephant makes no sense. A white elephant is something you are stuck with that is obsolete. The deficit is not that. Albatross maybe, but not a white elephant. Not sure how you can say 'its the debt that counts!' and discount the deficit. The deficit as noted has been trending the right way, but there's a lot of cans kicked down the road. If you think Obama was saddled with deficit spending (basically 1.5T when he got there), the next one is going to have some major issues to deal with. Personally don't think it's the president on a lot of this stuff (unless you are starting wars, creating new arms of the fed, and drug giveaways) Congress is usually the culprit. No idea why people seem to still believe one party is better at this than the other. Not a shred of evidence to support that.

Is it possible TJC just doesn't know what a white elephant is? I say yes.
Not sure what the interpretation of a white elephant is now, RJLarry, but in my day it was a fictitious representation to cover up the real facts. We may be looking at a generational gap here:eek:

Or 'the elephant in the room'?

The CEO at Tower Records was meeting with his management team to discuss performance. Rather than discuss the elephant in the room (nobody buys CDs), he raised the red herring of continued theft issues, suggesting they improve margins through increased security. Nobody dared tell the 800 pound gorilla that that dog won't hunt. It was of no consequence, as the business was a white elephant that couldn't be saved.
Will tjc be stubborn as a mule or admit he was mistaken?

The CEO at Tower Records was meeting with his management team to discuss performance. Rather than discuss the elephant in the room (nobody buys CDs), he raised the red herring of continued theft issues, suggesting they improve margins through increased security. Nobody dared tell the 800 pound gorilla that that dog won't hunt. It was of no consequence, as the business was a white elephant that couldn't be saved.
Funny post, Dan. Yes, I meant elephant in the room. My bad. I'm still surprised, though, that there are posters who don't get the difference between the deficit and the debt. I guess that's why politicians can get away with all the nonsense about cutting the deficit.

image.png

The documentary on Tower Records was outstanding. Called "All Things Must Pass" if anyone wants to check it out. Highly recommend.

Funny post, Dan. Yes, I meant elephant in the room. My bad. I'm still surprised, though, that there are posters who don't get the difference between the deficit and the debt. I guess that's why politicians can get away with all the nonsense about cutting the deficit.

All of the good to very good posters who were driven away from the newsgroup certainly would have known the difference between a white elephant and a red herring.

All of the good to very good posters who were driven away from the newsgroup certainly would have known the difference between a white elephant and a red herring.
And they'd probably come back if it wasn't for an obsessed freak like you and your anal posts!

So is there any idea on who trumo's vp will be, or are we just going to talk about tic'so idealistic theory of magically cutting spending and increasing revenue without any realistic thought given as to how to accomplish that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT