ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hinkie as Sixers GM remembered

refute anything I've said Huck. You've dodged every FACT put in front of you.

The sixers are not great. They won't be next year. Or the year after. They are worse off for this entire experiment. There's nothing else you can say that will make that change.

raw

refute anything I've said Huck. You've dodged every FACT put in front of you.

The sixers are not great. They won't be next year. Or the year after. They are worse off for this entire experiment. There's nothing else you can say that will make that change.

I love when you pull out the Huck bit.

Back on point: The Sixers are better positioned today then they were when Hinkie took over. It's not just me that says this, but people who cover the league.

Like the one article I posted said, so what they sacrificed a couple of 30-win seasons.

You guys act like Hinkie blew up the '83 Sixers instead of the '13 version.

Now, all they need is for BC to make some good decisions. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jackal, so I know who I'm dealing with. What was your last screen name? Are you a Sixers fan? A fan of another team? Or, just someone who likes to discuss a sport where you have no rooting interest? Thanks in advance.

I don't know much about this , but I have heard more than one insider say that Hinkie's ability to be in a room with people and be dynamic was utterly lacking. There was major concern about him being able to lure ANY free agents and sell them on this team. He is apparently, uncomfortable and awkward to be around. Agents disliked dealing with him - and actually chose not to engage him if they could. Long awkward pauses after questions, answering questions with questions etc. So they brought in a couple of old school NBA boys clubbers. Not sure if that's true or what but I can see that.

The common consensus among NBA insiders is this is the best situation Bryan Colangelo has ever stepped into. Must be because of that terrible job Hinkie did setting the table for him. He laid the ball up on a tee for Colangelo.

I don't know much about this , but I have heard more than one insider say that Hinkie's ability to be in a room with people and be dynamic was utterly lacking. There was major concern about him being able to lure ANY free agents and sell them on this team. He is apparently, uncomfortable and awkward to be around. Agents disliked dealing with him - and actually chose not to engage him if they could. Long awkward pauses after questions, answering questions with questions etc. So they brought in a couple of old school NBA boys clubbers. Not sure if that's true or what but I can see that.

Sounds plausible and I wouldn't be surprised if it was accurate. I think it's 100% the reason they brought in the C's.

I think agents disliked him because he sat on a ton of money and wouldn't entertain their clients, but I don't blame him at this stage. But moving forward that was going to have to change.

Jackal, so I know who I'm dealing with. What was your last screen name? Are you a Sixers fan? A fan of another team? Or, just someone who likes to discuss a sport where you have no rooting interest? Thanks in advance.

TickleMeJake. It's an "alt"

Other than the other owners being fed up with the Sixers costing them $ by putting a product on the floor their fans refused to pay to see come to town...what you mentioned was the other sticking point. Hinkie had a poor rapport with agents - mainly because of the tanking. Sixers ultimately felt they couldn't get agents of free agents to take the Sixers seriously with a GM who had so blatantly treated players like cattle.

Or, you do t understand how the NBA works. Of the four major sports it is by far the hardest to great at and the one where you need the most luck. Something else not really debatable.
You continue to attack me but ignore the facts I've presented. Stockholm syndrome 101.

Well, he did resign and Harris said repeatedly that he wanted him to stay on board. But we can ignore all that to appease your version. No biggie....
Right....you really don't understand how the world works do you?

Sam, c'mon in. We really want you to stay. Sure we hired someone for your job but we gave him another title and will continue saying all the right things. After 3 years of this nonsense we all look bad enough. No need to embarrass each other anymore. We're going to strip you of key decision making ability, cut your pay and move your office. However, we still believe in you and look forward to your valuable input which we will ignore. Keep up the great work.

Last year the board got you to try a taco. This year we'll embark on broader horizons. Baby steps.

Last edited:
TMJ got locked up this year, too? I had heard that he got intent to distribute but thought it was just a joke.

TMJ was drunk and said something inappropriate about someone's significant other. He is very sorry.

He also might have posted a picture of said significant other. He's not sure. He was drunk.

No, not her. TMJ Made a mistake and would like to thank the moderators for not rebanning him.

Read the posts right above, pal. You're just 4for4ing now. There aren't even goalpost to move anymore. You're just trying to stay afloat and survive all the pro-Hinkie rhetoric that you've swallowed.

I never said there weren't any good FAs for them to sign. I believe they haven't reached that part of the process yet..

Right....you really don't understand how the world works do you?

Sam, c'mon in. We really want you to stay. Sure we hired someone for your job but we gave him another title and will continue saying all the right things. After 3 years of this nonsense we all look bad enough. No need to embarrass each other anymore. We're going to strip you of key decision making ability, cut your pay and move your office. However, we still believe in you and look forward to your valuable input which we will ignore. Keep up the great work.

Last year the board got you to try a taco. This year we'll embark on broader horizons. Baby steps.

Tacos were 3 years ago. Keep up.

Fact: He was never fired. They wanted him to stay one. Demoted? Yes. Having someone come in to share responsibilities to strengthen his weaknesses? Yes. Fired? No. Just facts here....

He wasn't fired, he was replaced in his job. It's semantics for the lawyers to work out before his final settlement is agreed. There is no practical difference. I realize this is lost on you. As I said when Colangelo came in, that was Hinkie's last day as the guy running the Sixers. It was lost on you then and now. Colangelo wasn't coming in there to help Hinkie do the job. He replaced him.

I never said there weren't any good FAs for them to sign. I believe they haven't reached that part of the process yet..
Can you sketch out a timeline for the process? Use this template:
Year 1: Tank, draft injured center, hit salary cap floor by eating bad contracts in exchange for 2nd rounders
Year 2: Tank, draft reeeally injured center and unavailable Euro, hit salary cap floor by eating bad contracts in exchange for 2nd rounders
Year 3: Tank, draft another center, hit salary cap floor by eating bad contracts in exchange for 2nd rounders
Year 4:
Year 5
Year 6:
Year 7:
Year 8:
Year 9:

Last edited:
Can you sketch out a timeline for the process? Use this template:
Year 1: Tank, draft injured center, hit salary cap floor by eating bad contracts in exchange for 2nd rounders
Year 2: Tank, draft reeeally injured center, hit salary cap floor by eating bad contracts in exchange for 2nd rounders
Year 3: Tank, draft another center, hit salary cap floor by eating bad contracts in exchange for 2nd rounders
Year 4:
Year 5
Year 6:
Year 7:
Year 8:
Year 9:

You forgot in year 2 - draft euro guy who won't play for 3 years....maybe

You forgot in year 2 - draft euro guy who won't play for 3 years....maybe
I made the appropriate edit. But remember:
1. It's too soon to tell if he will play or not.
2. I never said he would play.
3. I never guaranteed he would play.
4. People who say he will not play are not big enough fans.
5. If you're not a big enough fan, why do you care.
6. Even if you're right, you're wrong because I hedged all my statements I made with intentionally vague and/or contradictory statements.

Last edited:
Attack? How so?

Not ignoring anything. I don't agree with you on everything.
Your response to facts is: you just don't understand basketball.

That's not addressing the situation or facts. That's addressing me personally and labeling me as an idiot.

Keep going Burrsy, you're doing just great.

Do you guys ever think you'll get tired of this?

i was on board with it. Nothing has worked. I understood it was going to blow for a few years. Hinkie's gone. Oh well, let's move onto the next guy. He is in better shape than Hinkie was when he started. Pretty much indisputable.

Do you guys ever think you'll get tired of this?

i was on board with it. Nothing has worked. I understood it was going to blow for a few years. Hinkie's gone. Oh well, let's move onto the next guy. He is in better shape than Hinkie was when he started. Pretty much indisputable.

So let's take a look at the post above.

You were on board with a crappy plan for an NBA franchise rebuild.
It didn't work. You are okay with that because you secretly knew that it wouldn't work, but were a 76ers management cheerleader anyway.
You just admitted that it didn't work, despite denying it for the previous 5 pages.

How are you anti-Hinkie folk labeling the "process" in past tense terms when the large majority of the talent hasn't even stepped on the court yet? Saric won't be any good? Embiid won't stay healthy? They won't get a top 2 pick this year? The Lakers pick won't convey? They won't get any decent FAs with all the #CAPSPACE? They won't do anything with the Heat or Thunder #1s? The future Kings #1 and the future Magic #1 won't be anything? Even tho those franchises blow and will draft high? Okafor won't develop into a cornerstone? How can you throw all these variables into a bag and speak on them in past tense? Doesn't make any sense.

I can understand questioning what they've been doing, but definitively writing the book on it? When what they had when Hinkie entered was a less than mediocre pile of sheet led by Jrue 1 leg Holiday and Evan Turner? Christ you would think Hinkie actually inherited something that wasn't garbage. Not to mention not only did he inherit garbage but the team didn't even have a #1 pick for 2 of the next 3 seasons in the cupboard.

So let's take a look at the post above.

You were on board with a crappy plan for an NBA franchise rebuild.
It didn't work. You are okay with that because you secretly knew that it wouldn't work, but were a 76ers management cheerleader anyway.
You just admitted that it didn't work, despite denying it for the previous 5 pages.

Not sure how, "nothing has worked," got in there. That's not what I meant. My auto correct probably did something.

To be clear, I still believe the team can be successful based off of what Hinkie did. Again, BC is in a better position than Hinkie was.

Not sure how, "nothing has worked," got in there. That's not what I meant. My auto correct probably did something.

To be clear, I still believe the team can be successful based off of what Hinkie did. Again, BC is in a better position than Hinkie was.

That's not even remotely debatable.

That's not even remotely debatable.

Apparently, it is.....Just read they this thread.

ADP, simple question. Please, give a simple answer.

Is BC in better position compared to Sam Hinkie when he took over? Reminder. Simple answer.

II don't know what you are asking? Boston Celtics, Boston college? Wtf are you talking about? The sixers are the third year of being a dumpster fire and Sam hinkie lost his job while drafting all the wrong guys he tanked to get. He sucks and the sixers have nothing but more draft picks and nowhere close to competING after 3 tank jobs.

Reactions: cleanwave
II don't know what you are asking? Boston Celtics, Boston college? Wtf are you talking about? The sixers are the third year of being a dumpster fire and Sam hinkie lost his job while drafting all the wrong guys he tanked to get. He sucks and the sixers have nothing but more draft picks and nowhere close to competING after 3 tank jobs.

BC is B. Colangelo.

Purposely being a dumpster fire. We're in agreement there.

Please answer a fukking question one time.

Using roster, cap space, and picks as starting points, who took over in better position? Hinkie or BC?

I think the sixers were a middling team and became the laughing stock of the league under hinkie. The view of the team under his reign is one which they would never recover or attract talent. He had to go. He left some picks and destroyed the place in the #process.

Burrs, it's interesting. You like ti explain how you are the guy who understands the nba. Yet, in the Era of free agents and agents steering guys to super teams you completely discount the broad damage hinkie did to the sixers standing among the players, agents and people who control the game. For a guy who likes to tell everyone how much he knows about the pro game you seem to miss the forest through the trees. You focus on the chance to pick a bunch of 19 year old kids, you still must get the right ones and hinkie did not, who are years away.

Reactions: The_Expansion_Crew
I think the sixers were a middling team and became the laughing stock of the league under hinkie. The view of the team under his reign is one which they would never recover or attract talent. He had to go. He left some picks and destroyed the place in the #process.

In other words you can't/won't answer the question. Ok, fair enough. I'm disappointed.

I just did. Hinkie was awful. You want to point to a few picks they killed years and credibility to get. Heck, the agents told the sixers not to draft their players. See porzingis, maybe this is why they took the bum okafor? Who knows. It's about getting players right? Hinkie destroyed any chances of that happening and picked the wrong guys. You gloss over those facts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT